Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

Morty is born, Rick greets his Morty but he can't stay because the intergalactic government is after all Ricks. And Morty
Isn't dumb enough to disguise him yet. Spends a long time running around until Morty is old enough to be camouflage. The end.

We learn in this episode that "most timelines have a Rick and most Ricks have a Morty." However in the dimensional TV episode, timelines in which Jerry and Beth are together and have Summer seem to be fairly rare, which should make timelines with Mortys even more rare. I figure the Ricks answer that problem by cloning Mortys, which is why they treat them more like commodities than companions. Figure our Rick spent some time with a cloned/purchased Morty who might have gotten cocky and that he dropped back into Beth's life to acquire a newer, natural born Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Was the Citadel of Ricks meant to look like the Citadel in Mass Effect?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Typical posted:

My girlfriend is going to be an additional voice in this episode.

Is your girlfriend Ryan Riddley?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pick posted:

This was a superb episode. Gags were in high form, but the plot was truly excellent. I love how all the Ricks treasure Beth (I like Beth). Shame Summer didn't apparently have anything to do. I thought doofus Rick was rather touching and sweet, even if he eats poo poo :unsmith:.

Wait are you friends with that guy? You know he eats poo poo, right? Oh my god this is RICH. I got like...ten Picks to call right now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Affi posted:

Morty is born, Rick greets his Morty but he can't stay because the intergalactic government is after all Ricks. And Morty
Isn't dumb enough to disguise him yet. Spends a long time running around until Morty is old enough to be camouflage. The end.

Rick is a time traveler and can go visit his infant-Morty whenever he wants.

I would like to think that our Rick is the most person-like non-dufus Rick. While he constantly acts like he has zero shits to give, we are continually given evidence that he does care about his family (albeit reluctantly).

Rick's family views him as almost a deity: he wields essentially godlike powers with a certain amount of aloofness. And much like the deities of parables, when Rick answers your prayers, you get more than you bargain for (and maybe a lesson about life, though he would never admit it). He kills the Jellybean King, makes a love potion for Morty, gives Meeseeks and alternate reality goggles to the family, helps train the dog, rescues Summer from Gazorpazorp, and all of the other unlisted shenanigans.

In a real sense, Rick has wildly improved his family's lives since returning. Morty and Summer are becoming more well-rounded and pragmatic individuals, Beth and Jerry's marriage seems to strengthen each episode, and even Jerry's neuroses seem to be getting under some kind of control, despite his role as comic relief.

Fake Edit: after rewatching, boy did Beth get her wish when she said she wanted to see "more of [Rick]."

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

johntfs posted:

We learn in this episode that "most timelines have a Rick and most Ricks have a Morty." However in the dimensional TV episode, timelines in which Jerry and Beth are together and have Summer seem to be fairly rare, which should make timelines with Mortys even more rare. I figure the Ricks answer that problem by cloning Mortys, which is why they treat them more like commodities than companions. Figure our Rick spent some time with a cloned/purchased Morty who might have gotten cocky and that he dropped back into Beth's life to acquire a newer, natural born Morty.

I don't think there is much cloning involved. If 0.00000001% of all possible realities have Morty in it, that's still an infinite number of Mortys. That's how infinity works. Seeing a bunch of Mortys in one spot would only be unlikely to happen if by chance, which the citadel is not. Everyone deliberately gathered there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Occupation posted:

I got like...ten Ricks to call right now.

You really ought to know that name by now.
VVV Thanks. I am really dense and sorry for that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 9, 2014

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

5 more minutes of this and I'm gonna get mad!

Air is lava! posted:

You really ought to know that name by now.

It's the person he was quoting's username.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I have two thoughts:
a) Was that an uncommonly large quantitiy of Morties? If "Most timelines have a Rick and most Ricks have a Morty" that would suggest there are less Morties than Ricks, but we have evidence that there are significantly more "loose" Morties than Ricks. Probably nothing. Maybe not though?

b) I really want to see Furniture-Rick and Furniture-Morty.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Morty can't exist in realities Rick doesn't, Rick is his maternal grandfather.

edit: excluding realities where people can be created without having a maternal grandfather, I guess. Like I don't picture the hammer people necessarily having that much physiologically related to us.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 9, 2014

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
What about the reality where Hitler cured cancer? The answer is don't think about it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Was the Citadel of Ricks meant to look like the Citadel in Mass Effect?

I thought that too, I hope that Typical weighs in on this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

Morty can't exist in realities Rick doesn't, Rick is his maternal grandfather.

edit: excluding realities where people can be created without having a maternal grandfather, I guess. Like I don't picture the hammer people necessarily having that much physiologically related to us.

There are presumably many realities where the Ricks did not, for one reason or another, re-enter their daughter's family's lives and pair up with "their" Morty. These Morty's would be horribly unprotected from Ricks from other dimensions that would take them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It looked nothing like the Citadel in Mass Effect. Not even remotely.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I have two thoughts:
a) Was that an uncommonly large quantitiy of Morties? If "Most timelines have a Rick and most Ricks have a Morty" that would suggest there are less Morties than Ricks, but we have evidence that there are significantly more "loose" Morties than Ricks. Probably nothing. Maybe not though?

b) I really want to see Furniture-Rick and Furniture-Morty.

There are infinite universes, so even though there are fewer Morties than Ricks, there are still an infinite number of Morties.

Also my autocorrect corrects "Morties" to "Mortise."

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Irish Joe posted:

Its something all right.

Better than the cold war between book readers and show only watchers in the Game of Throne threads.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Waltzing Along posted:

It looked nothing like the Citadel in Mass Effect. Not even remotely.

did too

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pakled posted:

There are infinite universes, so even though there are fewer Morties than Ricks, there are still an infinite number of Morties.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there different levels of infinities? There could be uncountably infinite Ricks but only countably infinite Morties, such that there aren't enough Morties to pair them up 1:1.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/close-rick-counters-of-the-rick-kind.html

Go to the 2:08 mark.

Doesn't look anything like this:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
haha, you thought they meant the outside?

no one cares about the outside of things

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

haha, you thought they meant the outside?

no one cares about the outside of things

That's the Citadel.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there different levels of infinities? There could be uncountably infinite Ricks but only countably infinite Morties, such that there aren't enough Morties to pair them up 1:1.

In my experience, math treats infinity like it is mere endlessness, I assuming because endlessness is technically finite and therefore quantifiable one way or another, while philosophy treats infinity like it is infinite. So with that distinction in mind, philosophical infinity comes in only one form, literal infinity. In which its all uncountable and quite frankly nonsensical. If were going to start discussing this seriously, we have to suspend disbelief because an actual infinity of universes is logically impossible, as is an infinity of anything. Infinity is pure fiction. So if we want to be able to rationalize this stuff, we have to use the mathematical model of infinity which appears to just be endlessness, which is finite. Variation within endlessness is whatever the author decides it is. If he wants only 50 of all endless possibilities to include mortys, thats fine. So yeah you could in theory have uncountably many Ricks but countably many Mortys.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

That's the Citadel.

when I thought of the citadel I thought of

with the same fountains and shops and stuff thats in the episode from about 2:09 onward

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
"of all the Ricks in the Central Finite Curve"

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Could it be that the reason there aren't many Ricks without Morties is because without a Morty, a Rick doesn't really develop much "Rick"-ness? It's possible that to eventually develop into a crazy super-scientist, Rick needs to have a daughter to motivate that inner drive. Additionally, it could be that to fully develop into what we know of as RICK, he needs a grandson to care for, and coincidentally, to mask his increasingly "weapon of mass destruction" level brainwaves from non-Rick entities who don't like competition. Without a Morty, Ricks either coast along at "genius scientist" level, or become incredibly smart and easy to detect, and get killed by non-Rick entities.

Look at the one Rick we know who doesn't have a Morty: he's an unmotivated idiot. But within a few hours of being exposed to someone who treats him like a parent (Jerry), he's already invented ovenless brownies. Maybe doofus Rick is a doofus because he never had kids that made him strive to not be a doofus?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

johntfs posted:

There are so few Summer because they were going to abort her, maybe if they do there are timelines where they still stay together and have Morties.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

with the same fountains and shops and stuff thats in the episode from about 2:09 onward

Yeah that's what I meant. Maybe it's just that I'm playing ME3 at the moment but I thought they looked kind of similar.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. Maybe it's just that I'm playing ME3 at the moment but I thought they looked kind of similar.

I think they just look similar in that both have a lot of white space. I did not get a presidium vibe at all from the Citadel 'a Ricks.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

socialsecurity posted:

There are so few Summer because they were going to abort her, maybe if they do there are timelines where they still stay together and have Morties.

I'd say it's more that there are relatively few Summers and Mortys in existence, but in a seemingly infinite multiverse, that's still a lot of Summers and Mortys.

And in most of those realities the Smiths have a lot of Family Game Nights apparently.

The council probably doesn't count Ricks without Mortys as real Ricks. Why? Because Doofus Rick, that's why.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 9, 2014

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

hcreight posted:

The council probably doesn't count Ricks without Mortys as real Ricks. Why? Because Doofus Rick, that's why.

This is why the show owns, when they can, they make the answer something that's funny. But it does have a great deal of logic and thought, just maybe not too much care between episodes, other than comedy call backs. It keeps straight what it has to and literally hand waves away anything it doesn't want to explain. They go out of their way to make jokes about that stuff, like Rick saying "Wow, sure was lucky we found that store that had lab coats and children's shirts in our exact styles" and even Morty, the supreme idiot of all universes is like "Yeah, yeah, whatever, who cares".

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

Are you thinking of countable vs. Uncountable infinity?

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/74268.html

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think they just look similar in that both have a lot of white space. I did not get a presidium vibe at all from the Citadel 'a Ricks.

It's a clean white space mall called The Citadel with shops and trees and bureaucrats. I don't think it's necessarily an homage or anything but it's not a stretch to say they're similar. :shrug:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I wonder if having Rick around is beneficial to Jerry simply because Rick's level of intellect puts Jerry so much closer to everyone else on the bell curve than he would be otherwise.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know about that, but surely Ricks who are in houses with both a Morty and a Jerry are better hidden than just being near a Morty...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

This is the Presidium. A district on the Citadel.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

You're the guy who asks "which part of Venice is it like" when I'm stood on a loving gondola.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Holy poo poo this episode spawned a lot of talk. Cool thing about this show is that Rick's all-powerful science abilities basically gives the creators unlimited potential to do anything they want. I'm not gonna think too much about this last episode but it was really good, and I'm gonna guess the evil Morty will probably make another appearance someday and answer some of y'alls questions.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Waltzing Along posted:

You're the guy who responds to "what's up" with "the sky" with a poo poo-eating smirk on your face

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

You're the guy who s-- who says, like. Like when someone asks you if...

Look, gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm a fan of Rick making a Robot 14 year old Morty while he waits for real Morty to grow up theory. That's kinda interesting. At least right now where all we can do is blindly speculate. Haha.

• Locked thread