Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Elyv posted:

Uh, no one says Elspeth sucks because of her first two abilities, her ultimate is a pretty minor bonus. Usually people die to dudes getting angelic blessinged or something.

Well obviously, but if it were printed without the ultimate it'd be a much different card.

New Ajani without the ultimate is only a minorly different card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Well obviously, but if it were printed without the ultimate it'd be a much different card.

New Ajani without the ultimate is only a minorly different card.

Elspeth would be a very different card because no scrubs would be tempted to triple lightning bolt their own planeswalker.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
In what world does, 'You can't lose the game in under 10 turns,' have no immediate affect on the board state?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
In a world where a control deck has been revelating enough that its loop elixirs. Also Skullcrack. Also a GR monsters deck with a absolutely dominating board position.

Granted all these scenarios except the Skullcrack one really stretch things by allowing there to be an Ajani that got to 8 in the first place, but you asked! :shobon:

I'm scared that eidolon is going to kill my deck (BW midrange)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

A big flaming stink posted:

In a world where a control deck has been revelating enough that its loop elixirs. Also Skullcrack. Also a GR monsters deck with a absolutely dominating board position.

Granted all these scenarios except the Skullcrack one really stretch things by allowing there to be an Ajani that got to 8 in the first place, but you asked! :shobon:

I'm scared that eidolon is going to kill my deck (BW midrange)

Eh, it's a tired argument, but in this instance I think it works. Dies to Doomblade.

And as I say, probably hurt it's own deck more. Plus BW midrange gets to play a lot of CMC4 guys.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Eh, it's a tired argument, but in this instance I think it works. Dies to Doomblade.

And as I say, probably hurt it's own deck more. Plus BW midrange gets to play a lot of CMC4 guys.

This is not a thing in formats and/or matchups where you want the burn effect. Even if your cards are more likely to cause damage to you, you also care a lot less about damage inflicted to yourself than damage inflicted to your opponent. Similar to the situation with cards like Jackal Pup, Flame Rift, etc.

It won't necessarily be good for standard but Pyrostatic Pillar has seen play in legacy (and Pillar isn't legal in modern) and in those formats almost every spell will trigger the damage ability.

Keep in mind that in the context of standard it is likely to get bricked by a Caryatid which then powers out 4-5 drops that don't trigger it - the card itself seems pretty awkward against G/R/x monsters in that regard.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 9, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

threefive posted:

In what world does, 'You can't lose the game in under 10 turns,' have no immediate affect on the board state?

In one where the fall set is a Return to Poison Counters :unsmigghh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Brian Braun-Duin ‏@BraunDuinIt 44s
I don't think Ajani goes into a Bant Walker list. It doesn't defend itself and the deck has 0 creatures.

Brian Braun-Duin ‏@BraunDuinIt 28s
However the card feels like an awesome top end for GWx midrange (Junk/Naya). I think Ajani is good but needs the right shell.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ultimate-ing him in Junk with something like Erebos that lets you spend life sounds hilarious.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

C-Euro posted:

Ultimate-ing him in Junk with something like Erebos that lets you spend life sounds hilarious.

There's that new BW, pay 1 life dude too?

Junk lifegain here it comes!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Except both of those need mana too. Might start looking for Coursers and Reapers though.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I could see godsend getting used in a hexproof deck maybe, but not a weenie aggro deck. It'd be cool if there was some more white devotion cards and mono-w devotion was a thing.

uWr devotion control playing two-four Nykthos briefly existed early in the Theros season, preying on the usual new format aggro glut. Take all your early guys out with Chained to the Rocks, move on into D Sphere, then slap down a Heliod who's powered entirely by enchantments so that R/B removal is totally useless. Your white devotion could also power out Spear, Reckoner, Precinct Captain and Archangel to give you a force that presented tons of damage in first strike, grew out of Mortars range and demanded the Verdict. Or you could just go nuts spending it on giant Sphinx's Revelations.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

C-Euro posted:

Honest to god - some of the posts in this thread, combined with people in our city's facebook mtg group making similar posts (mainly myself), makes me want to see the jankiest and dumbest ways of taking advantage of this Ajani ultimite.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The real reason I want to see this is because gaining 100 life is way funnier when your opponents can't gain life because of Erebos.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

an_mutt posted:

Honest to god - some of the posts in this thread, combined with people in our city's facebook mtg group making similar posts (mainly myself), makes me want to see the jankiest and dumbest ways of taking advantage of this Ajani ultimite.

Oh look, I finally have enough life to kill you with Souldrinker. :v: I'm sure we can get more complicated though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RME posted:

The real reason I want to see this is because gaining 100 life is way funnier when your opponents can't gain life because of Erebos.

I'd rather just cast Sanguine Bond. But then, I'm not a sadistic dickwad. :v:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

an_mutt posted:

Channel into a Bond of Agony for 50?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

vOv posted:

Channel into a Bond of Agony for 50?

Think of the Phyrexian Processor!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Equip a Nightmare Lash a bunch of times to a creature with a Livewire Lash on it for Lash tribal! Do something with untapping Phyrexian Colossus 12 times!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vOv posted:

Equip a Nightmare Lash a bunch of times to a creature with a Livewire Lash on it for Lash tribal! Do something with untapping Phyrexian Colossus 12 times!

Do I hear a Mesmeric Orb mill combo? White green mill, here I come.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

vOv posted:

Livewire triggers on spells only although Lash tribal sounds like a fun deck so I'm down with this.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

gang sines posted:

Livewire triggers on spells only although Lash tribal sounds like a fun deck so I'm down with this.

RIP lashdraft.dec from triple Mirrodin draft

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

gang sines posted:

Oh dammit you're right. Daru Spiritualist and your favorite janky large-toughness win combo then. Or Cephalid Illusionist and Lab Maniac.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

RIP lashdraft.dec from triple Mirrodin draft

Lashwrithe
Lash of the Whip
Heartlash Cinder
Counterlash
and of course Korlash

e: Lashknife and Lashknife Barrier of course!!!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

gang sines posted:

Lashwrithe
Lash of the Whip
Heartlash Cinder
Counterlash
and of course Korlash

You forgot Nightmare Lash!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mikujin posted:

You forgot Nightmare Lash!

Lashdraft was a real thing and it referred to Nim Lasher.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

I'd rather just cast Sanguine Bond. But then, I'm not a sadistic dickwad. :v:

My coworker suggested this as well. It also makes me wish Serra Avatar was legendary so I could run that and Ajani in my Sisay EDH deck :allears: A 140/140 Serra Avatar with Akroma's Memorial in play sounds so good.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

My coworker suggested this as well. It also makes me wish Serra Avatar was legendary so I could run that and Ajani in my Sisay EDH deck :allears: A 140/140 Serra Avatar with Akroma's Memorial in play sounds so good.

Psha, mine gets to 140 easily with Oloro.

...granted, on one occasion it got hit with Grisly Spectable and I was instantly milled of everything ever. Defeated in one fell swoop.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ages ago I ran a deck based around putting out enormous serra avatars. At some point someone else had managed to chump them several times and I just decided to see how much life I could gain. Noble purpose, angelic chorus, worthy cause, and serra avatar get really dumb. I eventually got something like 1e23 life before I finally got through for the win.

Now I want to make an EDH deck that does the same thing.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ramos posted:

Psha, mine gets to 140 easily with Oloro.

...granted, on one occasion it got hit with Grisly Spectable and I was instantly milled of everything ever. Defeated in one fell swoop.

Type 4 was a format popular in my playgroup many many years ago. For those who don't know, it's basically a specially designed cube where you have infinite mana and can only cast one spell per turn. It's wonky, high powered, and hilarious. Anyway, one game went with me playing Serra Avatar first turn, only to be hit with Backlash at the end of my turn. Pretty quick round.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Aranan posted:

Type 4 was a format popular in my playgroup many many years ago. For those who don't know, it's basically a specially designed cube where you have infinite mana and can only cast one spell per turn. It's wonky, high powered, and hilarious. Anyway, one game went with me playing Serra Avatar first turn, only to be hit with Backlash at the end of my turn. Pretty quick round.

I cast fireball for 20 want to play again?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

uggy posted:

I imagine it would have X cards banned for obvious reasons.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

uggy posted:

Generally type 4 decks avoid X spells that deal damage, or have the ability to kill a player in a single shot. Things like dominate were cool.

Exceptions are things like chimeric staff since it can be chumped, and dragon whelp as the potential golden bullet in multiplayer. The usual deck we had was several hundred cards that everyone drew from as a common library, there was a common graveyard, and just one spell a turn. It was also attack left, and if the deck ran out somehow and people still weren't dead you would just shuffle up the yard and keep going. It was actually a lot of fun and I'd like to build a new deck for it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Yeah, the cubes (or piles; we had not heard of cubes at this point) didn't have any X burn spells for that reason. Ertai's Meddling is cool; Fireball is not. Tower of Fortunes yes, Dimir Guildmage no. It's kind of like EDH in that you use a bunch of cards normally considered too lovely to ever shuffle up, but it was pretty fun.

[edit] My group didn't even use firebreathing effects, but I know others did.

Here's the original article where I discovered the format: https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/198

Aranan fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 10, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The worst card in that format that people still put it in Azorius guildmage. It was a complete boardstall nightmare, but it's always in for some reason.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I prefer Free Magic to Type 4- the primary difference is that you start with 0 cards in Free Magic, but don't have the spells per turn limit. It's even faster and crazier than Type 4. There's also separate graveyards. At the end of each game, the winner takes all the cards from that game into their 'win' pile. This pile can be used if you draw one of the Wishes in the deck. Whenever you stop playing, the player with the biggest win stack is the ultimate winner of Free Magic.

It's super sweet, though the deck needs to be properly constructed- no tutors or x-spells obviously, not too many card-drawing engines, and enough removal for stuff like Azorius Guildmage.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
This is the exact reason why I love playing Commander. Unsuspecting folk, Daxos hits a Cyclonic Rift and it was OVER.

This was the aftermath. Wheee!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I foresee misery in my commander future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

From Channel Fireball.

• Locked thread