Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

"Even you?" WTF Nancy, do you live in that house? Fritzy cries once a week as another rock "legend" dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oh my God, look at that face in panel 2.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant
Linked today due to mild torture.
http://i.imgur.com/cSLTpN8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zXJ9wW4.jpg

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Also, drat, I was not expecting even Prince Valiant to still be ready and able to whoop someone's rear end like 10 minutes after being tortured by a bunch of crazed ancient Huns. Old school Prince Valiant was seriously hardcore.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 9, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They are seriously going to take eight weeks to go "LOL HE IS REAL POLICEMAN WHAT A JAPE," aren't they.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (March 22nd 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I'm actually kind of amazed at just how much Zachary Nixon Johnson fails on so many levels. It's gone from being annoying to me almost looking forward to seeing just how terrible it can get. It's like Pibgorn, except without the extra level of creepiness of being some old gently caress's fetish comic.

Instead of the usual disappointments like Nancy or Mike Du Jour - comics that are terrible because they just don't put any effort in at all - ZNJ is a comic that tries so loving hard in so many respects and is utterly incompetent in every aspect. I mean, the premise could have been really interesting. You have your deadbeat detective, hired because he's the only one left and no other reason, working to discover why a wealthy socialite keeps getting murdered. She never stays murdered because she is wealthy enough to resurrect herself, but is tired enough of the hassle to want to find out who among her equally wealthy, socialite and self-serving family are doing it. That's not the best plot ever but could have been interesting.

Instead we have Zachary Nixon Johnson.

• The art tries so hard to be that of a professional level comic, but looks like something done in Poser with a cast in the middle of an allergic reaction.
  • The characters try so hard to be unique and interesting, but end up cliched and really, really annoying.
  • It tries to be sexy in every respect, but ends up sad and desperate feeling.
  • The pacing is incredibly bad. Like I secretly suspect you're only posting every second or third comic because there should be a lot of exposition that happens between each comic but never does. It's less "breakneck pace" and more "totally schizophrenic".

It just amazes me. I can't turn away.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Useless posted:

I'm actually kind of amazed at just how much Zachary Nixon Johnson fails on so many levels. It's gone from being annoying to me almost looking forward to seeing just how terrible it can get. It's like Pibgorn, except without the extra level of creepiness of being some old gently caress's fetish comic.

As I've noted before, three people work on Zachary Nixon Johnson. My theory is that they're all competent professionals at penciling, inking/coloring, and writing (I believe that's the breakdown of their duties). Yet somehow they each are completely unable to work with one another and the sum of their efforts is far below the level any single one of them could do if working alone.

Also if you think the current plotline is interesting, I suggest reading Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. The story in it is kind of similar but competently executed. An elderly rich man has died from apparent suicide and been restored from a 48 hour old back-up. To find out if it was suicide or murder, and why it happened, he resurrects ex-black ops super soldier Takeshi Kovacs from digital storage and hires him (with Kovacs' resurrection as a bargaining chip) to investigate the death. It's a cyberpunk hard boiled detective novel and fantastic.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

I think this best summarizes my feelings on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Tomorrow, DANGER!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

He just totally :iceburn:-ed his own daughter, didn't he. What a dick.

Hey, I really like Emmy Lou, OK?

:v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Not an edit, but this is Brooke's last strip and a page from Ito's story Hallucinations, which I had just read.

Get the gently caress out of my head, McEldowney!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

This storyline is more infuriating than Mike du Jour. Sure the previous one about toddlers being hanged for piracy was absurd as well, but Popeye's passive-aggressive girlfriend screaming "If you don't have a last name you should be dead you piece of poo poo!" at him is something else. Who comes up with this? Where's Popeye beating up brutes? Come to think of it, why doesn't he just spinach-punch the mob outside his house until they're gone?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, Modesty Blaise:

The simple solution that everyone seems to be overlooking is that everyone on the boat except the professor (who is apparently trustworthy) is in on it. They 'witnessed' the saucer landing without the professor, since that's the one SFX they couldn't fake, they came prepared with pre-burned binoculars and such. And it's drat easy to have the engineer say 'I can't figure out why the engine won't work' when he sabotaged it himself.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Winnie the Pooh

Does Pooh ever eat anything besides honey?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

What a completely original idea!

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke's editor must have snuck in that last line.

Pibgorn

Fun fact: The actor playing Romeo threw the exact same fit when he found out he got the part.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Please please please please please please please let the next strip be everyone exploding. There is not a single dependable character here. The "bad" guys are better people.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
The final panel in last Wednesday's Cheap Thrills Cuisine is the best one yet.

I like leeks,* but seriously, how is that picture even food?

*and Luke Luck licks lakes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheap Thrills Cuisine could just replace the last panel with a Junji Ito mashup every time and it would be an objectively superior comic. It's pretty obvious by now that outside of us no one ever looks at that panel anyway.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant
Linked today due to mild torture.
http://i.imgur.com/cSLTpN8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zXJ9wW4.jpg

:stonk:

Juliet Jones

1. Way to levitate that sandwich, Eve.
2. "Breath-takingly innocent and dewy?" Ewwwwwwww....

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Grinch Romney would've been better than Grinch Paul.

Retail

Hell, why not? I say go for it. Marla only enforces rules on people she personally doesn't like, and the new AM actively encourages disregarding the rules. If someone does steal anything, just don't report it and fudge the numbers on the sales reports to cover it up. Then when the auditing team comes you can concoct an elaborate ruse to totally weasel your way out.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

1. Karl looks like he's using a toy phone from the 90s. 2. Refurb has the right idea. This strip needs more battle bots.

Dustin

I'm half surprised Dustin's shirt doesn't say carp diet to fit the food theme Dustin's been on lately.

On the Fastrack

Then why use Snapchat at all? And where do you click to screencapture?

Safe Havens

So it's like a collage sculpture.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hi and Lois

So what sort of hairstyle is that guy in panel two supposed to have?

Mark Trail

She'll be fine! :downs:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Jessica's going to sneak in tools in the food and presents she sends to Marlin in jail and he'll break out and they'll run away together.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Blue and yellow paint form green when combined. If Mr. Ibis brushed his blue paint over wet yellow paint, it could have produced green.

Slylock Fox

That's a fine... armadillo that Slylock has locked up in his closet. Why is Slylock teaching science at the local grade school? Is that where he picked up Max?

Moose and Molly

Molly has no faith in her husband's stamina. Hmm.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just a small editorial tweak needed.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

City hall condition inspection:
- The mayor's naked statue is in good form
- The marble has bent in some places

I'm sure there's a correct term for "bent" marble in English (since that doesn't seem to be right), but I couldn't find it.

Fok_It

In junior high he was actually called a "glasses head", four-eyes. "Hothead" was actually "crazyhead" which is a little more like a nutcase/daredevil kind of a person. "Meathead" may or may not have been an All in the Family reference.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 10, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's "bending marble" which I assume is the same structural weakness referred to, just in a different tense.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

drat, that's a fine elephant. :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Fun fact: The actor playing Romeo threw the exact same fit when he found out he got the part.

How long has this stupid Romeo & Juliette thing been going on for? Because it feels like forever.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Tiggum posted:

Mark Trail

She'll be fine! :downs:

Why are they shouting?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I don't recall Christopher Robin having jet black hair - this must be his evil twin. Man Kingdom Hearts is weird.

Actually, has he ever shown up in the strip before?

TofuDiva posted:

That last panel is a picture of a pirate's treasure map. You can't convince me otherwise.

The Sezza posted:

Although this is an acceptable alternative possibility.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

The Sezza posted:

Huh. I guess you have some sort of a gift to be able to see that. Sort of... :v:

Jane's World

That's a really well drawn closeup in the second to the last panel. Nice, Paige!

Non Sequitur

Fail. :ughh:

Heavenly Nostrils

:)

Kliban's Cats

Tripod catte. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 4/10/2003

That'll leave a mark, I'll bet.

Zits

:stare: Can't say I blame you one bit, Jeremy.

Kevin & Kell

Gross.

Nemi

:3:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Tiggum posted:

Hi and Lois

Surprisingly un-edited, right down to the Vader t-shirt.

I hope she keeps on storming off forever.

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

What a completely original idea!

Does anyone want to dig up some pictures of the current Dick Tracy creative team? And in Judge Parker, the sight of a tear leaking from behind two opaque white lenses is not as moving as they might expect.

Evil Mastermind posted:

How long has this stupid Romeo & Juliette thing been going on for? Because it feels like forever.

Each Pigborn storyline takes an infinity. That single thorn-tree panel took a millennium by itself. I read that strip, the first in a while, and it seems we're still a long way from the end.
Oh yeah, I'm meant to post comics too. It's impossible to overstate how lazy I am.
Loomus

Berger & Wyse

This one had me at a loss for like a full minute. I think I was thrown by the odd pacing and the weird sight of the fox's gaping maw.

Stephen Collins

Tom Gauld

Tony Benn being a very long-standing left-leaning British MP who recently died. There's also a spate of public art which outsizes common objects, see Giancarlo Neri's The Writer, a giant desk and chair.

CF the 42 joke in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Rather than post a whole fortnight of Momma, here's the best

Rarebit Fiend

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

TofuDiva posted:

Hey look, it's a non-euclidean side-dish from beyond the stars! Suitable to accompany a nice flank of braised shoggoth or cthulhamari.

Cul-de-sac mocks.

The Creeps is a repeat from Tuesday, but I do enjoy that panda dance.

Candorville u little poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

scarycave posted:

Why are they shouting?

Mark Trail can't think without speaking and he is always excited.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Some Guy TT posted:

It's pretty obvious by now that outside of us no one ever looks at that panel anyway.

Not even the person drawing it does.

That was probably your joke, but it's early and I'm tired, so gently caress it.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The Sezza posted:

Huh, I kind of see Santa Claus (or at least a screaming mummy dressed as Santa Claus):

It's like the world's most disgusting Rorschach test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread