Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Cake Attack posted:

I think he meant he hasn't played a conventional JPRG since FF9.

Exactly. It's been a long while and I can't remember/haven't experienced "JRPG tropes" I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's something that's actually worth keeping in mind that set damage attacks will always inflict that regardless of anything (besides Defaulting, I believe). This works on enemies with maxed defense, like Chaugmar, as well as during the Merchant ability Low Leverage, which halves all damage (and costs).

Naturally I abused the hell out of that last interaction later on. :v:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Veskit posted:

Exactly. It's been a long while and I can't remember/haven't experienced "JRPG tropes" I guess.

I think I play FF8 as my last rpg, don't remember but its been awhile too. Theres always a boss thats vulnerable then invulnerable and you have to watch their color or shape or whatever. Plus the game has the brave/default mechanic which plays into that super hard so I was waiting for that type of fight to appear. I did wipe a couple times trying physical vs magic because I thought the color meant what type of damage to use and kept throwing different things out there.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It took a couple tries to figure out what the gently caress was going on to begin with. Then it took some tries trying to get in the attacks before he did his burst. Then i tried hasting people but always hosed up the timing, and died a shitload. Then I just did it patiently and used anges specifically to only ever heal and took it slowly and it worked out.

He was a dick to fight against is all. Fun fight though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I just guarded and boosted all my special attacks against him and had everyone unleash a special attack. Killed him in one turn when he changed and I had to do that because he kept using that special move that did enough damage to ko everyone in one turn.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So I started New Game + on Hard Mode and decided to reset my levels and job levels.

Of course, I realized my mistake in resetting job levels considering that they are the highest factor in determining damage, but still I pressed on.

But now I have a Level 10 Monk (ablinked to someone with a maxed out Monk) with Natural Talent equipped, and his attacks are doing 500 damage while he's at Level 40 and in Chapter 3.

What's the deal?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I started New Game + on Hard Mode and decided to reset my levels and job levels.

Of course, I realized my mistake in resetting job levels considering that they are the highest factor in determining damage, but still I pressed on.

But now I have a Level 10 Monk (ablinked to someone with a maxed out Monk) with Natural Talent equipped, and his attacks are doing 500 damage while he's at Level 40 and in Chapter 3.

What's the deal?

Natural Talent only works if you have nothing equipped.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm aware. I had nothing equipped.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What's the deal?

Is your attack stat in the 500s or so?

I wouldn't be using a Monk for Natural Talent anyway. You get more innate strength with Pirate + Knuckle Lore, put all the nifty skills that come with the class.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is the halberd you get from the Valkyrie boss just really bad or is Valkyrie's damage output poo poo? I'm beginning to think maybe I should just switch Agnes back to being a Monk since her damage output's been kinda trash lately.

Or a Ranger.

I really don't want to have to use a Ranger.

Edit: For the record, she was a Thief before this and was great for a while but then started dropping off big time, especially compared to Two-Handed Spell Fencer Ringabel (though, I suppose that might just be indicative of Spell Fencer being awesome.)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

alcharagia posted:

Is the halberd you get from the Valkyrie boss just really bad or is Valkyrie's damage output poo poo? I'm beginning to think maybe I should just switch Agnes back to being a Monk since her damage output's been kinda trash lately.

Or a Ranger.

Edit: For the record, she was a Thief before this and was great for a while but then started dropping off big time, especially compared to Two-Handed Spell Fencer Ringabel (though, I suppose that might just be indicative of Spell Fencer being awesome.)

Valkaries are good when you do damage to multiple targets. They get bonuses to it. Otherwise it's lovely output.

ALSO :wtf: NINJAS ARE SO GOD drat BROKEN :wtf: It's god drat ff11 all over again, except without shiheis yay!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

alcharagia posted:

Valkyrie really needs some job levels in it before it really gets going.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

alcharagia posted:

Or a Ranger.

Two things to keep in mind: A) A job's damage output is going to be shite until it catches up in Job Levels to the job you're comparing it to, and B) The 25% damage boost for hitting multiple targets is not insignificant.

Personally, I found a lot of use for Valkyrie thanks to Crescent Moon and Judgement. They can wear armor well, can use Jumps to avoid attacks, and have the ability to take MP damage instead of HP damage, so all-in-all they have quite excellent survivability. Also, most of their skills use BP, so they're great in dungeons since you don't have to worry about MP consumption. I combined it with Spell Fencer to hit enemy weakpoints or drain HP, and really pile on the damage.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I did literally just get the job so I suppose I was a bit hasty in my assumption. Once I get to the point where JP starts flowing like a river (I am told this occurs later) I'll probably give it a further shot but for now I just bit the bullet and switched her over to Ranger, which is working perfectly well even if it looks mega dumb.

Also: Holy poo poo everything about the Red Mage. Why is this a person that exists.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Well, my town is fully upgraded and I'm still not fully done with Chapter 3. Guess I can finally turn my 3DS off and forget about this game altogether now. :v:

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Veskit posted:

Valkaries are good when you do damage to multiple targets. They get bonuses to it. Otherwise it's lovely output.

ALSO :wtf: NINJAS ARE SO GOD drat BROKEN :wtf: It's god drat ff11 all over again, except without shiheis yay!

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" The immortal words of Red Green were never truer than with this game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Valkyrie can be a powerhouse in chapter 2 when you unlock it. Especially if you level up the weapon shop and buy the spear (I think it's the Lu Bu spear).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

Valkyrie can be a powerhouse in chapter 2 when you unlock it. Especially if you level up the weapon shop and buy the spear (I think it's the Lu Bu spear).

Yeah, Valk and Ranger carried me a long way into Chapter 3.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So let me see if I've got this right: (as regards endings) Now that I'm in Chapter 5, once I break a crystal, I'll be taken to the first ending, and if I just keep going, I'll get the other ending? That's how this works, right?

Edit: Also, I can't seem for the life of me to get Rusalka's Aqua Regia: I keep getting him to hit Ringabel, who is my Vampire, but it keeps just not happening.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 12, 2014

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

alcharagia posted:

So let me see if I've got this right: (as regards endings) Now that I'm in Chapter 5, once I break a crystal, I'll be taken to the first ending, and if I just keep going, I'll get the other ending? That's how this works, right?

I just did this last night. You do your thing, go through all of it, save, then get dumped back before it all happened. Posters were right that there is no reason not to see both.

Still not at the true one though because Chapter 7 seems to have upped the ante on sidequest fights.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

notZaar posted:

There's a Lu Bu spear? :swoon:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just finished the game. Was great fun and overall super solid. I wish they had switched how you get the endings since the "twist" one was a way cooler concept and totally out of the box for a pretty on-rails RPG.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yeah I've been in this boss fight for like half an hour and I just cannot learn Aqua Regia for the life of me. It keeps hitting him but it keeps not happening. I've checked the list multiple times and it's not in there, and he's not under any debilitating status ailment. Do I have to somehow be immune to the defense drop? I don't understand what the problem could be.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Yeah I've been in this boss fight for like half an hour and I just cannot learn Aqua Regia for the life of me. It keeps hitting him but it keeps not happening. I've checked the list multiple times and it's not in there, and he's not under any debilitating status ailment. Do I have to somehow be immune to the defense drop? I don't understand what the problem could be.

Is Ringabel's job Vampire or is his secondary ability Vampire? If it's the latter, he needs Genome Drain in order to learn monster abilities.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DTaeKim posted:

Is Ringabel's job Vampire or is his secondary ability Vampire? If it's the latter, he needs Genome Drain in order to learn monster abilities.

If that fly suit and cravat he's wearing is any indication he is most decidedly in the Vampire job right now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Do you nullify or absorb the element? I don't remember if that matters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I had a similar problem learning Paralyzing Pollen once.

Best I can tell you is to perhaps give everyone the Genome Drain ability or try again the next time you face Rusalka.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I'm on chapter 8, how many more times do I have to awaken the crystals? This poo poo stopped being fun the second time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Hommando posted:

I'm on chapter 8, how many more times do I have to awaken the crystals? This poo poo stopped being fun the second time.
That's the last time. But do the sidequests, Chapter 7 and 8 have awesome ones!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hommando posted:

They point out that Airy's wings were at "5" in the first world, so, since Chapter 8 is the fifth time you do it, it is the last.

It's very overkill, but the battles make up for it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nutranurse posted:

There's a Lu Bu spear? :swoon:
It's pretty nice in chapter 2.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I was lazy and waited until chapter 8 before trying to get the vampire skill. I have made a big mistake.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Ugh, I am not looking forward to Vampire. Blue Mage-like classes are inevitably really useful, but getting all the skills is soooo tedious, and I can't live with half-assing it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just finished Chapter 5.

I can't wait to do it all over again. :shepface:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ohhhh man, I hope you aren't tired of it yet.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
It is tedious but if you turn off random encounters then just enjoy the increasingly interesting side fights.

Chapter 6 is the first to start breaking the game in it's favor and it is a lot of fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is really no reason to have random encounters on after a certain point. The only reason you should is to grind for JP and EXP, that's about it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Orgia Carnaval posted:

There is really no reason to have random encounters on after a certain point. The only reason you should is to grind for JP and EXP, that's about it.

When I get really annoyed with then I'll just set the encounters down to -50%. I absolutely love that we can change the random battle rate, it's a feature that I never knew I needed, but now that I've used it I doubt I'll ever be able to play another JRPG without missing the ability to tune the game to play however I want it to play at that moment.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've tried searching around the internet and haven't come up with too much for answers.

I've just awakened all the crystals and reached the "Point of no return"

But I'm missing a few jobs still, Is there a way to come back after entering the point of no return?

I'm also trying to Do the sidequest to unlock the Vampire Job. All of the creatures you have to fight are a pain, Is there some kind of strategy I'm totally missing? I equip the proper Resist accessory items before the fight, but it hardly seems to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

why is the dragon in the thread cave such a fucker when the next boss is super easy

• Locked thread