Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Well now I just feel terrible about gigging gar in the backwaters if the Mississippi when I was a kid. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
We didn't have gar but I needlessly killed tons of poo poo as a boy. Gigged frogs, shot birds with bb guns...it's what you do when you know better that counts. ;)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, there's still time to atone. Pretty much every kid that spent most of his time outside killed lots of stuff.

Vintage fishing films!
Bonefish on the fly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-9ypTIaz5g

Tarpon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wd6tCgYpMA

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Grouper season opened this weekend here! The wife is out of town for a week and the neighbor has a 25 foot sportcraft. Now I just have to convince him to take me out. I'm thinking homemade cheesecake might do the trick. Perhaps I can mow his lawn.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here's some flies I tied and hipstergrammed. Getting ready for sunfish spawning.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Nice! There's also an instagrammy app solely for fly tying, flyflasher.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hello fishing thread!

Until last week I have never been fishing but now I am pretty obsessed. I was in Miami for work and some of the guys on my crew took me into some swamp and we spent a while fishing for mangrove snapper. It was just insanely fun and I am totally hooked.

I live in MD, specifically southern Ann Arundel county. I live on a farm with a ~1 acre pond that was stocked with catfish about 2-4 years back and then never fished much. My eventual goal is to get a kayak so I can fish from that. My job is pretty much travel based so I end up with a ton of weekdays off and fishing seems perfect for that.

I went out to get a license today and ended up buying a small rod and spinning reel. The clerk was super helpful, also recommended the "Fishing for Dummies" book as a god intro and told me to read it before I freak out and spend a ton of money. When I explained the deal with the pond and suggested that I was more or less ready to freak out he laughed and said that if I really was super super hot to jump in (and boy I was/am) he would get me a set-up so I could go fish the pond this week.

I told him I wanted to spend around $100 and he got me a bunch of gear that came in around $80. He wound the reel for me and did some basic casting lessons and told me to get out there and fish, then come back if I'm still into it and he will be more then happy to sell me piles of crap. It was raining too hard to get any outdoor casting lessons in but I think I sort of grasp how to do it. Once the rain slacks off today I am going to go tie the leader thingy on and go practice casing in the yard a bit.

Very excited to fish!

If anyone is from this area and can offer and advice and/or tips I would appreciate the poo poo out if it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Hello fishing thread!

Until last week I have never been fishing but now I am pretty obsessed. I was in Miami for work and some of the guys on my crew took me into some swamp and we spent a while fishing for mangrove snapper. It was just insanely fun and I am totally hooked.

I live in MD, specifically southern Ann Arundel county. I live on a farm with a ~1 acre pond that was stocked with catfish about 2-4 years back and then never fished much. My eventual goal is to get a kayak so I can fish from that. My job is pretty much travel based so I end up with a ton of weekdays off and fishing seems perfect for that.

I went out to get a license today and ended up buying a small rod and spinning reel. The clerk was super helpful, also recommended the "Fishing for Dummies" book as a god intro and told me to read it before I freak out and spend a ton of money. When I explained the deal with the pond and suggested that I was more or less ready to freak out he laughed and said that if I really was super super hot to jump in (and boy I was/am) he would get me a set-up so I could go fish the pond this week.

I told him I wanted to spend around $100 and he got me a bunch of gear that came in around $80. He wound the reel for me and did some basic casting lessons and told me to get out there and fish, then come back if I'm still into it and he will be more then happy to sell me piles of crap. It was raining too hard to get any outdoor casting lessons in but I think I sort of grasp how to do it. Once the rain slacks off today I am going to go tie the leader thingy on and go practice casing in the yard a bit.

Very excited to fish!

If anyone is from this area and can offer and advice and/or tips I would appreciate the poo poo out if it.

A 1 acre pond is a great size to fish. My parents have one behind their house that is about that size. Do you know the depth of the pond? I'm not sure what your winters are like in Maryland but if it gets pretty cold and freezes, you'll need more water depth or the fish will die from lack of oxygen.

Also, the depth will determine what types of lures you'll use if you're running crank baits and at what depth you set a bobber if your float fishing.

That said, as a general rule on ponds, I've found that "points point out fish". Meaning that if there is a natural point that juts out into the pond somewhere, try fishing around that area. Also, if there are any other naturally "different" spots in the pond...say a spot where the depth changes abruptly or a spot where run off or a stream enters the pond, those would be good places to try.

If the only fish in the pond are catfish, it limits the type of fishing. Catfish typically won't bite as much on artificial lures like crank baits or spinner baits (Though they certainly will at times).

Typically, people fish for catfish by throwing bait on the bottom or suspending it from a bobber. When I've bottom fished for catfish, I've typically used stink bait, which is just that...nasty stinky gooey stuff that looks like peanut butter and smells like death. You can buy these type of dip baits that you stick down in the stink bait:

If you're going to fish them on the bottom, you'll want to add a sinker most likely to be able to cast out a bit further. Something like below:

You can also use what's called a slip bobber. They allow you to suspend your bait at a certain depth which you set by moving a slide above the bobber on the line. This is my preferred method of fishing for catfish:

You can use stink bait with a slip bobber as well. Nightcrawlers tend to work well as does cut bait (cut up pieces of small fish like bluegill). The other thing that I've had luck with in ponds is just putting a plain hook on, say 3/0 in size and hooking a live small bluegill through the tail. I've caught a lot of large catfish this way.

That should give you an idea of baits to use. The other thing with catfish is that you typically want heavier rod/reel and line. They fight well for their size and have a tendency to spin when hooked and can cut your line or snap it.

Catfish also generally examine and take the bait slowly so if you see your bobber, line or end of your pole move slightly, wait for just a few seconds before you set the hook.

Once you've caught one, make sure you avoid their side and top fin as they'll cut ya and they have a sort of semi-poisonous substance kind of like getting scratched by a cat. Doesn't do any real harm but stings like hell. For the smaller catfish, you can grip them with your pointer finger and thumb just behind their top fin. There are some indentions there that allow for a decent grip.

I started fishing as a kid catching catfish on a lake we'd go to every year. We would sit out on the beach and throw stink bait out on the bottom.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Catfish love raw chicken liver.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Scrapez posted:

A 1 acre pond is a great size to fish. My parents have one behind their house that is about that size. Do you know the depth of the pond? I'm not sure what your winters are like in Maryland but if it gets pretty cold and freezes, you'll need more water depth or the fish will die from lack of oxygen.

No idea, I suspect it isn't very deep, there are a few boats in various states of decay, if I can get one to float I will try and paddle out and see how far a line drops. It was insanely cold this winter, like the coldest I can remember. The pond did freeze solid enough to skate on.

Scrapez posted:

Also, the depth will determine what types of lures you'll use if you're running crank baits and at what depth you set a bobber if your float fishing.

That said, as a general rule on ponds, I've found that "points point out fish". Meaning that if there is a natural point that juts out into the pond somewhere, try fishing around that area. Also, if there are any other naturally "different" spots in the pond...say a spot where the depth changes abruptly or a spot where run off or a stream enters the pond, those would be good places to try.

If the only fish in the pond are catfish, it limits the type of fishing. Catfish typically won't bite as much on artificial lures like crank baits or spinner baits (Though they certainly will at times).

Typically, people fish for catfish by throwing bait on the bottom or suspending it from a bobber. When I've bottom fished for catfish, I've typically used stink bait, which is just that...nasty stinky gooey stuff that looks like peanut butter and smells like death. You can buy these type of dip baits that you stick down in the stink bait:

If you're going to fish them on the bottom, you'll want to add a sinker most likely to be able to cast out a bit further. Something like below:

This is method the guy set me up for, maybe a 1/2oz sinker at the bottom of this metal wire deal that I then attached the hook too. I used cut up chicken livers tied up in cheese cloth, again, per this dude. He said the weight was too heavy but would be good to help me cast further at first. He was right, I was amazed how far I could fling that thing.

Scrapez posted:

You can also use what's called a slip bobber. They allow you to suspend your bait at a certain depth which you set by moving a slide above the bobber on the line. This is my preferred method of fishing for catfish:

You can use stink bait with a slip bobber as well. Nightcrawlers tend to work well as does cut bait (cut up pieces of small fish like bluegill). The other thing that I've had luck with in ponds is just putting a plain hook on, say 3/0 in size and hooking a live small bluegill through the tail. I've caught a lot of large catfish this way.

That should give you an idea of baits to use. The other thing with catfish is that you typically want heavier rod/reel and line. They fight well for their size and have a tendency to spin when hooked and can cut your line or snap it.

Catfish also generally examine and take the bait slowly so if you see your bobber, line or end of your pole move slightly, wait for just a few seconds before you set the hook.

I already lost one set of hook and metal wire dealy when it became snagged on something on the bottom of the pond. I might go out tomorrow morning and buy a bobber and set it so the bait is only a foot or so below the water line until I can measure the depth of the pond better.

Scrapez posted:

Once you've caught one, make sure you avoid their side and top fin as they'll cut ya and they have a sort of semi-poisonous substance kind of like getting scratched by a cat. Doesn't do any real harm but stings like hell. For the smaller catfish, you can grip them with your pointer finger and thumb just behind their top fin. There are some indentions there that allow for a decent grip.

I started fishing as a kid catching catfish on a lake we'd go to every year. We would sit out on the beach and throw stink bait out on the bottom.

Yeah, the guy said to bring a pair of thin leather gloves along because of that.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Catfish love raw chicken liver.

Man so does my dog, he freaked out when I came inside with a blooded rag through my belt.

General questions:
  • Will rain affect my chances of getting a catfish or fish in general to bite? It has been raining for days and started up pretty good when I was out this afternoon.
  • What time of day is best for catfish?
  • I quickly realized the random milsurp shoulder bag I grabbed to put my stuff in was subpar. I would love a small cooler/tacklebox that has a shoulder strap and is strong enough to sit on. I cannot resist hiking around (found an awesome rodent skull today) and want something that I can carry for a while. Def something large enough to hold a sixpack or maybe a 12-14" fish? I have a bigger cooler already for when I fish out of my car.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

bunnielab posted:

General questions:
[*]Will rain affect my chances of getting a catfish or fish in general to bite? It has been raining for days and started up pretty good when I was out this afternoon.

Maybe. Sometimes rain can be good, sometimes it can turn off the fish. It's really more about the atmospheric conditions than the raindrops themselves. Cold fronts generally turn off the fish bite where warm fronts have a tendency to turn them on.

There is a huge science to it and magazines and fisherman get really super crazy about fishing when the moon phases, barometric pressure, temperature, cloud cover, etc, etc, etc are just perfect.

To be honest, unless there's a big cold front, I wouldn't worry about it. At worst, you'll drink a 6 pack and catch no fish.

The only time I would say this wouldn't apply is if it's rained so much that it has clouded up the water a whole bunch. Even then, you might catch catfish as they typically rely on their smell to feed.

bunnielab posted:

[*]What time of day is best for catfish?

Depends. Generally fish feed most near dawn and dusk but it just depends on the time of year, how the recent weather has been, etc. Catfish love feeding at night. I've caught more catfish during the night than during the day.

Usually early in the spring, the fish will bite better in late afternoon from my experience. Once the water gets warmed up a bit by the day's sun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Cool, I can 100% go out there at night more or less whenever. I might head out later tonight or get up super early tomorrow morning. I have a pile of wine corks I can make bobbers out of I guess.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bunnielab posted:

Will rain affect my chances of getting a catfish or fish in general to bite? It has been raining for days and started up pretty good when I was out this afternoon.

Depending on water depth, rain may or may not affect catfish much. Rain on the surface of the water itself is not much of an issue to fish that feed in the middle to the bottom of the water column. The barometric pressure is going to be the bigger factor. Like Scrapez said, it's pretty variable and plenty of anglers get way too worked up about it and no predictor is right all the time. If you want to go fishing, just go.

quote:

What time of day is best for catfish?

I used to catfish primarily at night. I would swear to you up and down that it was best at night because I went at night and caught fish then. Then I started going during the day, in the morning, in the evening, and always caught catfish. I personally think it's more fun at night and in the evening. But evening is a pretty good time for most freshwater fish species.

quote:

I quickly realized the random milsurp shoulder bag I grabbed to put my stuff in was subpar. I would love a small cooler/tacklebox that has a shoulder strap and is strong enough to sit on. I cannot resist hiking around (found an awesome rodent skull today) and want something that I can carry for a while. Def something large enough to hold a sixpack or maybe a 12-14" fish? I have a bigger cooler already for when I fish out of my car.

Go to a burger restaurant (or any restaurant, really) and ask if they have square 3 - 5 gallon condiment buckets. I've almost never been turned down asking for a free bucket with a lid from a restaurant. Go at like 3:00, not a meal time. Get some small clear tackle boxes like this http://tinyurl.com/l6j3xwb. They're cheap, come in all sizes, and can be got at Wal Mart, bait shops, wherever. Put your little tackle boxes in your milsurp bag and stuff it in the bucket with some beers and lunch. Sit on the bucket and fish. Put your fish in the bucket when you're done.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Go to a burger restaurant (or any restaurant, really) and ask if they have square 3 - 5 gallon condiment buckets. I've almost never been turned down asking for a free bucket with a lid from a restaurant. Go at like 3:00, not a meal time. Get some small clear tackle boxes like this http://tinyurl.com/l6j3xwb. They're cheap, come in all sizes, and can be got at Wal Mart, bait shops, wherever. Put your little tackle boxes in your milsurp bag and stuff it in the bucket with some beers and lunch. Sit on the bucket and fish. Put your fish in the bucket when you're done.

I had thought of using a 5g bucket actually, but that will be a pain to carry and my bag is murse sized. I have an old frame backpack, I might be able to fit a little cooler in there or make some hellish hillbilly rig to attach a bucket to that. In fact, I like that idea a lot.

This is what I was thinking of:

But like somehow a sit-able and somehow not junk and somehow not super heavy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Boom http://www.5gpack.com/
You could rig one of these with enough webbing and some patience.

I put a shoulder strap on mine, swiped from a duffle bag or something. I also just toss whatever little tackle boxes I'm using that day in the bucket loose, minus a man purse.

Empty pack frames can be got from milsurp stores or ebay or wherever.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Boom http://www.5gpack.com/
You could rig one of these with enough webbing and some patience.

I put a shoulder strap on mine, swiped from a duffle bag or something. I also just toss whatever little tackle boxes I'm using that day in the bucket loose, minus a man purse.

Empty pack frames can be got from milsurp stores or ebay or wherever.

Ah man that is great. I have the frame, bucket, and even the webbing I think. But at the same time, the fancy one with the side pouches is kinda cool.

The net seems full of awesome poo poo along these lines:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Welp, just found my next project.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Welp, just found my next project.

I am thinking double sided velcro rather then webbing. I think I have enough around here to mock something up.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ever since I moved from Florida to North Carolina I have targeted catfish almost exclusively and moved away from bass fishing. Here are some basic points (for channel catfish, although much of this can be applied to blues):

(1) Depending on the time of year (summer) fishing at night is the best because catfish roam and actively prowl flats for food. The most productive flats (areas where there is little change in water depth) are adjacent to deep holes and the old river channel in reservoirs. If you find a good spot in a flat next to deep water at night you're usually good.

(1a) When it comes to fishing during the day, the bite is slower, but fish tend to stack up in more consistent patterns (particularly in summer). Again, the key is the best and deepest holes, usually just out of current if current is present.

If you are fishing in a river or creek, there is an easy pattern to go by to find catfish. Riffle-Hole-Run. This pattern is prevalent in any moving body of water, really. In a small creek you'll notice where the current breaks the surface near shallower water -- this is a riffle -- and the surface downstream of it will be scoured out by the current to create a hole which eventually tapers out into the flat surface, the run, which eventually leads to another riffle. Target holes, especially the deepest and the ones with the most cover (like fallen trees and branches and poo poo) as well as the most diverse structural features holes near bends are particularly attractive).

This pattern tends to replicate itself in reservoirs but you really have to know what's going on underneath the water to figure out where the best holes are. Understanding this basic riffle-hole-run pattern is probably the simplest, most important, and most generalizable aspect of catfishing.

Time of Year

(2) Channel catfish follow seasonal patterns of movement, moreso than Blue or Flathead catfish. When the water warms to the 60s and low 70s in spring they are usually most active, especially during the day. They are on the move and trying to get as much food as possible now that it's warm out and they're fixing to spawn. You can catch fish just about anywhere but water that warms faster than other water with large sources baitfish tend to be your best bets. Shallow water fishing during the day works good this time of year given the right conditions and this is also the case during similar periods in the Fall.

During the Summer a more predictable pattern emerges, where the fish tend to consolidate in the deepest holes during the day and prowl adjacent flats during the night. Most people swear by night fishing during the summer but the bite is actually much better during the day if you can locate the fish -- this is because they tend to stack up. A similar pattern of consolidation in deep holes occurs during winter, although it is more pronounced.

Bait
(3) People have a lot of strange notions about catfish bait. Fresh cut baitfish is almost always the best choice, regardless of season. People use fish like shad, suckers, carp, sunfish, etc. For bigger channel cats (up to double digits) you want to use the whole live fish.

If you want to go with grocery store baits or whatever, chicken livers do work great for small-eatable size fish, but they are not the best option. I've used gauze to keep the livers on the hook but they are still a pain in the rear end and will get pecked to death by little fish and you'll lose your bait a lot. Bigger fish will hit it too but you'd be better off going with something else. Also, contrary to popular belief, you don't have to let your bait rot so it smells stronger -- catfish don't have the same sense of smell as us.

Most catfish enthusiasts I know of today (see catfish1.com) have begun to swear by CBMIGP as the goto grocery store bait. All it is is cut up chicken breast (or gizzards or whatever) marinated overnight in garlic powder and olive oil. Works best for blue catfish but also channel catfish. I generally catch bigger fish more consistently with this, it can be frozen and used again so it is economical, and it stays on the hook. Use "half dollar" size cuts of CBMIGP when fish are feeding actively (such as at night) and quarter size pieces when they are less active.

Avoid pastes and doughs from baitshops as well as preserved baits you can buy at stores like those packaged shad. Chicken gizzards are cheaper and work better when turned into CBMIGP -- but if you're just fishing in a one acre pond all you probably need is a hot dog for bait. Catfish in small ponds love hot dogs.

A lot of people seem to like to bury the hook in the bait so it's hidden but a catfish doesn't know what a hook is so it's usually best to leave as much of the tip and whatnot exposed as far as conditions will allow.

Tackle/Presentation/Etc.
(4) I won't say much here. Use circle hooks, size six probably being the smallest you'd want to use. You don't have to set the hook with these. Just let the fish take the bait and they're hooked. The simplest rig to use is a carolina rig or a slip bobber rig, but it doesn't really have to get much more complicated than this, although it is generally better to keep the bait just off the bottom than on the bottom. I mostly fish reservoirs and I like to drift with a carolina rig where a small float is placed a few inches from the hook so your rig is on the bottom but your bait still floats up a bit.

Well that's about all I can think of for now. If you really get into catfishing you might find it's a lot more fun than bass fishing since you seem to catch more and bigger fish more consistently (once you graduate from just tossing chicken livers into a pond) plus they pull way harder, although they don't jump and dart around as much so most people still think of bass as "better" fighters.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 9, 2014

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would never catch a catfish on purpose. That said, I've caught sail cats on super spooks, lil jons, DOA cal shads and of course shrimp or cut bait. Once I caught one under a bridge at night on a glow paddle tail and it puked out like 20 baby catfish about 2" in length, possibly it's own offspring.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Sail cats are good eating if you catch them out of clean water without a muddy bottom. They taste kind of beefy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tesilential posted:

I would never catch a catfish on purpose. That said, I've caught sail cats on super spooks, lil jons, DOA cal shads and of course shrimp or cut bait. Once I caught one under a bridge at night on a glow paddle tail and it puked out like 20 baby catfish about 2" in length, possibly it's own offspring.
Look at this guy what's too good for catfish. Sailcats are mouth-brooders. They males hatch their young in their mouth and keep them there until they can make it on their own/get too big.

Some more flies.

I got some cat fur for the dubbing from my friend's cat Bender, so this is the Neon Bender. A Rhyacophilid caddis imitation.

Squirrel tail streamer

Wasp

Quick and dirty stonefly.

Crayfish

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 10, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Saw this guy out in the swamp park today, about a foot long, sharing a flat bit of underwater grass with a half dozen smallish bluegill.

Is this a largemouth bass?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Largemouth or spotted. Where?

Here's a largemouth I caught on a red, black, and white wooly bugger.

The water is finally warming up.

edit: tables drat

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 11, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

A watershed pond in southern Illinois. Used to be a sewer pond before it got rehabilitated about 10 years back, so it is neat to see what comes back as the eutrophication drops. 5 years ago it was carp and nothing, now bluegills and bass.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
It's a largemouth, then. It was probably keeping tabs on those juvenile bluegills for lunch later.

It is neat to see what rolls in as watersheds recover, you see all kinds of things you had no idea existed in your area as they repopulate the area.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Here's a largemouth I caught on a red, black, and white wooly bugger.

The water is finally warming up.

Nice Pflueger!

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 11, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Armed Neutrality posted:

Nice Pflueger!

Thanks. It was my dad's about 30 years ago. I bought a brand new one a couple years ago for my girlfriend and took them apart next to each other. There were absolutely no differences between them except the old one has a nicer mother-or-pearl handle. Don't fix what ain't broke, I guess.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Having one with a little history is even better. They're a little hard to come by here in Europe, otherwise I'd have a few beat up vintage ones for my older glass rods by now. :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Some Other Guy posted:

Catfish essay

Awesome stuff man, thanks.

Behold my first Fish!

My second came soon after, it was even smaller if you can believe that. Not bad for 4 hours wandering around by a lake. Sadly the lake on the farm didnt pan out at all. I did see some small fish today so hopefully they will come back.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
So I've got the opportunity to fish a several acre marsh/lake that has pretty much no fishing pressure because it's in the middle of nowhere in a wildlife area.

I talked to one of the DNR employees out there today, and he brings his kids to a similar little pond near there and he says they get bites as soon as they throw in bait. The marsh itself has tons of waterfowl in it, including some fishing birds, so there's gotta be fish in there.

It's a bit of a hike in, so I might be rigging up some sort of frankenpack like Bunnielab, but my more pressing question is what fish are likely to be in a marsh in the Great Lakes area? I'd like to bring a selective set of tackle with me. At one point it looks like it was fed by one of the larger rivers working into Lake Erie around here, but a dike has been put up to keep the two bodies separate now.

The area in question, for some sort of reference: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grand+River+Wildlife+Area/@41.4130991,-80.9140397,2233m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x440b63945c201886

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

stealie72 posted:

So I've got the opportunity to fish a several acre marsh/lake that has pretty much no fishing pressure because it's in the middle of nowhere in a wildlife area.

I talked to one of the DNR employees out there today, and he brings his kids to a similar little pond near there and he says they get bites as soon as they throw in bait. The marsh itself has tons of waterfowl in it, including some fishing birds, so there's gotta be fish in there.

It's a bit of a hike in, so I might be rigging up some sort of frankenpack like Bunnielab, but my more pressing question is what fish are likely to be in a marsh in the Great Lakes area? I'd like to bring a selective set of tackle with me. At one point it looks like it was fed by one of the larger rivers working into Lake Erie around here, but a dike has been put up to keep the two bodies separate now.

The area in question, for some sort of reference: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grand+River+Wildlife+Area/@41.4130991,-80.9140397,2233m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x440b63945c201886

I'd bet on several centrarchids. Bluegills, green sunfish, largemouth bass, other sunfish. They're pretty ubiquitous in marshes and backwaters, and usually catchable. Spotted gar are in the area, but not the most numerous or catchable. Uhhhh, perch maybe? Bullheads and maybe other catfishes.

Spinners, grubs, spoons, live bait.

Hope that helps a little, but someone who fishes the area should have more specific advice for you.

I recommend getting a copy of Freshwater Fishes of North America by Page and Burr. Anybody that fishes should have a copy, actually. Goo illustrations, habitat and diet information, range maps, etc.

Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.

stealie72 posted:

Great Lake goon reporting. As my friend above mentioned, I would expect crappie, bluegill, catfish, and carp predominately. Carp are everywhere. Largemouth may be there too, but you never know.
You mentioned the tributary stream being cordoned off, so I would worry about the oxygen level. If there is no fresh water entering the lake/marsh, large fish (catfish/carp withstanding) can have a hard time thriving.

As a personal aside, my father and I hit a beautiful trout stream for opening day this year. This is not something we've done before. Ordinarily we fish large waters for walleye, bass and pike. The stream was stocked on three separate occasions from hatcheries nearby, so we anticipated a lively day. We were rather surprised when we hit our limit within 30 minutes. It felt more like infanticide than fishing. Native trout have great eyesight and a reputation for being spooky and difficult to catch. The hatchery trout were like coy in a pond at feeding time. It all seemed very unsporting.

Bell the Cat fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 14, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

stealie72 posted:

Here's what I would do:

There's a ton of shallow vegetated water in that lake. From the sat imagery, the best sunfish breeding habitat is probably in the two areas I've circled. The one to the west looks a little more ideal. There's lots of veg and land/water matrix to provide cover from too much current and wind while providing a lot of necessary structure and substrate for bedding and spawning. The area to the east appears to be somewhat of a trib to the lake and some fresh water and nutrient input will be coming through there. I'm not sure how far that area is behind the southern half of the country, but sunfish are bedding and spawning in shallow water elsewhere right now. If I were after catfish or bigger bass, I'd fish the channel along the dike and the deeper portion in the north section. Also, walking that dike and throwing jigs/live bait into brush piles and other woody debris might fetch you some crappie. Keep an eye out for some kind of culvert through the dike from the river to the lake. I bet there's one there. If you find it, there will be some fish at the end of it foraging on the little guys coming through from the river. edit: This may be one here:

That lake looks pretty prime for getting around with a belly boat or canoe/kayak, so I'd put my hands on one if I were you.

Bell the Cat posted:

It felt more like infanticide than fishing. Native trout have great eyesight and a reputation for being spooky and difficult to catch. The hatchery trout were like coy in a pond at feeding time. It all seemed very unsporting.

Fishing stockers does get old pretty quick. It's nice to get into a mess of them when you're meat fishing, but it's just not very interesting.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 14, 2014

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really need to post some of the [awesome] fish I caught this winter. I caught at least 5 slot snook and maybe 10 slot reds. Released almost all of them safely.

Now that Spring is here things are going to get serious! I already had a BIG snook straighten out one of my owner weedless hooks and caught a nice FAT 25" red later that day. I kept him to make my famous Redfish stew, which I make from scratch using the head and spine to make the stock.

Redfish and snook have been all over the flats the past couple weeks of hot weather, and I spooked probably 5 reds in potholes on saturday, only getting one to even follow my lure (that I know of). They are really spooky about lures coming towards them, they will scram immediately.

I want to get into fly fishing this summer, because the afternoon low tides are like shooting fish in a barrel, the redfish tail almost every night and I go almost daily after work.

Does anyone have any good [cheap] fly rod and reel recommendations? I will be targeting redfish and snook, hard fighting fish that I commonly catch weighing from 6-15 pounds. I think typical gear is an 8 weight setup with floating line.

I also want my own vice (been using my roommates to tie bucktails and skimmer jigs), is there anything decent under $100?

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
What's your budget like?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo man, can I post my lake and get some advice like that?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Holy poo poo man, can I post my lake and get some advice like that?
Seriously. I was expecting "yeah, there's probably some catfish in there somewhere" but as usual, goons delivered hardcore.

It will probably be a few weeks before I get out there, but when I do, anything I catch will be dedicated to all of you. :hfive:

Now I just have to figure out how to get a cooler back there. Though, anything I catch I will probably just clean/fillet there, so it's a matter of getting enough ice so that I can do that. Worst case, I can just put the whole/cut fish into some ziplocks and throw them on ice in the car. It's only like a 20 minute walk from the farthest edge of the marsh to the parking area.

As for a Kayak, I don't have one at the moment, but I kind of want to get one, and if that turns out to be some insanely great secret spot, I might consider humping one in. But see above re 20 minute walk. The "road" shown on the map is closed to anything but DNR trucks.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 15, 2014

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

What's your budget like?

I'm trying to keep it around $200ish for rod reel and fly line. I already have 2 nice flats spinning setups, and the fly rod will get much less use because it's usually super windy. I might look around for a decent used setup rather than get some cheap kit, unless those are decent nowadays? I'd ask my roommate but he walked into a fly shop and spent a G on his rig and has no idea whats good on the low end. He then broke the tip on his Sage and had it out of commission for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
In a week or two more it will be much nicer to fish off the pier. Blues are going to be spawning soon! Enough of this flounder crap