Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Chinatown posted:

As a San Diegan that is loving offensive to be lumped in with Irvine. Hey bruh lets go to the Spectrum and ride the ferris wheel and look at the freeways and tract housing.

As a UCI student without a car (so basically I'm stuck here), I'm pretty much bored to death on the weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Also the Inland Empire is great and I will defend it to my death :colbert:

Its a wasteland.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Chinatown posted:

Its a wasteland.

The reason why it's the biggest county in the continental US is because we'd feel bad giving other parts of it to other counties.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Its a wasteland.

I'd rather live here than the Bay Area.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Disneyland isn't in Irvine.

No CSU either, unless you count the Irvine branch of CSUF...which you shouldn't.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Yeah I would take meth-heads over "tech" workers any day.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

I'm glad there's no drugs in the Bay Area anymore. I know it's a crummy region and not for everyone but a middle class household can still afford a home here which is something to be said.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I like Alhambra but I also like asian food and bubble tea so

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Whoa I came in here looking for California news but now I get to check something off my bucket list:

"Meet somebody who likes the IE"

Man you never know when life's gonna come knockin'.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I'm glad there's no drugs in the Bay Area anymore. I know it's a crummy region and not for everyone but a middle class household can still afford a home here which is something to be said.

There's a reason houses are cheap there.

The Bay Area has thousands of amazing restaurants, dozens of amazing museums, hundreds of live music venues, interesting events and activities happening every day, and yet still manages to have lots of high-quality protected green space. This is why it's more entertaining to live here than in the Inland Empire.

We also have a higher average standard of living, much better employment prospects, a functional public transportation network, milder summer weather, a far more multicultural population, and we actually provide more services for the poor, too. We have fresher groceries (and a wider variety of fresh groceries), and a wider variety of outdoor activities you can get to within an hour or two's drive.

And of course we have more liberal politics, although obviously some people prefer that and some people hate it.

It's definitely more expensive to live here (but we also have higher salaries). I'm sympathetic to those who can't or don't want to pay what it costs for real estate in the bay area. But to actually prefer the soul-sucking cultural vacuum of the Inland Empire just strikes me as either rationalizing one's inescapable situation, or alternatively, a really bizarre prioritization of home square footage over all other aspects of human quality of life.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Leperflesh posted:

There's a reason houses are cheap there.

The Bay Area has thousands of amazing restaurants, dozens of amazing museums, hundreds of live music venues, interesting events and activities happening every day, and yet still manages to have lots of high-quality protected green space. This is why it's more entertaining to live here than in the Inland Empire.

We also have a higher average standard of living, much better employment prospects, a functional public transportation network, milder summer weather, a far more multicultural population, and we actually provide more services for the poor, too. We have fresher groceries (and a wider variety of fresh groceries), and a wider variety of outdoor activities you can get to within an hour or two's drive.

And of course we have more liberal politics, although obviously some people prefer that and some people hate it.

It's definitely more expensive to live here (but we also have higher salaries). I'm sympathetic to those who can't or don't want to pay what it costs for real estate in the bay area. But to actually prefer the soul-sucking cultural vacuum of the Inland Empire just strikes me as either rationalizing one's inescapable situation, or alternatively, a really bizarre prioritization of home square footage over all other aspects of human quality of life.

They might just not want to be surrounded by so many loving people all the time. You know that feeling you get when you go into a coffee shop or get ready to pay at a grocery store and there's no one in front of you? Imagine that but all the time.

It's not for everyone but I get it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

They might just not want to be surrounded by so many loving people all the time. You know that feeling you get when you go into a coffee shop or get ready to pay at a grocery store and there's no one in front of you? Imagine that but all the time.

It's not for everyone but I get it.

You can get that in a lot of places that aren't Inland Empire, though.

And actually even in the Bay Area there's the dense cities and there's some much less dense towns and more isolated areas. I mean, you can live in La Honda or Aptos or Crockett or (if you can afford it, lol) a lot of Marin and have that kind of experience most of the time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Leperflesh posted:

And actually even in the Bay Area there's the dense cities and there's some much less dense towns and more isolated areas. I mean, you can live in La Honda or Aptos or Crockett or (if you can afford it, lol) a lot of Marin and have that kind of experience most of the time.
Just live in Colma. You're surrounded by lots of people, true, but they're extremely quiet and and really good at leaving you alone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Not if you work in LA or Orange county, which more than 40% of IE residents do.

Look, I understand that IE has been the laughing stock of California for a long time but I really don't see why. I lived in Orange County most of my life and only moved out here 3 years ago. I thought it was all meth-heads, lifted trucks, and bros. There's pockets of that sure, but it's mostly middle-class families. That's where they moved out to because they got priced out of the housing market. It's not all Bartow, Victorville, or stuff you see on GTAV. It's historical cities like Riverside, mountain cities like Big Bear and wine country like Temecula.

Leperflesh posted:

My priority was that I could raise on a salary that doesn't require me to break my back but still afford to buy a home in a safe neighborhood with a great school district and still have my wife be able to stay home and take care of our kids. I have a nice lawn that I treat like Hank Hill and enjoy fixing stuff around my house. I trade a 45-minute commute for that pleasure but that's the sacrifice I've agreed to make. I still take my kids to the museums on the weekends, maybe they're not quite as big as yours. We have a cool desert in Palm Springs, but it's just desert animals, sorry. I have to drive 4 blocks to get to the grocery store and I transfer from a train to a bus to get to work instead of a direct shot but I don't mind. My soul isn't crushed, I'm a very happy individual, moreso than when I lived in an apartment in Orange County. I have a little space from my neighbors but still talk to them, my neighbor is a retired professor. There's a park across the street and my city has the Santa Ana river trail which is a bike path that goes all the way from the mountains to the ocean.

Also we aren't in our own rear end about how anyone would ever want to live anywhere else, which is nice.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 9, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also there are tons of places in the Bay Area cheaper than the IE, sure you're not living in SF but you're not living in SF no matter what anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can certainly understand how almost anywhere on earth would be better than Orange loving County. That particular pocket of hyper-conservatism is just horrifying to me. I've never actually been there, mind you, so I'm somewhat talking out of my rear end, but it has a reputation.

I'm not in my own rear end about how anyone would want to live anywhere else. I think there's excellent reasons to live lots of places that aren't the Bay Area. Just not the IE, especially.

FCKGW posted:

Also we aren't in our own rear end about how anyone would ever want to live anywhere else, which is nice.

I don't think slagging off one part of the state over another part is especially productive, but I'll remind you that you started it:

FCKGW posted:

You're welcome to live wherever you prefer, of course, and I wish you the best. But even if I couldn't live in the bay area, there are vast swathes of the country I'd take over IE. I'm not even anti-desert, I've visited Joshua Tree (in October, so it wasn't too hot) and I kind of liked it. Get out to yucca valley and parts eastward, and you have some fairly unspoiled desert to enjoy. Or go north, and check out mojave. IE just seems like it has the worst aspects of living in an LA suburb, combined with the worst aspects of living in a recently-built-up sprawling cultural wasteland, plus excessively hot weather and bad politics.

You said you grew up in the OC and now live in IE. Have you ever lived anywhere else?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Let's talk more about SoCal being better than OtherCal
It isn't.

Also I have to say that growing up in Rural NorCal is waaaaay more boring than any city on that list. Look at all the podunk towns on I5 between Sacramento and Redding.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eureka is even more of a cultural wasteland than IE. It's only saving grace is that it's not as horribly hot all summer. Oh and you can drive to some amazing locations from there, including shasta and lassen and mendocino and, uh, Oregon.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yo real talk West LA is a loving weird place filled with some truly awful people. Also traffic. Anyone who talks about "culture" there needs mental help.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Eureka is even more of a cultural wasteland than IE. It's only saving grace is that it's not as horribly hot all summer. Oh and you can drive to some amazing locations from there, including shasta and lassen and mendocino and, uh, Oregon.

If you think Eureka is bad, try Yreka.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Illuminado posted:

Let's talk more about SoCal being better than OtherCal
It isn't.

Also I have to say that growing up in Rural NorCal is waaaaay more boring than any city on that list. Look at all the podunk towns on I5 between Sacramento and Redding.

Hey does anyone have any opinions on burritos?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Oh boy here we go.

San Diego is undisputed champion of burritos. Mission burritos are garbage and the reason Chipotle exists.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I gotta give the nod to SD burritos (and live in the Bay Area) but Taqueria Guadalajara on Mission is incredible as well. That was our go-to when I had friends in the city proper.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

FCKGW posted:

Best burritos are where all the food comes from.

Sacto 4 Lyfe

I believe the bars add all the legitimacy required to deem it 'Authentic.'

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 10, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Real question for San Diegans: I'm taking the kiddos to the zoo first week in May but we're staying in Del Mar. Are the beaches there any good? Anything else the kids may enjoy?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

Real question for San Diegans: I'm taking the kiddos to the zoo first week in May but we're staying in Del Mar. Are the beaches there any good? Anything else the kids may enjoy?
Beaches are great (water is cold, though).

Also in SD for kids: LegoLand, Sea World, Wild Animal Park or whatever they're calling it now (a must-see).

Del Mar is a wealthy beach community so its kind of short on tourist attractions and kid's stuff.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
15th street in Del Mar is real nice that was my beach growin up!

If you want to be not like other tourists feel free to not leave a bunch of trash on the beach when you leave!

People from Arizona apparently treat our beaches like they do the desert back home and leave trash everywhere.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I have to drive 4 blocks
This pretty much explains why the IE is an unlivable hell hole.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

This pretty much explains why the IE is an unlivable hell hole.

That's nothing unique to the IE. I'm guessing you think anything outside a major city center is a hell hole?

EDIT: You probably mean driving 4 blocks. I buy a lot of groceries (6 people) and the store carts have those little wheel locks on them.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 10, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I'm not really a burrito person. Give me those tri-tips dinners that you see in all the central coast towns on the weekends. Just local rotary groups that haul out those huge BBQs and churn out the most amazing tri-tip, garlic bread, beans and salad all spring and summer.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Except they always provide the shittiest plastic forks and knives! :argh:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Yes, we're all tech workers here in the Bay Area. Every last one of us. And there's no meth-heads here, no sir!

FCKGW posted:

there's no drugs in the Bay Area anymore

What the gently caress alternate reality version of the Bay Area are you familiar with?

Chinatown posted:

Oh boy here we go.

San Diego is undisputed champion of burritos. Mission burritos are garbage and the reason Chipotle exists.

Fool, Chipotle was founded in Colorado by a guy from Indiana who lived in SF for a year or some poo poo. It's a cheap imitation of a true mission burrito, but I do not expect you lowly San Diegans to know such things.

You guys have good burritos in SD though. Except for that one time I was directed to a "good" burrito place, where the burritos were tiny and had nothing but chewy meat, a gallon of grease, hot sauce, and onions in it. :wtc:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Illuminado posted:

I hope that doesn't include Davis...Davis rules.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sba posted:

I hope that doesn't include Davis...Davis rules.

Davis is southwest of Sacramento. It's central valley, really more of a sac-halo town, and actually a really nice college town with lots of good food and art and live music and young people. Also amazing as a bicycle town.

I think he's talking about like, Redding and northward. There are great outdoor destinations up there - shasta, lassen, redwood, basically everything along the coast, mendocino, etc. But the "cities" are pretty barren, very white, and mostly devoid of interesting activities like good live music.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Burritos shouldn't have french fries in them. I said it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rah! posted:

Yes, we're all tech workers here in the Bay Area. Every last one of us. And there's no meth-heads here, no sir!

:thejoke:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

I like Alhambra but I also like asian food and bubble tea so

It also has Santa Anita which puts it ahead of 70% of California jurisdictions already.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Leperflesh posted:

Davis is southwest of Sacramento. It's central valley, really more of a sac-halo town, and actually a really nice college town with lots of good food and art and live music and young people. Also amazing as a bicycle town.

I think he's talking about like, Redding and northward. There are great outdoor destinations up there - shasta, lassen, redwood, basically everything along the coast, mendocino, etc. But the "cities" are pretty barren, very white, and mostly devoid of interesting activities like good live music.

I meant like the hamlets you'd run into in rural NorCal. Having gone to school with enough folks from Williams, Maxwell, Los Molinos, basically the towns of <2k, I can say that it's pretty loving boring. Also, Davis is ok, but you have to go to Sacto for the cool stuff.

Go Sharks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Illuminado posted:

I meant like the hamlets you'd run into in rural NorCal. Having gone to school with enough folks from Williams, Maxwell, Los Molinos, basically the towns of <2k, I can say that it's pretty loving boring. Also, Davis is ok, but you have to go to Sacto for the cool stuff.

Sacramento and cool stuff don't belong in the same sentence.

• Locked thread