Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Other way around probably. There's already nation-restricted items (jade knife) so this probably just allows that property to be moddable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

King of Bleh posted:

Other way around probably. There's already nation-restricted items (jade knife) so this probably just allows that property to be moddable.
It already is?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Jaguar repellant for everybody but Mictlan?

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Two endgame questions for the more experienced players here:

1. For master enslave communions, I'm planning a communion master under the effect of power of the spheres + light of the north star with the following items: rune smasher, green eye, ring of sorcery (for +1 penetration and +1 astral) and starshine cap. I could throw in a robe of the magi for an additional +1 astral but he's currently sitting at even astral power after all the boosts, so if I understand correctly one more level won't improve his penetration.

Is there anything I'm missing to buff this guy's chances? I assumed that rune smasher penetration doesn't stack if you dual wield them.

Second question: is there a reliable off-script spell for dealing with SC's who you just can't get to before 5 turns? If I load up an E mage with E gems, does the AI like casting petrify or am I just gonna get 30 earth elementals? One thing I've noticed is that the AI seems to love spamming enslave mind, but that requires a lot of kitting up to be viable against high MR SC's.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 8, 2014

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

King of Bleh posted:

Are there any nation-restricted items other than the jade knife? Even the Jade Mask isn't tagged as nation-restricted, at least in the mod inspector.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Are there any nation-restricted items other than the jade knife? Even the Jade Mask isn't tagged as nation-restricted, at least in the mod inspector.

There's a hat that lets Ermor summon more lictors. I think that's about it. I'm not sure anyone actually forges it, a handful of sacred troops aren't too exciting when you have billions of longdead.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 8, 2014

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TheresNoThyme posted:

1. For master enslave communions, I'm planning a communion master under the effect of power of the spheres + light of the north star with the following items: rune smasher, green eye, ring of sorcery (for +1 penetration and +1 astral) and starshine cap. I could throw in a robe of the magi for an additional +1 astral but he's currently sitting at even astral power after all the boosts, so if I understand correctly one more level won't improve his penetration.

Is there anything I'm missing to buff this guy's chances? I assumed that rune smasher penetration doesn't stack if you dual wield them.

Second question: is there a reliable off-script spell for dealing with SC's who you just can't get to before 5 turns? If I load up an E mage with E gems, does the AI like casting petrify or am I just gonna get 30 earth elementals? One thing I've noticed is that the AI seems to love spamming enslave mind, but that requires a lot of kitting up to be viable against high MR SC's.

Don't forget the boosting power of communions. You get +1 level for every power of two iirc (maybe starts at 4 though?). Otherwise, I'd be leery of putting a RoS in battle. That's a lot of gems at risk. You could do the other eye that boosts penetration. Your dude will end up blind but who cares because he's casting master enslave.

Skelespam. :colbert: Dealing with SCs, why not try a bunch of flying bane lords with dusk daggers and the chest wound axes? A squad of four or five should take down any SCs, I'd think. Could also try claws of cocytos or banish to inferno or just massed thunder strike or incineration.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Restricted for a type of troop that can have it? Sacred commander only items?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It might be an AI tag to prevent it from spamming things it doesn't know how to use.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
In terms of units, you already have #ainorec and #aireclimit for that. Since spells and items already have a #restricted tag, maybe it's a unit tag to prevent something being wished for?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Maybe its for certain independant units that can only be recruited from provinces by certain nations?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Maybe its for certain independant units that can only be recruited from provinces by certain nations?
Maybe?

I'd assume they'd make some kind of #addrecmonpoptype [monster] [poptype] command for that, rather than a #restricted tag, because that would align much more closely with the other commands that do that kind of thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, now that we are talking about the next updates, it seems the next path will be soon but it won't have the Caelum update as it will be moved to the next one (he may do it on Easter week). The good news is that he may do a "flier update", and together Caelum, laso add 1 or 2 new flying races, he has the research done.
Source: Illwinter in desura forums.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I've been saying for years that there ought to be a Southwestern Katchina/Anasazi/Chaco nation sequence. C'mon Illwinter.
It's such a rich tradition just waiting to be mined.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Patch is out on Desura, so go forth and crash those MP servers, guys!

New pretenders:

Maharishi, Dom 1, 0 points, S1, 10 points for each new path. Floats, is a cheeky monkey. Monkey guys get him.

Raksharani, Dom 2, 25 points, N1D1B1, 40 points for new paths. Has glamour, can shapeshift into a seduction chick like their StR mages. Stealthy, very tough, has Chaos Power 1. For Lanka.

Celestial Carp, Dom 3, 50 points, W2S1, GoWB 50, eats 10 guys, looks like this:

Now you might be thinking "for gently caress's hake, I've haddock with these fish jokes already", but TC and especially Jomon is going to be breaming with them for a while, I fear.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I need to learn to play TC better.

vvv Next patch is supposed to be in less than a month. So it's no big deal, though the line about eating people definitely needs a native speaker to correct the grammar somehow. vvv

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 9, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I like how the Celestial Carp's description spells Pantokrator two different ways.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

the line about eating people definitely needs a native speaker to correct the grammar somehow. vvv
Reads fine to me. Maybe wants a comma extra, no bigs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"Used to feed on"?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

jBrereton posted:

Reads fine to me. Maybe wants a comma extra, no bigs.

The problem is with used, it's ambiguous as to whether it means he's an object that was used for that purpose or he's just gotten used to it. It's an odd way to start a sentence and just feels wrong, I'm not sure if it's grammatically incorrect but it's certainly off somehow.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I like the idea that he tasted so bad, the Pantokrator forced his captives to eat bits of him. And now the fish is out for revenge.

Seriously though, just give that fish a loving fedora already.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sokani posted:

The problem is with used, it's ambiguous as to whether it means he's an object that was used for that purpose or he's just gotten used to it.
Kinda obvious he was an object used for that purpose, being a carnivorous fish, cmon now.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Yeah, I agree it's pretty obvious the second time around what the meaning is, but there's got to be some kind of english language fuckery going on because it confused the poo poo out of me at first glance. I can't put my finger on it, but something is just off in respect to the phrasing or sentence structure.

gently caress that poo poo though, I'm excited to slaughter my enemies with fishgod.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's because it really is super ambiguous and a little bit wrong. It definitely needs a comma to seperate its clauses either way.

If they want us to understand that he was the pantokrator's tool for destroying opponents, then we would expect the word "devour" or "consume". Feed on implies a sort of habituality that doesn't fit with the image of a dude being tossed into the pond all at once.

However, if the Codfather had become accustomed to eating people, then we need a -ing verb, and "feeding on" would actually be my first choice, for the implication of it being his habitual or primary food source.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
He has hands and legs? And pecs as well?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 9, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

jBrereton posted:

Patch is out on Desura, so go forth and crash those MP servers, guys!

So I can't get it just yet if I'm on Steam?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Just add once to the start of that sentence, and maybe a comma. "Once used to feed on the flesh of those that displeased his master, he has developed [...]"

e: personally I'd phrase the whole thing differently, but this is the minimum change needed

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
When a multiplayer game ends can you still "play" the last turn and see the score graphs like you can in single player?

edit: and is this just for the winner, or do all players get to see them?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yes, all the players get to see them. If you're able to snag it before the game gets taken down. ( and maybe only if you were still alive when the game ends ).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

4.05 update

quote:

GAME

2 magic items will now accelerate aging
A map could appear twice in load maps, fixed
Added a few names for Marverni females
Aging remade so magic items can protect from magic aging effects
Alt+home = select prophet
Banfire bow no longer armor piercing
Battle music did not stop when pressing 'q' during zoom in.
Battle orders weren't ignored during manifestation
Better era sorting in View Pretenders screen
Blood feast affliction wasn't permanent.
Boots of the Messenger reinvigoration 2 -> 3
Bunch of maps didn't support wrapping properly
Button to change province name color in map editor
Can click on flags on network screen, right click gives info
Celestial Chastisement didn't enslave
Choose item from magic item treasury screen when sending message
Dark skies had -1 penalty in non dominion too, fixed
Dementia could not be healed, fixed
Description fixed for Oceania and more
Disabling animated background removes nebulas too
Don't get an arena prize you already have
Draw size fix for retinue
Ethereal didn't help vs maggots spell
Fire and death bless arrows now requires a hit to take effect
Fix scrollbar when choosing nation to play
Fixed bug in random numbers
Fixed darkvision for water queens.
Fixed heightfield clipping bug (visible on the lower planes)
Fixed starting age for Golem and some other constructs
Flags and timer shown during network play
Forest Troll Tribe summons 15 trolls and cheaper
Gave a lot of maps black province names
Green highlight on allies when choosing receiver for message
Grey out all spells that cannot be cast due to terrain requirements.
HP capped at 10000.
Hidden in snow can now be cast in border mountains too
Hill Giant got 'grab and swallow' attack
Ice weapons are not affected by fire bless
Improve event message for curses
Improved detection of dead prophets
Improved information for targets of Wrath of God and some other powerful spells
Improved victory screen
Improved weapon info
It was possible to start underwater with overwater nation on Talis map.
Item levels were incorrectly added regarding random event magic boost.
Items in forge that are too high level are shown, but greyed out
Krakens got recuperation.
Lifeless weren't immune to Bloodletting
Made two magic raising sites unique
Make sure old arena prizes don't get put in the lab
Many stat fixes
Many typos fixed
Map fixes (wrong terrains and incorrect connections)
Message when God is recalled
More restricitive showing of the map raid symbol.
Need not eat canceled gluttony and supply bonuses, fixed
Never create provinces with no exits
New look for elf shot
New pretenders: Maharishi, Raksharani and the Celestial Carp
New province names
New tips
New weapon effect: Lesser swallow (can only be used on human size or smaller)
No seperate messages for items found after battle
Population cap to prevent overflow
Press 'i' for province info and history
Press 9 to show province names on map in map editor
Pretenders and some unique monsters knows more spells when independent
Print actual worth of thrones from when game was started
Print heal effect in site info.
Red numbers for Vortex of Unlife too
Robe of Caelium the Druid resistances 5 -> 10
Sanitize filenames before saving maps
Scale Walls ability for some assassins
Sea Trolls and Sea Dragon got darkvision
Sea province size didn't work for Bunch of random maps.
Seasonal mages
Shift+click to reverse AI difficulty selection
Shift+tab to go backwards in graphs
Shrinked affliction was not properly permanent
Speed up particle effects too when fast forwarding
Sprites from summon sprites shoots instead of doing a flying charge
Starting client with --ipadr cleared old connections.
Story events
Support for fancy 4K resolutions
Swallowed units are killed hard at end of battle.
T'ien Chi also gets indep commander at PD 20.
T'ien Chi will no longer get land troops in underwater PD.
The Iron and Silver throne spreads 2 dominion
The hero Sialuk got his proper name now
Thrones are now sorted by dominion spread
Transformation ritual could result in a shapeshifter eagle
Umbral summons corrected
Vafur flames improved
Very easy research setting
Victims of random event assassins didn't disregard orders
Volume setting no affects 'new turn ready' sound too
Whip of command commands more but gives morale penalty
Wraith Lord commander for ghost riders is back

MAC
Changed OSX priority for finding data directory
Mac version no longer default to multiple cpus for AI processing

MODDING

#defector should work now
#iceprot always had 2 as value
Commands #onlygeosrc, #onlygeodest, #likesterr, #hatesterr didn't work
Different maxages for shape changer forms now only prints a warning
New commands: #deathpower and #deathrec
possible to combine e.g. #nodemon and #noundead

OTHER
AI AI improved item distribution
AI AI improved research item creation
AI AI improved thug creation
AI forge improvements

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, good.

Edit:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 9, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That Carp is amazing---if the Illwinter devs haven't already been locked in a room for a bit with all the various Vanillaware games then they really need to get on that.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
What are these story events they mention? Just random events for nations with some more story to it, perhaps an effect or two?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Mega Random Events, I think.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Congratulation, Shiva asori, looks like you win the World of Water. Let's see how many tries the brave Oceanian troops need to take my last province, OK? :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Gentleman posted:

What are these story events they mention? Just random events for nations with some more story to it, perhaps an effect or two?

At present in the game there are a number of nation specific 'event chains' that can occur. Most of them don't work correctly or only work for the first step; if MA Ermor finds the Silver Sarcophagus they get an event to send a dude to the sarcophagus to open it and get a friendly mummy for example. There are a bunch of other events for other factions like one for EA Ermor which I think is supposed to end up with you getting a C'tissian Sauromancer but the chain breaks after the first event. Another is for LA Man and involves sending a dude to a specified province to find a Daughter of Avalon and again stops there but sounds like it was supposed to keep going as you learn about some underground cult.

Hopefully those are the mentioned story events that now work, if so they'll probably skew the power balance a bit because some of the events result in fairly powerful rewards if done correctly. There are also presumably a bunch more both generic and specific to certain factions that are new and that I havn't run into.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I haven't played this in a long while, and was maybe thinking of getting back in. I see it's on steam now and according to the OP your Desura key works there, do you get patches the same when you have the game on Steam? Also, how much has changed since launch for this, and are there a suite of mods that are considered common usage now (like CBM for Dom 3). I remember there was talk of a new CBM, but not sure if that ever went anywhere.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

I haven't played this in a long while, and was maybe thinking of getting back in. I see it's on steam now and according to the OP your Desura key works there, do you get patches the same when you have the game on Steam?
Yes.

quote:

Also, how much has changed since launch for this
Some but not much.

quote:

and are there a suite of mods that are considered common usage now (like CBM for Dom 3). I remember there was talk of a new CBM, but not sure if that ever went anywhere.
No. Mobility! exists but I'm not sure it ever really took off.

CBM fetishism is still around, but the mod's creator is a bit eh about the whole thing, especially since nobody knows what to even change. Most nations have been considered good/bad at one point and then someone's played them and had a good/bad game and so they've been changed to Ultra Garbage Tier/Mega OP in people's minds. Plus I don't even know what CBM is going to do with movement speed and StR as mechanics, two things that were vaguely controversial some months ago but which are now kinda-settled upon as "alright and just a part of the game".

Absum
May 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

At present in the game there are a number of nation specific 'event chains' that can occur. Most of them don't work correctly or only work for the first step; if MA Ermor finds the Silver Sarcophagus they get an event to send a dude to the sarcophagus to open it and get a friendly mummy for example. There are a bunch of other events for other factions like one for EA Ermor which I think is supposed to end up with you getting a C'tissian Sauromancer but the chain breaks after the first event. Another is for LA Man and involves sending a dude to a specified province to find a Daughter of Avalon and again stops there but sounds like it was supposed to keep going as you learn about some underground cult.

Hopefully those are the mentioned story events that now work, if so they'll probably skew the power balance a bit because some of the events result in fairly powerful rewards if done correctly. There are also presumably a bunch more both generic and specific to certain factions that are new and that I havn't run into.

Most of those aren't part of the story events currently, they still want feedback on whether they should be. The story events are different event sequences and there seem to be quite a lot of global ones?

Take a look on the Desura forums, there's a little bit of info in the event bug thread.

e: From the Desura thread:

Examples of new story events:
War in hell (global)
The three gates (global)
Time of the Northmen (global)
Gaia stirs (global)
The Necromancer
The King in the Mountain
Mage Kings Citadel
Tower of Thorns
The lion of helms (short event chain for Man, chelms)
Spreading plague + plague cult
Unholy flux
Fertility cult
Horror cult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

TheresNoThyme posted:

Bring a crystal shield so that he doesn't have to waste a combat turn casting power of the spheres, and replace the WoS with a crystal matrix so that he doesn't have to waste a combat turn casting communion master (assuming he has a high unit id). Unless he's already equipped with the Green Eye, I'd replace it with the Eye of the Void

the boost to penetration and Astral you get from RoS is outweighed by the +4 to MR all your opponent's units will get when he casts Antimagic, so getting your master enslave off on turn 1 is important

• Locked thread