Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

And this is why the FA cup is by no means in the bag for Wenger and the boys. Don't gently caress it up this time, you fuckers.

I hope Ramsey scores a Traore-esque OG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

I could have included United, City, and Chelsea as well but left them out for obvious reasons.

Dalglish's Liverpool have a lot more in common with Arsenal than those three who from 2006 have had much better squads than Arsenal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

Dalglish's Liverpool have a lot more in common with Arsenal than those three who from 2006 have had much better squads than Arsenal.

Liverpool won the Champions League in 2005, it's a bit of a stretch to throw them in with Brum, Pompey, and Wigan.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

Liverpool won the Champions League in 2005, it's a bit of a stretch to throw them in with Brum, Pompey, and Wigan.

Dalglish's squad didn't. If City won the cup in 2005 you could list them too.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

not not luvd posted:

Would you honestly rather win the Carling Cup and get relegated / face relegation every single season than be Arsenal? It's like people are refusing to belief that chance is a factor here.

I would take relegation if it meant winning a trophy

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

Dalglish's squad didn't. If City won the cup in 2005 you could list them too.

I think the crux of luvd's argument was "big club spending" and Liverpool were still spending big, it was just on utter dross.

Either way, I'm not going to drag this along any further, it's all a bit silly.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Claiming that Arsenal can't compete financially is deluded.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

irlZaphod posted:

Couldn't* but thanks for progressing the conversation.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Especially after they paid the 2nd highest fee ever for a player in the Premier League.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Wenger is a great manager and I'd rather see him retire than to give up his ideals and start throwing money around.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

Especially after they paid the 2nd highest fee ever for a player in the Premier League.

In that same window City, Chelsea and Spurs spent like 250m combined.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

So three other clubs paid double what Arsenal paid for one player and brought in multiple players instead, cool.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

So three other clubs paid double what Arsenal paid for one player and brought in multiple players instead, cool.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

That Arsenal aren't really competing financially by buying ONE player over both windows, even if that player is 40+m

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

That Arsenal aren't really competing financially by buying ONE player over both windows, even if that player is 40+m

They would have(should have) bought Higuain for about 35m but Wenger is a big dumb idiot.

Arsenal need to compete financially if they want to win poo poo, that's what I think is so frustrating for Arsenal fans. Spunking 20m on some good but not world class dude and buying three African boys from Ligue 2 isn't going to win you trophies.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Shrapnig posted:

Arsenal need to compete financially if they want to win poo poo, that's what I think is so frustrating for Arsenal fans. Spunking 20m on some good but not world class dude and buying three African boys from Ligue 2 isn't going to win you trophies.

Agreed

Also I was wrong: Spurs, Chelsea and City all spent over 100m each on players this year.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

arsenal arent very good at producing youth players

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ravel posted:

Wow all those clubs combined spent more than a single club? :eyepop:

Ravel posted:

Just because they're not competing financially doesn't mean they can't. Spending £40m on Ozil isn't something any club could do. No, they don't have the level of financial backing that City/Chelsea/PSG do, but they're not broke. Those clubs aren't spending £500m/£1bn every transfer window, they just spent big initially to get their squads up to a level where they could compete at the top of the Premier League and in Europe. Arsenal didn't really need that step up because they had a quality, title-winning squad. The problem (one of them, at least) was that the quality players left and weren't properly replaced.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Shrapnig posted:

They would have(should have) bought Higuain for about 35m but Wenger is a big dumb idiot.

Also because Napoli would have outbid them still

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jota posted:

Also because Napoli would have outbid them still

Better to be outbid than just give up on the transfer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
50 years from now people will remember Wenger for the Invincibles, but they'll also wonder how he could win the league in 2004 and then nothing after 2005. If he built a team that could go undefeated, why did he stop being able to win anything a year later?

Arsenal fans will remember him for rebuilding the club in his own image, and to be fair he did revolutionize the way they did things, but will that really be enough?

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Ravel posted:

Agreed

Also I was wrong: Spurs, Chelsea and City all spent over 100m each on players this year.

Well Bale's sale "spurred" on that buying spree and at least Chelsea brought in ~56m from Mata and De Bruyne.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

50 years from now people will remember Wenger for the Invincibles, but they'll also wonder how he could win the league in 2004 and then nothing after 2005. If he built a team that could go undefeated, why did he stop being able to win anything a year later?

Arsenal fans will remember him for rebuilding the club in his own image, and to be fair he did revolutionize the way they did things, but will that really be enough?

Enough for what?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

rats off to ya posted:

Well Bale's sale "spurred" on that buying spree and at least Chelsea brought in ~56m from Mata and De Bruyne.

Im still surprised chelsea managed to get so much cash for De Bruyne

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Enough for what?

To not tarnish his legacy.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

rats off to ya posted:

nice pun

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

vyelkin posted:

You have to be kidding me. This forum is dire sometimes.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

To not tarnish his legacy.

Obviously it's somewhat tarnished I don't really get that the hell this conversation is about at this point.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

Wenger is a great manager and I'd rather see him retire than to give up his ideals and start throwing money around.

This, but the opposite.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its weird how fixated people are on Wenger not spending as much money as loving Chelsea. Aside from very recently it's been understandable why Arsenal weren't constantly breaking the bank and its not like Wenger is perfect and there isn't plenty of room for criticizing him but its always "LMAO he didn't spend literally billions of dollars so small time"

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think in 2064 the invincibles will refer to the hardy race of mutants that survived the nuclear winter of 2014/15

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Stinky Pit posted:

Its weird how fixated people are on Wenger not spending as much money as loving Chelsea. Aside from very recently it's been understandable why Arsenal weren't constantly breaking the bank and its not like Wenger is perfect and there isn't plenty of room for criticizing him but its always "LMAO he didn't spend literally billions of dollars so small time"

Lol just lol if your team hasn't beaten 2/3 teams with unlimited money while you had comparatively a lot less!!!!

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

irlZaphod posted:

Wow all those clubs combined spent more than a single club? :eyepop:

Just because they're not competing financially doesn't mean they can't. Spending £40m on Ozil isn't something any club could do. No, they don't have the level of financial backing that City/Chelsea/PSG do, but they're not broke. Those clubs aren't spending £500m/£1bn every transfer window, they just spent big initially to get their squads up to a level where they could compete at the top of the Premier League and in Europe. Arsenal didn't really need that step up because they had a quality, title-winning squad. The problem (one of them, at least) was that the quality players left and weren't properly replaced.

All three clubs spent 100m each. My point is exactly that - they can compete financially with at least Liverpool or Spurs or maybe even United, but they're not. And spending 40m in total in one year is not evidence that they did compete financially this year. Even United, Liverpool and Everton spent 60m, 50m and 30m respectively.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

not not luvd posted:

You have to be kidding me. This forum is dire sometimes.

It's a legitimate question luvd. Wenger's legacy to non-Arsenal fans will be the Invincibles but it'll also be the long trophy drought. Arsenal fans will remember him rebuilding the club, but other people probably won't because rebuilding the club didn't lead to a long series of trophies the way it did with a manager like Shankly or Ferguson.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I suppose it's because the invincibles were really expensive and then wenger was like Get this, I can win without these guys too! and then signally failed to do so

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

vyelkin posted:

It's a legitimate question luvd. Wenger's legacy to non-Arsenal fans will be the Invincibles but it'll also be the long trophy drought. Arsenal fans will remember him rebuilding the club, but other people probably won't because rebuilding the club didn't lead to a long series of trophies the way it did with a manager like Shankly or Ferguson.

I'm glad posting is still a thing in the future.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Arsene isn't stupid. If they miss out on top four, he'll spend a lot in the summer. He seems better suited to a director of football role since he seems to have trouble with man-management and tactics.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
If they miss out on fourth, who'll want to come?

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

thanks i've been sitting on that a while.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The thing I don't get is why it was necessary to rebuild the club, they should have got some Arabs in like everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think time will spin his youth project into his 'vanity project' where he thought he new best and stuck at it way too long and cost Arsenal any chance of the league for a decade. When in fact it was more to do with the fact they had no loving money because they built a massive stadium and didnt hold out for the huge naming rights they could have got.

• Locked thread