Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A ticket came in.

For some reason one of our install media downloads is a multipart zip (cool, a format Windows 7 can't natively handle!) despite both parts being about ~500MB and impossible to email.

I gave a customer instructions to download WinRAR because gently caress it. They then installed that and downloaded two copies of the second half of the archive and renamed one to match the first's name. They then complained it wouldn't unzip, even after I'd unzipped it myself and sent them an uncompressed copy.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
A ticket's been escalated...

Boss just shelled out the cash for Microsoft support because of Lync/Exchange Sean Connery mode.

I'm eager to find out what Microsoft has to say about this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Boss just shelled out the cash for Microsoft support because of Lync/Exchange Sean Connery mode.

It's a feature!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

scroogle nmaps posted:

A ticket came in.

For some reason one of our install media downloads is a multipart zip (cool, a format Windows 7 can't natively handle!) despite both parts being about ~500MB and impossible to email.

I gave a customer instructions to download WinRAR because gently caress it. They then installed that and downloaded two copies of the second half of the archive and renamed one to match the first's name. They then complained it wouldn't unzip, even after I'd unzipped it myself and sent them an uncompressed copy.

:psyduck:

People still use winrar instead of 7z?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
is there a good reason for multi-part zips/rars to still exist in the age of broadband and torrents?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lord Dudeguy posted:

GreenNight posted:

It'sh a feathure!

FTFY.

10-1 odds the first stop is hardware.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Mysterious interference came in.

Last year, at various times of the day, our broadcasts would completely shut off. Long story short, the chief engineer at the time discovered that the culprit was a faulty microwave in the bar/coffee shop next door.

Starting last night at about 9:30, we've been experiencing the same problem, so tomorrow we get to play CSI and investigate which of the billion possible sources of interference could be in the surrounding buildings. Should be a blast :jerkbag:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Entropic posted:

is there a good reason for multi-part zips/rars to still exist in the age of broadband and torrents?

Not all places allow Torrents. I'm guessing they're emailing the files and breaking them down to get around the attachment size restrictions.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Starting last night at about 9:30, we've been experiencing the same problem, so tomorrow we get to play CSI and investigate which of the billion possible sources of interference could be in the surrounding buildings. Should be a blast :jerkbag:

Sounds like a great excuse to spend money on a spectrum analyzer, Fluke has a neat USB adapter + sofware combo for ~$6K that does a pretty huge spectrum upto 2.69GHz.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

deimos posted:

Sounds like a great excuse to spend money on a spectrum analyzer, Fluke has a neat USB adapter + sofware combo for ~$6K that does a pretty huge spectrum upto 2.69GHz.

I have used one of these before and they are pretty slick. To tell you the truth, I have used anything that fluke makes without thinking it was pretty slick.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

deimos posted:

Or you could buy cheaper ones that do the same thing. Ubiquiti's AirMax stuff all has built in spectrum analyzers + software for under $200. Or you can build your own and use open-source software for half the price Ubiquiti charges.

6k is insane.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

FireSight posted:

Or you could buy cheaper ones that do the same thing. Ubiquiti's AirMax stuff all has built in spectrum analyzers + software for under $200. Or you can build your own and use open-source software for half the price Ubiquiti charges.

6k is insane.

They do get pricy, but 6k is on the high end. For example, I see some for 3k on amazon.

Its an issue that is affecting broadcasting. I don't think that's something you do as a pet project.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd look around for a deal on a very old specan. You'll miss out on all the data stuff unless you have a floppy disk drive or can figure out the serial connection but you probably don't need all that.

You probably just want the basic features.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Entropic posted:

Usenet, mainly, but our archives definitely don't follow ~*sc3n3 rul3z*~

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

FireSight posted:

6k is insane.

airView 2.4-2.5GHz, Fluke's scans 700-2.7GHz, don't compare them.

Hell, even Fluke's entry level ($1000) WiFi analyzer does 2.4, 4.9 and 5 GHz.

Don't compare Wi-Fi analysis tools with Spectrum Analyzers.

Hell, Spectrum ES understands cellular network events.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

deimos posted:

People still use winrar instead of 7z?

Why, didn't you know it is the only way into heaven?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fluke tools fit into that weird part of the venn diagram where they are incredibly expensive but at the same time worth every single penny.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Caged posted:

Fluke tools fit into that weird part of the venn diagram where they are incredibly expensive but at the same time worth every single penny.

People flounder at some of the prices for electronic measurement devices but we're not talking a $90k probe for an oscilloscope, we're talking a really good spectrum analyzer for <$7k

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had one of their Net Tools at a previous job, the 2 port one that could go inline with a device and sniff on the packets to see what was happening in speed negotiation, DHCP etc. Saved so much time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Caged posted:

They do come in handy. I spent the better half of yesterday troubleshooting two network drops.

First one was was just dead, no other notes in the ticket. Check the port, sure it dead. No number on the keystone. Throw a tone and check our patch panel, nothing. Check the length, 60ft. Check the length in the drop next room over, 110 ft.

Assholes rearranged this room and plugged their phone/pc into a port that runs to nowhere, then put a tv cabinet infront of the old port. I had never been here before so I had no idea about the original drop. Mentioning that they rearranged the room at the same time poo poo broke didn't seem important. Only reason I was able to find the other drop was by staring in the ceiling trying to trace the ghost wire, and seeing more drops come in the wall.

Second one was just as good. Network drop for a punchclock goes dead. Will show a connection, but no data will flow, no dhcp, nada. Plug in the Fluke and it is showing that 4 wires are shorted. Re-crimp the end (who uses keystone jacks), no dice. Try and tone it to the switch. Able to get a tone at the patch panel, but unplugging that patch still showed the braindead connectivity at the drop. Check the distance, 40ft. Check the distance of the nearest drop. 80ft. Start moving furniture within a 40 foot radius. Find a dumb 3com switch patched in to a wall drop (no keystone either), then another wall drop plugged in. The lazy rear end in a top hat that wired this punchclock didn't want to run all the way back to the patch panel and improvised.

I think it will be faster for me to burn down most of these buildings than try and fix them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've never had to wait this long to get a hard drive RMA'd, I feel bad for those guys. I was surprised this 6410 was even still in warranty, but it expires in like three weeks :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

deimos posted:

People flounder at some of the prices for electronic measurement devices but we're not talking a $90k probe for an oscilloscope, we're talking a really good spectrum analyzer for <$7k

Also suggesting that somebody "just build one" is kind of batshit.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Depending on the frequency range you need there was a defcon talk last year where the presenter talked about the things she was able to do with a cheap tv tuner USB dongle that had a software defined radio in it. She even showed off some very crude van-eck phreaking with it.

http://youtu.be/Ttqi4GOhcW4

All the software is open source if you want a side project to work on.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Also suggesting that somebody "just build one" is kind of batshit.

I didn't say they SHOULD, I just said you -can-.

I mean, if he's getting enough interference that it's shutting down his broadcast entirely, ANY spectrum analysis tool that can see the frequency he's broadcasting on should pick up the interference, and a directional receiver should let you narrow down the location of the broadcast. Granted, I don't know what he's broadcasting or how big a deal it is if his broadcast has issues, I'm mostly used to dealing with small WISPs who didn't panic over service being flaky for a couple days while they find the source.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Depending on the frequency range you need there was a defcon talk last year where the presenter talked about the things she was able to do with a cheap tv tuner USB dongle that had a software defined radio in it. She even showed off some very crude van-eck phreaking with it.

http://youtu.be/Ttqi4GOhcW4

All the software is open source if you want a side project to work on.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Triarchy TSA5G35 which I got cheap on ebay (well $200), but I would not recommend trying to use it to diagnose an intermittent network issue on the spot mostly because it's a simple analyzer without any sort of "intelligence" behind it. You'd have to spend as much time using it as learning what the gently caress to interpret from it.

Mind you programmable radios (ABAD1DEA's example) are also not spectrum analyzers, but for finding interference they might be useful since most likely he knows the frequency he's getting interfered with.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I just read through the dick trauma saga and I just wanted to say that I'm glad it turned out to be a happy ending for you :sun:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

vodkat posted:

I just read through the dick trauma saga and I just wanted to say that I'm glad it turned out to be a happy ending for you :sun:

This post could mean something totally different out of context.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

I have used one of these before and they are pretty slick. To tell you the truth, I have used anything that fluke makes without thinking it was pretty slick.

Fluke is less than a mile from my house, if only they had a need for a PM i'd be set.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
A new GPO came in.

That will disable the network adapters on any machine that's reporting as Windows XP, then reboot the workstation.

:dance:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CommanderApaul posted:

A new GPO came in.

That will disable the network adapters on any machine that's reporting as Windows XP, then reboot the workstation.

A series of increasingly urgent tickets cry out before being suddenly silenced.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uh, can you export and post that GPO? That would be handy.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

GreenNight posted:

Uh, can you export and post that GPO? That would be handy.

I'll try to grab it from one of the system administrators, I'm a lowly desktop support guy so I just got the email that it's happening. And smiled like the Grinch when I read the email.

Edit: Apparently the email is full of poo poo. They moved all the non-exempted XP machines (1700 of them!) to a new OU in AD and then have a push setup for that OU that changes the desktop background to "THIS COMPUTER IS NOT ALLOWED TO ACCESS THE NETWORK, PLEASE CALL THE HELPDESK TO HAVE IT UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 7", disables/removes the network adapter, and reboots the machine after 5 minutes. I got all excited for no good reason. :(

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 10, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

anthonypants posted:

I've never had to wait this long to get a hard drive RMA'd, I feel bad for those guys. I was surprised this 6410 was even still in warranty, but it expires in like three weeks :v:

If that's Client ProSupport: yeah, they've been knee deep in people in queue for a long while. Unfortunate for some of my friends still in that department. :smith:

Content:
I received a ticket for someone to was told to submit a ticket to us to replace an Fiberchannel card. Didn't know if they needed a tech or not. That was 3 weeks ago. I'm still waiting for scheduled down time so I can even send the part but there's still nothing yet.

On another note: I've had a guy call in three times in the past three months. Every single time he got routed to me just coincidentally.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "5.1*"

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 10, 2014

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a call came in.

So account lead sold the client a new spam filter and set it up, according to the ticket setting it up anyways. I got an email from the client saying one of their customers is being blocked by it. So I email the account lead asking him for the info to log into the spam filter and whitelist the client. He came back to me today with "I have no idea how to do anything with the software. You know as much as I do"

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Old news for most of you, but fixing a ticket while you're on the can is a fantastic feeling. That is all.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in.

So account lead sold the client a new spam filter and set it up, according to the ticket setting it up anyways. I got an email from the client saying one of their customers is being blocked by it. So I email the account lead asking him for the info to log into the spam filter and whitelist the client. He came back to me today with "I have no idea how to do anything with the software. You know as much as I do"

And is he saying "You need to get on this?"

I see "I don't need to know a product to sell it" is yet another layer of incompetence there.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Lightning Jim posted:

And is he saying "You need to get on this?"

I see "I don't need to know a product to sell it" is yet another layer of incompetence there.

Not yet, he'll probably wait a day or two as I try to find out who has credentials to modify the stupid thing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommanderApaul posted:

A new GPO came in.

This would be easy to do for free with PDQ Inventory / Deploy. You would just set up a dynamic collection that found all XP machines, then a scheduled task that ran every however many minutes that did whatever you wanted in terms of locking them out / changing background / etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Does anyone here use Proofpoint enterprise for spam filtering?

I've got a user with like 900 addresses in his block list (he's a VP so his email address is all over the web), which actually redirects everything to the quarantine. This renders his quarantine basically useless - there are way too many junk messages to sift through if he is looking for legit mail that might have gotten filtered on accident.

Is there a way to block/delete those messages rather than clutter up his quarantine? I can't find anything.

Additionally, what a great UI feature - you can unselect all messages, but not select all! :rolleyes:

• Locked thread