Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

uPen posted:

Ball bearings were invented in the 20th century so Machine Parts factories are modeling something else. :spergin:

Could be pulleys, belts, gears, cranks etc. Also proper cutting tools for lathes and stuff probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If steampunk has taught me anything, then that everything run of cogs in the Victorian age.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Chinese had waterwheels and piston-bellows to power blast furnaces in the first century. By the 11th century they were using black coal instead of wood to heat them.

They were still in use way in the 20th century. So yes I BELIEVE IN COG MAN.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Clearly, it's all about Artisans handcrafting 22nm chips.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The image I have in my head when it comes to Artisans making Machine Parts is that guy Charles Babbage approached to make so-and-so many nails with so-and-so specifications for his Difference Engine and the guy replying that it's going to take him years to fashion that many by hand.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

GrossMurpel posted:

Clearly, it's all about Artisans handcrafting 22nm chips.

No, you idiot, that's Electric Gear. Machine Parts are 22nm abacuses.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
http://vicult.wix.com/ultimate

Fair goons (and Paradox devs that read the thread), you have likely already heard about Victoria Wolfe, AKA Victoria II Ultimate. Here is your chance to try what may well be the ultimate V2 mod for yourselves.

I'm going to have to do a run in this mod for my thread, aren't I?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Patter Song posted:

Fair goons (and Paradox devs that read the thread), you have likely already heard about Victoria Wolfe, AKA Victoria II Ultimate. Here is your chance to try what may well be the ultimate V2 mod for yourselves.

Why do you do this to yourself, I mean we love you for it but why.

E: How broken and offensive to all concerned is the 9/11 event chain do you think.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Patter Song posted:

I didn't know it was so close to release! And yes.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Any Paradox mod with Latin in the name is usually worth at least a chuckle, but that looks magnificent.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I wonder since you need to build a factory to get nukes, does that mean capitalist countries can end up with an accidental nuclear arsenal?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I look forward to discovering how absurd treasuries would get after hundreds of years.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If it actually does have 7 billion people worth of POPs in the modern scenario, won't that run like total rear end?

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If it actually does have 7 billion people worth of POPs in the modern scenario, won't that run like total rear end?

Not completely sure on this, but I *think* that would depend on if he was adding a bunch of new pops, rather than simply increasing the size of existing ones without changing the number of separate pops. The former would cause far more performance issues if I understand the system correctly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm sure he'll optimize it in a sane and historically accurate way.

Probably by making Africa uninhabited.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Well its a given that a mod of this type will run like rear end and given they are adding pop types for Reformation to future space colonisation scenarios I don't have much hope for any decent performance but miracles can happen.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Eh, it's workable, just homogenize all the pops in large regions.

For example, every province in Europe could be populated exclusively by generic Christians, whose culture is Future Yugoslav Republic of Macedonian. :unsmigghh:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah maybe if you set some insane assimilation into targets like Asian american or British Indian.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Eh, it's workable, just homogenize all the pops in large regions.

For example, every province in Europe could be populated exclusively by generic Christians, whose culture is Future Yugoslav Republic of Macedonian. :unsmigghh:

As a Macedonian state, we get several bonuses.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I like the "Future Scenario." Every nation with the slightest ethnic/cultural differences gets balkanized, leading to independent nations like Northern Ireland, Wales, Brittany, and Quebec. Europe gets hit the hardest by the balkanization because of a massive international terrorist group composed of every ethno-cultural minority on the continent working together. The Middle East goes through massive amounts of turmoil that end with an independent Kurdistan, the nations of Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria fusing together into Mesopotamia, Syria going even more to poo poo, and Iran not being mentioned once. The moon is permanently colonized within the next five years and Mars within ten.

This is insane, please LP it, at least for an update or two. You are the most qualified, after all, in case you thought Steppe Wolfe somehow wasn't going to haunt you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I like how the bulk of this mod is the 20th century and there seems to be only one new tech for each category.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

I like how the bulk of this mod is the 20th century and there seems to be only one new tech for each category.

Two new techs, one pre-period and one post-period. So, on V2's Tier 0 to Tier 6 standard tech tree, the country in 1604 is at Tier -1 and the country in 2100 is at Tier 7.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Steppe Victoria posted:

Mega Disasters

Mega Disasters have only an extremely small chance of happening. But if they do you're sure to notice. Mega disasters include super volcanoes, mega tsunamis, asteroid collisions and massive earthquakes.

:getin:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Looking at the background of the mod's website, I spy a confederate flag on the right!

My dream of Communist Confederates in Space will sill be realized! :fella:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Two new techs, one pre-period and one post-period. So, on V2's Tier 0 to Tier 6 standard tech tree, the country in 1604 is at Tier -1 and the country in 2100 is at Tier 7.

Oh wow, so he just completely ignores the green revolution then?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I like the "Future Scenario." Every nation with the slightest ethnic/cultural differences gets balkanized, leading to independent nations like Northern Ireland, Wales, Brittany, and Quebec. Europe gets hit the hardest by the balkanization because of a massive international terrorist group composed of every ethno-cultural minority on the continent working together. The Middle East goes through massive amounts of turmoil that end with an independent Kurdistan, the nations of Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria fusing together into Mesopotamia, Syria going even more to poo poo, and Iran not being mentioned once. The moon is permanently colonized within the next five years and Mars within ten.

Ghost-written by Tom Clancy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also you have to launch nukes via decision... for each individual province. So god help you if China or Russia attacks.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

How long has the countdown been on "incoming"? I want to try this out for myself. I can't imagine it will last longer than 10 years until a CTD, but I just want to start as Quebec and just see how much of the world I can conquer before people finally start giving a poo poo :allears:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

DrProsek posted:

How long has the countdown been on "incoming"? I want to try this out for myself. I can't imagine it will last longer than 10 years until a CTD, but I just want to start as Quebec and just see how much of the world I can conquer before people finally start giving a poo poo :allears:

I checked the moddb forum apparently the author didn't start uploading it on media fire till the countdown ended.

It's currently at 50% on media fire so it'll probably take an hour. Unless he also waits for moddb to approve it instead of just sharing the link on the official site.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I really want to try the ww2 scenario with the Vicky combat/event system.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I checked the moddb forum apparently the author didn't start uploading it on media fire till the countdown ended.

It's currently at 50% on media fire so it'll probably take an hour. Unless he also waits for moddb to approve it instead of just sharing the link on the official site.

Hahaha, that's just beautiful. Having a countdown to release something you already have done sitting on your hard drive seemed dumb to me but whatever, it's not like having a release date and time is a new development in video games. But having a concrete time for the release and then missing it because you hadn't considered your gigantic mod might take a while to upload is just the perfect minor mishap for Victoria Wolfe.

E: Ah, found his explanation. Apparently he's uploading the mod simultaneously to 2 or 3 different sites :v:.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 10, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:siren: Download is now live :frogsiren:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fh6j4eeeni91i1p/Victoria+Ultimate.rar

Let the schadenfreude begin

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Surprisingly it all loads and so far is working, though I'm only one day in.

January 1, 2023: The USA declares war on Afghanistan with the stated war goal of Enforce Democracy!

Guess round one wasn't enough :v:

e; January 23, 2023: Northern Ireland rescinds female suffrage.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

Surprisingly it all loads and so far is working, though I'm only one day in.

January 1, 2023: The USA declares war on Afghanistan with the stated war goal of Enforce Democracy!

Guess round one wasn't enough :v:

How is the running speed? My expectation is that a mod that elaborate would run worse than MEIOU & T does in EU4.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Patter Song posted:

How is the running speed? My expectation is that a mod that elaborate would run worse than MEIOU & T does in EU4.

He hasn't touched the populations at all, as far as I can see, so running speed currently is about the same as vanilla as far as I can tell.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mister Adequate posted:

You seem to have loaded up a game of SuperPower 2 by mistake.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm getting a crash on "creating rivers" when I use the mod. I remember that being a common problem for V2, but the only thing I can think to do is clear the cache, which I've already done :/. Regular game loads fine.

E: Wait, forgot about the cache in the Documents folder, I'm in!

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 10, 2014

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Since we're mocking Victoria 2 mods, I've made a mini-mod for PDM (specifically PoD 3.06) to make Reconstruction era America more complex. Stuff like the Emancipation Proclamation turning Confederate slaves into Union soldiers. Unfortunately a lot of it seems wonky and there are hundreds of errors in the base PDM files reported by the Audax Validator program. Still, I was mostly hoping for critique about the ideas in the mod since I don't know much about the American Civil War. For example, I got the impression from reading Wikipedia for a few hours that Johnson went for a milder approach than Lincoln. Is that right?

The mod does some other stuff too but I've been focusing on the Civil War for a few days now and I'd like some feedback.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/hcu4d0wnv9krpig/FaultysFixes10.rar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well I went for the earliest start for a look at that, and playing as the Iroquois started out okay, but within a decade the French were colonizing North America with a vengeance and then this happened:

So yeah they brought about 300,000 men to conquer a North American native tribe in 1618AD. And we thought EU4 had some issues with early overseas logistics!

• Locked thread