Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

100% inside (:downsrim:) but the top was down. Apparently the roll bar works well to hold on to.

E: really? This gets to be a new page?

Content: 225 RS3's and 15x9's ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

televiper posted:

Locks keep honest people honest. Thieves are assholes and will cut your top anyway.

(And maybe he has a hardtop, smarty)

So what are you supposed to do then, leave a sign on the car that says "Locked for honest people"? Thieves will try opening the door before they cut a top so it's not worth the risk imo.

Just don't leave anything of value in the car and there's no reason to lock it. Also it's a convertible, so get used to people throwing trash/peanuts/rubbers in it. Every convertible I've ever owned had that problem, but it's not bad enough that I'm going to put the top/windows up every time I park the car.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

leica posted:

So what are you supposed to do then, leave a sign on the car that says "Locked for honest people"? Thieves will try opening the door before they cut a top so it's not worth the risk imo.

Just don't leave anything of value in the car and there's no reason to lock it. Also it's a convertible, so get used to people throwing trash/peanuts/rubbers in it. Every convertible I've ever owned had that problem, but it's not bad enough that I'm going to put the top/windows up every time I park the car.

We have examples IN THIS THREAD where thieves slashed the top while the doors were unlocked.

Don't leave anything of value in any car if you can help it, don't park in crappy places, lock your doors to keep condoms and bums out, and carry a low deductible on your comprehensive insurance - I just checked and taking mine from $500 to ZERO will increase my premium by $50 a year.

So I'm going to update my policy, lock my doors, and not worry.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

televiper posted:

We have examples IN THIS THREAD where thieves slashed the top while the doors were unlocked.

I don't remember any examples of that, but it sounds more like vandals than thieves.

Either way, locking the doors is pointless imo.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

leica posted:

I don't remember any examples of that, but it sounds more like vandals than thieves.

Either way, locking the doors is pointless imo.

Check your insurance. Mine (LV in the UK) states:

quote:

We won’t pay for:
* loss or damage to your car by theft or attempted theft if your car has been left unlocked;
* loss or damage to your car by theft or attempted theft if your car has been left with a window or roof open;
[...]
* the theft or attempted theft of personal belongings if your car has been left unlocked or with a window or roof open;

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I can leave my car unlocked, running, windows / top down, keys in it and it's still fully covered in the event of thieft vandalism etc. Your insurance policy sucks.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Edmund Honda posted:

quote:

We won’t pay for:
* loss or damage to your car by theft or attempted theft if your car has been left unlocked;
* loss or damage to your car by theft or attempted theft if your car has been left with a window or roof open;
[...]
* the theft or attempted theft of personal belongings if your car has been left unlocked or with a window or roof open;

All this means to me is "Lock your poo poo up before you call the appraiser or the police."

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doh. I just saw a NB with a 6 speed transmission and a wrecked body for practically free. I have a perfect 1997 shell to drop everything into. I also still have an assembled 3.63 ratio differential to actually make use of that 6 speed too. Guess I'm building another Miata if the guy gets back to me.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

craig588 posted:

Doh. I just saw a NB with a 6 speed transmission and a wrecked body for practically free. I have a perfect 1997 shell to drop everything into. I also still have an assembled 3.63 ratio differential to actually make use of that 6 speed too. Guess I'm building another Miata if the guy gets back to me.

Where do you live again, cause I'd help with that project. It's basically my long term platonic ideal of a Miata.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Edmund Honda posted:

So all I have to do then is lie and say my doors were locked.

Besides I wouldn't make a claim unless it was stolen and/or completely trashed.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I never really had an opinion about stanced cars until today. I went to look at the car and the drivetrain was good enough to buy it, but I was too scared to drive it. I just had visions of a wheel turning a little too far, catching on a fender and seizing up in traffic. Hopefully I'll be able to get a trailer down there by this weekend.

No offense intended toward anyone, but I own a garage in a bad area so I feel better if I don't have a lot of people going over there just in case it gets broken into one day I won't end up suspicious of everyone.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Am I right in thinking a 08 Miata listed as a Sport but with a 6 speed, tan top and tan leather seats/door cards is actually a GT? Sadly the pics that would really tell me aren't available.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Am I right in thinking a 08 Miata listed as a Sport but with a 6 speed, tan top and tan leather seats/door cards is actually a GT? Sadly the pics that would really tell me aren't available.

Yeah, that's a GT. 6-speed could make it a touring, but tan cloth top and leather was GT.

http://www.miata.net/faq/brochures/...I8djwhgliLPgd6A

televiper fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 6, 2014

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

craig588 posted:

No offense intended toward anyone, but I own a garage in a bad area so I feel better if I don't have a lot of people going over there just in case it gets broken into one day I won't end up suspicious of everyone.

Wait, are you saying that some of us run a long con with the forums to one day rob a fellow goon? Or just don't want to attract attention to the garage from the neighbours?

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I spent 12 hours yesterday and got the top installed.

Surprisingly, this was the best tool for removing those things to get the carpet out:

We found the right angle screwdriver about 15 minutes after removing the screw at the bottom of the B pillar with this contraption:

Then here's one of the drain holes:

:barf:

After vacuuming:

Finished:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dooooooooohhhh. New 6ULs aren't going to be ready until the end of the year. Gen 3s are sold out eveywhere and the benefits of gen 4 make it seem worth it to wait instead of trying to find someones used set.

quote:

Gen 4 6UL's wil have rotary forged rims and probably cost less than gen 3's, be significantly lighter and have a load rating 10% over industry standard. We'll call that standard spec949. Catchy? We are hoping to have 15x8's and 9's towards the end of this year. Far too early to take orders, estimate ship dates or provide any specific technical details.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

So I was looking at an NC at a dealer here and they had a 2012 grand touring in white with beige leather. The brochure doesn't list white as a color option, and my searches show it was reserved for the PRHT special editions. This is a soft top with beige/tan top and leather seats. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: appears it was a $200 cost option

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 7, 2014

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Anybody using Cibie E-codes on their NA? I had a sealed beam blow out a week ago and just found the time to replace them. I noticed that the Cibies have a wide tab on the housings which keep it from sitting flush in the headlight mount. The chrome retaining ring was a little difficult to put on and I wasn't too keen on torquing down those screws too hard in fears of stressing the ring to the point of failure. If I find the time, I should probably sand those tabs down so it'll sit flush. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before. Threw in some Silverstar Ultras and just waiting for night to fall so I can see what these bad boys can do.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

craig588 posted:

Dooooooooohhhh. New 6ULs aren't going to be ready until the end of the year. Gen 3s are sold out eveywhere and the benefits of gen 4 make it seem worth it to wait instead of trying to find someones used set.

If you want a set of lightweight flow formed wheels for a miata take a look at the following:

Jongbloed:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4540&parentid=39&stocknumber=16-52020%20%2015X8

Advanti Storm S1:

Konig Dial-In

Both the Konig & Advanti are available through Goodwin, <$150/wheel in 15x9. I'm getting the Storm S1.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
e: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2014

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the info! I didn't know there even were any realistic other wheel options. I'll probably go with one of those if Emilio doesn't get his wheels out by the time I've finished combining the two cars.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

No worries, I wanted 6UL's too but I wanted some this season. And we finally have options to choose from!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Welp just put down a deposit on a 2012 GT in White with tan leather. Scored a pretty good deal considering the dealer wasn't aware it had the premium package or the LSD/suspension package. Should be a fun weekend/third car for the wife and I to share. Should finish everything on Saturday when we can get down there to sign everything.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
TIL: You can change an alternator on the side of a off ramp in about 10 minutes with just a 12 and 14mm wrench/sockets. gently caress the intake brace though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

the spyder posted:

TIL: You can change an alternator on the side of a off ramp in about 10 minutes with just a 12 and 14mm wrench/sockets. gently caress the intake brace though.

How the hell did you get around and behind to the lower pivot bolt on the alternator? I couldn't get it without getting under the car.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Take off the intake duct and you can get your arm in a position to wrap around to the back from underneath the alternator.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Bovril Delight posted:

2012 GT in White with tan leather.

Congrats! Post some pics when you can, white NCs are pretty rare near me, it seems.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I learned that if you don't locktite your crank bolt after a timing belt change, you can use your lug wrench to snug it down to make it home :haw:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't use loctite on my crank. I also didn't torque it to 80 ft-lbs.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

How the hell did you get around and behind to the lower pivot bolt on the alternator? I couldn't get it without getting under the car.

There's plenty of room if you have the right tools- my ratcheting wrenches have a 15 degree angle and fit perfectly. Nothing was removed except the alternator (NB). Now having to remove the bloody intake support is just bull poo poo piss pour engineering. Having a flex head ratchet also helped.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Does this sound like a common/known issue to anybody? My 97 started running like rear end today. I was cruising in 4th and it started to stumble, noticeably down on power. Pulled over, and it really wanted to stall, sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders at best. It would rev relatively freely, but barely stayed idling. Shut it down for 10 minutes or so, reseated every electrical connection in the engine bay, all plug wires, started it up, same thing. Decided to limp it home, got about 5 minutes with the same symptoms, until I got to a steep hill. Severely lost power at this point, even in first, I barely, barely made it up, it was coughing and sputtering and smelled like gas. Foot to the floor in first, barely kept it above idle and moving. Got over the hill, clutched in, gave it a few revs, and like a light switch, it was back to normal, drove the remaining 15 minutes home with no issue. No CEL at any time during this.

Ideas? It has sat for the past few months but I drove it last week for several hours without issue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
CAS making GBS threads the bed?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

opengl128 posted:

Does this sound like a common/known issue to anybody? My 97 started running like rear end today. I was cruising in 4th and it started to stumble, noticeably down on power. Pulled over, and it really wanted to stall, sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders at best. It would rev relatively freely, but barely stayed idling. Shut it down for 10 minutes or so, reseated every electrical connection in the engine bay, all plug wires, started it up, same thing. Decided to limp it home, got about 5 minutes with the same symptoms, until I got to a steep hill. Severely lost power at this point, even in first, I barely, barely made it up, it was coughing and sputtering and smelled like gas. Foot to the floor in first, barely kept it above idle and moving. Got over the hill, clutched in, gave it a few revs, and like a light switch, it was back to normal, drove the remaining 15 minutes home with no issue. No CEL at any time during this.

Ideas? It has sat for the past few months but I drove it last week for several hours without issue.
Old plug wires had a similar effect in my 93. I coudl still get it up to speed but with lots of missing and riding rough.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I was thinking CAS also. Any way to be sure without dropping the $100+ for a used one?

Plugs I replaced last year, wires the previous owner replaced about 2 years ago, they have maybe 5,000 miles on them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, PayPal me $45 and I'll ship you one. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How about a speedo cable, Phone?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phone posted:

Yeah, PayPal me $45 and I'll ship you one. :v:

Seriously? I don't have PM's, send me an email and I'll buy it today, username at Gmail.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How about a speedo cable, Phone?

It's completely mechanical. There's an end that goes into the tranny, and the other goes into the gauge cluster.

It can make noise, but it's entirely mechanical.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
No, I mean, send me a speedo cable, because mine makes horrible noises and you probably have a spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh, no I don't. I'm still using the one that came with the car. :P

P/n is NA01-60-070B, it's $59.05 from Mazdaspeed.