Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don't think the SBR Universe is the one that you see at the end of part 6. I think it's just a complete continuity reboot. Araki said part 4 and part 8 are in "parallel worlds" in this ASB interview.
Going by Made in Heaven's effect, the only people that wouldn't exist in the new world would be the ones Pucci killed with his stand, and those characters were still around in some different incarnation (Irene/Anakiss/etc.). So in theory all the other Joestars would still exist, right?

Well, if you look at the Joestar family tree, all the other Joestars do still exist (outside Giorno since Dio never became a vampire and lived to become a dad) up until you get to Holly and then it diverges. I don't think it'll be super relevant if the SBR universe is the same one as the one at the end of part 6 since Araki just rebooted because he wanted to tell a new story, but I think it's kind of neat if they're connected somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doc V posted:

It's not really an "if you have X willpower you can use a stand" thing - the more powerful the stand, the more willpower you need to keep it under control. Remember when Jolyne tried on Star Platinum's stand disc and realized that she couldn't control it at all? Achtung Baby doesn't exactly seem powerful, so it would probably be pretty easy to control, and most people who had their stands from birth would likely initially manifest much weaker (and therefore easier to handle) versions of their stand. We did see the child version of Chariot in the Alessi arc and it appeared to be pretty much unable to actually fight back against an adult.

Star Platinum was hard for Jotaro to control at first too. He said he kept hurting people by accident, but it never seems to be an issue again. Avdol probably trained him offscreen.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ketchupface posted:

Things that can handle a stand and therefore are stronger-willed than Holy Joestar:

A turtle, two trees, a rat, a dog, three babies, an orangutan, a ton of plankton, a dead cat and a bird.

Hey those two rats came the closest to killing Jotaro out of any other stand user.

Spacedad posted:

Well, it would be nice to have a stand that's big enough to throw a huge party on.

I don't see how anyone sensible with that power would ever want to do anything other than float around on the ocean and chill out though. Dio would basically HAVE to mind control me to get me to want to battle any other stand users. I mean, I have a loving cruise ship stand I could just ride around on forever not bothering anyone else.

Figures that perfectly chill power would go to an rear end in a top hat ape. :mad:

That orangutan was probably only evil because of DIO. If he showed up in part IV, he would have just been that chill orangutan with the party boat stand.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 6, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broseph Brostar posted:

Hey those two rats came the closest to killing Jotaro out of any other stand user.

Other than the one that puts him in a coma and later kills him?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Pomp posted:

Other than the one that puts him in a coma and later kills him?

That didn't count, Jotaro never got the chance to fight back.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whitesnake and Made in Heaven were stupid as poo poo in how strong they were, that's not even a fair comparison.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Whitesnake and Made in Heaven were stupid as poo poo in how strong they were, that's not even a fair comparison.

I actually kind of liked the idea behind Whitesnake. It was super weak in a stand-up fight, so Pucci had to get creative and be sneaky to use its powers effectively. Jotaro lost that one because Pucci straight-up got the drop on him.

Made in Heaven was bullshit though, yeah

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dio is a vain motherfucker that would have filled your Facebook feed full of selfies every day.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Maremidon posted:

They should authorize one of those spin-off light novels about her. You could do some fun stuff with invisibility and the power to turn other things invisible.
She's also a Joestar, so she needs a Zeppeli BFF who will inevitably die for her sake, just like the rest of her fellow Joestars. Of course, Jorge didn't know anyone named Zeppeli to my knowledge, but...

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Pomp posted:

Dio is a vain motherfucker that would have filled your Facebook feed full of selfies every day.

Makes me wonder...

Gratuitous Dio selfies, of course.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
A demo for the English version of ASB is gonna be on PSN tomorrow.

EDIT: Just tried it out. You can play Arcade Mode with either Jotaro, Caesar, or PB Dio. You go through 3 battles, the first two against the characters you didn't pick, and the third against a "boss". Jotaro's boss is Gyro, Caesar has Wham, and Dio has Abdul.

The translations are decent to good. They took some liberties such as with context-heavy lines from the manga. Not a big deal imo. We still have the looming threat of "Eiffel" and "Zipper Man" to worry about,

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 8, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How long has there been a banner ad?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxl6SZf19ec

It's a mashup between this and Quad City DJs. It's pretty good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn: Re-reading through it, I feel that Steel Ball Run is probably as good as Araki is going to get at conveying emotions through his story. As Johnny's thoughts turn to being grateful for Gyro's company throughout the horse race, I couldn't help but get all choked up. I had already read through it once, but... goddamn. :cry:

boredsatellite posted:

And nobody really cares because SBR was the best thing ever. I want that animated in my lifetime

I really hope that the anime adaptation of Stardust Crusaders is successful enough to convince sponsors, Shueisha and whoever else with money to burn on fabulous that an anime of Part 7 needs to be a reality.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Rereading SBR always gets me choked. That was a really well told story

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boredsatellite posted:

Rereading SBR always gets me choked. That was a really well told story

Every part has been my favorite part as I read through Jojo, short of Part 4, when I only liked in retrospect - Araki really improves as a writer and an artist with each arc. He's clearly trying really hard to improve his craft. I really enjoy the bit in SBR when you can clearly see him experimenting with his current style. Suddenly, there's a bunch of close ups that a really different from anything else in the comic, and the style of the close ups slowly turns into the style of the entire manga.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
You forgot to say "Except for 5"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Five owns, Bruno owns. Arrivederci!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

yes but how does king crimson work

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One day we will have a competent translation of part five, and then the long nightmare in the court of the crimson king will be over.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Part five is great because all of passione are cool and it has the best battle cries.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I liked 5 a lot and didn't really like 6 very much at all.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mr. Maltose posted:

One day we will have a competent translation of part five, and then the long nightmare in the court of the crimson king will be over.

Speaking of, did they ever finish the updated translations of part 4? The link in the OP only has up to Vol. 40. Duwang is funny and all, but it gets really grating after a few volumes.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They maybe possibly might be starting back up sometime eventually. Fan Translation is a fickle field.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Pomp posted:

Every part has been my favorite part as I read through Jojo, short of Part 4, when I only liked in retrospect - Araki really improves as a writer and an artist with each arc. He's clearly trying really hard to improve his craft. I really enjoy the bit in SBR when you can clearly see him experimenting with his current style. Suddenly, there's a bunch of close ups that a really different from anything else in the comic, and the style of the close ups slowly turns into the style of the entire manga.

The series changed publication from a weekly format to a monthly one mid-SBR and that shows.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I hate the monthly format, every chapter feels like a weekly one that's just stretched out by unnecessary close-ups of people having no emotion (or if he wants to show them having emotion, sweating).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just don't like it cus the pacing ground to a halt. Every part before SBR took like three to four years to get through. Part 7 took, well, seven years. I love SBR and was fine with how long it was, it just took twice as long for readers to get it. And it makes me worry we're still four or five years away from getting mysteries revealed in Jojolion.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxl6SZf19ec

It's a mashup between this and Quad City DJs. It's pretty good.

Oh my god.
"You goddamn baka." People need to see this.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I get the feeling we're at least nearing the halfway point of Jojolion. I think SBR took as long as it did because it was originally planned as a weekly series but then partway through switched to monthly. Jojolion is still probably going to be running until 2017-18, but we're starting to get answers and fight actual antagonists.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
And it only took three years :yum:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kabanaw posted:

I get the feeling we're at least nearing the halfway point of Jojolion. I think SBR took as long as it did because it was originally planned as a weekly series but then partway through switched to monthly. Jojolion is still probably going to be running until 2017-18, but we're starting to get answers and fight actual antagonists.

There is no way this is only halfway through the series.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

At most this is a third. A third sounds right actually

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Aurora posted:

There is no way this is only halfway through the series.

Have we even seen a real antagonist outside of the architect?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Have we even seen a real antagonist outside of the architect?

I think the architect is gonna be like akira was in part four and move on once we actually see the big antagonist.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

For all we know he could just be the Angelo of Jojolion.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Joushuu is the real antagonist.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is it okay for me to skip part 1?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You forgot to say "Except for 5"

No, I loved five. Great cast and some really kinetic fights. A lot of stand powers were kind of a bad fit for the medium, and thus confusing, but I really look forward to the anime adaption.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Herr Tog posted:

Is it okay for me to skip part 1?

Dude its like, 50 chapters. Just power through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
From now on whenever someone asks if they can skip any part, everyone should just say "No way, there's so many important things, you'll be missing so much".

• Locked thread