Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think Batman Inc. has the best Talia's ever been.

Death and the Maidens for me. I liked Inc in general but I agree with Talia's portrayel being off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

redbackground posted:

Oh, definitely. I think it was also the build-up after RoBW/B&R of "What Did Bruce See?!!" that caused him to create Inc to prepare for the worst. Talia and some Man Bats wasn't quite the heights of terror I was expecting.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll ever quite get over years of buildup to an epic conclusion culminating in a... swordfight between Bruce and Talia, and then a minor character showing up and killing the villain.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
WHAT THE gently caress DC? :cry:

Is from the September's Batman Death of the Family TP and Joker Mask Set. only $39.99 USD

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

WHAT THE gently caress DC? :cry:

What's wrong with it? It'll sell a buttload more than the owl mask pack-in

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've just finished Batman vs the Black Glove; is The Black Casebook worth reading, and if it is should I read it before or after RIP?

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The Black Casebook is awesome, but if you're not familiar with Golden/Silver Age comics, it might be pretty jarring if you're only familiar with modern Batman and modern storytelling. But the stories in there are great, especially Robin Dies at Dawn, and it's worth reading if only for Morrison's introduction in which he explains the influence each story had on RIP.

Whether you should read it before or after is a little tricky. If you read it before, it might spoil some elements of RIP, but the stories in it also illuminate some details from RIP. Maybe read RIP first, then read the Black Casebook, then re-read RIP?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I know bits and pieces about RIP (hearing about Morrison's crazy run was what made me want to pick it up, and is partly what got me back into comics), so I might just read Black Casebook first.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
This week's Batman '66 is a corker, it's variety night in Arkham and the Joker's doing stand-up. Plus Jonathan Case is back on art duties and good grief, it's gorgeous.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I thought Detective was pretty today, although very much an intro issue. I'm sort of annoyed they're going back to the Bruce is pining for Damian well but I guess everyone wants a crack at that poo poo before they die.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

I thought Detective was pretty today, although very much an intro issue. I'm sort of annoyed they're going back to the Bruce is pining for Damian well but I guess everyone wants a crack at that poo poo before they die.

It makes sense in the way that at his base Bruce is a character who cannot handle death very well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And with any luck, Damian will be back this year.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And with any luck, Damian will be back this year.

I don't know how to feel about that. On the one hand, I really like Damian. On the other hand, I don't think there's a single way they could bring him back that wouldn't be hacky and lovely. But on the other other hand though, they really can't keep doing this whole "Bruce grieving Damian" schtick, and realistically (and yes I know realistically is a relative term in a universe where men regularly fly), it's gonna be weirder and weirder for Bruce to make up excuses for why Damian isn't around to the public.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are building up to him having to deal with it. Which is what the public thing will symbolize.

I don't think they will undercut that with a revival.

Plus I don't think they want to piss Morrison off.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 4, 2014

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Hopefully they do something original and keep Damian dead forever. I say that as a massive fan of Damian. They can have Ra's grow a replacement or something, but I hope they keep the Damian we had (with his memories, attitude etc.) dead. But, comics.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are building up to him having to deal with it. Which is what the public thing will symbolize.

I don't think they will undercut that with a revival.

Well the current 'Batman& Guest star' arc is called 'The hunt for Robin' and Tomasi claimed than it was the prologue for a BIG story than starts on July as part of Batman 75th anniversary...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Morrison ended his run showing Ra's' room full of Damiclones.

Not sure how he could be angry with them resurrecting the kid. He's handed them that opportunity.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 4, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I'd like them to bring back Damian, not for any affinity to the character but I prefer the story beat of family surviving and changing instead of "kid is killed because of parents squabbling".

I'll agree that the issue was very pretty but very much set up. It feels as if the inaugural storyline to writing a Bat book is to introduce some wealthy socialite that wants to make a deal with Bruce and then ~bad things happen~.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't love Detective. Really awful dialogue for the hip/street/teenage characters.
"Awk-ward"

Hey Gothamites... Do you love extreme motorsports? Then head along to 'Gotham presents Extreme Motorsports!' this sunday!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 5, 2014

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I had this done today. It'll need another round of color/detail after it heals a bit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's great. Needs the smile though. Make sure they put that in.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 6, 2014

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
My brain hurts from reading Batman Eternal.

THAT IS NOT HOW SUBWAYS WORK

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I liked it.

It was dumb but in a comic book dumb way, I'm sure there will be a ridiculous super villain plan for why the trains were like they were and if there were even people on it and it wasn't ~mind games~.

I was expecting something terrible but I'm down to see for the next few weeks to see what they do.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DynamicSloth posted:

My brain hurts from reading Batman Eternal.

THAT IS NOT HOW SUBWAYS WORK

Next you're going to tell me you can't give a fish a big ol' rictus grin.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Waterhaul posted:

It was dumb but in a comic book dumb way, I'm sure there will be a ridiculous super villain plan for why the trains were like they were and if there were even people on it and it wasn't ~mind games~.
This would be a stretch but I'm fine with that as a comic book explanation but not how anyone could think it was somehow possibly Gordon's fault, which is what the big dramatic close is predicated on.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DynamicSloth posted:

This would be a stretch but I'm fine with that as a comic book explanation but not how anyone could think it was somehow possibly Gordon's fault, which is what the big dramatic close is predicated on.

Well it's Gotham which means that at least 90% of the people who would accuse Gordon are also corrupt and in on the plan.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah but they'd be just as well off all agreeing to make up that they saw Gordon drown a sack of kittens, then their elaborate conspiracy to frame Gordon for something that is physically impossible on its face.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

It makes sense in the way that at his base Bruce is a character who cannot handle death very well.
See I disagree with this notion. I mean, if my mom died of cancer, nobody would fault me for doing a cancer walk every year, donating a lot of my money to research, or, if I was a doctor, dedicating myself to eradicating cancer. There's nothing wrong with someone's reaction to a bad thing being "I'll make sure this doesn't happen again." Yeah, the idea of an eight year-old losing his parents and going, "Alright. It's decided. I'll dedicate myself to eradicating crime" is crazy, but it's comic book crazy. It's rooted in emotions that make sense and have never seemed disproportionately unhealthy outside of takes that depict Bruce in arrested development.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Eternal #7 cover:

Yeah, my expectatives keeps getting lower and lower...

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That's a fine cover. I really like how his cigarette is just above the water so he can still smoke. Gotta have priorities.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DynamicSloth posted:

Personally I think one of the twists is that the cop who ordered Gordon's arrest, Major Forbes, is in on it. I mean, apart from the fact that he is clearly a bad guy since he's against Gordon, but I think he's in on the frame job.

After all, despite having arrived but not witnessing Gordon shoot the guy, he seems to know that he was unarmed.
Also the bald guy talks to himself before he runs off, so it was clear that he knew what he was getting into.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I think you're putting a lot more weight on the word "twist" than it can possibly bear. The character is dripping "I am a corrupt douchebag" from his first line (a couple of pages prior).

Jim Gordon being framed is fine for a story jumping off point, so is Jim Gordon is drugged into accidentally shooting an innocent man or causing a fatal train accident. My problem is in not wanting to commit to the latter plot by having Gordon actually be responsible for killing someone they contrived a ridiculous scenario which is supposed to assure the reader Gordon's not really culpable but three non corrupt police officers are too stupid to come to the same conclusion.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DynamicSloth posted:

I think you're putting a lot more weight on the word "twist" than it can possibly bear. The character is dripping "I am a corrupt douchebag" from his first line (a couple of pages prior).

Jim Gordon being framed is fine for a story jumping off point, so is Jim Gordon is drugged into accidentally shooting an innocent man or causing a fatal train accident. My problem is in not wanting to commit to the latter plot by having Gordon actually be responsible for killing someone they contrived a ridiculous scenario which is supposed to assure the reader Gordon's not really culpable but three non corrupt police officers are too stupid to come to the same conclusion.

That was pretty common with Tynion's run on Red Hood, a lot of his plots needed for the characters (and in some measure, the reader) to be retarded to work.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Timeless Appeal posted:

See I disagree with this notion. I mean, if my mom died of cancer, nobody would fault me for doing a cancer walk every year, donating a lot of my money to research, or, if I was a doctor, dedicating myself to eradicating cancer. There's nothing wrong with someone's reaction to a bad thing being "I'll make sure this doesn't happen again." Yeah, the idea of an eight year-old losing his parents and going, "Alright. It's decided. I'll dedicate myself to eradicating crime" is crazy, but it's comic book crazy. It's rooted in emotions that make sense and have never seemed disproportionately unhealthy outside of takes that depict Bruce in arrested development.

I haven't read Eternal yet as I am a long way from home so I can't comment on it just yet. In regards to this though, at its basis Batman is someone who would use his vast amounts of wealth to dress up and beat up insane people when he could use that money to making Gotham not a poo poo hole. I am okay with this though because comics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There were a bunch of things I did not understand on a basic level in Batman Eternal.

1) Batman is "late" because Professor Pyg's Professor Pyg Juice was eating away at his costume but HE HAD A SPARE which was some sort of hardcore Hulkbuster Iron Bat armor. He wears it long enough to bust through a wall and beat up a place and then immediately jumps out of his superarmor. Not only do I not understand why he took the armor off (or why he doesn't wear the armor all of the time) but when he gets out of the armor he's wearing a fresh, pristine Batman costume. Maybe do not take the time to put on TWO NEW LAYERS OF BATMAN COSTUMES, Batman. Maybe that is why you were late.

2) So Corrupt Evil Cop hears that Jason Bard, unimpeachable Good Police that stupid Good Police Gordon has specifically recruited from outside of the Corrupt Evil GCPD has arrived at headquarters. Maybe do not open up your first meeting with this guy by basically going "Gordon sucks, we're Corrupt as All Hell. How's it going, wanna be corrupt?"

3) Commissioner Gordon gets some sort of Hallucination Whammy thrown on him so he thinks that the thug is holding a gun. The thug is panicky and surrendering and insisting he doesn't have a gun, which admittedly Gordon sees as him holding a gun. Did he hallucinate the guy holding the gun even though his hand was like above his head or at least otherwise not clutching a gun? Did the Hallucination Whammy give Gordon an extra aggressive streak to go 1-2-3-SHOOT! to the guy who is obviously trying to surrender? Did the Hallucination Whammy give him the enhanced senses necessary to be able to perceive that his bullet passed through the hallucination gun?

4) Corrupt Evil Cop shows up with amazing speed to the site of the scene where Gordon hallucinates a gun and shoots through it and hits a circuit breaker that reroutes two trains to collide with each other in defiance of all mechanical layouts of subways. People on the scene even observe that the electrical panel he shot had absolutely nothing to do with train routing and it couldn't have possibly caused this accident. Corrupt Evil Cop goes HEY FOR SOME REASON I KNOW THAT YOU SHOT THAT PANEL AND CAUSED THIS AND THE GUY YOU SHOT AT WHO DIED INSTANTLY AND BLEW UP WAS UNARMED BECAUSE THAT IS NOT A SUSPICIOUS THING FOR ME TO KNOW AT ALL ANYWAY ARREST THIS MAN RIGHT NOW, IN THE NAME OF THE CORRUPT AS HELL GCPD and I mean sure, that happens all of the time to police.

I hope the twist is that Jason Bard is just the dumbest, most naive Panglossian manchild ever, and it takes him like being forced to sew together orphans into a living Atrocity Tapestry for the Joker before he starts to suspect that some of these Evil Corrupt Cops aren't on the up and up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe do not take the time to put on TWO NEW LAYERS OF BATMAN COSTUMES, Batman.
The Funny Panels thread has recently made it abundantly clear that this is something that Bruce been doing for a long, long time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

CBR News: James, the first arc of "Batman Eternal" was written by you and Scott Snyder after you both broke out an outline for the entire year-long series. What was it like to see this story change and take shape once it was actually being written in full script form?

"Batman Eternal" #1 kicks off a year-long, weekly story redefining Gotham City's defender's world
James Tynion IV: We first started talking about this about a year ago, and we weren't sure for a while when it was going to happen or if it was going to happen. But the core idea from the very beginning -- and what stayed true as we got the green light and went full speed ahead -- was, actually, the events of the first issue. That was the first moment we came up with. If we were going to do this, we knew we needed to start with something that radically changed Gotham City in a single moment. It had to be something with ramifications that would last a whole year and make the city so dangerous and crazy right off the bat that readers would have no idea what to expect. When we sat down to talk about it, we knew that's the kind of moment we wanted, and we had to build the story out of the Commissioner Gordon/Batman relationship. That's where the moment comes from, and people can guess what that means before they get the issue, but it will really change things for Batman and how he operates in Gotham City.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52049

So everything goes to poo poo for the train accident? Really? :raise:

And it does seems than everything is on Tynion, gently caress him. At least Seeley will be writing Jason and not him.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 10, 2014

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Your single-track hate-on for James Tynion is getting seriously loving creepy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

d00gZ posted:

Your single-track hate-on for James Tynion is getting seriously loving creepy.

As long he keeps writing lovely stories involving Jason, I will keep bitching :shrug:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 10, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked Eternal pretty okay! It was a lot better than any of JTIV's other Batman work. I didn't like the hogtie line, but that was about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As someone who's not into Batman at all, I thought Eternal was okay as well. Yeah, the subway thing was a stretch, but he was clearly being set up, and I'd like to see where it goes, anyway.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 10, 2014

• Locked thread