Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Sagacity posted:

However, the Ursa still isn't that great for actual production use from an ergonomic point of view, so I'm not sure how much of the industry will start using it, especially when there is so much competition that is actually tried and tested. A lower rental (or purchase) price is worth nothing when the images you record look like rear end or you can't properly operate it.

Ergonomically it looks like a major improvement though, at least for low budget indie work. Put it on sticks, an applebox on each side and one person has access to the video controls and the other has access to the audio controls. The monitor is large enough that a director can glance at it from a few feet away and not need to set up a separate monitor on a stand with power. As for image problems, I'm not up to speed on the 4K sensor issues, but isn't a design that enables user-replaceable sensors a pretty huge step in solving these problems going forward?

But I definitely wouldn't buy one of these until there have been months of tests done. Aaaaaand those CFast 2.0 prices have to come back to reality for any of this to matter. $200 per minute of RAW recording capacity is loopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

As for image problems, I'm not up to speed on the 4K sensor issues

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=23587'

In essence, the sensor on BMPC 4K is absolutely busted due to poor quality control and lack of black calibration leading to huge amounts of fixed pattern noise even in daylight. Blackmagic hasn't said anything concrete about whether it's going to get fixed in a future firmware - which has lead to the Blackmagic forums users to go pretty much apeshit for the past few days. URSA uses the same sensor.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know anything about the sensor on the AJA Cion? The nofilmschool interview (which had weirdly terrible sound) suggested that it's a sensor "others had problems with" so I'm wondering if it's the same as the BMPC?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's the same sensor.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Just curious, what stuff do you guys use to project gobos/fake light shapes?

I saw this light blaster thing this week for stills. http://petapixel.com/2013/07/10/light-blaster-uses-a-speedlight-and-lens-to-project-slides-onto-your-photos/

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

the_lion posted:

Just curious, what stuff do you guys use to project gobos/fake light shapes?

I saw this light blaster thing this week for stills. http://petapixel.com/2013/07/10/light-blaster-uses-a-speedlight-and-lens-to-project-slides-onto-your-photos/

ETC Source4 Lekos/ellipsoidals since I work in a performing arts venue, though I've also used Dedolights on a few film sets.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I use gobos to project a logo onto the wall for events. Don't think I've ever used one while lighting something for video.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

ETC Source4 Lekos/ellipsoidals since I work in a performing arts venue, though I've also used Dedolights on a few film sets.

1st AD posted:

I use gobos to project a logo onto the wall for events. Don't think I've ever used one while lighting something for video.

Gotcha, those look interesting.
I guess they're a niche thing unless you're in theatre. There's not much on the web about this stuff.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Slap a tree branch on a c-stand, stick it in front of a light. Boom, branchaloris.

Basically that and venetian blinds are all I've seriously used on set. That light blaster looks pretty cool, though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is anyone actually fatigued by the specs wars all these camera manufacturers seem to be getting into this year? Like everybody is talking about the GH4 like it's awesome because of 4k and 10-bit out and FRAME RATES, but are they not looking at the footage and realizing it kind of looks like rear end?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

Is anyone actually fatigued by the specs wars all these camera manufacturers seem to be getting into this year? Like everybody is talking about the GH4 like it's awesome because of 4k and 10-bit out and FRAME RATES, but are they not looking at the footage and realizing it kind of looks like rear end?

I'm not a first adopter or anything so it doesn't bother me that much. I suspect 4k will take a while to grow into great+affordable anyway.

Having not bothered watching the GH4 stuff, what specifically is wrong? The rendering or is it shutter type stuff?

That said, I've seen so many gimbal/cameras/sliders that they all blend together now. I swear when Movi came out, there were nothing similar but now there's a good 5-6 companies doing similar at different prices.

So yeah, nothing made me poo poo my pants-just more stuff coming out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The colors look bad and video-y, and there isn't a log mode available so you can only go so far in tweaking the look in Resolve.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
I'm inclined to agree. Somehow GH4 footage reminds me a lot of my good old Canon HV30. Ah, the memories :3:

I decided to postpone my switch to 4K at least for a year or two. Right now there aren't really any players on the prosumer field that would really satisfy me as far as the image goes. BMPC is outright broken, A7S has murderous rolling shutter and GH4 just looks like HDV imho.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Meh, unless you're going DCI out, 4K is just super overkill.

Downsampling, the ability to crop in to reframe, and greater fine line detail resolution is nice...but the drawbacks for 99% of non union content (workflow, storage, PL glass) make it a hassle. If you are doing large screen projection then of course it's the way to go. But let's not forget 2K projection is still the norm for most theaters.

I'd be happier with a solid global shutter 2.5k camera with modular mounts and a modular sensor so you can retain all your aks while benefiting from more sensitive sensors down the line.

Sinking over 10k into a camera seems insane right now. I guess you can kind of say that every year though..

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I couldn't agree more about the GH4. I really want to like it and would LOVE a 96 fps camera but I just think it's a step backwards in color science. I'm spending money this year buying rig stuff that will last me through the next 5 camera bodies.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The only thing I'm probably going to buy is (maybe) an Atomos Shogun, since I need a new monitor and an SDI recorder. Having the ability to record 4k ProRes or DNG should future proof me.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The shogun's about the only thing I'd consider from this year, too. Black Magic would be great if they would fix the god drat cameras instead of cranking another two out every year.

Edit: oh and there was nothing from Canon, right? Seems strange, their lineup's kinda lacking.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't think they've ever announced anything at NAB.

Also, their lineup isn't really lacking. They have models of cameras at every price point and their C-series cameras are popular.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
NAB isn't the only show with announcements, just the big one.

edit: I didn't notice your first sentence above, you basically said just that.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

1st AD posted:

I don't think they've ever announced anything at NAB.

Also, their lineup isn't really lacking. They have models of cameras at every price point and their C-series cameras are popular.

I don't think anything to really rival the current position of the C cameras was released, though Sony could make a killing with a camcorder version of the A7s. A faster processor would correct the rolling shutter issues, and they'll have some useful E mount stuff coming out that mostly makes sense for video (like the powered zoom).

I was seriously considering the GH4 for a while, but at this point I'm not sure anymore. The only decent lens I have right now is a Sigma 18-35 on a (borrowed) T3i, so I'm not really deeply committed to any kind of glass/system. There's also no Metabones active EF speedbooster, so the fact my Sigma is an EF lens is a bit of a liability. I'm also not in love with the MFT lenses/system, and I'm looking for a camera I can use for stills as well.

The A7s seems like a good idea even just for use in 1080p mode and later on in the future as a 4K B-cam, but if it costs 2500 then it's really not great relative to the GH4. Then there's the question of a slew of new FF lenses to think about, and questions about the A7s colour. It'd make a nice main stills camera though. . .

Meanwhile the 7D Mk2 will probably not be any good for video relative to its price. All I wanted was an S35/APS-C version one of these cameras, but all the hoops you have to jump through to get them working is a pain in the rear end. Makes me just want to give in and get a C100 (can't afford it), or just save and settle for a 70D or 7D. As usual, waiting is the only smart move.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 18, 2014

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

IanTheM posted:

The A7s seems like a good idea even just for use in 1080p mode and later on in the future as a 4K B-cam, but if it costs 2500 then it's really not great relative to the GH4. Then there's the question of a slew of new FF lenses to think about, and questions about the A7s colour. It'd make a nice main stills camera though. . .

Would it really make a good stills camera though? Only 12 megapixel.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The D700 was pretty good despite a similar MP count.

I wouldn't get a Sony for stills though.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

1st AD posted:

The D700 was pretty good despite a similar MP count.

I wouldn't get a Sony for stills though.

A 12 MP camera that is super sensitive and pretty noiseless isn't a bad deal at all. A couple less options when cropping, but nobody will ever see the photos at more than 1 MP most of the time anyway, and 12 MP for a print would be overkill 90% of the time.

Yeah I agree though. Sony colours aren't where they could be (even for video) and I don't love how the A7 falls in my hands. But trying to get one camera to do it all means compromise, and getting the exact stills camera I want isn't a priority or I'd be going Fuji.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

BeavisNuke posted:

Would it really make a good stills camera though? Only 12 megapixel.

12 MP is more than what most anyone would ever use, even professionals. I still rock a T2i for personal use and almost never raise it above the lowest resolution setting (5MP).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That's not really true at all especially once you get into jobs for agencies, at least from my experience as a DIT. I saw a lot of medium format shoots especially when the photos were being used in large print displays.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I was looking for some advice on what camera I should pick. I'm going to be doing some entry level sketch comedy and need a versatile camera that isn't going to devour my already limited budget. I can give your more information if it would help narrow the search. Thanks in advance everyone!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ughh, I think I need to buy a shoulder rig or figure something out besides my current handheld method of tucking a tripod under my arm. I'd been hoping that something interesting/affordable would come out at NAB this year, but nothing quite fits my budget. Originally I was thinking I'd get into a lighter system with IS lens I can use unsupported, either GH4+12-35 or A7S/R + 24-70, or just buy a 24-120 for the D800 and deal with the extra weight. But It sounds like both the GH4 and A series have some potential downfalls though and I kindof hate the 24-120.

Does anyone have a shoulder rig they like? Ideally it'd be something I could very quickly remove the camera from to go handheld. Anything I do with my own gear is going to be run and gun with minimal support so the more streamlined the better.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Whatever you get, add a Manfrotto quick release plate so that you can easily pull the camera off the rig.

Personally I don't like using shoulder rigs, as I am liable to bump into poo poo while moving around corners.

I'm considering getting the Blackmagic Pocket and sticking a pistol grip and EVF on it for when I need to shoot handheld, because the BMCC kind of sucks once you get the camera and a battery on the rig. Also I recently killed myself doing 10 hours of steadicam shooting on a BMCC, so maybe I could get away with a Pocket/Merlin.

Anyone own one and can comment on it?

1st AD fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 21, 2014

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

1st AD posted:

Also I recently killed myself doing 10 hours of steadicam shooting on a BMCC, so maybe I could get away with a Pocket/Merlin.

Was this on account of steadicam operation itself or the added weight of the BMCC? Just curious, I've yet to have to use my BMCC on my steadicam.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It was the weight of my rig - I had a v-mount battery and a 16-35 mounted on it, it was heavier than I was personally used to running with.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Ughh, I think I need to buy a shoulder rig or figure something out besides my current handheld method of tucking a tripod under my arm. I'd been hoping that something interesting/affordable would come out at NAB this year, but nothing quite fits my budget. Originally I was thinking I'd get into a lighter system with IS lens I can use unsupported, either GH4+12-35 or A7S/R + 24-70, or just buy a 24-120 for the D800 and deal with the extra weight. But It sounds like both the GH4 and A series have some potential downfalls though and I kindof hate the 24-120.

Does anyone have a shoulder rig they like? Ideally it'd be something I could very quickly remove the camera from to go handheld. Anything I do with my own gear is going to be run and gun with minimal support so the more streamlined the better.

I like Shape's rig, but the only one I've used extensively is RedRock's. It's decent but kinda pricey. You could build a shoulder mount pretty easily with cheap stuff from Fotga and all those other Chinese companies. That'll come with its own issues, of course(lovely rod clamps, 15mm LWS spacing is off, etc.)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

You can get a spider brace, they're like $60 or $80. I added a quick release tripod plate to mine so I can go from tripod to shoulder brace with the quickness

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I'm currently buying gear towards generally mirroring this gentleman's rig: https://vimeo.com/87444006

I think the atlas camera support rig is really the deciding factor in being able to do all-day shooting with a shoulder rig that is that weighty. It's sort of a copy of the expensive EasyRigs they use in TV shooting. I'll report back once I've tested the setup.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

leekster posted:

I was looking for some advice on what camera I should pick. I'm going to be doing some entry level sketch comedy and need a versatile camera that isn't going to devour my already limited budget. I can give your more information if it would help narrow the search. Thanks in advance everyone!

I'm going to piggyback on this question and add: what kind of sound and lighting equipment would you add to the cheap camera for the purpose of filming sketch?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Impermanent posted:

I'm going to piggyback on this question and add: what kind of sound and lighting equipment would you add to the cheap camera for the purpose of filming sketch?

I would probably get a Rebel t2i or t3i or a handy cam that can film in 24 fps. As far as sound, a bunch of Rode SmartLavs ($60) hooked to everyone's iPhones. Lighting? I really don't know of cheap lighting that can light a group of actors and really look good. China balls with photo floods inside perhaps.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

BeavisNuke posted:

I would probably get a Rebel t2i or t3i or a handy cam that can film in 24 fps. As far as sound, a bunch of Rode SmartLavs ($60) hooked to everyone's iPhones. Lighting? I really don't know of cheap lighting that can light a group of actors and really look good. China balls with photo floods inside perhaps.

Thanks! Those SmartLavs look great - we've already inherited some Samsung Go Mics for sound, but personal mics is exactly what we were missing.

As for lighting - I understand that lighting might be a thing we work with over time, but you actually hit me at about half what I expected to spend on the t3i. Is there something or some collection of lighting equipment in the $500 to $1000 range?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Impermanent posted:

Thanks! Those SmartLavs look great - we've already inherited some Samsung Go Mics for sound, but personal mics is exactly what we were missing.

As for lighting - I understand that lighting might be a thing we work with over time, but you actually hit me at about half what I expected to spend on the t3i. Is there something or some collection of lighting equipment in the $500 to $1000 range?

Are you filming in a controlled studio environment or just someone's house? If you're in a place with daylight coming through the windows I would probably recommend a few of these along with some sturdy light stands: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699030-REG/Impact_OCTACOOL_9_Octacool_9_Fluorescent_Light_Kit.html
But the light from those won't really reach across a room to light all the actors, so you'll need them decently close on each side.

I use this tungsten kit (yellow light that doesn't match daylight unless you put a gel on it) and am very happy with it, but I want to get the soft box attachment for the omni: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/285925-REG/Lowel_DV_901LBZ_DV_Creator_1_Kit.html

garney
Jul 21, 2007
So i'm shooting with the Black Magic 4k Production camera in a few weeks, never shot with it before but the director want's to use it as he (we, really) are bored with using DSLR's and it seems like a nice way to break in 4K shooting. Any of you guys used it before? Any tips? From what i've heard it's poo poo in low light, but hopefully we'll have enough lights to combat any of those situations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Be prepared to deal with fixed pattern noise. Shoot at ISO 400 to minimize this and try to not have a ton of stuff in the bottom 10% of your waveform. Shoot in log mode if you want to grade it at all. Shoot it at 5600k and daylight balanced lights if you can since all the tungsten settings look like crap (and raw isn't available). An IR cut filter can help if you have tungsten only lights. You can't format the SSD in camera and will need a computer that can read/write Mac HFS to offload and format the drive.

Shoot with a non-EF lens if you can; the camera will do auto-iris whenever it powers on and it usually stops you down to the minimum aperture to prevent blown highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garney
Jul 21, 2007

1st AD posted:

Be prepared to deal with fixed pattern noise. Shoot at ISO 400 to minimize this and try to not have a ton of stuff in the bottom 10% of your waveform. Shoot in log mode if you want to grade it at all. Shoot it at 5600k and daylight balanced lights if you can since all the tungsten settings look like crap (and raw isn't available). An IR cut filter can help if you have tungsten only lights. You can't format the SSD in camera and will need a computer that can read/write Mac HFS to offload and format the drive.

Shoot with a non-EF lens if you can; the camera will do auto-iris whenever it powers on and it usually stops you down to the minimum aperture to prevent blown highlights.

The only 'modes' I can find on the camera are the 1080 and 4K options, how do I select log mode? And I think all of our lenses are Canon Prime EF's so we'll just have to never power down!