Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Cap 2 didn't do anything to direct people to Agents of SHIELD, so I'm not surprised there wasn't a bump.

True, but I thought it might bring some people back who maybe gave up early on. I mean, I didn't go back but I hear the last couple of eps have been decent, so I may watch it when it goes up on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

zoux posted:

True, but I thought it might bring some people back who maybe gave up early on. I mean, I didn't go back but I hear the last couple of eps have been decent, so I may watch it when it goes up on Netflix.
All lies, it's still the same garbage it always has been despite what Trollity tries to argue. Don't waste your time on it.

I'm not usually one to argue for a show to get canceled because it's such a petty practice, but this one is such a waste of resources, pedigree and IP that it really deserves it. So the abcence of a Cap Am 2 fueled ratings bump is comforting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, she's not the only person I've heard it from. The AV Club reviewer, who hates the loving show, gave the last two eps an A-.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

RIP Ultimate Warrior.

You just spoiled the wrestlehut for me.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

zoux posted:

Well, she's not the only person I've heard it from. The AV Club reviewer, who hates the loving show, gave the last two eps an A-.

Go ahead and catch up then, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

A few decent eps is never worth devoting a large chunk of your time to mediocre trash. All it does is lead you to justify the time you gave to that trash by clinging to small, relatively bright spots.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GreenNight posted:

People enjoy being surprised, which for some people is a loving hard concept to understand.

Some people enjoy being surprised...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

So is Waid's current run. There is a lot of pretty great Daredevil source material out there.

From what I've seen of Waid's run in the BSS touching moments thread it's the most schmaltzy bullshit imaginable. "Daredevil takes some kids on a field trip and they get trapped in snow and he passes out and the kids carry him to safety" is all it takes to make comic fans shower you with praise post-New 52, apparently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bown posted:

From what I've seen of Waid's run in the BSS touching moments thread it's the most schmaltzy bullshit imaginable. "Daredevil takes some kids on a field trip and they get trapped in snow and he passes out and the kids carry him to safety" is all it takes to make comic fans shower you with praise post-New 52, apparently.

New 52 is DC scrub!!!!

The only Waid stuff I've ever really read was his run on FF which is really good.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Not too surprising to see the ratings continue to sink considering that the show went off the air for like a month just to line up with TWS, only to not really have any kind of marketing push for it once TWS actually came out. The last couple of episodes have been really good, but the show still has to prove that it can carry the TWS momentum by itself before I actually recommend it to people. I mean, even the episodes right before these last two were preeeeetty dumb I thought, so it's not like there's been a steady improvement since Day 1 or anything like that. And it still doesn't excuse the fact that this show has been on the air for like 7 months and is just now getting interesting.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I gave up on it after the previous episode. Everyone was praising it, while I thought it was more of the same, but I guess stuff happens? So I figured the show wasn't for me. The writing and acting just combine to make it unbelievable.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Do people have no limit to the amount of superhero content they're willing to consume? Three Iron Mans, two thors, two captain planets americas, five spider mans, three batmans, three seperate hulks, two supermen, seven X-men. Am I cursed to be a grumpy curmudgeon for another decade?

Fooz fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 9, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do not no. Also Marvel has it's movies planned out through 2028 so it's longer than a decade.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

damnit edit not quote

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Super hero tv and film ain't going away. They've captivated people's imaginations in print forever and film technology and production finally got good enough to present them in a visually impressive way. SHIELD and the Netflix series are really just the tests to see if TV can pull it off but its just a matter of time before TV really gets the hand of it and starts pushing out more good and bad. I'd bet you're just going to see more and more. The production values are just going to get better and cheaper, the studios looking to get in on it will increase, and there's a massive supply of ideas, characters, and stories already written.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Fooz posted:

Do people have no limit to the amount of superhero content they're willing to consume? Three Iron Mans, two thors, two captain planets, five spider mans, three batmans, three seperate hulks, two supermen, seven X-men. Am I cursed to be a grumpy curmudgeon for another decade?

You're not the only one. Sure there's been some great superhero movies over the last 10+ years but it's gotten so much now I can't give a poo poo anymore. I guess I'm burnt out on the genre but I haven't even seen most of the movies you mentioned. Only saw the first Iron Man, the first Thor, the three Batmans, the Raimi Spidermans, one Hulk, maybe three X-Men, no Captain America, no Green Lantern, no Fantastic Four, no Superman.

I know people who have seen every single one of these movies since X-Men in 2000 and they still get hyped. I guess I just don't have it in me despite being a massive nerd who should love every minute of it. I'd rather watch TV :unsmith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Superhero fiction is like the oldest form of fiction so deal with it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Comic book nerds win, sci fi nerds lose :(

Hard sci fi.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Fooz posted:

Comic book nerds win, sci fi nerds lose :(

Hard sci fi.

I'm sorry that your sex-android had no emotion, but yes, Comic books superior to Sci-fi

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Comcast officially filed today for the Time Warner merger.

Their arguments in favor is that Comcast and TWC don't actually compete in any markets now (true) and that, ahem, broadband access from AT&T is enough competition to prevent a monopoly.

As you can see with the exception of one or two cities, every single metro area, that is the vast majority of the US population, will now be under one service provider:

I am so glad I live in a city that's about to get Google Fiber.

TWC's coverage is actually larger since Bright House Networks can sort of be counted as being part of TWC (TWC negotiates all the carriage deals for Bright House still) even though it was supposedly spun off. You can add almost the entirety of Central Florida to TWC on that map.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

The Eighth Doctor only appeared in a TV movie.

Nope, he's also on a web minisode!

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/video/mini-episode-the-night-of-the-doctor/

:science:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fooz posted:

Do people have no limit to the amount of superhero content they're willing to consume? Three Iron Mans, two thors, two captain planets americas, five spider mans, three batmans, three seperate hulks, two supermen, seven X-men. Am I cursed to be a grumpy curmudgeon for another decade?
I'm with you buddy. I mean I watched the first Spider-Man movies and some of that was good but holy hell they just keep making this stuff!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

New 52 is DC scrub!!!!

The only Waid stuff I've ever really read was his run on FF which is really good.

I know but not even All-New Marvel Now! could be as stupid or insufferable as New 52. And yes that FF run is freaking fantastic. One of my favourite Marvel runs ever (along with Bendis' Daredevil).

To go back to TV, I was getting bummed out about not having a drama on Tuesday night with Justified finishing until I remembered what FX have replaced it with. Can't freakin wait for Fargo seriously jesus

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fooz posted:

Superhero movies continue to make a ton of money, Iron Man 3 was the second highest grossing film last year. Cap 2 made almost $100 million just in its first weekend and this was in April, which is not typically a "blockbuster" month. That's also on top of the other $75 million it made the previous week in overseas release.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Joramun posted:

Trollity

The only time I troll is when I tell people to watch the US version of the Killing :colbert:

But seriously, watch the US version of the Killing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

I know but not even All-New Marvel Now! could be as stupid or insufferable as New 52. And yes that FF run is freaking fantastic. One of my favourite Marvel runs ever (along with Bendis' Daredevil).

Christ almighty, Waid's not even in the top three Fantastic Four runs.

For the record:
1. Lee/Kirby
2. Byrne
3. Simonson/Adams

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Femur posted:

You know, I used to be into fantasy and SF books, and it really taught me that only trash writers have to write this juvenile crap.

So maybe we'll get lucky and there is a whole new generation of goods writers eager to write fantasy, or they pick a diamond in the rubble. But then they are TV writers, the lowest of the low.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I hope the actors are good enough to hide the rest.
The gently caress am I reading here? Not entirely sure if you are being sarcastic here or not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

For the record:
1. Lee/Kirby
2. Byrne
3. Simonson/Adams

Haha John Byrne.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

For the record:
1. Lee/Kirby
2. Byrne
3. Simonson/Adams

If we're going to talk about comics in here...Greg Land is the best comic book artist ever and his run on XMen has been legendary.
I dare anyone to disagree with me. :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Postal Parcel posted:

If we're going to talk about comics in here...Greg Land is the best comic book artist ever and his run on XMen has been legendary.
I dare anyone to disagree with me. :colbert:

Shameful confession: I actually thought Land was pretty good the first time I saw his art. It took like three issues for me to ask questions like "why do the characters have different faces in every panel," "why is Sue posing like a cover model" and "wait, isn't that the same panel from three issues ago."

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shortly before his death, James Joyce referred to Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser as greatest work of literature in the English language, prompting him to give up entirely on his own writing. So don't think fantasy is "just for nerds."

Kurt Vonnegut said “I'd rather have written 'Cheers' than anything I've written,” so whatever your point is, I'm unsure it matters. Nerd.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

Shameful confession: I actually thought Land was pretty good the first time I saw his art. It took like three issues for me to ask questions like "why do the characters have different faces in every panel," "why is Sue posing like a cover model" and "wait, isn't that the same panel from three issues ago."

I did too. I think it was the Phoenix: Endsong miniseries from 2004 or so and I thought it looked loving amazing. It was only when he started on Ultimate Fantastic Four that I realised (plus the whole internet was pointing it out by then anyway).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Bown posted:

To go back to TV, I was getting bummed out about not having a drama on Tuesday night with Justified finishing until I remembered what FX have replaced it with. Can't freakin wait for Fargo seriously jesus

One of the best TV dramas of all time (Person of Interest) airs on Tuesdays. If at this point you're still not watching that, you have only yourself to blame.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Joramun posted:

One of the best TV dramas of all time (Person of Interest) airs on Tuesdays. If at this point you're still not watching that, you have only yourself to blame.

No way to catch up!

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Bown posted:

I did too. I think it was the Phoenix: Endsong miniseries from 2004 or so and I thought it looked loving amazing. It was only when he started on Ultimate Fantastic Four that I realised (plus the whole internet was pointing it out by then anyway).

:hfive:
Hey Phoenix:Endsong bro.
That's exactly where Land started for me too. It was gorgeous...but the final page of it(where the whole cast appears in a vision) was weird to me. I thought it looked nice too, but all the characters had odd facial expressions. Like some were facing odd directions, others had weird mouth shapes.

Then he got put on real series and it was then that his shortcuts really got to me. I still love :OFACE: Invisible woman from one of those "Land Sucks" sites.

e:Found it

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 9, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

My understanding is that 54 isn't bad for someone in that line of work. The steroids or complete lack of health & safety procedure usually get them sooner.

Basically, wrestlers age in dog years.

No kidding, I flipped by Raw on Monday and just happened to see his appearance, he looked like he was in his late 60s at the very least. It was like he just went "well, finally got back in the WWE's good graces and got into their hall of fame for whatever that's worth, and my anti-gay crusade was a failure, so... nothing left to accomplish in this life."

Rarity posted:

No seriously, [Agents of SHIELD]'s good now

It's better than it was, but still a long shot from qualifying as "good."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fooz posted:

I'm one more to add to the list of people sick of all of this. It just all seems so damned stupid. I really have no idea why people would pay $15 to watch a bunch of CGI people fight one another.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Reminder that Rarity still thinks Glee is good. Do not trust her lies.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I pay $5 to see movies at my local theater. Spending that for 2 hours of entertainment doesn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PittTheElder posted:

I'm one more to add to the list of people sick of all of this. It just all seems so damned stupid. I really have no idea why people would pay $15 to watch a bunch of CGI people fight one another.

I don't think they are stupid or bad, just really dull. I can't remember a single story thing about either Thor movies. Anthony Hopkins was in them for some reason and Natalie Portman did something I think.

• Locked thread