Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The difference between stage 1 and 2 of the flagship is horrible at times. Had hacking, max cloak, 2 defense drone 1's, piercing laser 1, heavy laser 2, burst laser 2 and a breach missile. Used the missile to wipe out stage 1 but just couldn't do anything about the drones in time before my ship slowly died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
I have Lanius A with a six man boarding team. Four Lanius, one mantis, one rock. My ship is almost completely vented, so the mantis/rock team constantly asphxiate and reclone themselves. It's only when they get teleported over to the enemy ship that they get a chance to breathe for a few seconds before either dying or being teleported back should they survive the battle. I shudder of the PTSD this must be inflicting.

But the Rebels must be stopped at all costs. They understand the importance of their sacrifice :patriot: And I'm yet to meet the ship crew that can stand a chance against this triple barrel onslaught.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Just finished up two Lanius runs- one with A on easy, to get the achievements. Wow yeah easy just throws stuff at you. By the end, without boarding, I had a vulcan, flak 1 and 2 and a burst laser 2, and a pre-ignitor and reloader. Strategy was lead with the flaks and burst for an opening salvo, then switch out the flak 1 and burst for the vulcan to shred them, with hacking support. I even got the 600 scrap achievement although I did have a scrap arm, but not the oxygen achivement.

Lanius B... goddamn probably my smoothest boss run on normal ever. I didn't even use the Lanius for boarding, I got two mantises and figured the Lanius were better off on the ship to repel anyone who tried to board me/repair stuff. Ended up doing the mindcontrol + teleporter abduction strat, with flak 2 and halberd support.

also a handy trick if you're gonna be doing a lot of boarding with a clone bay- upgrade that poo poo! not only will you get back in the fight faster if your guys do die, you get more health back after every jump. Don't even have to have it powered.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 10, 2014

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Jose posted:

The difference between stage 1 and 2 of the flagship is horrible at times. Had hacking, max cloak, 2 defense drone 1's, piercing laser 1, heavy laser 2, burst laser 2 and a breach missile. Used the missile to wipe out stage 1 but just couldn't do anything about the drones in time before my ship slowly died

Don't use max cloaking on the final battle. Level 1 recharges faster so you can just barely use it every time there is a power surge. This makes you impervious to the drone strikes and the level 3 laser spam. Also great for dodging the missiles if you're having trouble with those.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Inadequately posted:

Personally I thought Mantis was one of the easier ones to get. But if you want advice, for the Battle Royale achievement, find an early sector ship that can't hurt you, weaken their crew a bit, then kill off all your crew except one Mantis, who teleports to their ship and finishes off the crew. For the one about killing five enemies, events where enemies board you without an actual ship also count, but if you want to do it with an actual ship buy a hacking system so you can lock the weapons system down and have your Mantises destroy it before it fires. And for the one where you kill the crew of twenty ships before sector 6...well, if you don't accomplish this you're probably not playing Mantis correctly.

Another way to kill five enemies is to rush shield upgrades, then find a weak ship with a clone bay and just keep murdering the same guys until you have the achievement.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Felix_Cat posted:

I have Lanius A with a six man boarding team. Four Lanius, one mantis, one rock. My ship is almost completely vented, so the mantis/rock team constantly asphxiate and reclone themselves. It's only when they get teleported over to the enemy ship that they get a chance to breathe for a few seconds before either dying or being teleported back should they survive the battle. I shudder of the PTSD this must be inflicting.

But the Rebels must be stopped at all costs. They understand the importance of their sacrifice :patriot: And I'm yet to meet the ship crew that can stand a chance against this triple barrel onslaught.

I'm sure it's like that one Arnold Schwarzenegger movie (The 6th Day?) and they just don't remember anything past when they were last scanned, and that's why they lose skill points :downs:.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, that is some bullshit right there. Intercepted the flagship one jump away from the base, and with some clever cloaking managed to disable the weapons before any hit, then picked the ship apart without taking any damage. Then when it jumped away, the game bugged out and the flagship didn't actually jump anywhere. I had to jump to a rebel controlled sector, tank a few hits and then jump to the base where the flagship was, only to find myself back on stage one.

I just want to get to phase three and dodge the superweapon to get the achievement and unlock Stealth B, goddamn.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Clone Bay + DNA Storage Bank + Reconstructive Teleport = Best Mantis B run ever. :D

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Ashsaber posted:

Wait, there are bad results possible for that event? I've only ever gotten 5 fuel from that.

If you improved your Blast Doors, you will be offered a blue option to use your Blast Doors. Usually you get to fend off the pirates AND get fuel from that event so it is a win win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Samopsa posted:

Don't use max cloaking on the final battle. Level 1 recharges faster so you can just barely use it every time there is a power surge. This makes you impervious to the drone strikes and the level 3 laser spam. Also great for dodging the missiles if you're having trouble with those.

It was more that I just always missed with just enough of the lasers to mean I couldn't reliably take out the drone control so my missiles were useless so I fought on for a while before eventually dying. The only time I saw a crew teleporter was on one of the first shops when I couldn't afford it and I ended up getting a pre-igniter early so wanted to go all weapons which was fine up until phase 2 of the boss :v:

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
After playing this game for about 10-15 hours, I just now had the revelation that I'm NOT supposed to be taking the shortest route to the exit in every sector. I got to the boss one time, and got completely demolished. At least I unlocked the Engi A ship :unsmith:

What am I supposed to be doing to unlock ships? Go to the homeworlds and just jump around until I find the quest?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you guys just restart a run when you get a random event that takes a crew member from you? Such a kick in the balls if it happens in the first 3 sectors.

Also, I started a Stealth A run and the first ship I run into has a beam drone. Dick move, game. DICK MOVE.

Never restart, no matter how bad it gets. Learn to deal with every disaster possible. :colbert:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bvoid posted:

After playing this game for about 10-15 hours, I just now had the revelation that I'm NOT supposed to be taking the shortest route to the exit in every sector. I got to the boss one time, and got completely demolished. At least I unlocked the Engi A ship :unsmith:

What am I supposed to be doing to unlock ships? Go to the homeworlds and just jump around until I find the quest?

Not anymore. Just advance enough with the previous ship in the line.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So close to getting Tough Little Ship, with the Burst Laser II, Heavy Laser II, Flak II, combat drone, 3 shields and good engines... at 2 HP run into a ship with a heavy missile launcher. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffff

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Just finished a hard run with the stealth A here; flak plus beams is super, super effective. Pretty much every time my pike beam could fire, they had no shields.

TacMan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 20, 2014

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I'm actually steadily doing better with Stealth B. The big upside it has is you can one shot many enemy ships the first few sectors. I charge glaive until they shoot, hit cloak and hope I dodge their volley, then fire my beam which usually kills them outright.

Since glaive does 3dmg per room, I usually aim for their shields first hitting as many critical rooms as possible. One 1 shield bubble enemies, hitting shield room will let 2 damage through usually disabling it. The next series of rooms hit will take 3 damage each.

When you get level 3 cloak you can usually fully charge the beam before cloak breaks. Stealth B also really benefits from engine upgrades since you are a sitting duck waiting for cloak to charge.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I charge glaive until they shoot, hit cloak and hope I dodge their volley, then fire my beam which usually kills them outright.

Once you have Level 3 cloak, and you're facing a ship with a weak weapons system, it's actually better to cloak after about 5 seconds have passed, before they fire their weapons. That way, you come out of cloak, and fire your Glaive Beam before they even fire, which means you're not risking 15% chances for heavy lasers or Burst Laser IIs to hit your ship.

Of course, on a ship with more than 3 points in weapons, or on a Rock Ship that has a chance to resist, it's still better to just cloak the shots.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I love it when you get pre igniter on stealth b. Makes things so easy. That or vulcan laser + stealth weapons!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I just won with the Federation Cruiser C, two Flak IIs, a Flak I, and a pre-igniter.

So much flak everywhere, and it was still a clusterfuck right at the end of phase 3.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Man gently caress this game. My 80th run or something, only the 3rd time I've even managed to just get to the last sector. Full shields, 55% evasion, hacking, mind control, decent weapons, smashed everything up till now. Then the flagship hacks my weapons. I already sent my drone to hack the shields so that's it, I'm hosed. Can't get a single shot off because the hack shuts the weapons down before they can charge (I wish my hacking had a cooldown that quick) so I just have to sit and watch as my ship slowly gets blown to pieces.

I'm taking a break for a while. gently caress you FTL. :bang:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What am I supposed to do about missiles late game? I had a good run going that ended in just one fight because the enemy ship had super powerful missiles. My shields were completely useless and even though I've had guys with max flight and engineering skill, they still couldn't dodge any of them. I couldn't disable the enemy weapons because it kept loving dodging all of my shots.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Internet Kraken posted:

What am I supposed to do about missiles late game? I had a good run going that ended in just one fight because the enemy ship had super powerful missiles. My shields were completely useless and even though I've had guys with max flight and engineering skill, they still couldn't dodge any of them. I couldn't disable the enemy weapons because it kept loving dodging all of my shots.

Defense drones and high evasion. Other than that, luck.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Zoltan shields and a shield drone. Regular shields aren't necessary. :getin:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Cloak through a missile salvo, Defense Drones, or reliance on dodge chance are about it. Alternately, Hack the pilot house/Mind Control the pilot to drop their evasion and throw your own missiles at the systems you need down.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Generic Octopus posted:

Cloak through a missile salvo, Defense Drones, or reliance on dodge chance are about it. Alternately, Hack the pilot house/Mind Control the pilot to drop their evasion and throw your own missiles at the systems you need down.

This is pretty much spot on advice, the only thing I would add is to momentarily divert all possible power to engines to help evade missiles, and absolutely man the engines/helm at all times*.

*some exceptions apply

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Vengarr posted:

Spam mind control on him, I guess.

Max mind control. it goes off cooldown every jump. It is tricky though.

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...

Internet Kraken posted:

Missiles are among the most threatening weapons enemy ships can carry, especially when they one-shot entire subsystems. Things that help:

-Defense Drones. The Mark 1 are way better to have IMO than Mark II however; if the enemy ship launches missiles close to when it fires lasers Mark II tend to blast the lasers which would have just gently pinged on your intact shield... leading to the missile getting friendly with your O2 system.
-Cloaking.
-Hacking weapons. If I've got this installed and an enemy has missiles, 99 percent of the time I go right for weapons. I've been holding off on activating the hack until weapons have almost fully charged... is this the best strategy?
-Hacking PLUS a Preigniter. If you have both of these and somewhat effective weaponry, congratulations you win the game against most opponents! Hack cockpit, activate & eliminate any dodge chance, throw everything at the enemy's shields (if you can tank the first volley from them) or weapons (if you'd rather not let them fire). This all happens in the first three seconds of the encounter, tough to bounce back from.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

255 posted:

I've been holding off on activating the hack until weapons have almost fully charged... is this the best strategy?

I don't think it matters, if you activate it early it keeps the weapons from charging at all for the duration, so the effect is the same.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Generic Octopus posted:

I don't think it matters, if you activate it early it keeps the weapons from charging at all for the duration, so the effect is the same.

If you activate early, you stop charging for 10 seconds or whatever.

If you activate late, you stop charging for 10 seconds, and drain the amount the weapons have charged. So not only do they lose their 10 seconds of charging time, they are probably near empty and have to recharge them completely again.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Arglebargle III posted:

So close to getting Tough Little Ship, with the Burst Laser II, Heavy Laser II, Flak II, combat drone, 3 shields and good engines... at 2 HP run into a ship with a heavy missile launcher. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffff

Find a Shop. Then hit the nodes around it looking for an asteroid field. Lower your shields, turn off your engines, and let nature take its course until you're down to 1HP, then jump back through explored territory to repair your poo poo up to a non-critical state at the shop. You don't need to do all the repairing at once.

And fill your shield generator room with your mans, for quick repairs in case that second-to-last asteroid damages your shields.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

First run with the federation cruiser since I unlocked it. First jump (and thus first shop) in sector 2. So many nice things and I can't afford any of it! And of course the store is far to the left of the map so the fleet is already about to take it, so no chance of jumping a few times to farm a bit of scrap.

Edit: I hired the Lanius and two jumps later I run into a lanius ship outside a pulsar that hacks my piloting and pelts me with flak. Literally nothing I could do, no way to jump, evade or damage the lanius. :ftl:

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 10, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Godddddd gently caress this game. This is the second time I've gotten to the final boss and like last time, the loving drone spam did me in. I couldnt get past the shields either. My Zoltan ship was doing so well. Hell, it demolished the first phase no problem.
:(

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you activate early, you stop charging for 10 seconds or whatever.

If you activate late, you stop charging for 10 seconds, and drain the amount the weapons have charged. So not only do they lose their 10 seconds of charging time, they are probably near empty and have to recharge them completely again.

Yeah you right, should've taken 10 seconds to think about that one before I posted. :v:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Besides all others have posted, another plan of attack is to take out the weapon systems on ships with missiles first. To give you an example, if I'm doing a run that focuses on hacking+boarding parties, I'll usually teleport to the weapon room first if I'm against a ship with missiles. Also hacking the weapon room gives you a little more breathing room as well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jose posted:

It's worth noting that the flagship's defence drone is a Defence 2, meaning you can volley the lasers with the missiles and it might intercept the lasers instead of the missiles.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you have hacking try to get a hacking drone through the drone room as fast as possible, preferably alongside another volley so there's less chance of it being intercepted. If you can get it to attack you can blow up the ordinary drones every time it recharges, giving you a fair amount of breathing room.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

StringOfLetters posted:

Find a Shop. Then hit the nodes around it looking for an asteroid field. Lower your shields, turn off your engines, and let nature take its course until you're down to 1HP, then jump back through explored territory to repair your poo poo up to a non-critical state at the shop. You don't need to do all the repairing at once.

And fill your shield generator room with your mans, for quick repairs in case that second-to-last asteroid damages your shields.

If it hasn't been changed, for Tough Little Ship, it still counts if you get knocked down to 1 HP, save & quit, then start a new game with the Kestrel (or whatever variant you were using) again. Hax!

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Just died to some kinda drat ion hazard. Thought it was the drone ship, no the ion drone isn't what's knocking out half my systems. The worst part is I died to o2 loss because I only had a burst 2 for damage plus ion gun and fire beam, so I just could not get through the shields to kill it and it kept my o2 and engines disabled so I could neither breathe nor jump. Great run up until that point, 259 scrap waiting for a store with some drat weapons.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 10, 2014

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The game just updated. Do we know what changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Many, many things. Most importantly, new ways to get killed!

• Locked thread