Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Oh my loving hell, Sandman #2 was so worth the wait.

I just ventured into BSS to ask about this. Glad to hear it.

I'm very new to comics in general. Never read them growing up, but picked up the first volume of Sandman a few months back on a whim, and quickly got through the whole original run.

Really enjoying the first volume of Lucifer now as a follow up, but it's more of a fun fantasy adventure with "omg cool" moments so far, as compared to the goddamn literary feast that changed my entire perception of comics as a medium that Sandman vol. 1-10 came to represent. Legitimately world class novels, let alone graphic ones. I'm going to let a few more issues get released before I start checking out Overture (buffer space), but I hope Gaiman's still got it. I feel like I could reread those ten original volumes ten thousand times and still have things to think about.

If anyone has any recommendations for titles with similar "depth" to Gaiman's Sandman, I'd appreciate it. The really cool guy who runs the comic shop by my office told me to check back when he gets more copies of Books of Magic, which sounds promising.

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A_Ruse! posted:

I just ventured into BSS to ask about this. Glad to hear it.

I'm very new to comics in general. Never read them growing up, but picked up the first volume of Sandman a few months back on a whim, and quickly got through the whole original run.

Really enjoying the first volume of Lucifer now as a follow up, but it's more of a fun fantasy adventure with "omg cool" moments so far, as compared to the goddamn literary feast that changed my entire perception of comics as a medium that Sandman vol. 1-10 came to represent. Legitimately world class novels, let alone graphic ones. I'm going to let a few more issues get released before I start checking out Overture (buffer space), but I hope Gaiman's still got it. I feel like I could reread those ten original volumes ten thousand times and still have things to think about.

If anyone has any recommendations for titles with similar "depth" to Gaiman's Sandman, I'd appreciate it. The really cool guy who runs the comic shop by my office told me to check back when he gets more copies of Books of Magic, which sounds promising.

The Unwritten. Get it the gently caress read, right loving now.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

The Unwritten. Get it the gently caress read, right loving now.

I've heard this is good, but I'm too poor to buy a full series at the moment.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Mister Roboto posted:

I've heard this is good, but I'm too poor to buy a full series at the moment.

The closest thing in tone and style is Alan Moore's Mircleman and Swamp Thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

God Of Paradise posted:

On which note, Marvel are currently reprinting Miracleman. The first trade is due quite soon, I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jedit posted:

On which note, Marvel are currently reprinting Miracleman. The first trade is due quite soon, I think.

Make sure you get the one by original author and is coming out soon. You may look it up and see that there are some trades are already out. DO NOT GET THESE. They are the original poo poo, and not worth it.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

God Of Paradise posted:

In fact, Moore's Swamp Thing run pretty much lays out the architecture that Gaiman will use for Sandman a few years later. All the stuff with Cain, Abel, and Eve. The personifications of abstract concepts stretching endlessly backwards and forwards through time. The armies of demons taking sides in battles for the underworld. The keeping one toe in the DC Universe while turning inward to tell very personal psychological stories. Even Matthew the raven's weird psychic powers, which allow him a connection to The Dreaming, are introduced by Moore (although Matt doesn't become a raven until after Moore leaves the book).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Make sure you get the one by original author and is coming out soon. You may look it up and see that there are some trades are already out. DO NOT GET THESE. They are the original poo poo, and not worth it.

They're not what he's looking for, but if you dis Mick Anglo again I will gently caress up your poo poo. He was trying to create American style comics for a UK audience in the face of an established industry that did things an entirely different way. I wouldn't volunteer to read them because they're very much of their time, but to call his creative achievement "poo poo" is stupid and ill informed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jedit posted:

They're not what he's looking for, but if you dis Mick Anglo again I will gently caress up your poo poo. He was trying to create American style comics for a UK audience in the face of an established industry that did things an entirely different way. I wouldn't volunteer to read them because they're very much of their time, but to call his creative achievement "poo poo" is stupid and ill informed.

Notice I said original poo poo and was saying nothing about the work themselves. I was just giving him a warning that he might think he will get the Moore stuff and instead get the original.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Anyone else have the 100 Bullets Deluxe Editions? I had the entire run of TPBs but I lent all of them to my little brothers so they could get some education on good crime comics. I decided to switch to the deluxe hardcovers, and I'm glad I did. I have 1-3 with 4 on the way, and they are gorgeous. I love everything about the cover design, especially how they make one giant Dave Johnson masterpiece when you arrange them side to side.

They ain't quite Hellboy Library Editions but they're close.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Martello posted:

Anyone else have the 100 Bullets Deluxe Editions? I had the entire run of TPBs but I lent all of them to my little brothers so they could get some education on good crime comics. I decided to switch to the deluxe hardcovers, and I'm glad I did. I have 1-3 with 4 on the way, and they are gorgeous. I love everything about the cover design, especially how they make one giant Dave Johnson masterpiece when you arrange them side to side.

They ain't quite Hellboy Library Editions but they're close.

I wanted to pick these up for the library I work in but unfortunately volume 1 seems to be out of print.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Madkal posted:

I wanted to pick these up for the library I work in but unfortunately volume 1 seems to be out of print.

You can still get it, you just have to pay a little more from Amazon partners.

I'm reading through the series again. I think this is my 4th read-through. I just finished the "Short Con, Long Odds" arc. I love the ending, but I always wonder if Chucky or Pony shot first or if it was one of those simultaneous shots that sounded like one to Shantay in the car. Either way, she'd be crying so no help there. I really haven't read much else by Azzarello, but he's one of my favorite writers just for this one series. Next weekend I'm ordering Volume 5 and the Brother Lono trade.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Brother Lono ending kind of disappointing me. I wanted there to be a full issue of nothing but Lono kicking rear end.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I want them to do a "Tales of the Minutemen" series where each issue is a different short story of a Minuteman throughout history doing something awesome.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Martello posted:

I want them to do a "Tales of the Minutemen" series where each issue is a different short story of a Minuteman throughout history doing something awesome.

I would pay a lot of money for more Milo PI stories. Counterfifth detective is my favourite 100 bullet arc, and it's probably my favourite overall series.

Also agree on the end of the Lono mini. I must've missed something (i.e. the point).

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

I must've missed something (i.e. the point).

Lono is an awful person who is rewarded for being a monster while all the "good" characters receive divine punishment.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm reading through 100 Bullets right now and after like 40 or so issues, something just isn't clicking for me. I think part of it is that whenever Azzarello tries to do "urban" language, it feels like the sort of thing someone would write for a movie in that it feels very caricaturish. I think "caricaturish" actually characterizes a lot of his dialogue, which makes it hard to take the rest of the crime drama seriously.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Genetic Toaster posted:

Lono is an awful person who is rewarded for being a monster while all the "good" characters receive divine punishment.

drat, that's a good reading.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm reading through 100 Bullets right now and after like 40 or so issues, something just isn't clicking for me. I think part of it is that whenever Azzarello tries to do "urban" language, it feels like the sort of thing someone would write for a movie in that it feels very caricaturish. I think "caricaturish" actually characterizes a lot of his dialogue, which makes it hard to take the rest of the crime drama seriously.

Stop reading now. People will endlessly say "Oh, just one more trade, then it picks up" until you get to issue 100, then tell you you have no taste because you still think it sucks and they love it. The truth: if it didn't click for you immediately, it never will.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I agree, I feel the exact same way about 100 Bullets. I dislike it for it the same reason I hate the movie Crash.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

GrandpaPants posted:

I know what you're saying, though I know people who talk like various "cartoonish" characters in the book. It's a stylistic thing, to me, especially the use of eye dialect. And I really enjoy it. But I can see how other people might not. Matter of taste and so on. And as Jedit said, if you don't like it now, you probably never will.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Personally, I think 100 Bullets is maybe the best comic book of the past 25 years so I'll be that dude who tells you to stick with it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Personally, I think 100 Bullets is maybe the best comic book of the past 25 years so I'll be that dude who tells you to stick with it.

Eh. I love the first 7 trades and the original pure conceit of "100 Bullets to do anything you want." After that I think the series runs off the usual conspiracy rails and collapses under its own weight.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I bought the first two deluxe editions of 100 Bullets thinking "oh finally, a great way to dive into this series everyone has been talking about for a decade!" But I won't be buying any more of them. The clichéd shadowy conspiracy, the "gangsta" dialogue, and reheated noir situations... it was very frustrating to read after all the hype.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not sure I've ever read an Azzarello comic I enjoyed.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Every Azz comic I've read always has at least a couple of pages where I have exactly zero idea what's happening.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ulmont posted:

Eh. I love the first 7 trades and the original pure conceit of "100 Bullets to do anything you want." After that I think the series runs off the usual conspiracy rails and collapses under its own weight.

That was about my feeling towards it. The first 50 issues wobbled between great and really good but the back half felt like a story that had run out of steam but needed to hit that pointless milestone of 100 issues. Scalped kinda had a similar issue but maybe Aaron realized it or whatever because it briefly dawdled before cutting back to the chase and wrapping up.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure I've ever read an Azzarello comic I enjoyed.

Really dug his Wonder Woman until I stopped digging it. That's about all I've got for him that I like, though. Brother Lono felt like a cash grab from day one, too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I finally finished 100 Bullets and yeah I do not get the hype for it. I think what really bothered me is that it had a hundred issues top develop these characters but nope let's cut these issues with random gangster plots and whatever Echo Memoria's thing was about. I really wanted to know more about the Minutemen and The Trust, since their individual arcs were pretty fun but were mostly spent not being themselves.

And as much as I generally liked the art, the male gaze on all the female characters was too much. Dizzy didn't really have enough of a personality to really convince me why everyone was so smitten with her. She never did anything badass, and after her arc, she spent most of the series following Shepard or Graves or Wylie.

All it really did was make me wish Brubaker wrote more Criminal.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

GrandpaPants posted:

I finally finished 100 Bullets and yeah I do not get the hype for it.

I thought the initial premise was awesome and the art was cool. Found myself skimming the later issues just to finish it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

sporklift posted:

I thought the initial premise was awesome and the art was cool. Found myself skimming the later issues just to finish it.

I really liked the first trade or two, but I lost interest after the 6th one I think.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I finally finished 100 Bullets and yeah I do not get the hype for it. I think what really bothered me is that it had a hundred issues top develop these characters but nope let's cut these issues with random gangster plots and whatever Echo Memoria's thing was about. I really wanted to know more about the Minutemen and The Trust, since their individual arcs were pretty fun but were mostly spent not being themselves.

And as much as I generally liked the art, the male gaze on all the female characters was too much. Dizzy didn't really have enough of a personality to really convince me why everyone was so smitten with her. She never did anything badass, and after her arc, she spent most of the series following Shepard or Graves or Wylie.

Which characters did you think weren't developed? I thought most got a complete arc.

Re: Dizzy, race is a huge part of the subtext in the book, and I think the way you describe her treatment matches what they were trying to say about race.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, anyone else wondering how likely it is we'll see Joe Keatinge on another Vertigo book anytime soon? I mean, I'd rather him have creator-owned stuff, but seeing just how poorly that editor handled things, I would imagine that even if he wanted to come back, Keatinge'd be blacklisted.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Seldom Posts posted:

Which characters did you think weren't developed? I thought most got a complete arc.

Re: Dizzy, race is a huge part of the subtext in the book, and I think the way you describe her treatment matches what they were trying to say about race.

I think the main issue is that a lot of Minutemen stopped developing as characters after they were activated. The only ones that I can think of who actually had any semblance of a character were Cole and Vic, the latter of which is sort of inscrutable but I think that's just his general character. The rest, like Jack and Remi and even Lono, just stopped being anything more than well trained assassins. Wylie I thought could have used a bit more too, since a lot of what he was after activation was Dizzy's guardian. Hell, even Shepard was a whole lot of "tell, not show," since everyone just talked about how awesome he was, but he never actually did anything awesome or otherwise demonstrated why so many of the Minutemen were super loyal to him. I think in the one flashback issue, Graves just flat out said "This kid is smart" without actually really any good reason to, aside from the fact that I guess he got away with murder.

Loop was similar to Dizzy in that he got pushed to the side immediately after his intro arc, and both were especially a waste since it could have been an easy way to introduce the readers to the world of the Trust and Minutemen through them. And from a story perspective, since they're coming in from different ends (Grave's vs. Lono's), it would have been a good way to share personal philosophies and why the characters do what they did, which is something I kept struggling with, especially with the constantly shifting allegiances near the end.

On the antagonist side, I thought that most of the Trust was underdeveloped, which made it difficult to really care about their side of the conflict. Even something like Nagel's or Rhone's issues would have gone a long way to humanize them and make them seem like something besides generic amoral super rich people.

I dunno, but comparing it to something like Y the Last Man or even Fables, and the characters just seem lacking. Even using something as race as subtext doesn't really excuse the fact that doing so makes me not care about the characters.

Edit: This has nothing to do with 100 Bullets, but I might as well put the Constantine trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY

I never read Hellblazer, but this looks pretty terrible. Maybe Hannibal has raised my expectations for a mature show on NBC too much, I dunno.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 15, 2014

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the main issue is that a lot of Minutemen stopped developing as characters after they were activated. The only ones that I can think of who actually had any semblance of a character were Cole and Vic, the latter of which is sort of inscrutable but I think that's just his general character. The rest, like Jack and Remi and even Lono, just stopped being anything more than well trained assassins. Wylie I thought could have used a bit more too, since a lot of what he was after activation was Dizzy's guardian. Hell, even Shepard was a whole lot of "tell, not show," since everyone just talked about how awesome he was, but he never actually did anything awesome or otherwise demonstrated why so many of the Minutemen were super loyal to him. I think in the one flashback issue, Graves just flat out said "This kid is smart" without actually really any good reason to, aside from the fact that I guess he got away with murder.

Loop was similar to Dizzy in that he got pushed to the side immediately after his intro arc, and both were especially a waste since it could have been an easy way to introduce the readers to the world of the Trust and Minutemen through them. And from a story perspective, since they're coming in from different ends (Grave's vs. Lono's), it would have been a good way to share personal philosophies and why the characters do what they did, which is something I kept struggling with, especially with the constantly shifting allegiances near the end.

On the antagonist side, I thought that most of the Trust was underdeveloped, which made it difficult to really care about their side of the conflict. Even something like Nagel's or Rhone's issues would have gone a long way to humanize them and make them seem like something besides generic amoral super rich people.

I dunno, but comparing it to something like Y the Last Man or even Fables, and the characters just seem lacking. Even using something as race as subtext doesn't really excuse the fact that doing so makes me not care about the characters.

Edit: This has nothing to do with 100 Bullets, but I might as well put the Constantine trailer here:

I never read Hellblazer, but this looks pretty terrible. Maybe Hannibal has raised my expectations for a mature show on NBC too much, I dunno.

Thanks. I disagree, though. For the minutemen, I think the character development comes from the contrast between their lives when they're not activated and when they are. When they are activated, they are "stone cold killers to the bone" or whatever it is that Vic calls them in issue #50 when he's telling the story after he's activated. I think the point is that once they get into "the machine" that is the trust, they can either be killers or be killed. For example:

Milo: refuses to go back: is killed
Wylie: tries to organize a revolt against the system (is the "leader"); gets killed
Lono: never "deactivated" he has no other personality (the mini that came after deals with this)
Jack: commits suicide
Cole: commits suicide

The ones who I thought were not done well were Vic (it's not clear why he's ok with murdering children on orders, but then goes and saves some other kid) and Remi, whose characterization is just that he's immature.

For the Trust, yeah I agree some of them weren't well developed, especially Javier, but the Medicis and meagan were all well done with lots of screen time, I thought.

Finally, I liked the contrast between Loop and Dizzy in that they make their choices and live with the consequences. In a lot of ways both of them transcend the racial identities that others try to enforce on them.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
100 Bullets is one of my favorite comics ever. I own all the trades and have read them several times.

But yeah, it kinda peters out. I think it stays good longer than you seem to think, though.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The end of Unwritten: Apocalypse #6 gave me goosebumps.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

The pilot is directed by Neil Marshall so at least that episode will be good.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Has anyone but me been reading Snyder and Murphy's The Wake? Next issue is the finale, and I have no idea how they're going to tie all this up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Has anyone but me been reading Snyder and Murphy's The Wake? Next issue is the finale, and I have no idea how they're going to tie all this up!

I have (though I am an issue behind). It is definitely awesome and the second part has been completely bonkers. I kind of wish it was an ongoing so every story arc can do some different genre.

• Locked thread