Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I dunno man, whoever wins this should go on to win the league, unless it's Man City in which case get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Digital Jesus posted:

I dunno man, whoever wins this should go on to win the league, unless it's Man City in which case get hosed.

City will definitely drop points at Goodison Park, and potentially Palace. Liverpool too I can see dropping points somewhere, possible home to Chelsea, or somewhere random.

You are right though, whoever wins 'should' definitely go onto win the league, but I think there's still more twists and turns in this one.

TheGoatFeeder fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 10, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

tbp posted:

There's a bit of subjective review going on from both sides re: Wenger I think. An considering his career at Arsenal, currently, splits pretty evenly in half it makes sense I suppose. But I don't really think he has it in him to break out of this perpetual runner-up quality that seems to be instilled in the club for whatever reason. Arsenal were top for ages this season and still nobody thought they were a legitimate challenger, here at least.

Whatever reason = they poo poo the bed against top teams. Writing was on the wall when they lost to man u

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TheGoatFeeder posted:

City will definitely drop points at Goodison Park, and potentially Palace. Liverpool too I can see dropping points somewhere, possible home to Chelsea, or somewhere random.
We're away to Palace first weekend of May, that's probably going to be a huge test given how they're playing lately.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It still amazes me that only Chelsea and City have conceded less goals than Palace since Pulis took over

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
I'm so mad at some of my fellow Everton fans right now. A few that I know would rather we lose to City if it means that Liverpool don't win the title. They would happily give up a chance at CL qualification just to spite Liverpool. Madness.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Headhunter posted:

I'm so mad at some of my fellow Everton fans right now. A few that I know would rather we lose to City if it means that Liverpool don't win the title. They would happily give up a chance at CL qualification just to spite Liverpool. Madness.

I hope you guys get Champions League. I've enjoyed the Everton games I've seen this season and Martinez is great.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Headhunter posted:

I'm assuming you don't have to live surrounded by smug scousers for a year though.
still think you'll get 4th anyway, Arsenal are broken.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Some of the local papers think Newcastle are going to sign Jack Colback on a free after he leaves Sunderland at the end of the season. Can see that going down well

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

Some of the local papers think Newcastle are going to sign Jack Colback on a free after he leaves Sunderland at the end of the season. Can see that going down well

For some reason I always think of this when I think of Newcastle United
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eIDu6Aw-8

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Classic Colback

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

DickEmery posted:

I'm assuming you don't have to live surrounded by smug scousers for a year though.
Those are some pretty sad fans and most Evertonians I know would laugh at the idea of sacrificing CL football in order to sabotage Liverpool's title hopes.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

It still amazes me that only Chelsea and City have conceded less goals than Palace since Pulis took over

For years I have been saying Pulis is the best manager in England.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Headhunter posted:

They're the Ninpos of Everton. They're almost certainly not the majority of Everton fans.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

vyelkin posted:

They're the Ninpos of Everton. They're almost certainly not the majority of Everton fans.

That's the opposite of Ninpo IIRC.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003

DickEmery posted:

There is that. I live in Leeds but have a lot of Liverpool supporting mates who are unbearable enough as it is.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

not not luvd posted:

That's the opposite of Ninpo IIRC.

No, I think Ninpo was the one saying he'd rather United miss out on CL if it meant Liverpool not winning the league, and was totally mystified how anyone could think differently.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

vyelkin posted:

No, I think Ninpo was the one saying he'd rather United miss out on CL if it meant Liverpool not winning the league, and was totally mystified how anyone could think differently.

Huh, I thought it was the reverse.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The notion of wanting to sacrifice your own team's success so that a team you hate doesn't get [x] is seriously retarded regardless of the circumstance hth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It is, back when they were in the league cup final though I'd have much preferred Sunderland stay up and lose it. Now they're out though I can't wait for them to get relegated

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
These are the posts I was thinking of btw luvd:

Ninpo posted:

Maybe I'm too old, but standing rivalries trump sudden league positions. For example in 2012, any match between City and Liverpool I wanted Liverpool to lose, badly, not withstanding any chance of a meteor. I wanted Liverpool to lose to Arsenal always in the late 90s/early 00s.

Rivalry means something, it's not gained or dismissed on the back of a league's possible finishing positions for a single season ffs. It's annoying as loving oval office hell that Liverpool are finishing above United this season, I couldn't give two shits about where City or Arsenal are finishing. Wtf is wrong with you lot? Arsenal hate Spurs obviously but a close second to that is United, an Arsenal fan posting they hope United beat Liverpool is fuckin bizarro city and plastic 101.

Ninpo posted:

So apparently I'm old, then. I don't care, I'd rather Chelsea or Arsenal or even City win the league over Liverpool.

Ninpo posted:

Btw if this is strange to anyone in TRP, you're weird plastics, hth.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
how could someone hate us so much i really just don't get it

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

my feelings on liverpool http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfpde4_benny-hill-was-a-leeds-fan_fun

would still they win the league ahead of chelsea though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Remy is still out injured so we're definitely losing to Stoke at the weekend

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
At this point I think getting 11 players to actually turn up and pretend to play football should be considered an achievement for Newcastle. Forfeiting the rest of the games this season 3-0 would probably result in a better goal difference than you'll get playing them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd just be happy for a not complete poo poo formation/team to be put out. A 4-4-2 with 3 defensive midfielders and 1 winger against Man Utd :thumbsup:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Burqa King posted:

If they miss out on fourth, who'll want to come?
Everton fans, probably

E: didn't realise I was two pages behind

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Everton and Liverpool fans don't have that virulent a rivalry anyway I didn't think?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Headhunter posted:

Ohnoooobanner.jpg

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

fat greasy puto posted:

how could someone hate us so much i really just don't get it

I really hate City for getting their massive investment just as Spurs were ready to capitalise on Liverpool dropping out of the top4.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

vyelkin posted:

These are the posts I was thinking of btw luvd:

I'd rather Chelsea win the league than City but I'd rather City win the league than Liverpool

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I'm honestly not bothered who wins if Liverpool don't. I guess City because they're a bit more fun to watch?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
As a Reading fan I don't care who wins as long as it isn't Oxford

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009

Guitar_Hero posted:

Everton and Liverpool fans don't have that virulent a rivalry anyway I didn't think?

Some people are quite in to it but for a lot of people the other team is like that really annoying cousin who you can't stand but ultimately you want him to do ok for himself, just not as good as you.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003

aeverous posted:

Some people are quite in to it but for a lot of people the other team is like that really annoying cousin who you can't stand but ultimately you want him to do ok for himself, just not as good as you.

That's how I feel about it. Given that the other choices for potential champions are City and Chelsea, Liverpool winning is the least disagreeable option. It would be pretty cool to have both Merseyside teams competing again. The 80s was a magical time for football.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Guitar_Hero posted:

quote from one of my everton mates:

quote:

(08 April 2014 - 10:37 PM) City would be nice, Chelsea objectionable, Liverpool the worst thing in the world to happen ever.

He really really doesn't like them, and his mates are all the same as him.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Different fans have different views on the prospect of indirectly helping a rival, which undoubtedly depends in some part on whether your own team has something to play for.

You're welcome. I blow minds every day. :smuggo:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Headhunter posted:

That's how I feel about it. Given that the other choices for potential champions are City and Chelsea, Liverpool winning is the least disagreeable option. It would be pretty cool to have both Merseyside teams competing again. The 80s was a magical time for football.

I want City to win it mainly because they're the least unlikeable of the three, and they're expected to win it anyway. I really don't want Chelsea to win mainly because of Mourinho's stupid "mind games" and the less I see his :smuggo: face the better. Also, I just really don't like Liverpool right now, and I always enjoy seeing them come up short.

Also, I hope Chelsea draw Munich in the CL so Pep can beat Mourinho again and make him bitch and moan about it.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
1 - City
2 - Chelsea
3 - Liverpool

Order of who I'd rather win the league this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I want Liverpool to win because they are cool and good

• Locked thread