Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It slays me to see people bitch about superhero movies being dumb and then in the next sentence miss basic loving plot points like this, to say nothing of all the people who hated Iron Man 3 because all the stuff with the suits was "unrealistic" even though the symbolism and thematic importance was literally spelled out for you multiple times.

Because I take bait:

A middle part with a connect the dots mystery and a kid? They made it out like it was a major struggle with him in the snow and living in a barn and there was really no weight to it considering his whole fleet was operational. Also there was a dumb kid. The character arc was the same as Iron man 2: I need things (drugs, self pity, powerful robots)! Oh not really I just need you underwritten mildly supporting character pepper pots.

Maybe I'm wrong I dunno superheroes seems dumb to me.

Having said all this I know what its like when someone on the internet shits on things i like and gently caress those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Dark Knight Rises was a good film with an abhorrent message.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fooz posted:

Because I take bait:

A middle part with a connect the dots mystery and a kid? They made it out like it was a major struggle with him in the snow and living in a barn and there was really no weight to it considering his whole fleet was operational. Also there was a dumb kid. The character arc was the same as Iron man 2: I need things (drugs, self pity, powerful robots)! Oh not really I just need you underwritten mildly supporting character pepper pots.

Having said all this I know what its like when someone on the internet shits on things i like and gently caress those guys.

They cut to his house like 4 times showing the huge amount of rubble that's being removed from his armory's doors.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Mmkay you got me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wow, I can't believe how thoroughly you missed the point of that movie.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Dark Knight Rises was a good film with an abhorrent message.

TDKR is at best competent but it has some of the worst, most confused thematic work I've ever seen. I have no idea what the writers thought the thesis of that movie was, especially in relation to its prequels, which it seems to go out of its way to contradict in message. And what little manages to slip through is just atrocious; for as much as CineD likes to circlejerk about how fascist The Avengers is (and it's really not), The Dark Knight Rises is a thousand times worse and more overt.

It also manages to ruin its central villain, by far the most interesting thing about the entire movie, through a really stupid plot twist.

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 10, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fooz posted:

Do people have no limit to the amount of superhero content they're willing to consume? Three Iron Mans, two thors, two captain planets americas, five spider mans, three batmans, three seperate hulks, two supermen, seven X-men. Am I cursed to be a grumpy curmudgeon for another decade?

I don't have a limit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
All goons have a preset superhero movie limit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My limit is your mom.

In TV news, I've started watching Da Vinci's Daemons. Only two episodes in so far but it's watchable enough.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 10, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I always try to push it to the limit. I walk along the razor's edge, but I don't look down, I just keep my head. Or i'd be finished.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fooz posted:

Because I take bait:

You're definitely wrong about Iron Man 3 which is not only good but is an actual legitimate movie (not just a superhero commercial or whatever) with a great script by Shane Black.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

achillesforever6 posted:

Really if we are going by Greek Mythology, it would be Heracles, Jason and the Argonauts was also the first superhero crossover event which then led to the Seven Against Thebes (which had a sequel in the lost epic the Epigoni War) and then that led to the Trojan Cycle :goonsay:

I don't know how I forgot about Heracles.

muscles like this? posted:

Gilgamesh was basically a superhero.

I'd say Gilgamesh was more of an anti-hero. He'd rape women, when he wasn't sucking Enkidu's dick.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
So the creators of the SHIELD tv show made 17 hours of boring, mediocre, uninspired television on purpose because it was all a lead up to the second Captain America movie. That's some long-term planning right there.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Seams posted:

So the creators of the SHIELD tv show made 17 hours of boring, mediocre, uninspired television on purpose because it was all a lead up to the second Captain America movie. That's some long-term planning right there.

Not only that, but they also completely failed to foreshadow important plot twists despite knowing well in advance where the story would go.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
But remember, we're not allowed to complain about that stuff because we're just whiny nerds. So sayeth the lead on SHIELD.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

for as much as CineD likes to circlejerk about how fascist The Avengers is (and it's really not)

TVIV does the same thing with Agents of SHIELD and how it kept pushing the idea that what SHIELD was doing was all correct and right.

All of this of course has built up to Winter Soldier.

Edit: Just got to the posts above mine. I didn't think the whole show was boring, and I think some points could maybe be foreshadowing on a second watch? I mean opinions are opinions but the whole show wasn't a waste up to this point.

Olibu fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 10, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mo0 posted:

But remember, we're not allowed to complain about that stuff because we're just whiny nerds. So sayeth the lead on SHIELD.

To be fair, he didn't say you weren't allowed to complain, he just called you losers for complaining.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
You are losers for complaining, because you chose to invest your time in the show that was obviously terrible from episode 1.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

Well, I don't know what any of that has to do with the actress who plays Shae on GoT (that's who they were arguing about, right?), but I guess if you need to make a statement...

Hey, I mentioned The Wolf at the Door a few months ago, which is the new Telltale game based on Fables. First episode was outstanding, second was sloppy, but the third is supposed to be out today. Just thought I'd remind you that if you loved The Walking Dead game, this is absolutely worth your time.

Oh right quoting this from several pages back but Wolf Among Us is good especially with the most recent episode but The Walking Dead season 2 has been high loving art. No joke I really wish I could make a Telltale thread here because I have some poo poo I wanna say about the themes present in TWD season 2

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also just want to point this out:

Book barn has the bad thread
TVIV has the GoT thread which is basically bad thread: whiny spergs edition
Whenever telltale comes out with their got game season Games is gonna have bad thread: angry console warrior douche edition

3 separate subforums that will have their own version of a bad thread, simultaneously

God I hope there's a GoT movie so we can have bad thread: wordy pretentious rear end in a top hat edition

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
No version could be worse than a CD version

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
You all know you want SMG to weigh in heavily on Game of Thrones.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
SMG is far from the worst poster in Cinema Discusso.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
True, but he also lights a flame under everyone else's rear end.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Not his fault the posters there are flash paper.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

Not his fault the posters there are flash paper.

SMG is one of the most-blocked users on the forum because he writes funny movie reviews.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Oh good, SMG chat is leaking into other forums.

I love reading SMG posts, but if everyone else could just get over the fact that a guy on the internet has different opinions about movies, that would be swell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not his real opinions.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They're not his real opinions.

Wouldn't that make what he posts matter even less?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CPFortest posted:

Wouldn't that make what he posts matter even less?

You'd think so, but the fact they're manufactured makes them feel the need to argue harder.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You'd think so, but the fact they're manufactured makes them feel the need to argue harder.

Gotta love the internet

At any rate, as much as I love talking about Something Awful posting culture, I feel it's more interesting to talk about the fact that Michael Chiklis is going to be on American Horror Story next year and how loving funny that is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CPFortest posted:

Gotta love the internet

At any rate, as much as I love talking about Something Awful posting culture, I feel it's more interesting to talk about the fact that Michael Chiklis is going to be on American Horror Story next year and how loving funny that is.

Man if there ever was a more American horror story it'd be the shield

I really wish there was an emoticon that combined :iceburn: and :smith: for posts like that one

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Caught the rerun of The Middle with Keegan-Michael Key from Key and Peele as a minister. It was great.

Postal Parcel posted:

:hfive:
Hey Phoenix:Endsong bro.
That's exactly where Land started for me too. It was gorgeous...but the final page of it(where the whole cast appears in a vision) was weird to me. I thought it looked nice too, but all the characters had odd facial expressions. Like some were facing odd directions, others had weird mouth shapes.

Then he got put on real series and it was then that his shortcuts really got to me. I still love :OFACE: Invisible woman from one of those "Land Sucks" sites.

e:Found it

This image has now convinced me that Keegan-Michael Key would be a great Professor X.

Joramun posted:

One of the best TV dramas of all time (Person of Interest) airs on Tuesdays. If at this point you're still not watching that, you have only yourself to blame.

Fooz posted:

No way to catch up!
It's on Amazon Instant isn't it?

PittTheElder posted:

Exactly how I feel. Work took us to Iron Man 3, and the only thing I remember is people turning into melty fire guys, and then having a fight with lots of Iron Mans. And that the President was also in an Iron Man suit at one point.
The President always has an Iron Man suit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE_T4eAzuA4&t=21s

Aphrodite posted:

Cap 2 didn't do anything to direct people to Agents of SHIELD, so I'm not surprised there wasn't a bump.

VDay posted:

Not too surprising to see the ratings continue to sink considering that the show went off the air for like a month just to line up with TWS, only to not really have any kind of marketing push for it once TWS actually came out. The last couple of episodes have been really good, but the show still has to prove that it can carry the TWS momentum by itself before I actually recommend it to people. I mean, even the episodes right before these last two were preeeeetty dumb I thought, so it's not like there's been a steady improvement since Day 1 or anything like that. And it still doesn't excuse the fact that this show has been on the air for like 7 months and is just now getting interesting.
Actually in the showing I went to, ads for Agents of SHIELD: UPRISING that tied it into Captain America aired during the commercials that run before the trailers. Of course if no one showed up early then no one would notice.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I wish Avengers came out when I was 8. :smith:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Austrian mook posted:

I wish Avengers came out when I was 8. :smith:

It's all about suspending the cynicism and embracing the shininess and the pew-pew. Let fun poo poo be fun, gently caress it!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Don't you really mean you wish you were eight years old?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So how much are people loosing their poo poo about the Game of Thrones spoiler in the FYAD header?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

scary ghost dog posted:

Don't you really mean you wish you were eight years old?

Probably? Being 8 was a good time, no bills to pay, no romance to fret about, no job. :sigh:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PriorMarcus posted:

So how much are people loosing their poo poo about the Game of Thrones spoiler in the FYAD header?

Probably nobody, because everyone was already spoiled by the two dozen other ways that stuff was already posted in some way on SA.

Read the books, don't get hit by ambush-spoilers then and bitch with us for years how lovely GRRM is and how much we hate him until we buy his next book and read it in less than a day.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man, I'm happy I've never read the GOT books sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Or don't let your life revolve around hating something.

• Locked thread