Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Dreggon posted:

1. The Vulcan is ridiculous. Too bad you can't have two.

2. Found "Reconstructive Teleport", an augmentation which heals your teleporting units to full health whenever you teleport :stare:

I found one of this on one of my mantis B attempts - I died anyway when a fire knocked out my doors/O2 and a bunch of mantis just couldn't cope with their awful repairs. Can't teleport to your own ship, after all :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sometimes the rng takes a shine to you and you are able to backtrack 3 rebel controlled areas to get to the exit and only taking 3 points of damage. Hurrah for the zoltan shield and my engines.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh gently caress the RNG! I'm using engi ship B and I'm finished with sector 4 and have come across about 7 stores. And I haven't found a single available crew men. I'm just slowly tugging along with flak 2 and ion intruder drone, but I don't have enough energy to use both at the same time. And I'm going to have upgrade my shield to 3 and doors to 2 before I can spare more energy. I wish this game was so loving random.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
Had a vulcan drop from beating the 2nd phase of the flagship. Felt like a bit of a slap in the dick :ftl:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shwqa posted:

Ugh gently caress the RNG! I'm using engi ship B and I'm finished with sector 4 and have come across about 7 stores. And I haven't found a single available crew men. I'm just slowly tugging along with flak 2 and ion intruder drone, but I don't have enough energy to use both at the same time. And I'm going to have upgrade my shield to 3 and doors to 2 before I can spare more energy. I wish this game was so loving random.

Oh yay... 4 no events at all in a row and then I ran out of fuel on a sun. Super fun....

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wonder what it'd be like if they added a new ship, that started as an AI controlled ship (player controls the AI of course). It would probably need a new, possibly untargetable, system to allow it, and would probably start without medbay/cloning/oxygen. You'd miss out on veterans manning the systems or doing blue events, but it might have some bonuses to balance around that.

Iunno if you've explored modded ships, but there's a few on ftl's forums that are basically this. Dunno if they'd work with the advanced edition (haven't messed with any mods to it actually), but they were pretty cool in vanilla.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I bought this game on a whim. I've never played it before and no basically nothing about the actual gameplay. Should I follow the game's advice and keep the additional content off or just turn it on even for my first few playthroughs?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Have it on and get owned repeatedly until you start figuring things out.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
For anyone experiencing dismal luck, allow me to relate to you the current game I have going. It's my first time using the federation cruiser and thanks to RNG favor I managed to get the Mantis pirate event. Despite losing my rockman and mantis I still manage to pull it off and unlock not only the Mantis cruiser but the Lanius as well since it was my fourth ship unlock. On top of this, I get a free weapon from his coordinates and THEN right after I just got a weapon pre-igniter for free. I am ready for my third win on this game. :hellyeah:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Internet Kraken posted:

So I bought this game on a whim. I've never played it before and no basically nothing about the actual gameplay. Should I follow the game's advice and keep the additional content off or just turn it on even for my first few playthroughs?

Others in this thread say just go with all of it right off the bat, but I found the original game overwhelming enough when I first bought it. I would suggest leaving the additional content off for a few playthroughs. (Either way you're still going to have no idea wtf and get wrecked repeatedly. It's how the game is.)

Other tips: Play on Easy. This is not the AAA industry's difficulty settings, and Easy is still punishingly hard until you figure things out.

Also, pause. Pause all the time. You can issue all of your orders while paused, all your power manipulation, all your decisions. There is a way out of almost every situation, and the best thing to do is stop and figure things out. There's a reason that pause is mapped to the biggest key on the keyboard by default.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Talking about loving RNG screwjobs, I made it all the way to the Flagship in the Stealth A with only my rinky-dink minibeam and dual lasers. From sector 2 onward, I hit every store I could and never got offered any weapons. Nothing at all.

Also didn't unlock the Stealth B because I got nodefucked and had to jump to a hazard zone.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I still haven't got Tactical Approach because it's usually impossible, I think it would be better to just focus on the other two. Bird of Prey can easily be obtained from any shieldless auto-scout once you get a few weapons and the flagship's third stage makes Phase Shift equally easy.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vengarr posted:

Talking about loving RNG screwjobs, I made it all the way to the Flagship in the Stealth A with only my rinky-dink minibeam and dual lasers. From sector 2 onward, I hit every store I could and never got offered any weapons. Nothing at all.

Also didn't unlock the Stealth B because I got nodefucked and had to jump to a hazard zone.

I haven't finished the run yet, but I'm currently in sector 6 with the Fed A. I unlocked the achievement for reaching sector 5 without upgrading your weapons system, and there's a good reason for that--I haven't gotten any weapons whatsoever. FTL is a harsh mistress.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Notorious QIG posted:

I haven't finished the run yet, but I'm currently in sector 6 with the Fed A. I unlocked the achievement for reaching sector 5 without upgrading your weapons system, and there's a good reason for that--I haven't gotten any weapons whatsoever. FTL is a harsh mistress.

I have a new best RNG screwjob story. I ran into a Slug ship with a charge ion, a pike beam, and a minibeam. I'm in the Stealth A with 1 shield pip and a cloak.

I pop cloak when the Ion is firing, giving me 80% evasion. All three shots hit, one hitting the shields, one hitting the weapons, and one hitting the pilot. Then the beams fired as soon as the cloak went down, destroying weapons, shields, pilot and O2.

I almost died, but managed to pop cloak again after the ion fired. This time it fires two shots at 60% evasion, one of which hits the cloak and the other hits the shields. The beams then tore me to shreds.

Pretty sure FTL stands for loving The pLayer.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Zoltan C is pretty fun. Power management is its weakness, but that's not a big problem:

-As long as Zoltan shield is still up, you don't need to power or man shields.

-As soon as you get a new crewmember take the zoltan pilot and have him help power weapons.

-As soon as Zoltan shields drop, move the zoltan from engines to shields to help power them.

-as you get non zoltan crew, use the 4 zoltan on weapons and engines.

Shield drone, reverse ion field, drone recovery arm
, and battery charger are all very useful with the C setup. Like all 3 variants, you want to keep the zoltan shield up as long as possible because it stops most weapons, hacks, and mind control.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Oh, RNG rage? Just g-quit a 8 man Stealth on Sector 4 because I'd never been able to upgrade. Ever. Barely enough scrap and encounters to buy fuel and keep the hull ~50%. Just crewmembers on random events. Forever.

But hot drat, the Rock B (Shivan) is mercilessly surgical. I'm on my 6th captured ship, no teleporters. You start with a piercing laser (one shot, 2dmg, goes through one shield level) and a fire bomb. I lucked out on a burst laser at an early shop. It charges just before the piercing shot so I can effectively punch through up to 3 shields. I usually one shot their weapons on volley 1 and start the fire bomb on their medbay/O2.

Volley 2-3 are just a formality. Whatever's left of their guns doesn't matter since the Rock ship has an aug that gives a 15% chance to take no hull damage on every hit.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Can you purchase sensors if the ship doesn't come with them? are there some systems that you just can't get unless the ship comes with it?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Can you purchase sensors if the ship doesn't come with them? are there some systems that you just can't get unless the ship comes with it?

You definitely can. I don't think you're ever locked out of any system.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Vengarr posted:

You definitely can. I don't think you're ever locked out of any system.

You used to be locked out of Cloaking on the Federation Cruiser but not in AE

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

StringOfLetters posted:

It's actually... kind of good, if you just embrace what it is? Slugs are just as good as human at fight, and you start with the ability to win any boarding action.

Start with your slugs on piloting, engines, and weapons. When your (artemis?) Missile is nearly charged, have your engine and weapon guys crawl over to the teleporter, and beam to somewhere on the other ship.

The ideal situation is, their Pilot Guy leaves his station to help fight off the boarders. If that happens, great; the enemy ship is now evasion-less, and you can heal-bomb your slugmans without risk. Launch the healbomb when your slugs get to maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of their health - don't try to get it at the last possible second to maximize ammo efficiency, you'll probably gently caress up. Two slugs in a two-tile room getting heal-bombed can beat up anyone and everyone. Don't be stingy with your missile/bombs, the extra scrap and loot you'll collect from successfully emptying the ship will more than compensate a little overkill.

If they have a missile or particularly large laser weapon, fire your lil missile at their weapon system to preserve your delicate hull. If they have a medbay or clone bay, fire your lil missile at it as soon as an injured person enters it / clone guy dies.

If the pilot does not leave the helm to engage your slugs, have your slugs meet him up there. While they are fighting the pilot and the enemy ship's evasion is impaired, launch your first missile at the helm. It will hurt your slugs, but who gives a poo poo, you're going to heal bomb them in ~8 seconds anyways.

Keep 50 scrap in reserve and hit up shops to try and find a medical facility. I think the cloning bay works better with boarders+heal bombing, just as a safety net for gently caress-ups, but YMMV.

If you are engaging an auto-drone ship - Slug B is not great at those. Your guys have enough air to L1 teleport -> heal bomb -> teleport back and break some systems. Do not warp over there until you've taken their autopilot out with a missile, lest your heal bomb miss. You're going to need a lot of missiles to break a drone ship, you might be better off retreating.

After getting a healing bay, look for any lovely old laser weapon. Whatever's cheap. You just need some source of non-missile damage for breaking down zoltan shields or finishing off drone ships. (Recommend a missile to the pilot station, boarders+healbombs to lower their shields, laser it the rest of the way) And getting a second shield layer is always a good idea.

This is all true and slug B is awesome. Although I'd also recommend you prioritize getting a hacking system (or alternately a mind control) so that you can easily kill the enemy evasion and ensure your heals hit. Slugs may seem like pretty average boarders, but they're a lot better when they're effectively invincible.

Also, the slug telepathy buff helps out a lot too, since you can actually see what kind of crew you're dealing with and maybe missile one of the tougher guys before you teleport, like if there's a mantis.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Mother of God this free expansion is amazing.

I'm always a crew killer, it's what I love to do. And my first run through I realized I bought too many systems and could no longer fit a teleporter.

Well, what do I have to work with?

Cloaking, mind control, fire beam, breach 2 bomb, shield drone, boarding drone, drone recovery, 2 auto reloaders.

Teleporters? We don't need no stinking Teleporters :black101:

Also my crew is 2 rock dudes, 2 engi, 3 zoltan, and a slug. I'm basically unstoppable.

:Edit:

Ahahaha a mind controlled mantis boarder just manned the shields wtf

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 10, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

boredsatellite posted:

Sometimes the rng takes a shine to you and you are able to backtrack 3 rebel controlled areas to get to the exit and only taking 3 points of damage. Hurrah for the zoltan shield and my engines.

Once you have a cloak the rebel controlled zones are more or less infinitely tankable as long as you save your cloak for when the big plasma ball shoots after the ASB LOCK ON! warning. The cloak recharges faster than the fleet's ASB. As long as you can fight a rebel cruiser every level (and as long as your cloak doesn't fail) you should be okay.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

TheSpiritFox posted:

Mother of God this free expansion is amazing.

I'm always a crew killer, it's what I love to do. And my first run through I realized I bought too many systems and could no longer fit a teleporter.

Well, what do I have to work with?

Cloaking, mind control, fire beam, breach 2 bomb, shield drone, boarding drone, drone recovery, 2 auto reloaders.

Teleporters? We don't need no stinking Teleporters :black101:

Also my crew is 2 rock dudes, 2 engi, 3 zoltan, and a slug. I'm basically unstoppable.

:Edit:

Ahahaha a mind controlled mantis boarder just manned the shields wtf

My next plan is to mind control a rebel in the first sector, teleport them onto my ship and see if I can carry them to the rebel flagship.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Antinumeric posted:

My next plan is to mind control a rebel in the first sector, teleport them onto my ship and see if I can carry them to the rebel flagship.

I don't see how you could possibly manage to avoid killing him.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

TheSpiritFox posted:

Upgrade doors, man doors with one guy, hope the enemy ends up in a systemless room just pounding on the doors ineffectively?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

TheSpiritFox posted:

Maybe you could keep him in the medbay with a mix of engi opponent, upgraded doors, and re-controlling him to heal (I assume that part works since mind controlled guys man systems). You can move him there with airlock/door actions.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheSpiritFox posted:

Spam mind control on him, I guess.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

rchandra posted:

Maybe you could keep him in the medbay with a mix of engi opponent, upgraded doors, and re-controlling him to heal (I assume that part works since mind controlled guys man systems). You can move him there with airlock/door actions.

Only issue I'd see with this is if he decides to go man another system mind controlled. The AI can just walk through upgraded doors when he's friendly.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Woah, you can totally shoot at cloaked vessels now if you have a guy aboard them. I clicked on a cloaked Slug ship to queue up my guns and they just blasted away.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any way around the screen limit so I can play this on my netbook?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I fired lasers at a target ship, but jumped away and after jumping those lasers hit the next ships shields :iiam:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Stealth A is complete rear end. It doesn't help that every other jump I run into a scout ship that immediately tries to run. Stealth B is also terrible. Please tell me Stealth C is somewhat useable.

On the plus side, I found out if you jump as the scout ship jumps but before you get the message, the fleet doesn't advance. Good to know.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Inadequately posted:

Please tell me Stealth C is somewhat useable.

You know how Stealth A and B are really hard to work with because they have a cloak and no shield?

Stealth C has neither.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

cock hero flux posted:

You know how Stealth A and B are really hard to work with because they have a cloak and no shield?

Stealth C has neither.

Well, it does have a Shield Overcharger drone. That's...something?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

Stealth C has neither.

What DOES it have? How is it even remotely 'stealth'?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

Stealth C has neither.

They really did just decide to say gently caress You to everyone who ever complained about the Stealth Ship didn't they?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I love the idea of the Stealth B--the skilled-but-difficult glass cannon--but its really luck-dependent in a game where the RNG likes to see you cry.

Stealth C is simply for masochists.

e: literally have failed to get out of Sector 1 five times in a row trying to unlock Stealth C. I think I need to take a break.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 10, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
After doing a run as Slug B and Engie B I think Rock A is the worst ship of the A/Bs. It has some of the hardest achievements too like completing the crystal ship quest line.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
My god Lanius B is a loving monster, it almost doesn't seem fair to use it. It just completely laughs at cloning bays because of the weird AI that always makes them leave a room with no oxygen once their health hits about 20% leaving you to destroy the bay before you go and finish them off. Likewise the Adv. Flak is all kinds of silly until the enemy starts getting more shields, and solves the problem with super shields that most boarding ships start with. If you can get reconstructive teleport and a few extra layers of shields you're pretty much set for the entire run.

I'm also really liking Engi-C, Zoltan-C, and Rock-C. I finished unlocking the rest but haven't tried them... besides the Feddie-C which is great fun, but so bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
This seems about right:

• Locked thread