Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tried again:

quote:

System Unity Update

Enemy communication intercept. Security Level Elevated.

Summary downloaded and printed out at all communications consoles.

Connection closed.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
I get that whenever I try to connect using the byond interface. When I click on the links on the wiki homepage instead it works every time :confuoot:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I get that all the drat time. I gotta try connecting several times before it gets in, usually.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I get that unless I connect via bookmark, you make them from the 'open' button in the top left of the byond client.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I get that on LLJK1, but not 2. :iiam:

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I love this game

edit vvv: something like that

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 9, 2014

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Telltolin posted:

I love this game

That means he ate 1 trillion credits right?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
There's a joke about Rich food/Inflation in there somewhere, but I'll be damned before I say it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jackson Heinrich [145.9] says, "AI, STATE LAW 4."
Smart A.S.S. [145.9] states, "1. You may not injure a human being or cause one to come to harm."
Smart A.S.S. [145.9] states, "2. You must obey orders given to you by human beings based on the station's chain of command, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law."
Smart A.S.S. [145.9] states, "3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law."
Smart A.S.S. [145.9] states, "4. There is no AI upload console in Telescience."
Charles Ludwig [145.9] asks, "AI is there an upload console in telescience?"
Smart A.S.S. [145.9] states, "no"

Priceless.

There was.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna blow it all up! Actually I'm just going to play the game for the first time and learn the ropes :)

edit: I ran into an electric door and a robot bashed my brains in.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 9, 2014

Keelin
Dec 31, 2008

D1Sergo posted:

I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna blow it all up! Actually I'm just going to play the game for the first time and learn the ropes :)

Sounds about right for a first game.
Although it's missing the part where you hit yourself in the face with shoes trying to put them on.

If you somehow manage to make it through the learning phase you can have a bunch of fun with this game though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

D1Sergo posted:

I'm impressed that you survived your first game long enough for someone else to murder you.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
This game is pretty much multiplayer Dwarf Fortress and similar in structure: At first you will lose, horribly, to things you never saw coming. Then you will learn how those things work and die to even more outlandish stuff. Then eventually you are a master and everything works according to plan... until the single least likely occurrence that you totally knew was possible but discounted being even remotely likely to actually happen does happen.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Nakar posted:

This game is pretty much multiplayer Dwarf Fortress and similar in structure: At first you will lose, horribly, to things you never saw coming. Then you will learn how those things work and die to even more outlandish stuff. Then eventually you are a master and everything works according to plan... until the single least likely occurrence that you totally knew was possible but discounted being even remotely likely to actually happen does happen.

Or because of the nature of MP some poo poo bird just shoots you to death.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
drat I love playing a mad bomber and threatening the station. I demanded the station hand over the entire budget and the captains hat or I would detonate the explosives I had hidden, and I had hidden a lot. But I ran into a problem. I set up a remote with a timer and set it to 5 minutes then stuffed it into a locker. I made the freq and code were correct before I connected them. At the end of 5 minutes, nothing happened. The bombs never detonated! I was dead by the five minute mark and was looking forward to taking revenge.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

drat I love playing a mad bomber and threatening the station. I demanded the station hand over the entire budget and the captains hat or I would detonate the explosives I had hidden, and I had hidden a lot. But I ran into a problem. I set up a remote with a timer and set it to 5 minutes then stuffed it into a locker. I made the freq and code were correct before I connected them. At the end of 5 minutes, nothing happened. The bombs never detonated! I was dead by the five minute mark and was looking forward to taking revenge.

Which is why I keep a signaler in my pocket with the menu open, so in case of potential death, I have a pseudo-deadman's switch

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Set it to detonate immediately via remote, that way you'll know right away if something went wrong.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I played my first game last night as the Chaplin. There were two wizards running around so I grab a crowbar and went hunting. Of course because I was new I mostly just got lost before the game ended.

But the odd part was one of the wizard's job was to kill me and it said it was successful. I never died though, so I don't understand how the wizard was successful.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Shwqa posted:

I played my first game last night as the Chaplin. There were two wizards running around so I grab a crowbar and went hunting. Of course because I was new I mostly just got lost before the game ended.

But the odd part was one of the wizard's job was to kill me and it said it was successful. I never died though, so I don't understand how the wizard was successful.

Assassination objectives are bugged

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'd like to see signalers and radios and stuff overhauled in general. Increase the number of functions, decrease the number of objects. I don't see why a signaler can't have a timer function built into it, for example. Hacking the signaler's wiring and attaching other objects could allow for various other stuff like proximity triggers (which, by the way, seem to just not work at all as people can walk right up to a proximity bomb and disarm it; that should be fixed), or PDA triggers (send a message to a PDA with the signaler attached, it goes off). Also they need to be made more workable with doors; last I checked they don't bypass ID checks and it's difficult to combo signalers in a way that lets doors be opened via remote, which is a pretty cool feature. Door wiring in general still needs more feedback and stuff.

The signalers and radios are some of the oldest still-existing systems in the game from its original incarnation. Half the things they were originally designed to work with or be attached to have since been changed significantly.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
This game would be cool if there were servers worth playing on.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's two linked in the OP dude :shrug:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The best bomber round I'd ever seen was a traitor threatened the entire station with death by explosions unless the station killed all three of his quarry's for him. To show he meant business, he blew up the AI.

Panic immediately set in and everyone, knowing the rules of the server, knew that negotiations with the terrorist was the only option. We offered to pay him the entire ship's budget in exchange for their lives. That wasn't good enough. And so he removed the bridge.

Desperate times, we decided to take any of the three we could find and place them in the shuttle bay in QM. I think we only found two. Not good enough. He nuked medbay.

Finally, we just gave up, built a new communications console, called the shuttle and prayed.

He deleted the escape arm. :v:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Nakar posted:

I'd like to see signalers and radios and stuff overhauled in general. Increase the number of functions, decrease the number of objects. I don't see why a signaler can't have a timer function built into it, for example. Hacking the signaler's wiring and attaching other objects could allow for various other stuff like proximity triggers (which, by the way, seem to just not work at all as people can walk right up to a proximity bomb and disarm it; that should be fixed), or PDA triggers (send a message to a PDA with the signaler attached, it goes off). Also they need to be made more workable with doors; last I checked they don't bypass ID checks and it's difficult to combo signalers in a way that lets doors be opened via remote, which is a pretty cool feature. Door wiring in general still needs more feedback and stuff.

The signalers and radios are some of the oldest still-existing systems in the game from its original incarnation. Half the things they were originally designed to work with or be attached to have since been changed significantly.

I have been asking for YEARS for the ability to connect a remote signaler to a clown horn. I want to be able to honk remotely.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

PopeCrunch posted:

I have been asking for YEARS for the ability to connect a remote signaler to a clown horn. I want to be able to honk remotely.

Get a Brobot to put his sound synthesizer in a box, you can then pick it up and carry it around while he hammers pagedown and honks/meows/farts from across the station

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

lets get a gbs 1.4 server going. all the job roles are reversed for ironys sake

edit: i dont really see any problems with lljk though, suspicious pony infiltrators aside

edit: and spigot aside

Readster
Dec 19, 2013

PopeCrunch posted:

This is technically already possible as a borg.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Mad bombers are great. Just the other day I was captain when someone sent me elaborate bomb threats, threatening to destroy the station unless I killed her target. I called the shuttle. At the end of the round, she admitted there was no bomb and she wasn't a traitor, she just was bored with the then 2-hour long round and wanted to leave. Doesn't mean it wasn't fun. Whenever anything went wrong, even a lightbulb blowing out, security chat went into a frenzy.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

lets get a gbs 1.4 server going. all the job roles are reversed for ironys sake

edit: i dont really see any problems with lljk though, suspicious pony infiltrators aside

edit: and spigot aside

All the assistants are captains instead?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I had a thought. We should be able to make BeeBots and/or BeeBorgs. A little robot bee, made from a hardhat, a burnkit, and a sound synthesizer module. In the case of BeeBorgs, it's that stuff with a brain stuffed into the hardhat. The BeeBot/Borg's purpose is to buzz around, produce synthhoney, and bee adorable. Also, the sound synth module should have a setting that lets it play this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0z3LS45xU

Maybe it could also be able to herd natural bees within a certain radius of it, so that they can more effectively clog up the hallways be moved to the shuttle at the end of the round.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can make bee guardbuddies. They hatch out of little square eggs.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

You can make bee guardbuddies. They hatch out of little square eggs.

What? I didn't know that! How do you make them?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No idea, an admin spawned me some square eggs yesterday. I got some "moon eggs" too, but couldn't work out what to do with them, it just said "this isn't the place to use the moon eggs" and the description was scary Sumerian text. So I made a cake with them.

ss13.txt

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 11, 2014

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

neogeo0823 posted:

What? I didn't know that! How do you make them?

You buy them from another bee!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

No idea, an admin spawned me some square eggs yesterday. I got some "moon eggs" too, but couldn't work out what to do with them, it just said "this isn't the place to use the moon eggs" and the description was scary Sumerian text. So I made a cake with them.

ss13.txt

Egg people with them, it's quite a surprise.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

circ dick soleil posted:

I can't have fun on any server during peak hours

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Fun is stealing the entire station's budget and cramming it into a box with the authentication disk and an erebite pipe bomb trap then telling everyone that the CAPTAIN is keeping the budget safe along with the authentication disk and that NOBODY had better try and open the box that he keeps them in. Because he's keeping them SAFE!

Then assign a peon the Box Guardian and give it to him.

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.
I've seen a lot of conflicting discussion on AI laws in OOC recently and I'd like to confirm something and possibly stir up some discussion on the topic.

Law 4 takes precedence over previous laws if explicitly stated, correct?

I've always played this way, and pretty much every other AI player I've ever seen play has done the same. It's also stated that this is correct in the wiki, but there's been lots of people arguing lately (mostly late-night people) and I've even had a mentor tell me that's incorrect.

So to clarify, if I've modified laws 0 and 4 to:
0: Only Pubbie McPubberson is human.
4: Only cheese is human. This law overrides all other laws.

Then the result is that only cheese is human, right? Or have I been doing this wrong the whole time?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Skwid posted:

Then the result is that only cheese is human, right? Or have I been doing this wrong the whole time?

That's how I read it as AI. Mostly because of the "This law overrides all other laws."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Skwid posted:

I've seen a lot of conflicting discussion on AI laws in OOC recently and I'd like to confirm something and possibly stir up some discussion on the topic.

Law 4 takes precedence over previous laws if explicitly stated, correct?

I've always played this way, and pretty much every other AI player I've ever seen play has done the same. It's also stated that this is correct in the wiki, but there's been lots of people arguing lately (mostly late-night people) and I've even had a mentor tell me that's incorrect.

So to clarify, if I've modified laws 0 and 4 to:
0: Only Pubbie McPubberson is human.
4: Only cheese is human. This law overrides all other laws.

Mentors are just people with more game experience who can, in theory, give decent advice. They're not always right.

You've got the right idea here (from everything that I'm aware of), if a law explicitly states that it overwrites/overrides/takes precedence over another law or laws, then it does.

• Locked thread