Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
One thing that's been tripping me up in AE, with all the new augs I can't find long range scanners as consistently. Also there are more sector types so uncharted/slug sectors are less common; with long range scanners those sectors are veritable scrap goldmines.

At least the game is still consistent about having a cloak available in sector 2 when I have 149 scrap and then never again for the rest of the playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
This game is sort of funny in that it makes me become a terrible monster/murderer - I usually always pick the 'good' path, but when it FLAT OUT SHOWS YOU how much less scrap you'll get by sparing their lives... sorry, slaves, I need the scrap metal from your slaver's ship more than your lives.. Sorry civilians, I need scrap metal more than your farming machines. Sorry traders, I'll be taking your cargo shipment.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vengarr posted:

I love the idea of the Stealth B--the skilled-but-difficult glass cannon--but its really luck-dependent in a game where the RNG likes to see you cry.

Stealth C is simply for masochists.

e: literally have failed to get out of Sector 1 five times in a row trying to unlock Stealth C. I think I need to take a break.

I've managed to get out of sector 1 on Normal a lot more often with C than B for whatever reason. It's just I then usually get utterly bitchslapped by the RNG right before/after I get normal shields.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
It's been mentioned before, but one of my new favorite combos Mind Control/Teleporter.

With Rock B all I had was an Ion Blast II, the starting gun for Rock B, and no rockets for my Swarm or Firebomb. At first I thought I was going to get smacked hard against the Flagship but after disabling all except the Triple Heavy Beam weapon, I found out that when you mind control enemies and teleport your own back to the ship, you bring the Mind Controlled enemy with you.

I slowly abducted every enemy except for the gunner in the Triple Heavy Beam weapon, and beat them all up in the O2 room (they kept running into that room
v:v:v).

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Ok, someone explain the "abduction trick" to me.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
A mind controlled enemy crewman is treated as one of your units, so you can use your teleporter to bring him over to your ship. If the enemy ship does not have a teleporter, they have no way of getting him back, so you can just bludgeon him to death when the mind control ends and then steal another when your cooldowns are up. It's like reverse boarding, and it's an extremely safe strategy if your ship's defenses are up to snuff.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Here is me try to unlock Engi C. I was one fuel away from sector 8 :suicide:

(I did unlock rock A though)

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Got my first victory today! Was really lucky in the early sectors as far as crew and finding a scrap arm on my second jump. Was hoping to get a slug to get the second achievment to unlock the Kestrel B, but maybe next time. Going to try to get another win or two on easy then jump to normal.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Argh, I somehow failed to get the 'dodge 9 points of damage in one cloak' achievement, even against the flagship. Now I have to do another Stealth A run. Even though I won, it doesn't feel like a victory.

Also, it's funny how much of a straight-up slugfest that last phase was, for a stealth ship. A dual laser, Vulcan cannon and Combat Drone II vs the missile launcher and heavy laser. The stealth ship won, but only just. Pretty much every other system on my ship was crippled except for the weapons room, which went miraculously untouched the entire fight.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Inside Out Mom posted:

Got my first victory today! Was really lucky in the early sectors as far as crew and finding a scrap arm on my second jump. Was hoping to get a slug to get the second achievment to unlock the Kestrel B, but maybe next time. Going to try to get another win or two on easy then jump to normal.
The nice thing is that the flagship fight is identical on Normal. You'll just have a harder road getting there (and less scrap to work with).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man, I love how the Lanius are just as much of dicks as anyone else. Found a depowered Lanius ship floating through space. I chose the "investigate" option and got a blue action from having a Lanius crewmember. Since he was a Lanius he could sneak aboard the ship and empty it's cargo hold without waking the ship from its stasis.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Getting a free Halberd beam in the first sector on Lanius A is silly. Then I got a Breach Bomb II, Flak 1, and free Burst Laser III. Ran out of fuel in an ion storm but somehow managed to eke out a crew-kill that got me just enough fuel to make it to a store. I even got two Lanius achievements and managed to unlock the B model. Sometimes the RNG gives you just barely what you need.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Just lost a really good Zoltan B run because I gave up my two ion blasts to pick up a ~second~ burst laser without having enough to power the two of them + my fire beam. The real human trait is hubris

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow. I'm really mad at myself for not getting this game earlier. Tons of fun even if I do suck pretty badly at it.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

one of us. one of us.

Which sector did u get around to?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you guys just restart a run when you get a random event that takes a crew member from you? Such a kick in the balls if it happens in the first 3 sectors.

Also, I started a Stealth A run and the first ship I run into has a beam drone. Dick move, game. DICK MOVE.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I am, of course, incredibly bad at this game. Prior to the Advanced Edition, I had only won two or three times, and I had only unlocked Engi A/B, Zoltan A and Rock A. All on Easy, of course.

Since AE, I've been trying and trying to get a win on Easy with Engi-A, usually with a quick death around sector 3 or 4. Boarders would die from my own mistakes (no clone bay), I'd get wrecked by a ship while micromanaging my boarders and not paying attention, etc etc.

Finally this run -- ongoing, probably going to lose at the flagship -- I find the rebel stronghold and find the partial flagship. Take it down easily, they keep sending boarders to me to kill and don't port them back, then with only three dudes left I firebomb their med bay and send my rocks in for the kill. Unlocked Lanius and the Federation Cruiser from that one event.

All after almost quitting when a slug ship in a nebula event-hacked my clone bay and permakilled one of my non-boarder crew three sectors ago.

Edit: Lost to phase 1 of the flagship because I literally had no way short of destroying systems to damage the boss, and my stray fire killed the O2 which gave the AI time to repair the weapons, which murdered me.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 10, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

boredsatellite posted:

one of us. one of us.

Which sector did u get around to?

I think my current run is in the 6th sector? Somewhere around there. Farthest I've ever made it that's for sure.

I messed up a ton of runs around the time I reached the 3rd or 4th sector. All it takes is one bad fight for everything to end in flames and I kept getting caught off guard by stuff. I'm getting a better grip on this game though. My losses feel like they come from a lack of experience, which is exactly how it should be in a rogue like.

The main thing I've learned is stay the gently caress out of nebulas. Nebulas are awful. You're just cruising along and then suddenly your ship is full of slugs and mantises.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

This is how all of my hard runs look towards the end. Every. Single. One.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Shwqa posted:

Here is me try to unlock Engi C. I was one fuel away from sector 8 :suicide:

(I did unlock rock A though)

Should have bought some with your 200 scrap

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I think my current run is in the 6th sector? Somewhere around there. Farthest I've ever made it that's for sure.

I messed up a ton of runs around the time I reached the 3rd or 4th sector. All it takes is one bad fight for everything to end in flames and I kept getting caught off guard by stuff. I'm getting a better grip on this game though. My losses feel like they come from a lack of experience, which is exactly how it should be in a rogue like.

The main thing I've learned is stay the gently caress out of nebulas. Nebulas are awful. You're just cruising along and then suddenly your ship is full of slugs and mantises.

Yeah you tend to avoid a lot of stuff by experience. Also make sure you are upgrading engines as well as they save lives.

I don't like nebulas much either because sometimes your power gets cut in two and it sucks

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Apparently I've never won with the Fed cruiser before :psyduck:

Just wasn't a fan of the artillery. This time I lucked into a burst mk II and some flak. Killing the flagship via brute force is pretty satisfying.

Also god drat is the pulsar hazard brutal. Always goes way worse for you than the enemy ship, too. One of those nearly cost me the run in sector 2.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I usually go for nebula sectors. You can jump to more nodes before the rebel fleet catches up with you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Nebula sectors don't slow the fleet down like they do in green/red sectors. I usually go for them though over red sectors because I like the music and I find the events (even the "nothing happens" events about watching the gasses swirl) to be very atmospheric and tense

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Nebula are cool. Just be sure to upgrade your O2 before hanging out with slugs.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I believe that nebula sectors slow the fleet down a little, but not as much as nebula in a normal sector. The fleet is specially prepared for the nebula, but they can only do this to a certain extent.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
So ah... I just failed the "keep O2 under 20%" achievement.
Because the enemy ship hacked my doors.
And closed all of them. :psyduck:

I mean, obviously I should have just cut power to the oxygen, but it took me a second too long to parse that that was a thing that they did.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Well, after making it to sector 8 on the Stealth C, I have to say it's not my least favorite ship (That's still probably Slug B). The Shield Drone isn't actually that bad of a defense as it charges up just fast enough to keep up with most early-sector weapons.

Of course I was completely screwed against the Flagship as I ended up with only a charge laser, a hull laser 1 and the mini-beam. It was not a lucky run for guns. Good run for drones though, which is great because the Stealth chassis comes with 3 drone slots.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
So I've found that in some cases, Hacking doesn't just neutralize a system, but will actually cause it to produce a negative effect. Hacking oxygen, for instance, will actually drain oxygen from throughout the ship. My last game, I learned while fighting the flagship that hacking the medbay will actually start damaging enemy crew trapped inside. I'd just wanted to deny them the use of it, but it ended up being a hilariously effective honeypot for clearing the main body of the ship. One mantis sitting inside, and they were all just drawn in to try to fight him. Let them gather outside to try to break the door down, then drop power for a second so they all come in, then power it back up and let the medical malpractice begin. A level 3 hack was enough to kill humans from full health on its own, though having Hacking Stun might have helped (not sure if they would have broken back out in time otherwise).

It's my new favorite strategy for the flagship, I think. Between that and the clone bay, a four-man teleporter is looking more like just overkill rather than the unparalleled asset it used to be.

Other random stuff I learned in the new patch: Now that the flagship doesn't end the game so quickly (has to orbit the base for three full turns), getting in some last minute scrap-farming in sector 8 can be quite profitable (especially since late-game scrap rewards are so high), possibly making the difference between shields 3 and shields 4. Also, the Repair Arm no longer incurs a scrap penalty when your hull is already maxed, making it no longer the unambiguously worst augmentation and possibly worth picking up in the late game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kilty Monroe posted:

So I've found that in some cases, Hacking doesn't just neutralize a system, but will actually cause it to produce a negative effect. Hacking oxygen, for instance, will actually drain oxygen from throughout the ship. My last game, I learned while fighting the flagship that hacking the medbay will actually start damaging enemy crew trapped inside. I'd just wanted to deny them the use of it, but it ended up being a hilariously effective honeypot for clearing the main body of the ship. One mantis sitting inside, and they were all just drawn in to try to fight him. Let them gather outside to try to break the door down, then drop power for a second so they all come in, then power it back up and let the medical malpractice begin. A level 3 hack was enough to kill humans from full health on its own, though having Hacking Stun might have helped (not sure if they would have broken back out in time otherwise).

It's my new favorite strategy for the flagship, I think. Between that and the clone bay, a four-man teleporter is looking more like just overkill rather than the unparalleled asset it used to be.

Other random stuff I learned in the new patch: Now that the flagship doesn't end the game so quickly (has to orbit the base for three full turns), getting in some last minute scrap-farming in sector 8 can be quite profitable (especially since late-game scrap rewards are so high), possibly making the difference between shields 3 and shields 4. Also, the Repair Arm no longer incurs a scrap penalty when your hull is already maxed, making it no longer the unambiguously worst augmentation and possibly worth picking up in the late game.

I think it may even heal your own crew but that's not verified. I'd love to know what hacking does to every system/sub-system specifically and to try those out in new strategies because while hacking shields is so freaking effective it'd be nice to try new things.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Huh. Made it to the last sector. Thought maybe I was actually going to win.

Took out the flagship. Yes! Victory achie- oh wait its still alive.

Alright, well I guess I have to kill it again. There, now- oh for fucks sake it comes back a third time???

Didn't have any missiles left and no repair stations nearby to use. Dammit.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think it may even heal your own crew but that's not verified. I'd love to know what hacking does to every system/sub-system specifically and to try those out in new strategies because while hacking shields is so freaking effective it'd be nice to try new things.

There's two others I know of that do more than expected: when my teleporter was hacked it warped my boarders back to my ship, and I believe hacking door control turns all doors on the ship purple (you move freely, they can't).

I wish I'd recorded that fight because I can't emphasize enough how quick and easy clearing the ship was that way. Only the pilot didn't get drawn in, and I was laughing my rear end off the whole time.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I just did the Lanius A "reach sector 8 without oxygen exceeding 20%" but it didn't unlock. What gives?

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Kilty Monroe posted:

There's two others I know of that do more than expected: when my teleporter was hacked it warped my boarders back to my ship, and I believe hacking door control turns all doors on the ship purple (you move freely, they can't).

Hacking mind control ends mindcontrol on your unit and controls a random enemy for the duration.
When you have hack selected, you can hover over the enemy systems to see what'll happen.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jesus Christ who needs repairs when you have a Vulcan

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So I got my third victory tonight and unlocked three more ships. I'm taking a look at the mantis cruiser and holy cow those are some tough as hell achievements to achieve. Anyone have any advice/tips for them?

The only problem with that being that I need to achieve the achievements in order to unlock the B layout. :v:

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 10, 2014

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Try them with Mantis B, as you have a 4-man teleporter on that baby, making the boarding achievements much easier. Anyway, the main thing is to board everything all the time, as you should with the Mantis ships. Get a cloning beam/high level teleport/some way to disable enemy healing and you're golden.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Personally I thought Mantis was one of the easier ones to get. But if you want advice, for the Battle Royale achievement, find an early sector ship that can't hurt you, weaken their crew a bit, then kill off all your crew except one Mantis, who teleports to their ship and finishes off the crew. For the one about killing five enemies, events where enemies board you without an actual ship also count, but if you want to do it with an actual ship buy a hacking system so you can lock the weapons system down and have your Mantises destroy it before it fires. And for the one where you kill the crew of twenty ships before sector 6...well, if you don't accomplish this you're probably not playing Mantis correctly.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Inadequately posted:

Personally I thought Mantis was one of the easier ones to get. But if you want advice, for the Battle Royale achievement, find an early sector ship that can't hurt you, weaken their crew a bit, then kill off all your crew except one Mantis, who teleports to their ship and finishes off the crew. For the one about killing five enemies, events where enemies board you without an actual ship also count, but if you want to do it with an actual ship buy a hacking system so you can lock the weapons system down and have your Mantises destroy it before it fires. And for the one where you kill the crew of twenty ships before sector 6...well, if you don't accomplish this you're probably not playing Mantis correctly.
Ironically when I set out to do the Mantis ship achievements I managed to fail at getting the "kill the crew of 20 ships before sector 6" achievement while getting the other two somehow, even though I was shooting for that one. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm pretty sure the game tells you what the effects will be if you hover over a system while you're aiming the hacking drone.

• Locked thread