Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I'll have to do some G.O.O.N. cleanup. There seems to be a few people who don't play anymore but, since pretty much everybody is a commander, I guess I'll have to pm them or something.

That's quite a bit of :effort: to be honest, but freeing some space for people who want to play should be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Welp, that's always fun. Decided to hop into the Grey Widow event before bed. Four crit cascades later and one of my characters is dead, another at 300 HP, the third at 1k with two Punisher countdown tiles ticking on the board. Oh his Spidey had seven blue AP despite starting the turn with no blue matches on the board.

Been a while since I had one of those.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The crabs! AAAAA THE CRABS!

Depriest
Jan 9, 2002
Grand Master B

retro sexual posted:

Hey - what's your ingame name? Might have approved you just after Tibeerius but not sure.

It's ATF_Renton. Let me know if I need to pay for another spot, I've got like 1200ish HP right now.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm out of town until Thursday, and Steam doesn't seem to believe I'm the same person, even when I log in with the same account, so I won't be any use to Pizza Dog for a while. Sorry, dudes.

I think you need to turn on the Steam synch by going into properties for MPQ, then Updates, then check the box under steam cloud. But it might do something funky if you haven't synched first from your main computer.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BGrifter posted:

Welp, that's always fun. Decided to hop into the Grey Widow event before bed. Four crit cascades later and one of my characters is dead, another at 300 HP, the third at 1k with two Punisher countdown tiles ticking on the board. Oh his Spidey had seven blue AP despite starting the turn with no blue matches on the board.

Been a while since I had one of those.

Yeah, this tournament has shown me just how important having a healer/stealer on the team is. I think I had a grand total of five matches until my team was dead and I was out of health packs.

Going against Thor/Wolverine is a nightmare. You focus on killing Thor and you get pelted with strike tiles/slash. You focus on killing Wolverine and Thor takes out your entire team with a Call The Storm.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Just opened up two slots in Super Goons. Sitting at 3 of 5 right now. We dont do terrible for a low effort alliance. Usually at least get the HP prize. Any goons are welcome.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I just realized I don't need the Hawkeye blue and there's no way in hell I can get up to the Psylocke reward tiers so I can stop playing this loving garbage pvp event :banjo:

Feels good man

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

trucutru posted:

I guess I'll have to do some G.O.O.N. cleanup. There seems to be a few people who don't play anymore but, since pretty much everybody is a commander, I guess I'll have to pm them or something.

That's quite a bit of :effort: to be honest, but freeing some space for people who want to play should be ok.

All I wanted was a black Psylocke cover :( . drat you fellow G.O.O.N.s!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
GoonStyle is losing to S.H.E.I.L.D :smith:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm trying, drat it!

530, best I could do!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Hotshot and Lightning Rounds begin.
Ragnarok is the prize for Hotshot; that's been a while outside of the villain lightning rounds, huh.

Time to tank MMR!

old chubbyknees
Jul 10, 2006
Who bez?

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Just opened up two slots in Super Goons. Sitting at 3 of 5 right now. We dont do terrible for a low effort alliance. Usually at least get the HP prize. Any goons are welcome.

Applied as ebob. I'm no whale superstar but I'm alright by virtue of having started early.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
loving Ragnarok as the prize. I think I'mma just get up to 300 in this one cause screw putting in effort for Ragnarok.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Largepotato posted:

GoonStyle is losing to S.H.E.I.L.D :smith:

I got a top 10 finish with a ~630 score thanks to a nice slack bracket. Haven't seen the alliance prize come through yet.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

loving Ragnarok as the prize. I think I'mma just get up to 300 in this one cause screw putting in effort for Ragnarok.

Yeah. Feels good not to give a poo poo.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Can someone give me an idiot's guide to how and why you want to "tank your MMR"?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
McDongles did a good write up in our alliance chat. He should write it up here and put it in the OP.

Or I can transcribe it here. I still want it in the OP!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Syrinxx posted:

Can someone give me an idiot's guide to how and why you want to "tank your MMR"?

If your MMR (Match Making Rating) is lower then you fight less powerful opponents. In both PvP and PvE. As for how, you tank it by losing fights in PvP events. So dust off that bagman and get to work.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
Basically, if you're trying to place highly in several consecutive PVP tournaments (500+, top 25 or so), your MMR rating that decides who you get matched with will start getting excessively high and start matching you even at the beginning of a PVP tournament against people with way better teams. So for me in the last tournament I was getting matched right out of the gate against people with maxed spidey, patch, high or maxed GBW while I am still mostly maxed-2 star and one mid-level 3-star.

So that's the why of needing to tank your MMR. Your MMR gets lowered every time someone beats you. The easiest and fastest way to tank is to join a lightning round as soon as it starts (every even numbered hour, EST time). At this point there are non-player seed teams until enough people beat them up. Cycle through at least one of the options until you get 2 level 2-3 one star heroes and the featured hero at 23. Then take a high level team and beat up the seed teams on the other nodes until you have 75-100 points (skip high level seed teams, you only have a couple minutes until real people start taking up the slots). Then take a really weak team that can still beat the last weak node that you have left, something like the donor hero and 2 crappy unleveled heroes. If you don't have any crappy or unleveled heroes due to space constraints, just take the weakest heroes you have. Because of the short round nature of LRs, unless you have a really annoying team you will still have plenty of people that beat you up.

If you missed the seed team part of the LRs it's no big deal. Just cycle teams until you find an obvious tank team (donor hero, bagman, hawkeye is what I tend to use), and beat that with the weakest team you have.

If you do 3-4 LRs this way, you should have a pretty low MMR and will face teams in the next tournament that you care about that will generally be weaker than you until 500-600 points.

You can also try this in the non-LR tournaments, but generally people will be more wary of attacking due to the fear of retaliations.

trucutru posted:

If your MMR (Match Making Rating) is lower then you fight less powerful opponents. In both PvP and PvE. As for how, you tank it by losing fights in PvP events. So dust off that bagman and get to work.

That's the much more succinct version of what I was trying to say.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Edit: ^ got it, thanks ^

trucutru posted:

So the idea is to tank with venom/bagman for a day or two then put in the big guns and cruise to an easy finish?

DrowningHarvey
Mar 24, 2013

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Applied as DrowningHarvey.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.

Syrinxx posted:

Edit: ^ got it, thanks ^

So the idea is to tank with venom/bagman for a day or two then put in the big guns and cruise to an easy finish?

Yeah, the only tricky thing is that you have to win at least one round with your crappy team to be visible for other players.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I'm trying to tank my MMR right now and it's actually not working: I entered the Human Torch tourney and used my normal team to get ~135 points, and then used a match against a CPU seed opponent to swap in my tanking unit: Human Torch at 18 (black & green), Psylocke at 20, and Black Panther at 15.

I'm up 13 points after being attacked 3 times. :shepface:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
...aaaaaaand the latest funbalance makes the lower-right PvP slot no longer Jungle environment. No more Thorny Rose, Storm nerfed to hell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gynovore posted:

...aaaaaaand the latest funbalance makes the lower-right PvP slot no longer Jungle environment. No more Thorny Rose, Storm nerfed to hell.

Jungle's lower-left, isn't it? Lower right's city or desert, depending on whether they hate us that event.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bruceski posted:

Jungle's lower-left, isn't it? Lower right's city or desert, depending on whether they hate us that event.

Oops yeah. Doesn't matter, it's not anywhere now.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

That looks specific to Hotshot, and it has desert on the lower right so who cares about jungle? Lightning rounds are still jungle left city right.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
Haha, the lightning round 3-star tokens no longer give a guaranteed 3-star hero.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

slightlyslow posted:

Haha, the lightning round 3-star tokens no longer give a guaranteed 3-star hero.

See, there a now more 3-star heroes so it makes sense to make it more difficult to get. Now let me spend 3800 HP in a 10 pack that is also not giving you a guaranteed 3-star hero.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Depriest posted:

It's ATF_Renton. Let me know if I need to pay for another spot, I've got like 1200ish HP right now.

Oh good, I did accept you before. Go ahead and expand if you like - just made you commander

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Is there some trick to lightning rounds? Even if I had unlimited health packs, I don't see how it's possible to avoid gettig points quickly enough, let alone getting crabbed down. I lost 130 points just now in the span of a single match, no more than 3 minutes.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Well then, lightning rounds are worthless now except for tanking purposes...

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Well then, lightning rounds are worthless now except for tanking purposes...

A nice little pile of ISO, a standard token, and tanking, basically.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Infinite Karma posted:

Is there some trick to lightning rounds? Even if I had unlimited health packs, I don't see how it's possible to avoid gettig points quickly enough, let alone getting crabbed down. I lost 130 points just now in the span of a single match, no more than 3 minutes.

The trick is to spend $$$. This trick also works very well in other areas of the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Smack people in the face til they drop a token, sit back and sleep.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Applied to GoonStyle as Virulent

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

trucutru posted:

The trick is to spend $$$. This trick also works very well in other areas of the game.

I'm not sure it does - this game doesn't feel like 'pay to win', mainly because their pricing model is so ridiculous.

If you could guarantee getting a character for say, $2, and max level them for another $10 then people would be doing it all the time, and to be competitive in events everyone else would have to do the same. But the current prices are literally 20 times higher than that, so no-one really does.

Currently the only thing really worth spending money on is a few bucks here and there for more roster slots, and the mmr system also makes it possible for free players to win.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GTO posted:

I'm not sure it does - this game doesn't feel like 'pay to win', mainly because their pricing model is so ridiculous.

If you could guarantee getting a character for say, $2, and max level them for another $10 then people would be doing it all the time, and to be competitive in events everyone else would have to do the same. But the current prices are literally 20 times higher than that, so no-one really does.

Currently the only thing really worth spending money on is a few bucks here and there for more roster slots, and the mmr system also makes it possible for free players to win.

So, basically you're saying that since it is insanely expensive to pay to win then it is not actual pay to win? Tell that to the 8+ cover human torches I have seen already.
People do drop the 400 bucks that it costs to max a character. And then spend plenty on shields and consumables to win tourneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah I saw a ridiculous Human Torch right off the bat in the new tournament, couldn't believe it.