Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

RSCNyx posted:

I still don't know what MGS did to him to make him hate Hideo Kojima so much. I'm not sure what to make of it.

From what I've gathered, it was more LoS that really cemented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RSCNyx posted:

I wonder if those huge LoS prompts show up in his everyday life.

I can't imagine how he could be this bad with daily life stuff. He would need assistance to function like a normal person.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TARDISman posted:

"I fuckin' smash it on the table once, and the thing don't work"
DarkSydePhil: Unaware that most technology is averse to being slammed on a table in a fit of rage.

The way you can hear him violently slamming sticks and button while playing fighting games makes me wonder if he thinks controllers are supposed to be invincible or if he just expects them to break eventually and was surprised when a single beating destroyed a controller.

If you are getting so frustrated you feel the need to break a controller it may be time to take a break or re-evaluate your life because games shouldn't matter that much. But then again, I'm not a true gamer because I use direct capture and play on a PC.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

slowbeef posted:

But the thing is he doesn't get better because he just does one playthrough and moves onto the next game. I'm sure by the end of Dark Souls, he wasn't that bad at it, but if the next game was (say) Bayonetta, well, he's not gonna get good at that because he's just firing through each one one at a time. Being good at Street Fighter doesn't mean I'm good at Gradius or vice versa.

And again, this is forgivable if not for the foot-in-mouth part where he talks up his skillset. It's silly. He's an entertainer, and he should probably own that part of it, instead of the "True Gamer" nonsense.

The thing is, playing games does/should make you better at games generally. They don't always intersect but a lot of games have similar or copied mechanics, use the same tropes and lean on the same basic skills (pattern recognition, reaction, button memory), to the point that if you are playing the sheer volume of games DSP is, there should be some general improvement. Even if it was just as simple as "I keep missing poo poo, better pay attention to the tutorials". Also he was terrible at dark souls to the point of summoning in fans to basically play the game for him. He brute forced it like he does any game possible. And you mention bayonetta, but remember he couldn't even work out how to leave the loving starting area, despite the movie before it showing someone leap over the fence he needed to jump over, and an in game prompt appearing on how to jump every time he went past it. He even tried jumping over other fences and walls that were obviously too tall and had invisible walls, but not the one fence that was broken and obvious. The guy is just bad at games full stop.

The fact he was "good" at SF2 just makes this more amazing as that game generally requires a lot of background reading and learning match ups etc. He did that but apparently can't be bothered to read a 2 second prompt, or to read the item description in MGS that tells him how to put the silencer on, while trying to put a silencer on and scrolling through the items which tell him how to do so.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

So far, I've only looked through the videos that he's done while also streaming, but those videos are not edited at pre-determined lengths. The runtime for each video varies wildly, with him making conscious choices where to cut off each one and start the next.

Those conscious choices do not always make for the most ideal cutting points. It appears Phil doesn't take any sort of timing into account during his streams, so it's like forcing ad breaks into a movie being aired on television. I do not know if this was any different when he was just recording videos by himself and not simultaneously streaming for an audience.

There was at least one instance where something like a 2-second video got uploaded as part of a non-streamed LP he did because of a glitch in his workflow, so there's at least some automation in the non-streamed side of things.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Lunethex posted:

Did Phil ever play Resident Evil 6? And if someone dared watch it, did he do it with Agent Hunt mode on?

No clue, but I recently started this game up with a group of friends. I found myself slowly turning into DSP, blaming the game for bad things. The only problem is, most of these things actually are the game's fault, because it really is terrible. It's like...the perfect DSP game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He did it co-op with that John Rambo guy.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Attestant posted:

I think that would require 10,000 hours of effort.
10,000 hours of bodily functions into the mic.

This talk of workflow reminds me of PauseUnpause, one of the Mindcrackers, who clearly doesn't review his own videos as he tries to churn them out as fast as possible, resulting in such things as a black video, video that repeats itself, no audio...

This is in addition to things like
- Videos disappearing when Etho Fan Incidents arise
- Twitter ragequitting Dark Souls after the first video
- A lovely exchange with Zisteau in the middle of Diablo III co-op that went something along the lines of:
Pause: You're playing in 720?
Zisteau: 1080 takes up too much space when recording so I'd have to stop and process the files more often.
Pause: I just record everything at half size, zoom in and sharpen.
Zisteau: :stare: ohhh... kay then.

In comparison, the last time I saw Zisteau on the receiving end of an Etho Fan Incident, his handling of the matter went "I am a grown man and above this." and leaving it at that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fish Noise posted:

Etho Fan Incident

A what?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Without context to these specific incidents, I can only assume it's because Etho's fans are preteens who are super crazy about him to the point of attacking anyone who makes Etho look bad for any reason, despite the fact that Etho is friends with every person they go after.

There was a time when Etho lost in one of their Minecraft ultra hardcore things (everyone's locked in an arena and health regeneration is turned off, last one standing sort of deal) and his fans attacked the person that beat him because whenever he doesn't win it's because they cheated or something.

It's a case of Alright Person, lovely Fans.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Etho's worst fans tended to flood the videos of anyone who kills Etho in pvp with shitposts and dislikes.

edit: Yeah, Etho's in the unenviable position of being a magnet for the worst fans and unable to do very much about it. I understand he got stalked at one point.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 9, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Likewise Toby Turner has a bodyguard who gives with him to events, etc. People be crazy.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Sometimes even the SA LP crapshoot thread is given a non-crap video!

Dead Colony 1 is an indie game and we are playing through the epic singleplayer campaign. We are Doctor Martin Green who has recently been released from space prison after serving 10 years of a 25 year sentence for murder! Meanwhile, the prison itself appears to have been invaded by evil space creatures and it ain't as easy as walking out of the big gate out front..

I don't know how long this game is but if it breaks out into more than 3 or 4 episodes I guess I'll.. just keep posting 'em in here ;D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

RichardGamingo posted:

Yes, but today is not that day.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

RichardGamingo posted:

Dead Colony 1 is an indie game and we are playing through the epic singleplayer campaign. We are Doctor Martin Green who has recently been released from space prison after serving 10 years of a 25 year sentence for murder! Meanwhile, the prison itself appears to have been invaded by evil space creatures and it ain't as easy as walking out of the big gate out front..

I don't know how long this game is but if it breaks out into more than 3 or 4 episodes I guess I'll.. just keep posting 'em in here ;D

Why aren't you banned yet?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fish Noise posted:

10,000 hours of bodily functions into the mic.

This talk of workflow reminds me of PauseUnpause, one of the Mindcrackers...

Mindcrack is a subject I was hoping would come up at some point. If you don't know them, Mindcrack is a Minecraft server run by a guy who calls himself Guude that got really popular partially because a number of the people he invited to the server were YouTube Minecraft players. PauseUnpause, the guy Fish Noise mentions, got invited simply because he was so bad at games Guude found him amusing.

They didn't stick to Minecraft, so most of them do day one LPs of pretty much anything and everything that comes out. In this regard a lot of them are like DSP-lite as they read instructions out loud or ignore them completely, talk loudly over cutscenes, tell stories that have nothing to do with the game and are just not entertaining to watch play games. Except...except the time one of them decided to LP Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition after having LP'd the game when it came out on the PS3 and Xbox360. IT was the closest thing I've seen to an SA style LP on YouTube because after he had beaten Dark Souls the first time he kept playing it in his spare time and got legit good at it. You would think the fact that the videos were really popular would make him realize knowing a game may be a good thing and that people would watch something other than day one release videos, but nope, still doing three a day videos of Minecraft and two other games.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG

Boxturret posted:

Show me your Let's Play so I can give you some feedback

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RichardGamingo posted:

Show me your Let's Play so I can give you some feedback

Kill the face cam, don't fumble around with controls, play the game once or twice before lping it, and don't be a poo poo head when people tell you "Hey this isn't the right place for this."

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Turtlicious posted:

don't be a poo poo head

Honestly this is the key thing to take away here.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Uh, that seems like a bit of an overreaction bro

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

RichardGamingo posted:

Stick to chess.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Saagonsa posted:

100,000 hour probation then?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Okay, okay, let's not derail for a few pages on this.

Gamingo, pal, I don't know what you intended here as your video is just gonna get buried under pages of discussion. Honestly, roll the dice, make a thread. Title it "Just dickin' around with games" - not even an insult, I think that's what you're going for. Maybe enough people will like it that it'll become a thing.

edit: Never mind, I made one for you.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014

Best Regards,
RG

slowbeef posted:

Okay, okay, let's not derail for a few pages on this.

Gamingo, pal, I don't know what you intended here as your video is just gonna get buried under pages of discussion. Honestly, roll the dice, make a thread. Title it "Just dickin' around with games" - not even an insult, I think that's what you're going for. Maybe enough people will like it that it'll become a thing.

edit: Never mind, I made one for you.

Thanks for the tip & my megathread now feels way more official than one I might have posted!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Saagonsa posted:

Our beloved Richard has made quite a name for himself by spamming his videos on the forum, and I believe he even failed a mod challenge.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Jamesman posted:

Our beloved Richard has made quite a name for himself by spamming his videos on the forum, and I believe he even failed a mod challenge.

He passed the mod challenge, actually. Aced it, even.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Lazyfire posted:

Except...except the time one of them decided to LP Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition after having LP'd the game when it came out on the PS3 and Xbox360. IT was the closest thing I've seen to an SA style LP on YouTube because after he had beaten Dark Souls the first time he kept playing it in his spare time and got legit good at it. You would think the fact that the videos were really popular would make him realize knowing a game may be a good thing and that people would watch something other than day one release videos, but nope, still doing three a day videos of Minecraft and two other games.
This sounds like Zisteau, actually, and he seems to be a slightly unusual case. I started watching his Sea of Flame (objective-based Minecraft challenge map) videos and stuck around up until several months ago when I got busy and minecraft minecraft minecraft was getting mind numbing. Zisteau's immediate points of appeal in Minecraft are a combination of decent to pretty-good editing, bending challenge maps to his will, out-of-control construction projects, and large scale pranks which also happen to be out-of-control construction projects. He actually talks about process, logistics, and miscellaneous subjects (facepunching and alchohol) a lot, which provides some insight into how this sort of thing comes about.

He had already seen some SA LPs, and got into doing Minecraft videos in the first place just as a fun way to teach himself video editing.
Early on, Vechz asked him to test/play/record one of the original Super Hostile challenge maps, and from there, Zisteau became known for asserting dominance over such maps, eventually leading to him joining Mindcrack.
Of non-Minecraft games, he generally only starts day one series if he's extremely enthusiastic about the game in question and has some background with it: Dark Souls (Demon's Souls fan), Skyrim (played TES since at least Morrowind), Transformers Fall of Cybertron (gigantic long-time Transformers nerd).
Some non-Minecraft playthroughs are done out of nostalgia. His Baldur's Gate run was halted by a hard drive crash, and I think he didn't resume it after concluding its format and pacing weren't suited to Youtube. He completed a run of Hexen, having played through in the past and wanting to revisit and introduce it to more people, and his thoughts afterwards were particularly interesting.

When he did the Hexen run, Zisteau had already joined Mindcrack and made the switch to full-time Youtubing. Unlike certain people who record every single thing they do and vomit it out onto Youtube, Zisteau tries to curate his content and actually looks at the various numbers. With Hexen, he found that it was not worth the time it took to record and go over those videos - they weren't getting the numbers he could get out block games and occasional day one playthroughs. Thus, in the future, he would generally play such games for himself, without the additional effort of recording and editing.

Thus, Zisteau is balancing making a living playing games for an audience (a mix of consistent safe bet series and the occasional long shot), playing games for himself, and having an actual life (facepunching, alchohol, and world travel).

It might not make for the most interesting videos ever, but it lets him enjoy what he's doing instead of taking a turn for mindless video dumping or really cynical pandering.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

He passed the mod challenge, actually. Aced it, even.

"Aced" may be too strong of a word for something that was literally, "record a 20 minute video about chess".

Anyway, while we're on the subject of Gamingo: Facecams. There's been a lot of ideas posted about them. Slowbeef, for example, brought up only showing the facecam when you're actively showing emotion towards something that happens. I think that's a big reason why people watch and enjoy facecams, myself! Even if it's you over-reacting to something that isn't really all that exciting.

'Course, when you just have a camera at an angle on your face, and nothing is going on, you get something like this. He may or may not be a robot who's almost out of batteries.

(Also, the only reason I feel NorthernLion gets away with LPing BoI for so long is because he packs in so much emotion and enthusiasm in his videos. It really feels like he's playing the game for the first time every time, in some sort of weird way.)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fish Noise posted:

This sounds like Zisteau...

Correct, he's one of the few people I would actually suggest watching beyond his Ultra Hardcore videos, despite the fact he falls to catchphrases and stupid poo poo like that every now and again. He puts in waaaaay more effort than most of the guys on that server, going so far as to get a second Minecraft account and using it like a 3rd person camera while he builds stuff like some sort of IT Nerd version of Survivorman. Actually, he also did a Terraria series where each new monster got a stat card that appeared on the screen when it first showed up, which I thought was actually pretty great. The nature of Terraria makes it hard to suggest watching it, though.

If people are wondering if they should start watching Mindcrack stuff I guess Zisteau is a good place to start, though he does fall victim to a lot of things you expect from YouTube guys, so he'll read stuff out loud, talk over characters, forget what he's supposed to be doing, or spend so much time talking he misses important details.

Most to all of the other guys on that server are not recommended on nearly any front aside from Ultra Hardcore stuff, which is just about the only thing people do with Minecraft that is actually interesting to watch. It's sort of like with DSP where you get the feeling they are playing games because they "have" to, not because they find anything actually fun to do.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Vintagebeef's not too bad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Roar posted:

Oldbeef's a little dry

:downsrim:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I rather like Kurt in UHC or when he's got notecards, but he gets really easily offtrack and repeats himself a lot when he goes off his notes. Far Lands or Bust is basically a vlog where he's occasionally distracted by voxels, and less of a let's play.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

He's also slowbeef's brother.

(ok not really)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jamesman posted:

He's also slowbeef's brother.

(ok not really)
I bet there's a fastbeef out there somewhere.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
And if you get him out from under the truck he'll show you how to find beefthree.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

As much as I want to tell you why VintageBeef is terrible for his perpetuation of a million unfunny catchphrases and lovely ability to actually play games, it has come to my attention that The Humble Bundle theme for this week is that the HB guys let PewDiePie select which games would be in the Bundle.

Yeah, that is a real rear end thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lazyfire posted:

As much as I want to tell you why VintageBeef is terrible for his perpetuation of a million unfunny catchphrases and lovely ability to actually play games, it has come to my attention that The Humble Bundle theme for this week is that the HB guys let PewDiePie select which games would be in the Bundle.

That's the second time that happened already, actually.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Lazyfire posted:

It has come to my attention that The Humble Bundle theme for this week is that the HB guys let PewDiePie select which games would be in the Bundle.

What the gently caress, they already did that last year. Why are they giving him ANOTHER weekly bundle?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Lazyfire posted:

I don't understand this complaint? Going with the most popular youtube 'personality' to sell a bundle isn't some mad idea. It makes business sense since it's a known name brand now that does make money and hey, it'll make money for charity. The real complaint is that the bundle itself is oddly priced and sectioned out, not that PDP has any hand in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's a "celebrity" endorsement. Cereal brands do it all the time. :shrug:

• Locked thread