Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

ulmont posted:

This is how I usually play; I think it works pretty well.

Except you get an opinion malus for elective with non-dynasty vassals, negating the opinion bonus for having dynastic vassals in the first place.

quote:

When you have dozens of potential heirs to nominate and can always pick the 20+ diplo guy, civil wars aren't a problem anymore. Admittedly, it helps if you can get the inevitable permanent-revolt-on-an-island for the +50 relations boost.

You can't do that anymore, RoI removed that opinion bonus.

quote:

I have to try a game where I don't reform (so that all my pagan vassals are forced to keep breaking up their realms and can't build up to revolt) but go Tanistry (so that I get the best elective result).

I tried that when reforming the religion was bugged. You need to keep on top of your vassals, replacing those that convert. I found this manageable since I was briefly Orthodox, so I could create the Byzantine Empire and raise Crown Authority to Medium, so I could freely revoke duchies to get at the converted counts, and freely revoke the counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Edison was a dick posted:

Except you get an opinion malus for elective with non-dynasty vassals, negating the opinion bonus for having dynastic vassals in the first place.

You sure about that? I thought it was an elective bonus for non-dynasty vassals followed by a malus for dynasty members.

You can't do that anymore, RoI removed that opinion bonus.

Well, that part sucks. I rolled back to 2.0.4 and have been waiting for the full patch to try RoI out.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I tried that when reforming the religion was bugged. You need to keep on top of your vassals, replacing those that convert. I found this manageable since I was briefly Orthodox, so I could create the Byzantine Empire and raise Crown Authority to Medium, so I could freely revoke duchies to get at the converted counts, and freely revoke the counts.

Yeah, the major problem with that approach is that eventually your vassals simply won't be pagan anymore and you can't ask them to convert back. Without free revocation you're then kind of stuck.

In my game I ended up getting really serious about reforming the faith after the Danish Queen and my son I'd married to her both turned Christian and the various Norse lords in Ireland and England started doing likewise.

[edit] I also started getting spammed with bishops trying to convert me from Christian rulers and I presume the same was happening to other Norse rulers and some of them would have bitten or did bite. For me it was just more handy prisoners for the blot...

Btw, someone mentioned sacrifices to Kali not incurring tyranny, neither do sacrifices in the blot as far as I can tell.

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 9, 2014

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Jabu posted:

Only works reliably if you own the duchy the capital is in.

Working around Gavelkind has been an experience. I've found that the best way to deal with things is to have one duchy per son and one county in each duchy. Gavelkind will be satisfied by giving county+duchy to each inheritor and will leave your capital duchy completely unmolested. Easy and reliable.

That makes sense, although they've made it much harder to kill your children which means that you've got to conquer like crazy to keep enough duchies to stay safe, and if you're going to do that then you might as well just set out to rush reforming the faith.

Munin posted:

Btw, someone mentioned sacrifices to Kali not incurring tyranny, neither do sacrifices in the blot as far as I can tell.

Yeah they don't.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One minor correction DStecks' excellent summary: a mercenary company that doesn't receive pay may also defect to the enemy and fight for them or simply quit and disband as though you had dismissed them, in addition to the seizing your land thing. It's a minor bullet-point under the major point of "Always Pay Your Goddamn Mercenaries," but land-seizing isn't the only possible action they'll take.

Great post, though, that should be in the OP or some other easily-referable place.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

DStecks posted:

:siren: EFFORTPOST ON COMBAT IN CKII :siren:
Mercenaries are soldiers for hire, they're a quick but temporary and insanely expensive way to bulk up your army. They cost absurd sums of gold per month to maintain, and so cannot be maintained for long periods of time unless you're rolling in cash. MAJOR WARNING: if you run out of gold with Mercenaries hired, they will quit, then declare war on you, and seize a province. They usually win. I've personally seen Venice wiped out by mercs who didn't get their paycheque on time.

If you're playing as a Merchant Republic, then Retinues and Mercs will be making up the backbone of your army in place of levies.

In my last long-running game in Italy, every merchant republic had been taken over by mercenaries by the year 1200. So I was wondering whether the troop composition has any impact on movement speed. I noticed that the Horsey icon is a lot slower than the Man With Spear icon in areas with rough terrain.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ulmont posted:

You sure about that? I thought it was an elective bonus for non-dynasty vassals followed by a malus for dynasty members.
It is. Dynasty members get a -5 opinion malus if you run elective succession, essentially canceling out the +5 from being of the same dynasty. The most popular succession laws with dynastic vassals are tanistry, seniority, or gavelkind, each of which gives +10.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DStecks posted:

War cannot be declared if you have any levies raised. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Not true. You can't declare war, but someone can declare war on you. This is helpful if you know you're going to be invaded soon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This can also be exploited- if you're about to revoke a title or arrest someone dangerous, get your army out and carpet his holdings before you send it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

JGBeagle posted:

Not true. You can't declare war, but someone can declare war on you. This is helpful if you know you're going to be invaded soon.

Sorry, that was an error in phrasing. I meant to convey that you cannot declare war if you have levies raised.

As for the other correction, I'll repost it for this page with the errors fixed.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

:siren: EFFORTPOST ON COMBAT IN CKII :siren: [revised]

While I'm sure there are people in thread more knowledgeable about the combat system, I feel like there needs to be a fairly easy-to-understand breakdown of how combat works in CKII and how you should tailor your strategies around it. While this is fairly advanced stuff, I'll be writing so that completely new players can get up to speed.

1) The Basics

Crusader Kings II is unlike most any other strategy game you've played, in that you do not maintain a standing army (not counting retinues, which we'll get to later). To wage war, you "raise" your "levies", which are local soldiers pledged to you by their feudal master, who is your vassal (or you, in the case of your demesne). Levies are only raised in times of war, and are not maintained during peacetime. You cannot declare war if you have any levies raised. There are no exceptions to this rule. However, war can be declared on you even if you have levies raised. This can be exploited in a variety of ways that will be left to the reader to deduce.

The makeup of your levies is determined by the holding from which they originate; the castles, cities, and bishoprics which make up every county. Holdings can be developed with buildings which increase the number and type of levies that it produces. Some buildings contribute to specific soldier types: stables add Cavalry, militia training grounds add Light Infantry and Archers, etc. Other buildings give a percentage boost to the levy as a whole. Castles tend to give the best levies, and they are the ones you'll want to develop the most.

Buildings determine the maximum levy, though, and you can't always raise the maximum levy. This is dependent upon the owner of the holding's opinion of you, or of his liege's opinion of you, or of his liege's opinion of you. Be warned that you can only raise from your vassals however many soldiers they themselves can raise; so if one of your vassals is detested by his underlings, then you won't get as many troops from him, even if your relationship with him is perfect.

Martial score also determines how many soldiers can be raised from your own personal holdings. With a high martial score, this can be a very significant boost, but a low martial score carries a significant penalty. Again, this carries over to your vassals: the higher their martial scores, the more troops they can raise for you.

So, with all these factors accounted for, we now have an army.

2) Terrain and Movement

The map in CKII is province-based (in CKII, province and county are usually synonymous terms), and each province has an assigned terrain type. Certain terrain types give substantial defensive bonuses; these are forest, hills, mountain, and jungle. Some provinces also have rivers running between them and an adjacent province, which functions like defensive terrain, but only if the attacker is arriving from a specific province. Sometimes this is obvious (i.e. when the provinces are separated by a viking-sailable river), and sometimes it is not. To check for certain if a province has rivers on any of its borders, simply click on it and look for a small icon that looks like a river separating two pieces of land, on the far right and about half-way down the province UI. Defensive bonuses stack, so attacking a mountain province across a major river will be almost certain doom unless you massively outnumber the enemy.

The same penalties for river crossings apply to armies crossing straits and armies landing from boats. A MAJOR WARNING: Armies will always be at half morale coming off a boat, so amphibious assaults are ill-advised, unless you hugely outnumber the enemy, or have no other choice (i.e. they're on a one-province island not accessible by strait).

The travel times between provinces are predefined, and are generally longer across river crossings. The AI has perfect knowledge of these travel times, and if it does not believe it can win a battle, it will generally flee to a province it can reach before your army arrives, if such a province exists. This is usually called Benny Hill combat, and yes, it's incredibly annoying, but sometimes it can work to your favour. Because major river crossings usually add travel time, the AI will often flee to a less-defensible province, rather than take advantage of your considerable penalty.

Army composition appears to have an effect on travel time (with cavalry being faster than infantry, and possibly other esoteric modifiers) but this seems so minor and so hard to control for that it's hardly worth mentioning.

Commanders can also get bonuses which kick in when they fight in specific terrain types, but that will be covered in the next section.

3) Commanders

This is one of the most vital aspects of army composition, especially in the early game before you get a chance to really develop your holdings.

In CKII, an army consists of three "flanks", and each flank is led by a commander. Martial skill is generally the most important consideration, though other aspects do come into play. For every point of martial skill, a commander's flank gets a 2% bonus to damage. More importantly than this, though, martial skill influences which "tactics" the commander will decide to use. This will be covered in the Tactics section.

You always want to make sure that your armies are led by the best commanders available, since this is one of the places where you have the most real input for your army's performance. Levy composition is complicated to control for, and generally makes less difference than the skill of the commander leading them. A martial education does not always mean that they will have the highest martial score, however, characters with the best martial education get a free "leadership" trait, which is usually desirable.

Leadership traits confer specific bonuses, some of which are situational, some of which are general. You want to ensure that you are always playing to your commanders' strengths, so, for example, a character with the "flanker" trait should be leading a side flank, not the centre column. Because they are so unique, you'll simply need to employ judgement in assigning leaders to the best possible flank.

There are, however, certain "bad" traits which can sabotage a character's ability to command. Wroth, Craven, Lisp, Stutter, Slothful, Shy, and Cruel all allow their commander to choose "bad tactics" which can give penalties to their flank. However, a martial score higher than 7 will decrease the odds that these tactics will be selected, except for the bad tactic selected by Cruel commanders, which is only mitigated by a martial score of 10 or higher.

Some tactics are specific to certain cultures, but this will be covered in the section on tactics, and again with retinues.

4) Phases of Combat

OK, so you've entered combat. Now what?

Combat in CKII takes place in three (well, technically four) phases: Skirmish, Melee, and Pursuit. Skirmish is always the initial phase, where archers and horse archers do their best work. After a few days, the phase will switch to Melee, where heavy infantry and pikemen excel. If the morale of a flank drops to 25%, then it enters the Retreat phase, during which it does no damage. A flank attacking a retreating flank will enter the Pursuit phase, during which cavalry are most effective. A fleeing flank will be removed from combat after 5 days. Not all flanks will switch phase together, and can be in completely different phases, depending on the battle.

Each flank will attack its opposite flank, if this is not possible because its opposite has retreated, or there was never a flank in that position to begin with, then it will attack an adjacent flank. When this happens, the defending flank will take huge casualties, not only because it is being attacked by two flanks, but because a flank aiding another gains a 30% flanking bonus to damage. This is a truly considerable bonus, and combat is often decided by the first side to lose a flank. For this reason, you want to ensure that you always have troops assigned to all three flanks of an army.

5) Combat Tactics

During combat, a commander will select a "tactic" to employ, based on the makeup of his flank, and his skill as a commander. Tactics give huge bonuses to specific soldier types, and this is where martial skill becomes the most important. The better a commander, the more likely they are to pick the tactic which maximizes the flank's combat ability.

I've already touched on "bad tactics", but particularly good commanders with specific traits also gain access to special "good tactics", which provide an even greater bonus. Brave, Quick, Zealous, and Possessed are the four non-leadership traits which enable special "good tactics".

There are also some "cultural tactics", only available to commanders from a specific culture. These usually exist to maximize the benefit of that culture's favoured soldier type; Italian commanders have a special "Pike Column Advance" tactic which gives a large bonus to Pikemen, who are trained in the Italian unique building. The Altaic special tactic can even shift combat back to the Skirmish phase.

See here for a complete list of combat tactics.

6) Retinues, Holy Orders, and Mercenaries

Beyond levies, your armies can be reinforced with Retinues, Holy Orders, and Mercenaries.

Retinues are a standing army which you can directly control the composition of. Selecting your culture-specific retinue is usually recommended, in cases where this is non-optimal (Ethiopian cultural retinue is Light Infantry, Iberian retinue is defensive Cavalry), then Shock is usually the recommended retinue makeup. Heavy infantry is the best in the Melee phase, where the bulk of combat actually happens. There is no inherent bonus to having a diverse retinue.

Retinues are very expensive to recruit and reinforce, but once they exist, they cost little maintenance. And yeah, they're pretty drastically ahistorical, but we don't care so much because they're so useful.

Holy Orders can be recruited for a piety cost, and are far cheaper than Mercenaries or Retinues of equivalent size. However, they are not always available at every point in history, and will not do combat with armies of the same religion. Only reformed religions have access to Holy Orders (unless the unique Jomsvikings event fires).

Mercenaries are soldiers for hire, they're a quick but temporary and insanely expensive way to bulk up your army. They cost absurd sums of gold per month to maintain, and so cannot be maintained for long periods of time unless you're rolling in cash. MAJOR WARNING: if you run out of gold with Mercenaries hired, they will either quit, join the other side, or quit and then declare war on you, and seize a province. They usually win. I've personally seen Venice wiped out by mercs who didn't get their paycheque on time. The bottom line: keep your mercs paid, and if you fear you may run out of funds, disband them before the money runs out.

If you're playing as a Merchant Republic, then Retinues and Mercs will be making up the backbone of your army in place of levies.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Also note that vassals will get angry and have a stacking negative opinion modifier the longer you have their levies raised. Pagans get to avoid this but have to war or raid every two years.

Another point is that after a while your levies will replenish but in order to get them you have to stand down the current levies of that county and reraise them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Has there been any feedback from the Devs on the bugs that the Beta patch doesn't address? Mostly importantly the trade posts?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
There have been several posts by developers in the beta patch thread over on the Paradox forums regarding remaining bugs.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has there been any feedback from the Devs on the bugs that the Beta patch doesn't address? Mostly importantly the trade posts?

The cause of the bug was found so it will probably be patched in the final version.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nice. And are the crazy revolt rates in India fixed?

Y (not retroactively tho so you'd have to start a new game to get rid of them)

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 10, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Already fixed. The modifiers are now both timed (10 years?) and weaker than they were originally.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I just wanted to toss in on the topic of modded matrilineal marriage for Muslims, it's entirely possible, but there is no UI element for it. So the AI will totally do it, but as a player I couldn't because the check box didn't appear. I think you'd have to mod the actual UI to change this, which I am not sure how to do at all.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alright, got a little more done on the postapocalyptic America project:

And I've been sorting out de jure kingdoms (and duchies) a bit:

But religion's just a little confounding-- implemented a Rust Belt-area paganism, the "machine cult", but then remembered that was a Warhammer 40k thing. Some sort of paganism involving worship inside the husks of old factories and veneration of whatever rusted wrecks of assembly lines and so forth are still around would be rad, but I dunno if using a name some folks might identify as a WH40k thing is the right way to go about it.

cemaphonic
Jan 1, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Some sort of paganism involving worship inside the husks of old factories and veneration of whatever rusted wrecks of assembly lines and so forth are still around would be rad, but I dunno if using a name some folks might identify as a WH40k thing is the right way to go about it.

If you haven't yet read Michael Chabon's story In the Black Mill, you should do so.

Did Paradox make raiding harder by making it take longer to get back to your ships in the last few months? I'm playing a Norse game for the first time in quite awhile, and am getting caught by armies more frequently than I remember, even when I'm on the ball about getting them moving as soon as a threatening army appears.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ofaloaf posted:

But religion's just a little confounding-- implemented a Rust Belt-area paganism, the "machine cult", but then remembered that was a Warhammer 40k thing. Some sort of paganism involving worship inside the husks of old factories and veneration of whatever rusted wrecks of assembly lines and so forth are still around would be rad, but I dunno if using a name some folks might identify as a WH40k thing is the right way to go about it.

Why not go maximum awesome? Name the religion "The Rust".

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Name it "The Teknokult".

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Beamed posted:

This.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So weird bug, there's a retinue of the Makurian Emirate just in the middle of the Sahara Desert, not inside the borders of any territory. They've been there for hundreds of years, they must be thirsty.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ofaloaf posted:

This looks pretty good, but unless your apocalypse changed the flow of rivers, I'm not sure some of your new borders make sense (for example, the border between (old) Georgia and South Carolina is mostly the Savannah River, which your new borders seem to randomly straddle).

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ulmont posted:

(for example, the border between (old) Georgia and South Carolina is mostly the Savannah River, which your new borders seem to randomly straddle).
Guilty about that one. Intentionally made a Duchy of Savannah that straddled the river, as (segments of) watersheds have been the basis for several duchies thus far, rather than having the rivers themselves be the lines between de jure polities. It makes some naming easier to do, at least.

e: I mean, poo poo, if you controlled Savannah itself, you'd probably try to take over both banks upriver, right?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 10, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I guess 'Fordism' or something would make sense. 'The Rust' is a pretty cool name for a religion but im not sure if it lends itself as well to cool sounding adjectives that you will need, 'rustist' sounds dumb, though i guess 'Disciple of the Rust' or something like that could work, a bit long winded though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Beamed posted:

Do this and name the region/kingdom "The Rust Bowl"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Whilst mousing over territories in the De Jure Kingdoms map-mode, I discovered that duchies are actually drifting into revolting states.

1)Does anyone know what actually happens if one of these revolts lasts 100 years, and a duchy actually drifts into it?
2)This is probably a bug.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Is there any way to speed up claim fabrication? I find my current king of Greece game getting really really boring because I spend the vast majority of time waiting for claims to fabricate so I can actually do anything. I've been trying to scheme my way into winning the election but somehow the realm has become rock solid and it's been hard for me to rock the boat in any meaningful way.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Solarflare posted:

Is there any way to speed up claim fabrication? I find my current king of Greece game getting really really boring because I spend the vast majority of time waiting for claims to fabricate so I can actually do anything. I've been trying to scheme my way into winning the election but somehow the realm has become rock solid and it's been hard for me to rock the boat in any meaningful way.

If your (competent) chancellor sits on a province for 10 years without fabricating a claim he was most likely bribed. Relocate him to another county/duchy you want to take.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

How do I search for traits, as opposed to names, with the new character finder update? I'm trying to find a Sayyid woman to kidnap and then convert my Norsemen into pious Muslims.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^- just type the trait name where you would a character name.

Official patch for RoI is up now!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Do you plan to extend the map further west? While I appreciate that you can be the Duke of New York, it wouldn't be the same if you couldn't aspire to be Prince of Bel Air or the Emperor of the United States.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jedit posted:

Do you plan to extend the map further west? While I appreciate that you can be the Duke of New York, it wouldn't be the same if you couldn't aspire to be Prince of Bel Air or the Emperor of the United States.
Of course! DrSunshine has expressed interest in this project, asked, and so he's got some ideas he's working out for the West Coast. I intend to cover as much of the map as possible, but Lord knows exactly how much that'll end up being.

I figured Emperor of the United States would probably be a restored Roman Empire dealio, but :shrug:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Ofaloaf posted:

This will sound spergy as hell but can you keep the Delaware Peninsula united so it's all neat and pretty :suicide:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I assume you are going to make all the boring rectangular states in the middle uninhabitable radioactive wasteland?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

marktheando posted:

I assume you are going to make all the boring rectangular states in the middle uninhabitable radioactive wasteland?
Why would that be done? :confused:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

Why would that be done? :confused:

To minimise the number of provinces they have to spend time making, and also to make it more like Judge Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

Are you basing de jure kingdoms on US states? If so, what are the de jure duchies based on?

• Locked thread