Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zorak posted:

Another good one I just remembered

Heres one I always thought was pretty graphic.

Head blown off, nothing to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mini UK based rant- So I hear a lot of price gouging accusations on regards to SCG but the main UK singles store (magic madhouse) are selling brimaz for $53 dollars EACH, where-as SCG are selling for $30 each and that's just one example, every card on the site is vastly overpriced. You would need to be loving crazy to buy there, but there are only around 4 UK big singles sites and they can just charge what the hell they want. I am just happy that MCM and helpful buying/selling FB groups exist but even then it is a risk from buying off a complete stranger and not a reputable company. I know I have said this before in the thread but you US guys really don't know lucky you are regarding magic cardboard prices.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Samael posted:

Mini UK based rant- So I hear a lot of price gouging accusations on regards to SCG but the main UK singles store (magic madhouse) are selling brimaz for $53 dollars EACH, where-as SCG are selling for $30 each and that's just one example, every card on the site is vastly overpriced. You would need to be loving crazy to buy there, but there are only around 4 UK big singles sites and they can just charge what the hell they want. I am just happy that MCM and helpful buying/selling FB groups exist but even then it is a risk from buying off a complete stranger and not a reputable company. I know I have said this before in the thread but you US guys really don't know lucky you are regarding magic cardboard prices.

The reason why Madhouse's prices on newer stuff are so out is that no other store in the UK actually has a comprehensive catalogue, most of the others stock SOME old stuff and try vaguely to have high stock of modern staples in, but generally struggle stockwise.

I'm not saying I like paying Madhouses prices, but sometimes if you can't find a seller or two that has enough of what you want on MCM then you juat have to bite the bullet (since anymore than maybe 3 sellers and the ahipping costa makes up the sifference in no time on a lot of cards.)

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Samael posted:

Magic Singles is better than Madhouse in terms of price but they also have trouble stocking format staples, worth a look at the very least.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

mehall posted:

The reason why Madhouse's prices on newer stuff are so out is that no other store in the UK actually has a comprehensive catalogue, most of the others stock SOME old stuff and try vaguely to have high stock of modern staples in, but generally struggle stockwise.

I'm not saying I like paying Madhouses prices, but sometimes if you can't find a seller or two that has enough of what you want on MCM then you juat have to bite the bullet (since anymore than maybe 3 sellers and the ahipping costa makes up the sifference in no time on a lot of cards.)

Thanks guys, I just wanted to vent a little after spending the last week trying to find a playset of brimaz. The manaleak FB buying/selling group is something I found out about a few months ago and has been useful for me so far, since they go by SCG for trades and tcg mid for selling usually but I recently had a bad experience with one guy and it has been putting me off a bit. I'll try magicsingles, the ones I know of are manaleak (not bad?), Magicmadhouse (as above), trollcardtraders (okay for cheaper cards to finish decks) and firestorm games (probably the best of the four in terms of customer service at least) but all have very high prices.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Kruphix looks to be super sweet in Bant Control decks although keeping track of floating mana might lead to some disputed board states at times.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well now I need to force Silence the Believers so I can start calling it Shun the Nonbelievers.

"Shuuuuuuunnnnnnnuh"

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Well now I need to force Silence the Believers so I can start calling it Shun the Nonbelievers.

"Shuuuuuuunnnnnnnuh"

You're only allowed to cast it on this:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Zorak posted:

Another good one I just remembered

Who is that artist and what card is that? I want that to hang on my wall!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So I'm pretty disappointed with Silence the Believers even if its 4+ mana to get lots of use out of it. It single handily could kill off the smattering of bestow creatures that have seen play in Standard and Block. I suppose it is possible people don't put it in the sideboard so that you fly under the radar for a tournament or two but once people figure out there's a tier 1 bestow deck the meta shifts in a nasty way. In limited this thing will be extremely good for ending games or putting you back at even level.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OssiansFolly posted:

Who is that artist and what card is that? I want that to hang on my wall!

That's the Tenth Edition artwork for Terror.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Jabor posted:

That's the Tenth Edition artwork for Terror.

And to think Adam Rex is a child's book author and illustrator...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Korak posted:

So I'm pretty disappointed with Silence the Believers even if its 4+ mana to get lots of use out of it. It single handily could kill off the smattering of bestow creatures that have seen play in Standard and Block. I suppose it is possible people don't put it in the sideboard so that you fly under the radar for a tournament or two but once people figure out there's a tier 1 bestow deck the meta shifts in a nasty way. In limited this thing will be extremely good for ending games or putting you back at even level.

This and Gild confuse me, but I guess its basically rare removal for limited. I know they've been moving the rarity of removal up, but it kind of stinks to open a rare that is designed specifically for limited more or less. I guess it could also be good if someone plays some obnoxious Rafiq edh deck?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

jassi007 posted:

This and Gild confuse me, but I guess its basically rare removal for limited. I know they've been moving the rarity of removal up, but it kind of stinks to open a rare that is designed specifically for limited more or less. I guess it could also be good if someone plays some obnoxious Rafiq edh deck?

I don't think either of those cards are made for Limited. Gild sees play in black decks in Block and I'd be shocked if this didn't too. It could be reasonable in Standard in some numbers if there ever end up being a lot of Nighthowler or Herald of Torment (or Chromanticore :xd: ) decks, too.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

Maro has said time and again on podcasts that cards at rare are specifically not designed with limited playability as a priority. It's definitely in as a stop-gap in case some sort of bestow deck took off/takes off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ugh I want to play a Modern Kruphix Emrakul deck.

jassi007 posted:

There are a ton of rares that stink to open though... At least this is fun in limited.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 10, 2014

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Revealed on the Magic Europe twitter. Seems like a great tool for Golgari Dredge; fetches Nighthowlers and Whips at least and dumps even more cards to the bin.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Ugh I want to play a Modern Kruphix Emrakul deck.

There are a ton of rares that stink to open though... At least this is fun in limited.

Right, but at least with some stinkers I can see what they're for, other formats, to build whacky decks etc. This is just like, wreck bestow for 4 mana. I suppose the above comment about a just in case bestow is to good thing makes more sense. I wonder what environment they envision where bestow is some monster that needs this card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Right, but at least with some stinkers I can see what they're for, other formats, to build whacky decks etc. This is just like, wreck bestow for 4 mana. I suppose the above comment about a just in case bestow is to good thing makes more sense. I wonder what environment they envision where bestow is some monster that needs this card.

They try to always build failsafes into an environment, in case they miss something from one of the obvious strategies.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Myriad Truths posted:

Revealed on the Magic Europe twitter. Seems like a great tool for Golgari Dredge; fetches Nighthowlers and Whips at least and dumps even more cards to the bin.

There's also Herald of Torment now, but still, I don't know. Not being able to grab lands or mana creatures is a pretty big deal even if it can technically hit some cards in the deck, and being at 3 instead of 2 is also a big deal. In return for that the only thing you get is seeing one more card than Commune/Salvage, and I just don't think that's enough of a bonus. It might be good as self-mill card number 13 and up if they were already running the full twelve of the two mana cards, but it seems like the decklists right now don't even do that (there's already a Commune or two shaved). I'm going to say it doesn't see serious play in Dredge, unless a version of the deck comes out that uses more enchantment creatures.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I always loved the original Terror:

But you can't talk about gross art without mentioning Living Wall:

The old sets had a lot of weird gross stuff sometimes. I miss the more varied art styles.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I had some Magic cards when I was little even though I barely knew how to play. My two favorite arts were Living Wall and Stasis.

(The worst was Arcades Sabboth.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

I had some Magic cards when I was little even though I barely knew how to play. My two favorite arts were Living Wall and Stasis.

What, you got a problem with your dragons being pink?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

...Stasis? Why Stasis? I still don't know what's going on in that art.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Entropic posted:

What, you got a problem with your dragons being pink?

I got a problem with my dragons having ugly horse faces and wearing loving capes

Elyv posted:

It was the only card I ever looked at where I really bought into the old-frame visual metaphor of "this is a page from a wizard's spellbook". The weird abstract art was great for that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Elyv posted:

Nothing's going on! That's the point! :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Whenever I look through card lists from back when I originally played, I'm amazed at all the random cards I completely don't remember. Then I recall that those old sets had completely stupid rarities and stuff that looks common was at rare for no particularly good reason.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

This definitely has a place in my golgari dredge deck post-rotation. But yeah, I do think commune is more worth it, especially because whip and nighthowler are really mostly the only enchantments worth a drat in that deck right now.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Hello, pack 1 pick 1 til I die :)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zorak posted:

From Channel Fireball.

This is such a fierce EDH bomb. Instant-speed exile-a-creature is something Black can't even do right now, and the opportunity to rip into a Cabal Coffers and do it two or three times at once is just insane. The stuff about auras isn't particularly important, except when it randomly is, i.e. trading it for a Rancor'd Solemn Simulacrum.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Man, I love looking through the old sets.
Just found one of my old favorite Ice Age cards:

The artist didn't know what a lemure was and so he drew a lemur. I guess there's something to be said for a tighter art direction process. :v:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Skillface posted:

This definitely has a place in my golgari dredge deck post-rotation. But yeah, I do think commune is more worth it, especially because whip and nighthowler are really mostly the only enchantments worth a drat in that deck right now.

Exactly, this is going in to the deck if it exists post-rotation to "replace" Salvage (it's still a poor replacement). If the Dredge deck gets even more tools in JOU (I'm looking at you, Pharika) and goes even more enchantment heavy it could be included pre-rotation in place of Commune for a sweet turn 2 (with elf) "fill hand and yard" play.

My two wishes for the set are that Pharika is playable in the Dredge deck and that there's some kind of 'Land - Enchantment' card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

But you can't talk about gross art without mentioning Living Wall:

Yeah, all those other cards are gross, sure, but you ain't poo poo unless you've been banned from being reprinted because your art was so offensive. (This is before they decided that changing art was a good thing. See also: Earthbind.)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

The artist didn't know what a lemure was and so he drew a lemur. I guess there's something to be said for a tighter art direction process. :v:

Google does not know what a lemure is either. Look at the image results.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah, all those other cards are gross, sure, but you ain't poo poo unless you've been banned from being reprinted because your art was so offensive. (This is before they decided that changing art was a good thing. See also: Earthbind.)
I remember 4th edition. Everyone was all :supaburn: about the game being dumbed down for kids because they cut all the cards that had offensive art or referenced demons and airbrushed the pentagram out of Unholy Strength.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Veyrall posted:

Also, Sphinx's Revelation got a whopping two comments about how it looked kinda okay.
This card kinda confuses me. I mean, it's about time Black got creature kill spell that can compete with White's whole "Kill a creature SO HARD it's not even a memory", but were Bestowed creatures really such a huge threat? I mean, I guess maybe they thought there'd be a bigger emphasis on Bestowing in Constructed play than there was? Or maybe it's more for limited?

Kruphix seems okay

Because black needs something that has been pretty firmly white? It's not a HUGE threat, but it is getting really old in this block to see cards like this in every single set that further fellate mono black. I know black hasn't had its time to shine in a while, but they even made the event deck black....they're not being subtle in forcing the deck this season and kind of overcompensating. (it would help if they didn't just make ONE event deck per set now)

Woke up to new spoilers and then the inevitable 50+ posts of "Kruphix is terrible and can never be played" and another 50+ of "EDH players don't deserve nice things"....business as usual!

Not going to debate this batch, though, too much work to do today. I'm just going to quietly continue experimenting with Ajani over here :science:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Having two event decks was bad because inevitably one would be way better value and the other would rot on shelves.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I just love its ability...how stupid is that ability.

That is also the cutest lemurE I've ever laid eyes upon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OssiansFolly posted:

I just love its ability...how stupid is that ability.

Wait, how is that a stupid ability?

Lots of old cards have actually stupid abilities though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

JerryLee posted:

There's also Herald of Torment now, but still, I don't know. Not being able to grab lands or mana creatures is a pretty big deal even if it can technically hit some cards in the deck, and being at 3 instead of 2 is also a big deal. In return for that the only thing you get is seeing one more card than Commune/Salvage, and I just don't think that's enough of a bonus. It might be good as self-mill card number 13 and up if they were already running the full twelve of the two mana cards, but it seems like the decklists right now don't even do that (there's already a Commune or two shaved). I'm going to say it doesn't see serious play in Dredge, unless a version of the deck comes out that uses more enchantment creatures.
As someone that has played the dredge deck a bit it's a solid card. Really the bigger issue is the 3 mana requirement even if it seems like that's a small price to pay. The current Dredge decks run a really low curve where you really want to be able to do two things per turn, whether leaving up regen on troll or being able to cast a creature/grisly/commune and maybe toss a kill spell at something. Even so the power of grabbing up to 3 things or just putting 6 cards in the graveyard gives more power to DRS, Troll for discarding, etc. May proxy it up tonight just to check it out, taking out some of the communes or little bit different creature count since filtering will be easier. Any deck that's slow that allows a Dredger the ability to cast this more than twice a game will probably get crushed hard.

It was pointed out that Obzedat, Baron, and a few other BW cards will probably get a price bump up when Atheros the BW god is released since they add quite a bit of devotion. Obzedat adding 4 devotion with the god itself adding 2 with the odds of having an underworld connection or Erebos adding the last points we could see Atheros being constantly used as a creature. BW is about to get really nasty.

• Locked thread