Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Lancelot posted:

Can someone recommend me a puzzle-type game where I can just hit pretty colours with my greasy goonfingers while watching bad TV? Ideally something that won't make me lose if I get distracted for 5 minutes.

Threes

EDIT: Pixel Defenders Puzzle is also fun. Plays kind of like Triple Town (another good one). Basically any matching game without a time limit is going to be a good choice.

topiKal fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Puzzle and Dragons. Match pretty colors and collect waifus

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Haven't been keeping up with this, apologies if already answered -- but can anyone tell me about FTL's performance on an original iPad? How crashy is it?

E: V-- Herp derp. Thanks!

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 9, 2014

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

NmareBfly posted:

Haven't been keeping up with this, apologies if already answered -- but can anyone tell me about FTL's performance on an original iPad? How crashy is it?

quote:

Description
***WARNING - Only compatible with iPad 2 or newer -- Will NOT run on iPad 1! ****

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

hahah this is a terrible suggestion what is wrong with you? He asked for something you won't lose if you stop paying attention. FTL notices when you aren't paying attention and makes you loving pay for it.

Unless you're cheesing an enemy for skills.

Skills! SKILLS FOR EVERYONE.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TACD posted:

Color Zen, Dots, Voro, Auditorium maybe (though that one requires sound) all sound like they'd be up your alley.

Edit: Also perhaps Polymer! It has an endless mode.

Puzzle Quest. Angry Birds Epic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

loudog999 posted:

I bought Chrono Trigger to play on my iPad because I have never finished it. I know its an iPhone app, but I figured I could deal with it being a little fuzzy and it would look good enough to play on my Air. Now that I have it installed, it looks like garbage. It is not just blurry, there seems to be missing layers or something, I cant explain so here is a screenshot.

On my phone, Chrono is under the blanket at that point, on the iPad he is a garbled mess laying on top of the blankets. I am jailbroken and running 7.0.4. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

edit: Guess I should add that I have uninstalled reinstalled, tried a bunch of settings in Retinapad, and then uninstalled retinapad, nothing has made a difference.

iOS 7 broke the game. In the description it says an update is coming but it's said that for months so who knows when it'll finally be released.

Bow-street Bastard
Mar 27, 2010

Can anyone tell me how Skulls of the Shogun plays on the 4S? (I dont mean performance which I am guessing will be ok, I am just meaning playability)

Edit: from reviews it looks like performance sucks. Oh well.

Bow-street Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bow-street Bastard posted:

Can anyone tell me how Skulls of the Shogun plays on the 4S? (I dont mean performance which I am guessing will be ok, I am just meaning playability)

Edit: from reviews it looks like performance sucks. Oh well.

It works fine.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

iOS 7 broke the game. In the description it says an update is coming but it's said that for months so who knows when it'll finally be released.

Thanks for that, I guess I will just leave it installed and hope for the best.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

loudog999 posted:

This was me with Chinatown Wars for a long time.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I like FTL, but holy hell is that game random as gently caress. Sometimes you super weapons, a poo poo of crew men for free, and enemies will drop tons of supplies. However most the time you will get nothing and just slowly die in frustration

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Warhammer Quest just went free, y'all.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Kenny Logins posted:

Oooooohhhh thanks goodness I waited. Been itching to buy it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

God drat it, I just bought it. Between that and Chrono Trigger being garbage both happening this week, it makes me want to never pay for a game again.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Shwqa posted:

I like FTL, but holy hell is that game random as gently caress. Sometimes you super weapons, a poo poo of crew men for free, and enemies will drop tons of supplies. However most the time you will get nothing and just slowly die in frustration

Yeah. At least with the new update it's less likely that you'll never have a weapon store generate, which was probably the king of the frustrating wasting away situations. Though I think it makes up for the removing that particular poo poo scenario by having the Flagship get a hacking station.

The tricks to FTL are really:
1. Never making a mistake (but see #2)
2. Not getting too much and too close together awful luck moments completely outside of your control (and this happens).
3. Knowing what the most "efficient" tactics are.
4. Doing #1 and #2 for two solid hours or more.

I still like FTL, but I find myself playing it infrequently just due to #4. Same situation with Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup on PC, in which I really like the game but don't like the part where I have to plow through the early and middle parts for four hours. I think permadeath games like Spelunky have it right, where a long run is about an hour.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

topiKal posted:

Threes

EDIT: Pixel Defenders Puzzle is also fun. Plays kind of like Triple Town (another good one). Basically any matching game without a time limit is going to be a good choice.

Threes is amazing for every situation. Just wish it didn't take so long to load if you haven't opened it in a few hours.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Pokémon ripoff Hunter Island is also currently free.

loudog999 posted:

God drat it, I just bought it. Between that and Chrono Trigger being garbage both happening this week, it makes me want to never pay for a game again.
The iOS Games Megathread: it makes me want to never pay for a game again

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

loudog999 posted:

It's the law of the internet, for anything to go on sale a goon has to pay full price for it first. We thank you for your sacrifice.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Zigmidge posted:

hahah this is a terrible suggestion what is wrong with you? He asked for something you won't lose if you stop paying attention. FTL notices when you aren't paying attention and makes you loving pay for it.

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
It isn't, that guy is serious about how little he regards your opinion. And to be fair, the initial request was for like, Bejeweled Blitz or something. Something he can play on LSD. Not FTL. FTL would give you the loving screaming heebie jeebies on LSD. Anyway, he's not being sarcastic. I can't imagine having like, three mantis jump to your ship in the middle of a losing firefight would do you much good on mushies either. I'd suggest Super Hexagon, not because if you look away you die, but because you're already dead if you considered looking away.

EDIT: FTL is great, though. <3

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Urdnot Fire posted:

The Pokémon ripoff Hunter Island is also currently free.
The iOS Games Megathread: it makes me want to never pay for a game again

They changed the FEVER! thing on egg rolls so it's not a set-in-stone thing. Getting a 5000 gold prize or two let you feed back in on itself while getting a bunch of decent stuff and the occasional actually useful monster was nice. :(

It's a fun time killer. The online dungeons they put up aren't bad though if you don't have a beastly team your odds of clearing some of them at all is pretty much zero.

io_burn posted:

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

If FTL made use of the iPad's camera to notice when your face wasn't pointed at the screen it'd be the best kind of evil.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

axleblaze posted:

It's not an IOS game, but you should look into Steamworld Dig.

Kinda curious about this one. Looks interesting but I've heard it's on the linear-ish side, which I'm fine with overall, but it's not making me drop everything to pick it up.

Anyone else have picks for a Pocket-Mine-but-better option for ios?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

spider wisdom posted:

Kinda curious about this one. Looks interesting but I've heard it's on the linear-ish side, which I'm fine with overall, but it's not making me drop everything to pick it up.

Anyone else have picks for a Pocket-Mine-but-better option for ios?

Ridiculous Fishing. (Going off the verticality comments)

Terraria if you want digging, but that's slower paced and not necessarily a puzzle.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

Downloading it now, thanks.

I noticed it has quite a bit of IAP. Any of it worth it?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kempy posted:

Downloading it now, thanks.

I noticed it has quite a bit of IAP. Any of it worth it?

The expansion packs are good as they add a decent amount of content. Otherwise the extra classes flavor as you like. I don't remember any of the extra classes being abhorrently bad, but definitely not necessary.

None of it is strictly a Win More button if that is a concern.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Color Zen, Dots, Voro, Auditorium maybe (though that one requires sound) all sound like they'd be up your alley.

Edit: Also perhaps Polymer! It has an endless mode.

Voro is exactly what I was looking for but never expected, thanks! Colour Zen also looks neat.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
This looks interesting...

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile. Anyone try it yet?

http://appshopper.com/games/rollercoaster-tycoon%c2%ae-4-mobile

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dragonrah posted:

Paid, two currencies, and social network spamming. Big loving NOPE.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

loudog999 posted:

You might want to cut your losses and ask for a refund because even when it's working "as intended", the controls are abysmal. They're easily the worst controls I've seen on a Square-Enix iOS port.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm new to iOS and I'm trying not to go nuts and buy a bunch of games at full price.
Is there any way to predict major sales?
I am interested in XCOM and Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery.
Edit: Paid full price for FTL though. :sweatdrop:

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 10, 2014

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm new to iOS and I'm trying not to go nuts and buy a bunch of games at full price.

Sales are entirely up to the developer, so if they're not saying anything then there's no way to know. In truth I wouldn't expect XCOM to go on sale any time unless the expansion ever actually hits iOS, but as of right now there's no evidence that it ever will. It's easily worth the $20 though, you're buying a full-fledged AAA title. I don't know anything about Superbrothers so no comment on that :v:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

Edit: Paid full price for FTL though. :sweatdrop:

Looking at the sales history Superbrothers seems to do a summer sales and a winter sale. So it might go on sale in a month or two.

Edit: also Xcom seems to go on sale once a month? I don't remember that but that is what app shopper says.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 10, 2014

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'm relatively new to the iOS anything scene so please excuse my obvious lack of knowledge.

How do I purchase an app that is free right now that I'm afraid might go back to a paid app (Warhammer Quest)?

Is it possible to purchase an app/game or download an app/game from a PC and send it to my device a la Google Play?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You need to use iTunes to buy it. If you have automatic downloads enabled on your device for apps, it will automatically load on there, otherwise you can download it from the "purchased" tab of the app store.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'm relatively new to the iOS anything scene so please excuse my obvious lack of knowledge.

How do I purchase an app that is free right now that I'm afraid might go back to a paid app (Warhammer Quest)?

Is it possible to purchase an app/game or download an app/game from a PC and send it to my device a la Google Play?

Once you have "bought" an app you can redownload it anytime you you want. You can't even buy the app on accident. downloading an app while it is free is considered buying the app. So it will be free for you forever.

You can connect your iOS device to a computer and download the app via computer. This actually helps if you don't have a lot of space on the iOS device because then the computer downloads the installer.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Dragonrah posted:

WHYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?! I would pay $40 for an amusing iOS port of Rollercoaster Tycoon!

:cry: The art looks amazing.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Dragonrah posted:

Argh - looks so, so so bad, but I'm still tempted because it's RCT. Anyone able to confirm how bad the freemium rape-age is?

Oof, from the TA forums:

quote:

Graphics are crap.
Animations are crap.
The introduction video was crap.(no limit to your imagination!)
There is no personal/staff you need to take care off.
There is no building waiting lines.
There is no remodelling.
There is EXP, there is tickets and there is gold. (ouch im sorry but you dont have enough EXP to build this, would you like to level up fast by buying this pack of 5 euro? thanks for your purchase! Would you like to place this attraction now? Ok! Building, construction will be complete in 2 weeks! im sorry but you dont have enough tycoon tickets to speed this process up! Would you like to buy some for 5 euro?) .... and i'm not including gold here...
There is no cute music's you can give to attraction.
There is not the vibrant and alive sounds like we used to have.
Guests are no longer "brained" . They walk around full solo & yolo.
No advanced editting in landscapes anymore like making mountains and deep lakes.
Timers everywhere like already mentioned.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 10, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doesn't even look like it has a terrain editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Hitman Go, that Hitman strategy game with the cool board-game aesthetic from a month or two back, is releasing worldwide on the 17th. $5/Ł3/€4.5, 68 levels at launch. No mention of IAP, but they say you can unlock everything by completing all the side-missions, so that's good.

• Locked thread