Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd never heard of it before. Just watched it, not bad. I love ghost stories and keep looking for movies that will actually scare me, aka make my heart rate increase. This fit the bill. It had a bit too much teenage romance drama for my liking but was otherwise OK and definitely not a waste of time. 7/10 with some decent jump scares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You are all criminals for thinking Triangle is better than Timecrimes. Triangle is a movie I've seen at least five better versions of. Oh no bad things happen and then they repeat, what an original idea!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ravenkult posted:

You are all criminals for thinking Triangle is better than Timecrimes. Triangle is a movie I've seen at least five better versions of. Oh no bad things happen and then they repeat, what an original idea!

What are five better movies than triangle? Because I enjoyed the hell out of Triangle, and might be interested in seeing other movies like it that aren't Timecrimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ravenkult posted:

Other than Groundhog Day I'm stressing to think of another movie where the entire timeline cycles.

Oh poo poo, mentioning GD was bannable at one point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What, really?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I disliked Timecrimes for the same reason I disliked Tucker and Dale vs Evil: Once you understand the premise, all that remains is seeing what kind of crazy contortions the writers are going to have to put the story through to get there. It's entertaining, sure, but not as a story. Whereas, I thought Triangle was actually an effective horror movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Skyscraper posted:

I disliked Timecrimes for the same reason I disliked Tucker and Dale vs Evil: Once you understand the premise, all that remains is seeing what kind of crazy contortions the writers are going to have to put the story through to get there. It's entertaining, sure, but not as a story. Whereas, I thought Triangle was actually an effective horror movie.

Well...Tucker and Dale was a straight up hooror, with all the tropes that established genre has. It's great they were kinda funny about it, but if you're watching that movie expecting to be blown away by the plot of it or Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Friday the Thirteenth then you just should lower your expectations of what a straight horror gets you.

I mean, it was basically a comedy sendup of TCM, which itself had no loving point. It's really not a 'smart' genre. There are some great twists off that genre, like Cabin in the woods, but those are hybrids.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2014

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nocal posted:

Kill List is like having a literal nightmare. Martha Marcy May Marlene is kinda sorta like having a friend who joined the Manson family. Dogtooth is about a clannish, abusive family -- not as horrific as the other two, but pretty good.

All three are worth watching.

If you liked Kill List you should probably check out the rest of Ben Wheatley's films. Down Terrace and Sightseers aren't strictly psychological horror, but his most recent, A Field In England, probably counts. It's a trippy, Jodorowsky-esque film about the English Civil War with one scene of Reece Shearsmith, exiting a tent in slow motion after something very bad has happened, sporting a really nightmarish expression. Shearsmith's currently writing/starring in a TV series called Inside Number 9 which is pretty great too, each episode a standalone story in an updated Tales of the Unexpected/twisted O Henry style. The first episode, "Sardines", was probably the best, with a really sick twist at the end.

Anyway, to further us away from arguing about the merits of time travel films, I just watched Frailty (I'm investigating Matthew McConaughey's back catalogue to see if he was always this good, aside from all the romcoms) and kinda dug it? It's Bill Paxton's first film as director and has a pretty great opening scene - an FBI agent (Powers Boothe!) is called to his office in the middle of the night because a guy (McConaughey) claims the serial killer the agent's been hunting is his brother, who just killed himself - and has a creepy story that's mostly told in flashback.

The direction's pretty pedestrian and there's some hammy parts - a lot from Paxton himself, who plays McConaughey's loony father - and cheesy dialogue in places, but also some child actors that are genuinely good and the premise is just weird and unsettling. I even quite liked the goofy ending :shobon: Worth a stream, if nothing else.

tenniseveryone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 12, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah, it was something stupid where goons would post "that one movie with Bill Murray" and it became bannable.

At least I think that's how it went.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2186

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah but Tucker and Dale vs Evil was hilarious.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Slackerish posted:

Yeah but Tucker and Dale vs Evil was hilarious.

Sure, it just wasn't surprising after the premise. Likewise, Timecrimes (I think) makes a better dark comedy than a psychological horror film, while Triangle plays it straight.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Keanu Grieves posted:

I quite liked it. Then again, I've never been the biggest fan of the original, so I'm not quite as attached. Yeah, it was unnecessary, but every movie's unnecessary, and I enjoyed the performances all around and the screenplay tweaks that allowed Spike Lee to move the action stateside. The hallway fight scene from the original is the only moment that sticks with me, and Lee found a way to one-up Park there, so I don't know what everyone's bitching about.

I actually kind of lost interest in the remake right around the hallway fight, oddly enough. It just didn't feel as visceral as the original; it seemed like the remake was basically just built around trying to one-up the hallway scene and everything else was an afterthought. Also, it strains credulity to make me sit there and buy that not one single person in a giant private supermax facility in post-Katrina New Orleans owns a gun. Nah, better just line up one at a time with beer bottles and random hunks of lumber that can be splintered over Josh Brolin's spine with no seeming effect.

Then you get the exposition dumps and an ending that seems tone-deaf to the point of the original in a film that is otherwise close to a shot-for-shot remake and ugh. It did a few things right, and there are some interesting shots, but judged as a whole I think the Oldboy remake is much weaker. Then again, it might not be fair to judge it after seeing the original, because knowing exactly what's going to happen next for 90% of the film does kind of rob it of potency.

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
I watched Lunopolis on Netflix today.

It's not horror, sort of thriller-ish and I thought it was really interesting. Low budget found-footage pseudo-documentary kind of thing--involves people on the moon, governmental conspiracies, and cults.

I didn't expect much but it really held my attention and interest. Some pretty clever bits, even offering somewhat plausible explanations for time travel, Atlantis, and ghosts.

I liked it, especially for not knowing anything about it going in. Definitely spent worse 90 minutes.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I felt compelled to rectify the lack of Lars von Trier's Riget/The Kingdom.

Premise: "The Kingdom is the most technologically advanced hospital in Denmark, a gleaming bastion of medical science. A rash of uncanny occurrences, however, begins to weaken the staff's faith in science--a phantom ambulance pulls in every night, but disappears; voices echo in the elevator shaft; and a pregnant doctor's fetus seems to be developing much faster than is natural. At the goading of a spiritualist patient, some employees work to let supernatural forces rest."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108906/

I don't think you have to like Lars von Trier to enjoy this series; the person who recommended it to me as one of his favorite things ever hated Lars.

Oliver Reed fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 22, 2014

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
The first season of Riget is my favorite season of any show. It's so hilariously bizarre and unsettling :allears:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Drifter posted:

What are five better movies than triangle? Because I enjoyed the hell out of Triangle, and might be interested in seeing other movies like it that aren't Timecrimes.

I do like Triangle (altho TimeCrimes is better), Plus One (aka +1) is another movie in that vein you might like.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
TIMECRIME/TRIANGLE MEGATHREAD

Is +1 any good? I like the concept but it took a while for it to get going and I got tired of the insufferable teens. It felt like I'd been tricked into watching half of Project X.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I personally found it really mediocre. If you stopped watching halfway through because of boring teen bullshit then you made the right choice, because the rest of it is even more boring teen bullshit.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tenniseveryone posted:

Is +1 any good? I like the concept but it took a while for it to get going and I got tired of the insufferable teens. It felt like I'd been tricked into watching half of Project X.

It's ok. There was a clearly missed opportunity for a clever twist about 2/3 of the way in -- they spend so much time stressing out about how they're the originals and have to defeat the "evil" clones that I was sure they were going to discover a 3rd group of the actual originals, as far ahead in time from them as they themselves were ahead of the third group, and go into the metaphysical crisis that would entail. But nope.

It's reasonably entertaining but nothing you'd ever want to own or rewatch. I'd say it's as entertaining as, say, Saw N, where N is a whole number greater than 1. Good soundtrack!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

whatshesaid posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd never heard of it before. Just watched it, not bad. I love ghost stories and keep looking for movies that will actually scare me, aka make my heart rate increase. This fit the bill. It had a bit too much teenage romance drama for my liking but was otherwise OK and definitely not a waste of time. 7/10 with some decent jump scares.
Glad you liked it. :)

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I actually kind of lost interest in the remake right around the hallway fight, oddly enough. It just didn't feel as visceral as the original; it seemed like the remake was basically just built around trying to one-up the hallway scene and everything else was an afterthought. Also, it strains credulity to make me sit there and buy that not one single person in a giant private supermax facility in post-Katrina New Orleans owns a gun. Nah, better just line up one at a time with beer bottles and random hunks of lumber that can be splintered over Josh Brolin's spine with no seeming effect.

Then you get the exposition dumps and an ending that seems tone-deaf to the point of the original in a film that is otherwise close to a shot-for-shot remake and ugh. It did a few things right, and there are some interesting shots, but judged as a whole I think the Oldboy remake is much weaker. Then again, it might not be fair to judge it after seeing the original, because knowing exactly what's going to happen next for 90% of the film does kind of rob it of potency.
That's fair. I don't remember enough about the original to accurately compare them. I just think the worst you could say about the Oldboy remake is it's a mixed bag, whereas people seem to really hate it. Most movies aren't worth hating. But you know what is? The Canyons.

Also, 13 Sins — a remake of 13: Game of Death, which I still haven't seen — is out on VOD this weekend and it's surprisingly decent. There are a few gory moments, but it's more about transgression and irony than the gooey stuff. And, while we're on the subject of movies beginning with 13, if you haven't seen 13 tzameti — well, what the gently caress are you doing with your life?

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention Cheap Thrills, which has a similar premise as 13 Sins — a series of escalating bets gets really loving dark — but is all-around a better film, created by the collective responsible for You're Next and V/H/S. Ed Koechner really should get more starring roles, it reunites The Innkeepers' Pat Healy and Sara Paxton, and it has a wonderful sense of humor.

Thunderlips posted:

I watched Lunopolis on Netflix today.

It's not horror, sort of thriller-ish and I thought it was really interesting. Low budget found-footage pseudo-documentary kind of thing--involves people on the moon, governmental conspiracies, and cults.

I didn't expect much but it really held my attention and interest. Some pretty clever bits, even offering somewhat plausible explanations for time travel, Atlantis, and ghosts.

I liked it, especially for not knowing anything about it going in. Definitely spent worse 90 minutes.
Have you seen The Conspiracy? It sounds similar, but I enjoyed the gently caress out of The Conspiracy. Hopefully, you will too.

tenniseveryone posted:

Shearsmith's currently writing/starring in a TV series called Inside Number 9 which is pretty great too, each episode a standalone story in an updated Tales of the Unexpected/twisted O Henry style. The first episode, "Sardines", was probably the best, with a really sick twist at the end.
And thanks for recommending this. I just watched "Sardines," and I was floored. Great writing.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 22, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's an amazing film. Kinda sad we don't get the novel's ending.

They turn into crabs, I think

That is not at all what happens :wtc:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tenniseveryone posted:

I liked it well enough, it was a neat concept that fell kind of flat but it's nowhere near the worst film I saw last year.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

goodness posted:

That is not at all what happens :wtc:

Ahaha, that's what I get for trusting someone else's interpretation of the 18th chapter (which got published after the author's death) which I hadn't read myself. You can read it here ( http://robertomengoni.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/secret-hanging-rock.pdf ) and I guess someone was loving with me.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 23, 2014

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I feel like the first episode of Inside No. 9, Sardines, was probably influenced a lot by Thomas Vinterberg's movie The Celebration, which is, I think, the ultimate feeling-claustrophobic-at-a-family-reunion movie. I can't remember if it's been talked about in this thread before, but it sort of fits the thread theme. The set-up is simple (a family have a reunion to celebrate the patriarch's sixtieth birthday and a secret from the past is revealed), but the way it's shot and acted makes it feel grossly realistic. While it's not scary, I found it unsettling as hell and I felt nauseous for the rest of the day after watching it.

"All families have a secret"

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I feel like the first episode of Inside No. 9, Sardines, was probably influenced a lot by Thomas Vinterberg's movie The Celebration, which is, I think, the ultimate feeling-claustrophobic-at-a-family-reunion movie. I can't remember if it's been talked about in this thread before, but it sort of fits the thread theme. The set-up is simple (a family have a reunion to celebrate the patriarch's sixtieth birthday and a secret from the past is revealed), but the way it's shot and acted makes it feel grossly realistic. While it's not scary, I found it unsettling as hell and I felt nauseous for the rest of the day after watching it.

"All families have a secret"
I'm gonna check this out, thanks.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Your Dylan McDermott avatar reminded me that this movie belongs in this thread:

It's a slightly art-house lower budget version of terminator without the time travel aspect. Nothing amazing plot wise, it fit's the sci-fi thriller category at least. I mostly liked it for the visuals, the director had only done music videos before this film. It's got cameos from Iggy Pop and Lemme from motorhead.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

monkey posted:

It's a slightly art-house lower budget version of terminator without the time travel aspect. Nothing amazing plot wise, it fit's the sci-fi thriller category at least. I mostly liked it for the visuals, the director had only done music videos before this film. It's got cameos from Iggy Pop and Lemme from motorhead.

Also, Porkins.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, Porkins.

Whoa, is he the creepy neighbor guy?!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yup.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I never noticed that, just like I never noticed that Wez from Road Warrior is Bennett.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

monkey posted:

I saw it when it came out because the soundtrack featured Ministry and it was tied to the "industrial" aesthetic which I was into, but it was only a so-so movie.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

After watching the trailer for "Clown", it got me thinking - there aren't many horror movies where a good person slowly turns into evil due to some external force. Can anybody recommend some movies that have that sort of premise?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

After watching the trailer for "Clown", it got me thinking - there aren't many horror movies where a good person slowly turns into evil due to some external force. Can anybody recommend some movies that have that sort of premise?

It's just a tiny bit more lurid than most films in the thread, but Drag Me to Hell touches on this theme a bit. And it's a pretty good movie besides, especially if you like Sam Raimi.

Actually I think it poses the question of whether the main character was ever a good person, but whatever. The events of the movie make her awfulness more obvious, at the very least.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Do you mean like every possession movie ever?

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Do you mean like every possession movie ever?

Are you a fresh coast retard?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So I just watched the trailer for 'Clown' and I can't believe they made movie out of a literal Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iw4ZeNoTbg

tvayisnihyaami posted:

Are you a fresh coast retard?

fresh coast

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Uh, The Shining?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Sarchasm posted:

It's just a tiny bit more lurid than most films in the thread, but Drag Me to Hell touches on this theme a bit. And it's a pretty good movie besides, especially if you like Sam Raimi.

Actually I think it poses the question of whether the main character was ever a good person, but whatever. The events of the movie make her awfulness more obvious, at the very least.

Eh, no more evil than any other average person trying to get ahead in capitalist society. Selfish maybe, but "evil" considering the ridiculous extremes of characters in the horror genre? Nah.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wizchine posted:

Uh, The Shining?

Another reason why I actually asked the question - The Shining is one of my favorite movies ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So I just watched the trailer for 'Clown' and I can't believe they made movie out of a literal Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode:

Haha holy poo poo you're right. They might as well have just called the movie The Clowning. That being said I want to see it because that movie looks hilarious.

• Locked thread