Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Content: The guy next to me is checking out pictures of kitchens and couches and bathrooms instead of fixing the bugs he's made.
lmao I used to have a guy who would do his consulting work and watch movies all the time like it was nothing. He'd stay til 7 to make himself look like a hard worker, but he'd just be working on his side projects. He was a total weirdo, and the only dude who knew this whole stupid data warehousing setup he created. It was a joyous day when he quit and taught someone else that monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If the guy who wrote the feature you're fixing is on standby, I'd consider that an invitation to start delegating small, routine parts of the work to him.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eithedog posted:

Funny you say that. In here people tend to comment stuff out, but unfortunately commenting might happen on multiple levels. First, there's PHP level (/* */), then there's template level ({* *}), then, there's HTML level (<!-- -->). Guess what do I deal with?

I was editing a fairly important (PHP) file at a place I used to work - it did routing, IIRC - and noticed an unclosed comment at the bottom. Thought that was pretty odd/lazy of someone so I deleted it and reloaded to a big fat parse error. The comment was closed in the including file.

I might be misremembering. It could have been an HTML comment, but that was the level of fuckery I had to deal with.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Munkeymon posted:

I was editing a fairly important (PHP) file at a place I used to work - it did routing, IIRC - and noticed an unclosed comment at the bottom. Thought that was pretty odd/lazy of someone so I deleted it and reloaded to a big fat parse error. The comment was closed in the including file.

I might be misremembering. It could have been an HTML comment, but that was the level of fuckery I had to deal with.

That's fantastic. That's also the similar sort of stuff I expect from this, so once I commented the DB calls out (I'm too scared to delete it) I sent an email around to everyone involved going "Hey so.. I found these... if.. if anybody still needs these... just let me know...".

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

QuarkJets posted:

Vectors are for that, but you can use them for static collections, too. Vectors use a tiny bit more memory, but this tradeoff is worth all of the extra flexibility in nearly all cases.
And in C++11 you can just use std::array for static-size containers with the extra niceties.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Munkeymon posted:

I had the same issue on my first job, but it was asp. Classic asp.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

That's fantastic. That's also the similar sort of stuff I expect from this, so once I commented the DB calls out (I'm too scared to delete it) I sent an email around to everyone involved going "Hey so.. I found these... if.. if anybody still needs these... just let me know...".

It's in source control, right? That buys you two things. 1, you are free to delete it. 2, there is a blame tool and you can go ask the guy what the implications of removing them are. Until they are either deleted or left in and you know why, you haven't done your job you've only added to the horror.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Yes, remove it. Source control is for versioning your code, not comments. In my world, commented out chunks of code are grounds for a code review failure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dren posted:

It's in source control, right? That buys you two things. 1, you are free to delete it. 2, there is a blame tool and you can go ask the guy what the implications of removing them are. Until they are either deleted or left in and you know why, you haven't done your job you've only added to the horror.

It's too bad there aren't any blame tools that say "dude deleted some code that used to be here", since that's often pretty relevant in my horror-chasing.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Perforce's time-lapse view does a decent job of it.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Subjunctive posted:

It's too bad there aren't any blame tools that say "dude deleted some code that used to be here", since that's often pretty relevant in my horror-chasing.

git log accepts a path spec. so you can do "git log foo.c" or "git log ." Or "git whatchanged foo.c", which will show the diffs too.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Old news no doubt but I just found out that there are people who earnestly advocate something called "semicolon-free JavaScript", which is where you write JavaScript and allow automatic semicolon insertion to decide where your statements end.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Hammerite posted:

Old news no doubt but I just found out that there are people who earnestly advocate something called "semicolon-free JavaScript", which is where you write JavaScript and allow automatic semicolon insertion to decide where your statements end.

Thats the correct way to write javascript.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
No it's not. jfc why is web development in loving opposite land?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Sinestro posted:

no barrier to entry?

edit: eh, that's not fair really, and is just me being old and crotchety. Seriously though, it's probably more that the accessibility of the web sort of pushed development towards tools that try to "figure out" what the programmer wanted (semicolon insertion, PHP as a whole, etc), which combined with non-obvious warning and error failure modes leads inexperienced developers to flock to the platform since it is "easier" and "modern", which feeds back to the beginning and creates a powder keg of ineptitude waiting for someone to strike an sql-injection match.

edit 2: to expand on that a bit, it's a few different things:

1) existing web tools such as javascript and php remove *ANY* barrier to entry, which isn't a bad thing but it does bring in a lot of people with no formal or doctrinal education.
2) the failure mode of a ton of web apps, platforms, etc is all in console (hidden by default) or server logs (often inaccessible entirely) which masks best-practice warning messages and makes debugging complicated situations even more difficult than it otherwise would be. Additionally, this means a lot of "accidentally correct" code with major flaws or assumptions seems "correct" since all of its various warnings, type coercions, etc are hidden.
3) a lot of web development platforms and such strive to be "magic" or "Just do the right thing" (this is your semicolon insertion, loose equality, hilarious type coercions, etc), which leads to a lot of code that has major edge case failures that an inexperienced programmer won't expect or know to watch for.
4) an entrenched culture that rewards copy-paste programming and encourages programming by coincidence allows errors from issues 1 through 3 to breed, mutate, and propagate through the years.

teamdest fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 10, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can't speak to most of that, but at least for JS semi insertion was originally motivated by making it work well in HTML-embedded cases. Forgetting the trailing semi in onclick="alert('hi');" was just going to be frustrating for people. Similarly missing them at the end of function bodies, one-statement <script> tags, etc. It definitely didn't scale well with JS usage, but it was hard to predict that JS would scale as far as it did (it was going to be a thing to glue together "real logic" written in Java, really.)

PHP I'm sure started similarly casually, but it's *way* easier to fix a server-side language because the developer decides what version is going to run what code. With JS the user has a browser and the developer has to live with it, largely. I'm not sure why they didn't clean it up sooner; Hack shows that it's possible to improve it in a lot of ways with minimal loss of compatibility.

Edit: I think those four points are bang-on.

Edit edit: vvvv

Hammerite posted:

Looks like you don't understand JavaScript well enough, and should go read the spec so that you can understand the intricacies of automatic semicolon insertion and harness its power for yourself! (this is an actual argument employed by proponents)

People who have helped write the spec make ASI errors; it's a scourge, but it's not one that's going away.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 10, 2014

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Sinestro posted:

Looks like you don't understand JavaScript well enough, and should go read the spec so that you can understand the intricacies of automatic semicolon insertion and harness its power for yourself! (this is an actual argument employed by proponents)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

There are only two cases you really have to be worried about ASI loving up, one case you literally would never do unless you are a dumb moron, the other case occurs enough where you have to put in a semicolon if you really really want to write it that way.

Otherwise no one should give a poo poo either way but people make this out to be some big deal.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
http://bclary.com/2004/11/07/#a-7.9.1

You see those several paragraphs of text describing the circumstances of ASI? See how much simpler it is than just putting a semicolon at the end of your statements? If you don't memorise these arcane rules and unnecessarily create situations in which to apply them then you are using the JavaScript language wrong

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Strong Sauce posted:

Thats the correct way to write javascript.

If you want to prevent the noobs and/or those not in to self-harm from being able to contribute to your code, the correct answer is to follow haXe and pick a language that nobody uses.

Unless there's some other benefit to swallowing that section of the spec? Sorry, "a reaffirmation of my smugness" doesn't count.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The rules just boil down to this
1: don't put the return value on a separate line from the return
2: if you start a line with a parenthesis to enclose a value, prepend with a ;

And there is a third rule if you somehow decide that a postfix operator on the next line is smart, in which case...

Now if you're talking to someone starting out in javascript, then feel free to tell them to just use semicolons rather than explain what asi is. If a team decides they'd rather not use semicolons and they know the risks, who cares?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Vectors are for that, but you can use them for static collections, too. Vectors use a tiny bit more memory, but this tradeoff is worth all of the extra flexibility in nearly all cases.

Isn't a vector basically "a chunk of continuous storage" + "a little bit of bookkeeping data"? You can memcpy into them if you do it right.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Strong Sauce posted:

And there is a third rule if you somehow decide that a postfix operator on the next line is smart, in which case...

Now if you're talking to someone starting out in javascript, then feel free to tell them to just use semicolons rather than explain what asi is. If a team decides they'd rather not use semicolons and they know the risks, who cares?

Rule 1 also applies to break, continue, throw and in Harmony yield and module.

Most often ASI issues bite people due to program transformation: the bootstrap-vs-JSMin slapfight of a couple of years ago, JS files being concatenated and the effect of the last line in one file being changed by the first line in the next file, that sort of thing. You can definitely operate safely without semicolons, but it requires a lot more reasoning about possible other interpretations of the source tokens to do so. People of @fat's calibre manage; I'm not of that calibre, even with 8+ years of JS behind me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

"The rules just boil down to this: *forgets part of the rules*" is perhaps not as convincing an argument as you think.

Obviously I don't care about "a team", nor do I care about their understanding of "the risks" (unless I'm on your team). That's a far cry from "the correct way to write JavaScript". Just trying to set an example for the kids.

(Aside: do you think ASI is a good idea? A worthwhile feature in a programming language? I don't ask to try to convince you away from it, I'm wondering if I've come across someone who holds these positions.)

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I can't speak to most of that, but at least for JS semi insertion was originally motivated by making it work well in HTML-embedded cases. Forgetting the trailing semi in onclick="alert('hi');" was just going to be frustrating for people. Similarly missing them at the end of function bodies, one-statement <script> tags, etc. It definitely didn't scale well with JS usage, but it was hard to predict that JS would scale as far as it did (it was going to be a thing to glue together "real logic" written in Java, really.)
That's not an argument for ASI, that's an argument for making semicolon be a statement separator rather then terminator. Still required between lines, can be omitted on the very last line of a block, doesn't insert them where you don't want them. But they did something overly complex instead.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"JavaScript is a scripting language where semicolons as statement terminators are optional, as in: op·tion·al (adjective) Available to be chosen but not obligatory"

(I actually lean towards this style personally, but I think the article is, as it were, a bike-shedding horror.)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
"Easy solution: when a line starts with parenthesis, prepend a semicolon to it.

;(d + e).print()

This might not be elegant, but does the job. Michaeljohn Clement elaborates on this even further:

If you choose to omit semicolons where possible, my advice is to insert them immediately before the opening parenthesis or square bracket in any statement that begins with one of those tokens, or any which begins with one of the arithmetic operator tokens /, +, or - if you should happen to write such a statement.

Adopt this advice as a rule and you’ll be fine."

So instead of something simple, terminate all statements with a semicolon, we now prepend according to these specific rules.

Gee, stuff is so much simpler now. I like whitespace as much as the next person, having learned on python, but is terminating with a semicolon really such a big deal that you'd prefer to apply more non obvious rules to your code style?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I like the way he redefines what's understood by the term "minification" to attempt to prove his point.

I don't understand what's so difficult or bad about terminating expressions with a semi-colon in a C-style language either.

e: "only people can detect and solve software bugs, not tools" - guess someone's never heard of static analysis tools! Sure, they won't find every bug, but they can and do find some.

..btt fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 10, 2014

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
"I code everything in notepad in the same file without includes or OOP because there's no way in hell I'm trusting a machine to do my job for me" -- someone whose entire job is to feed instructions into a machine so that it can do the job of other people.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I write my C and C++ using trigraphs whenever possible. The rules aren't complicated, it's a simple step before preprocessing. I mean, just memorize this brief table:
pre:
??=  #
??(  [
??/  \
??)  ]
??'  ^
??<  {
??!  |
??>  }
??-  ~

I've never encountered a mainstream compiler that had a problem with trigraphs. Some claim it's easier or less confusing to simply use the nearly universally preferred single-character equivalents (or as I call it, "wahh this is so difficult we need -Wtrigraphs on by default"). Sure, you have to be on your toes with the occasional string literal, and it gets difficult to tell where comments begin and end, and these issues typically become obvious only at runtime. Nonetheless, this arcane feature exists and nobody uses it. It is therefore an excellent shibboleth, a rallying cry that proclaims "yes, this programming language is poo poo, but at least our team writes it in a technically admissible and largely alienating dialect; this proves that we must know what we are doing".

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I think optional semicolons are great because when you see somebody that thinks it makes sense to omit them or that semicolons are ugly, you'll be ready for superficialities in other opinions they hold, be it on encodings, design patterns, how to use version control systems, or radical feminism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

shrughes posted:

I think optional semicolons are great because when you see somebody that thinks it makes sense to omit them or that semicolons are ugly, you'll be ready for superficialities in other opinions they hold, be it on encodings, design patterns, how to use version control systems, or radical feminism.

Just so I haven't misinterpreted this, you're referring to the overwhelming number of socially-maladjusted sexist IT workers who for some reason can't keep their worthless opinions to themselves, right? Rather than criticising 'radical feminists' yourself..

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Just so I haven't misinterpreted this, you're referring to the overwhelming number of socially-maladjusted sexist IT workers who for some reason can't keep their worthless opinions to themselves, right? Rather than criticising 'radical feminists' yourself..

Personally, not many women are in computers. There must be a solid empirical reason for this?

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

OBAMA BIN LIFTIN posted:

Personally, not many women are in computers. There must be a solid empirical reason for this?

Women are scary and have cooties. :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

OBAMA BIN LIFTIN posted:

It's because there's not enough room for a woman inside of one. They're pretty small, mostly. Edit: computers, I mean

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

ironic sexism isn't actually less annoying

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are even fewer men in computers than women because men are larger.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bongo Bill posted:

There are even fewer men in computers than women because men are larger.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bongo Bill posted:

It's because there's not enough room for a woman inside of one. They're pretty small, mostly. Edit: computers, I mean

You'd think there would be more women in data centers, then, since they can fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Volmarias posted:

You'd think there would be more women in data centers, then, since they can fit.