Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress would an Academy Award winning director do in a fighting game anyway?

His final smash is to disappoint people with a new alien film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Seshoho Cian posted:

His final smash is to disappoint people with a new alien film.

Gets a smash ball and the game suddenly shifts to Aliens Colonial Marines. The change cannot be undone.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Cliff Racer posted:

Aside from being dragons what do Ridley and Charizard have in common? Charizard's moves in Brawl were generally slow moving and strong, Ridley was a fast character.

I'm not only referring to Ridley, but also to other requests such as Falco, Dr Mario, Young Link, Roy or Bayonetta (people want Zero Suit Samus' move set on her).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So there's a Tomodachi Collection level in the 3DS version of the game, something I assumed would just be a weird thing US and EU audiences would get to mess with but wouldn't know anything about(like Marth and Roy in Melee), except apparently Tomodachi Collection is being localized, as Tomodachi Life.

And the Nintendo Direct they just released for it is really weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcmx4kC0tiU

I wonder if the inclusion of it as a Smash Bros stage influenced the decision to localize it, or vice-versa?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They probably just need to pad out the 3DS release schedule a bit cause after a brilliant year and a half they've exhausted a lot of major releases.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Captain Pissweak posted:

I can't wait until they confirm Zero Suit Samus' Final Smash is Anthony.

"Samus I've authorized the ability to actually knock people off the stage now."

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'd assume this isn't something they pulled out of their arse to pad out their schedule and more something that's part of a long term plan. The amount of stuff they would of had to translate/localize to release it internationally, especially that voice synthesizer whatever makes me think that they planned to localize it eventually regardless, and the Smash 4 stage is just icing on it's cake. And like, free advertising I guess.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kelp Plankton posted:

So there's a Tomodachi Collection level in the 3DS version of the game, something I assumed would just be a weird thing US and EU audiences would get to mess with but wouldn't know anything about(like Marth and Roy in Melee), except apparently Tomodachi Collection is being localized, as Tomodachi Life.

I wonder if the inclusion of it as a Smash Bros stage influenced the decision to localize it, or vice-versa?

This is really fuckin' weird.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Space T Rex posted:

This. I am actually of the opinion that the skin tight attire makes sense, since I imagine Zero Suit to be a "I just literally just now stepped out of the suit" Zero Suit. But they were like "Ok ZSS is coming back, what do we do? Bigger boobs and high heels? Give this man a promotion!"
I'm pretty fine with a skin tight-suit as well, but her body type does not make sense at all for what she does and has not made sense in anything except that badass super metroid manual pic that is going to get reposted every time this is brought up because it's the only drawing of her they've made that makes sense.

ImpAtom posted:

Ridley flies, shoots fireballs, stabs you with his tail and grabs you. He's not a very distinctive character except in being a reoccurring boss. It seems like making him a Stage Hazard like Yellow Devil (another reoccuring boss) actually fits him a lot better than trying to shoehorn him in as playable. I mean it wouldn't be impossible but it feels like you could capture what makes Ridley Ridley more as a boss or stage hazard than as a playable character.
We've already seen that Ridley's a stage hazard in the Nintendo Direct, so there's even less of a chance.
Too fuckin' big.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man the more I watch the Greninja trailer the more fun he looks to play. He isn't anywhere near my list of favorite Pokemon but he is the best of the new starters and they do a good job selling him in the trailer

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

IronicDongz posted:

We've already seen that Ridley's a stage hazard in the Nintendo Direct, so there's even less of a chance.
Too fuckin' big.

What if they pulled a toon link and he gets replaced by something else when picked.

You never know!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

I don't understand how people would want clones for the sake of having a character in the game.

For the same reason Mugen exists. People want to play as characters they like/know.

quote:

Too fuckin' big.
We saw his shadow - while I'm super skeptical of him being playable, I gotta wonder why they're being so indirect about him.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

IronicDongz posted:

Too fuckin' big.

To be fair, it was only implied that he was a stage hazard. Not that I'd expect to see him in, but there's still a nonzero chance of that happening.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Where did the idea for Ridley not being too big for the game come from anyways? I mean he's always been portrayed as a huge goddamn space dragon except for on the NES Metroid because I'm pretty sure the NES would melt if it had to deal with anything that huge moving that fast.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

And Olimar is smaller than an Ant, while Bowser was bigger than any known smash stage in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Clearly resizing a character isn't out of the question.

People need to stop making weird arbitrary rules or reasoning behind who will and won't get in. It's entirely on Samurai who makes the cut in the end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TARDISman posted:

Where did the idea for Ridley not being too big for the game come from anyways? I mean he's always been portrayed as a huge goddamn space dragon except for on the NES Metroid because I'm pretty sure the NES would melt if it had to deal with anything that huge moving that fast.

I agree with you, but there are going to be pages upon pages of replies calling you an aspergers fool and talking about the relative size of Bowser and how Kirby is 6 inches. I've just always felt like Ridley was supposed to feel like a big dragon and would fit awkwardly if they sized him for Smash, but it's apparently subjective.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TARDISman posted:

Because who gives a poo poo about how big he is in the games? Bowser is a different size every game, Olimar should be like the size of a penny to the other fighters. I don't care about Ridley being in Smash that much besides him being cool looking (I don't really like the Metroid games), but his size in the regular games shouldn't matter.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just think Ridley would look horribly awkward walking around as he's seen flying everywhere or crawling around for a few steps.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So then make him a reverse Little Mac?

Gimp all his attacks on land while buffing all his air attacks, to promote less time on ground with an awkward walking/crawling around the ground animation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kelp Plankton posted:

This is the single most Japanese thing I've ever seen.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just think Ridley would look horribly awkward walking around as he's seen flying everywhere or crawling around for a few steps.

His walk could be that crawling around thing he does in the Primes, run can be the flying hover like Charizard manages.

Crawfish posted:

So then make him a reverse Little Mac?

Gimp all his attacks on land while buffing all his air attacks, to promote less time on ground with an awkward walking/crawling around the ground animation.

This is actually totally what I'd be down for if Ridley got in. He'd work perfectly for it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kelp Plankton posted:

I. What. This. What. What. Well. I'm not ready to rock, but I think I have to get this to make sure I can never understand.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Everyone should watch this.

This is possibly the greatest trailer i've ever seen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The thing is, some people really want Ridley and some people (me included), think he gels awkwardly with the rest of the fighters and never really belonged in Smash. It's an aesthetic choice and we could go back and forth forever about why it makes sense to make Olimar the right size but not Ridley or why it doesn't even matter if they include him full-sized and he works in Project M, etc. etc. The reason it gets hashed out over and over again is because Ridley is probably among the most requested on wish lists and I think the reason he's the most requested has more to do with there being so few viable Metroid characters.

I don't really want Ridley or Waluigi and there are a lot of characters I would love to see before either of them. There's this tiny part of me that's so sick of seeing their names that I hope they include Waluigi riding on Ridley's back, but the only move is immediate suicide. Still, if they got in, I'd actually be glad for the people who wanted him in but happier still that the matter is finally loving put to rest.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Bicyclops posted:

Waluigi riding on Ridley's back

Why. Why would you put this picture in my head. Now no matter how good the game is, it will still disappoint me because this won't be in it. :qq:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you're tired of people mentioning characters they want in Smash, then why even go into a Smash Brothers thread? Like, that's going to be 95% of the discussion just by default.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Endorph posted:

If you're tired of people mentioning characters they want in Smash, then why even go into a Smash Brothers thread? Like, that's going to be 95% of the discussion just by default.

I mean, I'm fine with that, I'd just prefer that 95% of the mentioned characters weren't Waluigi, Simon Belmont and Ridley.

Plus I like seeing the pictures and what people notice about them. Whatever, you're not the boss of me. :colbert:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Alternatively, why not just ignore it?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

:stare: It got real, literally

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crawfish posted:

Every post has a small part of the poster's soul in it. How could you deny a person's life like that?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i think samus looks better in the tomodachi trailer than in smash 4

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Crawfish posted:

I seem to have the exact same opinion that Bicyclops does. In that case, the requests for Ridley and Waluigi don't bother me, it's just old. I do ignore them, but it would be nicer to see more interesting character suggestions, such as Professor Layton. In fact, the request for Professor Layton caused me to check out his games, and they are pretty fun actually.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
add Beedle to smash

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Excels posted:

:stare: It got real, literally

I was hoping she'd look at Iwata and say "Please understand...I'm going to have to keep you waiting a little while longer."

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I was hoping she'd look at Iwata and say "Please understand...I'm going to have to keep you waiting a little while longer."

nah, samus is all about that instant gratification now. she's just a cute girl for men to fawn over, that is her new role apparently (bounty hunting? psh!)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

horriblePencilist posted:

Come on, give it up already. Ridley won't be playable.

I've been reading some reactions on ZSS and they're really annoying. A lot of people complain that Samus wouldn't wear a skin-tight bodysuit to fight. No loving poo poo, that's why she wears the Varia Suit.

The best thing Metroid Prime 3 did was to have it so everyone wore a zero suit underneath the armor. Early in the game you walked past a lot of people in different colored form fitting zero suits and they looked just as stupid as Samus did. This doesn't make the design not awful or anything but I thought Retro's way of dealing with it was funny.

I hope I can still toss armor pieces at other people at the start of the game as ZSS at least. That's always good for a free kill!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 10, 2014

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

IronicDongz posted:

add Beedle to smash
Add Malo to smash :colbert:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

PrBacterio posted:

Add Malo to smash :colbert:

Add Mallow to smash

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Add Doshin The Giant as playable character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Add Mallow to smash

Culex as a stage boss

• Locked thread