Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

serious gaylord posted:

Liberated from a GW store when they were switching to the new racking. Always pays to ask!

Although I cant fit the VMA paints in there which I'm starting to accumulate at a frightening speed.

I'm jealous of your paint collection. The rack didn't come with all the paint did it? :v:

Cooked Auto posted:

What is the easiest way to magnetize a Leman Russ to allow both its normal guns as well as the Demolisher guns?
As I noticed today that the barrel mount for the both tanks are completely different which kind of soured my initial plan of magnetizing my next tank to allow it to mount the spare Demolisher weapons I've got over.
Or am I just better off buying a second Demolisher and Magnetizing that instead?

I tried trying off the Demolisher gun off its mount after having it be in the freezer for a couple of hours with no success if anyone is going to suggest that approach.

The mounts are dissimilar enough that it's not really worth trying to make them compatible. That said it's pretty easy to magnetize the two halves of a Leman Russ turret so that you can just pop the top off and slip in whatever gun you want to use. I can post pictures of the way I did mine if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm jealous of your paint collection. The rack didn't come with all the paint did it? :v:

No, but the scary thought is thats only the GW paints. The vallejo and P3 stuff I keep in draws.

I've converted up a Scion to be a door sniper for my Valkyrie. Needs a bit more GS work to smooth out the joins and to give him a seat and safety rope, but I'm really enjoying this.

I have plans for this bird.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

The mounts are dissimilar enough that it's not really worth trying to make them compatible. That said it's pretty easy to magnetize the two halves of a Leman Russ turret so that you can just pop the top off and slip in whatever gun you want to use. I can post pictures of the way I did mine if you want.

Once I get my hands on a new Leman Russ kit I just might do that then. Right now I've got a Chimera hopefully arriving next week that screams to be painted so any LR plans will have to wait.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

The Supreme Court posted:

Thanks! I'm basically using a colour scheme I found here: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=287417 , only with caution stripes. Took me rather a lot of tries to get a white and red mix I was satisfied with! Thought that scheme made for some nicely striking models.

Was scrolling through some old posts and found this from ages ago, anything happen with it, Dr Clockwork? It looked awesome!

Unfortunately, as many of my game projects do, it fell by the wayside after some rough playtests and other things coming up. I still have my ships though, so perhaps I'll dust them off at some point and get back into it.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

serious gaylord posted:

No, but the scary thought is thats only the GW paints. The vallejo and P3 stuff I keep in draws.

I've converted up a Scion to be a door sniper for my Valkyrie. Needs a bit more GS work to smooth out the joins and to give him a seat and safety rope, but I'm really enjoying this.

I have plans for this bird.

Valkyries are my favourite thing to paint, seriously. My brother got me to paint a squadron of them to match the original Decepticon jets and it was a blast the whole way through. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So, in the current White Dwarf, Jervis wrote an article about painting a "one-off". So I was all like, "gently caress it. Imma paint a muhfukin one-off tonight." Check it, bitches:

poo poo was tight. Commissars are both easy and fun to paint. Took me about 2 and a half hours. Jayson Werth's 8th inning salami may have extended this paintjob's duration.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Asphyxious posted:

Valkyries are my favourite thing to paint, seriously. My brother got me to paint a squadron of them to match the original Decepticon jets and it was a blast the whole way through. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!
Please, please post pictures of those. I need to see Imperial Seekers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Liberated from a GW store when they were switching to the new racking. Always pays to ask!

Although I cant fit the VMA paints in there which I'm starting to accumulate at a frightening speed.

I'm so jelly. But if you want a certain paint, do you have to keep pulling out other colors until the one you want drops out of the rack?

The Sex Cannon posted:

So, in the current White Dwarf, Jervis wrote an article about painting a "one-off". So I was all like, "gently caress it. Imma paint a muhfukin one-off tonight." Check it, bitches:

Sick work.

Is that what painting a "one-off" is? Just doing up a bad-rear end looking Commissar for the gently caress of it?

HerrMorden
Sep 5, 2004

Thought begets Heresy, Heresy begets Retribution.

The Sex Cannon posted:

poo poo was tight. Commissars are both easy and fun to paint. Took me about 2 and a half hours. Jayson Werth's 8th inning salami may have extended this paintjob's duration.

I love this. Where did you get the face mask?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

SRM posted:

Please, please post pictures of those. I need to see Imperial Seekers.

unfortunately I only have pics of Thundercracker, and I have no idea when I'll get a chance to photograph the other two.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Great stuff!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice earlier in the thread (especially SRM), been really helpful. Anyway here's a chosen Ive been working for The Independent Characters 2014 Hobby Progress Challenge. I also discovered the wonder that is Blood for the Blood God.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
How do you get that particular effect with the blood paint? Drybrushing or painting streaks on with regular brushes?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

How do you get that particular effect with the blood paint? Drybrushing or painting streaks on with regular brushes?

Hope this helps a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRBq7GVnJM

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
I just use regular brushes and as I reach the end of my brushstroke I flick the brush upwards quickly to give it that kind of streaking.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

HerrMorden posted:

I love this. Where did you get the face mask?

It's the official Steel Legion commissar. He's identical to another commissar sculpt except that he has the sweet mask.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I can't believe I've spent a whole day's painting on a single arm. I am never going to finish this miniature.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
been awhile since i painted anything, but about a year ago I started playing a D&D campaign with some friends at work and my character (a monkey cleric cursed prince of an ancient monkey kingdom) was too funny not to make into a mini

not perfect, still a lot I could do/fix/polish/improve. but for a mini that'll get a fair amount of handling and was kinda spur of the moment anyway it's fun. It's a light conversion of Reaper's Pathfinder Halfling Bard mini(whatever his name is). Both his tail and staff are a slightly thicker gauge jewelry wire

edit: worth noting this is probably the smallest mini i've ever painted. It's a 28mm scale halfling, so the whole thing is smaller than my thumb

treeboy fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 10, 2014

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Pacheeco posted:

Ghost Tints: they're "candy paint", they are highly saturated transparent paint with some kind of special formula that makes them different from regular acrylic paint. They're made to be airbrushed on so you can control the amount of color saturation and do cool blending. You can also brush it on but unless you go super light, brushing it on is basically full color saturation. You can apply them over different base colors to change your ending color and also do pre-washing because the wash will show through the tint. They do work as glazes but they are really dense pigment so you would have to play with thinning them so that the glaze doesn't just overpower the base. You can also change the brightness/darkness on the undercoat to create shading for tints; "zenithal priming" works incredibly well for Ghost Tints. You can also apply them over metallics (silver specifically) to make colored metallics but if you go crazy your models will look like Christmas tree ornaments.

They take a long time to dry (I let them dry overnight) so you can't really apply it (airbrush or brush) and then be painting over it a few hours later, even if you just want to add more tint; you can end up tearing the tint off your model doing this. Also it MUST be sealed with gloss coat if you plan on painting over it, acrylic paints (any liquid basically) will make Ghost Tints re-constitute and bleed. Putting matte varnish on Ghost Tints flattens out the color a bit but can cause hazing for some reason.

I can set up some pictures of models I've painted with Ghost Tints both with airbrushing and brush-on if you want. They aren't anything fancy but I've used them in a few different applications (airbrushing, brush-on, power weapons, colored metallics, zeni-priming, etc). They are really useful paints even if they are a bit of a pain in the rear end to work with.

Would love to hear more about these and see some examples. I just got the whoel set and had no idea about the issues with other paints. So far I've used the Green and Purple and I like the effect (magic swords on Khador Doom Reavers).

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Oh lord, I didn't know this existed. Now I have to break my oath of neckbeard grudge and buy some GW technical paints. How do the Texture paints look?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's the official Steel Legion commissar. He's identical to another commissar sculpt except that he has the sweet mask.

Thanks for the assist. Also, I could not find this model on GW's (new and terrible) webstore this morning. Good thing I ordered it two weeks ago!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've been sick this week so I've managed to finish off this Wraithblade I've been painting for months. It's a test scheme for a possible Wraith-only army. Feedback very welcome:

Sorry the axe head is out of focus, it's a bronzey colour.

e: need to add static grass!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Commissar Kip posted:

Oh lord, I didn't know this existed. Now I have to break my oath of neckbeard grudge and buy some GW technical paints. How do the Texture paints look?

You can still get the same effect and keep your neckbeard oath with Tamiya Clear Red paint (and it's cheaper than GW too).

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Avenger_Mullah posted:

Love these! How did you do them?

Airbrushed them white, and worked upwards in shades lightest to darkest. lightest on sides, darker towards spines, with the stomach and spines being a different set of colors.

Tons of layers using extremely thin paint, first time using nuln oil. I also flicked the initial priming with a toothbrush to give it a speckled look with some very dark green.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Asphyxious posted:

unfortunately I only have pics of Thundercracker, and I have no idea when I'll get a chance to photograph the other two.

Still, owns. I'd love to see all three. Now you just need to convert three Valkyries into Knights and paint them to match! :v:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Harkano posted:

Would love to hear more about these and see some examples. I just got the whoel set and had no idea about the issues with other paints. So far I've used the Green and Purple and I like the effect (magic swords on Khador Doom Reavers).

Watch out for huge image dump!

GT Green (airbrushed) on Gray? primer with a Black Pre-Wash and then washed with Agrax

GT Plasma Fluid and Magenta (airbrushed) on White Primer w/ Black Pre-Wash

GT Plasma Fluid (airbrushed) on White w/ Black Pre-Wash; how heavy your pre-wash goes on really changes how the tint will come out

Pink part is GT Magenta (airbrushed) on pure white paint

The red parts are GT Fresh Blood (brushed on, multiple coats) over white primer w/ black wash, Hound fur is GT Brown on white primer w/ black wash, Yellow on sword is GT Yellow on white paint

Baal Pred is white base with black pre-shading and then going back over the model with white paint to clean up the shading and then airbrushing the entire thing with GT Fresh Blood

For the BA ASM I basically did Les' "I Hate Painting Red" video. The only problem is I didn't create enough white highlight spots so the models came out dark or maybe they are just dark because I can't find the motivation to finish painting them.

Furioso dread was all done with a gradient undercoat of black/gray/white and then airbrushed GT Fresh Blood. The blue on the claws is GT Plasma Fluid.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 10, 2014

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Post 9-11 User posted:

I'm agreeing with you not being a dick: it is decent but underwhelming. It could really use a contrasting color. Look at the photos in timg or just stand from a distance from the models, the colors are all dark therefore blend together. The bases look great, but there really could be a complimentary but contrasting color on the other parts of the model, consider a sand or cream color on the black panels.

I took the advice to heart and put some time into the Sentinels and I'm very happy with the results.

I added some Bleached Bone to the black panels and applied a Devlan Mud wash as well. I added Evil Suns Scarlet to the red, and washed with the Red Wash to take it back down in color but I really dig the muddy, washed out look the red armor has now. I patched up the blue on the windows and light and added some white parts to the Plasma Cannons so they could stand out more, especially at a distance.

I know I'm not a great painter, but man I love improving at it. As much as I'm a sucker for the Black/Red look I think these are way more interesting now. They really pop out from a distance now and that to me is the most important.

Thanks again for the advice. I knew posting here more would be a good idea.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've as good as finished a 1:35 scale German WWII Panther tank that I've been posting to the scale model thread that I thought I would cross post to here. I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out in the end.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

big_g posted:

I've as good as finished a 1:35 scale German WWII Panther tank that I've been posting to the scale model thread that I thought I would cross post to here. I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out in the end.

I agree, the Allies pulling off a win was a pretty good result.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I finally got around to borrowing a lightbox and taking some pics of this week's painting.

First up, a Big Mek and Bones Wight dude.

This week I have been mostly painting Bones Wizards. (technically the first three were painted a while ago but I only photo'd them today). My aim was to theme each one from a different WHFB College of Magic even though most of them will never see a Warhams game.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really love the mix of colours! D&D Schools right? :)

Also I'm looking for suggestions on how to assemble a box of Warhammer Empire Flagellants. I'm not building them for Warhammer, I'm trying to paint them as Silent Hill-themed monsters for a D&D game.

I'm thinking fiery heads and masked faces would be good monsters for the paladin, and someone in stocks for the monk. Maybe some Silent Hill fans have good ideas on monster design ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysvNGGFN3M

edit:Games workshop no longer shows the sprue pictures :/ sprue 1
sprue 2
sprue 3

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 10, 2014

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pacheeco posted:

Watch out for huge image dump!

I love the way your swords turned out. I was given a daemon prince but have been too afraid to touch it until I can do it right.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

big_g posted:

I like this, however I think the decals look too clean compared to the rest of the tank.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

serious gaylord posted:

I like this, however I think the decals look too clean compared to the rest of the tank.

Thanks. This often seems to happen when I photo white decals. They look better in person. They were put on directly after the base colours with microset and microsol and have received the same weathering and layers as the rest of the tank so are better blended in reality.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Weirdo posted:

I'm thinking fiery heads and masked faces would be good monsters for the paladin, and someone in stocks for the monk. Maybe some Silent Hill fans have good ideas on monster design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysvNGGFN3M

Ungh, chuff, chuff, funnghhhh my favorite plot, my trigger words, auuugh. The only good game in the series since then was Shattered Memories, (the third was good in an intensely visual but campy way) but still.

At least one really cool thing came from them, the Siam was an okay monster that became a jaw-dropping cosplay:

1 2

It's too big to be an infantry sized creature, though. Maybe these instead:

3 4

Each row from this set represents the first, second, and third games, respectively:

Hnnnghh what have you done. :goonsay:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Weirdo posted:

I love the way your swords turned out. I was given a daemon prince but have been too afraid to touch it until I can do it right.

Daemon Princes are actually pretty easy to paint. There's not a lot of small details and the organic nature of the model lends well to basecoat > wash > drybrush.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pacheeco posted:

Daemon Princes are actually pretty easy to paint. There's not a lot of small details and the organic nature of the model lends well to basecoat > wash > drybrush.

Good to hear actually. I got my start on some warham ogres and they were great for learning flesh on.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Hnnnghh what have you done. :goonsay:

~In my restless dreams, I see that town~

Good stuff, I never did get around to Silent Memories (console roommate moved out) but I'll have to check it out. It's a good thing I have a lot of dark browns and yellows to use for the industrial waste type motif. Also gotta grime up the weapons something fierce.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I made a thing!

And it takes pretty pictures! I'm not the best painter, but I feel like I'm getting better...

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

SRM posted:

Still, owns. I'd love to see all three. Now you just need to convert three Valkyries into Knights and paint them to match! :v:

What I'd love to do is get 3 knights, 3 more Valkyries then kitbash them together and paint them to match but fuuuuuuuuuck that's a lot of money.

I know essentially nothing about knights, is it true you can run a list that's JUST knights? If so, chances are I will eventually end up doing a transformer themed version of that list for my brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I made a thing!

And it takes pretty pictures! I'm not the best painter, but I feel like I'm getting better...

Nice, those do your work the justice it deserves. I really like your color scheme, especially the high contrast red.

For what its worth, the second to last image is a little dark/"underexposed", while the last one looks about right, at least on my monitor.

• Locked thread