Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
Hey, what's that in the mail??

Hey what's that....

Okay so what, another black pen. Big whoop.

So wha...oh poo poo!

That nib came from nowhere!

...theatrics aside, that's a stipula da Vinci in black resin with a 14k stipula nib. It has the smoothest nib out of the pens I own. It's not even close.

lovely penmanship coming up:

Also, with this pen it's not like the vanishing point where it's just click and write. This bad boy needs three turns for it to fully extend the nib. It's literally a ritual.

Size comparison shot:

For a third of the MSRP, this pen is absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Thelonious Monk posted:

Hey, what's that in the mail??

Hey what's that....

Okay so what, another black pen. Big whoop.

So wha...oh poo poo!

That nib came from nowhere!

...theatrics aside, that's a stipula da Vinci in black resin with a 14k stipula nib. It has the smoothest nib out of the pens I own. It's not even close.

lovely penmanship coming up:

Also, with this pen it's not like the vanishing point where it's just click and write. This bad boy needs three turns for it to fully extend the nib. It's literally a ritual.

Size comparison shot:

For a third of the MSRP, this pen is absolutely amazing.

Goulet doesn't carry it. Where did you get it and how much?

Welp Amazon lists it as $300+! Guess I'm sticking with getting the Kaweco this weekend.

EDIT: ugh I hate this Noodler's Borealis Black. It's like a watery ink that creeps like a creeper out of my Sailor 1911 nib. Are there any thicker inks that won't creep like this?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 7, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

Welp Amazon lists it as $300+! Guess I'm sticking with getting the Kaweco this weekend.

EDIT: ugh I hate this Noodler's Borealis Black. It's like a watery ink that creeps like a creeper out of my Sailor 1911 nib. Are there any thicker inks that won't creep like this?

Noodlers, if I recall, is known to be more creep-prone (creepier? :drac:) than most other inks. So almost any other ink will give you less-creepy performance. Waterman's is considered the gold standard in terms of behavior but obviously doesn't have the color variety.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Joe Videogames posted:

Sailor Nano-black is quite viscous. I'm pretty careful about which pen I use that specific ink in though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I might try this Organic Studios Darwin black out in it. This poo poo is so thick it changes a fine nib to a medium-broad nib. It comes out so thick I had to double check my nib wasn't hosed up. I don't like it. While this ink is certainly as black as some of the more well known blacks (Noodler's black, Iroshizuki), it changes the characteristics of nibs, and I've never seen an ink do that.

It flows out so thick and wet that my Lamy fine nib writes like a medium-broad, and the bleed-through and ghosting is significant even on Claire Fontaine paper. Not too happy with it for this, but I wonder if it's just because of the way it's advertised as a fast drying ink.

I also noticed a very chemical rich paint like smell from the bottle, where my Lamy and Noodler's inks are pleasant, more natural smelling. I'd expect to find a liter of this OS Darwin black under the sink with other chemical cleaners.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 7, 2014

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been using Borealis Black for a month or so now. The nib crip wasn't nearly as bad as HoD, in my experience. I'll keep using it just for how fast it dries. It's also blacker than the other inks I tried, and I like my black inks as dark as possible.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Solumin posted:

I've been using Borealis Black for a month or so now. The nib crip wasn't nearly as bad as HoD, in my experience. I'll keep using it just for how fast it dries. It's also blacker than the other inks I tried, and I like my black inks as dark as possible.

I really just think that Noodler's acts weird with some nibs, it creeps on some of my nibs but never does on others. It's really weird.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Going to try some Watermans's blue. Can't hurt having more inks.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Any reason my shiny new Kaweco Sport should be hard starting? I have Black Swan in English Roses inside. I just expected it to be juicer, I suppose. It's so cute and little, though, I can't help but love it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

milpreve posted:

Any reason my shiny new Kaweco Sport should be hard starting? I have Black Swan in English Roses inside. I just expected it to be juicer, I suppose. It's so cute and little, though, I can't help but love it.

If it's new-new, like you just pulled it out of the package, there's probably still machine oils on the nib and feed. Rinse the thing out with soapy water with a little ammonia in it really well, then with clean water and you should be good to go.

If you already did that, then I got nothin'. :shrug:

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
I need some help trying to decide between the TWBSI 580 and the Vac 700. I'm going back to school and need something for taking notes. I write fairly small and also need a fine enough nib for scribbling notes in the margins of print outs, textbooks, etc. Is one better suited than the other for the task? Also, should I go with the fine or extra fine nib?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Smithwick posted:

I need some help trying to decide between the TWBSI 580 and the Vac 700. I'm going back to school and need something for taking notes. I write fairly small and also need a fine enough nib for scribbling notes in the margins of print outs, textbooks, etc. Is one better suited than the other for the task? Also, should I go with the fine or extra fine nib?

Go for the extra fine first off.

Secondly, would you prefer a larger pen or a smaller pen? The Vac 700 is a decent bit larger than the 580, but both are really, really awesome, so pick the one you think would fit in your hand better. Even if you go wrong, you won't go that far wrong.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Smithwick posted:

The TWSBI EF nib writes surprisingly smooth so you might as well go with that, having said that there is little difference between the fine and the extra fine. You can use the Nib Nook on Goulet Pens to compare the nibs for the pens.

Between the 580 and the 700 there probably isn't much difference. The 700 holds a little more ink, 0.4ml on a full fill, and the vacuum filling mechanism is neat to say the least, but that's a fairly negligible amount of ink, and the 580 won't require you to undo the stopper if you write a lot at once like the Vac does, which would probably be better for class notes.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I have a Montverde Impressa in red/gunmetal in my shopping basket. Anyone have experience with these pens? It looks slick as heck.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Joe Videogames posted:

I have a Montverde Impressa in red/gunmetal in my shopping basket. Anyone have experience with these pens? It looks slick as heck.

I bought one myself. I love the look of it and the spring clip. I bought mine with a fine nib, which I find a bit dry, and I have had a problem once or twice with it getting jostled and leaving ink from the cap in the section.

Once it's empty I'll probably swap the nib with a Monteverde stub I currently have in a Konrad and see how that performs.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

milpreve posted:

I've had issues with textured calligraphy paper but then it writes awesome on smooth paper with high absorbency. Try different papers might help.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

SnakesRevenge posted:

I bought one myself. I love the look of it and the spring clip. I bought mine with a fine nib, which I find a bit dry, and I have had a problem once or twice with it getting jostled and leaving ink from the cap in the section.

Once it's empty I'll probably swap the nib with a Monteverde stub I currently have in a Konrad and see how that performs.

Would a medium nib be better?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Joe Videogames posted:

Going to try some Watermans's blue. Can't hurt having more inks.

I've recently got into Waterman's inks. At first I was extremely underwhelmed and unimpressed. They don't have a huge variety of colors, and the colors they do have might not seem that spectacular. However, they have grown on me. They are the ultimate utility/workhorse ink for me-well behaved and flow well. My favorites are the Black and the Mystery Blue (blue-black). They are my go to inks for work now.

I used to be a 100% Noodler's guy. But lately I've been shifting away from Noodler's to Waterman's for utility and Iroshizuku for variety and flair.

I guess what I am saying is that if you initially don't like the Waterman's, give it some time.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

If it's new-new, like you just pulled it out of the package, there's probably still machine oils on the nib and feed. Rinse the thing out with soapy water with a little ammonia in it really well, then with clean water and you should be good to go.

If you already did that, then I got nothin'. :shrug:

Derp. Thanks!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Joe Videogames posted:

I've got one with a 1.1 stub on it right now. I like mine quite a bit, but it is a heavy pen which some folks don't like. Heavy pens don't bother me at all, and the thing feels like a solid chunk of well designed metal in my paw-like hands.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
After looking back on all my notebook pages with green inks, I like Lierre Sauvage best. :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Before you think your pen has nib/feed issues, try waterman's.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
If you were to buy a ~$50 pen now, what would it be?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Joe Videogames posted:

If you were to buy a ~$50 pen now, what would it be?

TWSBI, easy. The Diamond 5x0 series (530, 540, 580) punches well above its weight, so to speak. Piston fill for huge ink capacity, easily swapped nibs, and great customer service--when they still had a few occasional QC issues that resulted in some parts developing cracks, they would always just send me a whole new part outright for free, no questions asked. The only mark against the pen (and this is largely a personal preference thing) is that it's not designed to be posted, so you'll have to set the cap down or just hold it in your off-hand as you write. That said, the Mini line is designed to be posted, and is a more pocketable size while retaining more or less everything else from its bigger brother, and at the same price.

If you don't like the clear demonstrator look, the Mini has a solid black finish option, or there's the newer Classic line that comes in solid black, burgundy, and blue. And if you're willing to pay a little more, the Vac 700 is a vacuum-fill pen that's probably even a better price-to-performance value, considering what your current vacuum-fill options on the market are.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

404notfound posted:

TWSBI, easy. The Diamond 5x0 series (530, 540, 580) punches well above its weight, so to speak. Piston fill for huge ink capacity, easily swapped nibs, and great customer service--when they still had a few occasional QC issues that resulted in some parts developing cracks, they would always just send me a whole new part outright for free, no questions asked. The only mark against the pen (and this is largely a personal preference thing) is that it's not designed to be posted, so you'll have to set the cap down or just hold it in your off-hand as you write. That said, the Mini line is designed to be posted, and is a more pocketable size while retaining more or less everything else from its bigger brother, and at the same price.

If you don't like the clear demonstrator look, the Mini has a solid black finish option, or there's the newer Classic line that comes in solid black, burgundy, and blue. And if you're willing to pay a little more, the Vac 700 is a vacuum-fill pen that's probably even a better price-to-performance value, considering what your current vacuum-fill options on the market are.

I agree. I love mine and will probably go for more later down the line. The value for money is incredible.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I already have a TWSBI diamond mini in demonstrator :smug:

Looking for a new pen for no good reason. Is the Pilot metropolitan a nice one?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 10, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Joe Videogames posted:

And how. It's really good considering what it costs. Definitely worth the money.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

dino. posted:

And how. It's really good considering what it costs. Definitely worth the money.

I'm torn between a Schaffer or the Pilot Metro. Help

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Joe Videogames posted:

Buy a Metro if you don't already have a Pilot.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Joe Videogames posted:

Get a Metro.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Joe Videogames posted:

Echoing a whole bunch of folks, but my $15 Metro compares much better with pens in the $50-100 range than with pens in it's own ~$20 price slot. It's the only pen that I always have in my pen rotation.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Which Sheaffer are you looking at?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Vitamins posted:

Which Sheaffer are you looking at?

The 100.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Joe Videogames posted:

Get the drat Metro already! You can even swap the nib with a Kakuno or a Plumix, and a F nib is coming out in May (at least at Goulet).

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Ugh Goulet is out of stock on all Metro fine nibs, and isellpens is a hard to follow mess.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Joe Videogames posted:

Ugh Goulet is out of stock on all Metro fine nibs, and isellpens is a hard to follow mess.

Goulet won't be getting their first stock of fine nibbed metropolitans until May. The medium nib is a "Japanese medium" and comparable to most German fines that I've used though. It puts down about the same line as my Lamy Safari with a fine nib for example.

EDIT(!) for a question:
I know the Metro can take the nib from the Plumix in order to get a stub on it, but does anyone know if you can take the extra-fine nib off of a Pilot Penmanship and stick it on a metro in case you feel like writing with a needle?

Iron Chef Nex fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 10, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hate the way the Metro feels in my hand. The bump where it goes from grip/threads to main pen body is right where I normally hold and makes the pen very uncomfortable. It's my most disappointing pen purchase. So, count me as the one person who doesn't like the Metro.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Joe Videogames posted:

The Metro punches waaaaay above it's price range, it's nicer than basically anything else under $50 and quite a few things above that point.

If you want a fine nib you have to wait for Goulet to stock them or swap the happy face nib from a Kakuno.

I prefer the medium, which is like a european fine.

Apparently you can also swap the entire section from a 78G if you desire, giving you F and B/stub options

pienipple fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 10, 2014

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

powderific posted:

I hate the way the Metro feels in my hand. The bump where it goes from grip/threads to main pen body is right where I normally hold and makes the pen very uncomfortable. It's my most disappointing pen purchase. So, count me as the one person who doesn't like the Metro.

Yeah I was set on buying it until I tried it at a store. The step on the grip to body is sharp and the taper is too narrow for me to hold comfortably.

...I ended up buying a Vanishing Point instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

powderific posted:

I have the same issue but, also, the metro is just a boring pen. I don't have to do any writing for work or school, so I only use fountain pens for pleasure. I don't get any from the metro.

If you need a pen for work or school, it's probably ideal.