Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

Is there a better phone for a rooted experience than Nexus 5? I'm on US AT&T. Due for an upgrade, wanted people's opinions. TIA.
Nope. Coincidentally it's probably the best for a non-rooted experience.

The thread title is accurate, you really don't need to do this anymore. I do it because I always have (dunno if I'd want to give up AdAway) but really everything just works fine if you leave it alone on a Nexus or a Moto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

LastInLine posted:

The thread title is accurate, you really don't need to do this anymore. I do it because I always have (dunno if I'd want to give up AdAway) but really everything just works fine if you leave it alone on a Nexus or a Moto.

I actually hadn't noticed the thread title change. Noted. Thanks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Remember that you've been able to outright disable bloatware since 4.0, and it's not like rooting your phone and removing that stuff from /system frees up any user-accessible space.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

I actually hadn't noticed the thread title change. Noted. Thanks.
There are only four reasons to root your phone:
  • AdBlocking - and then really just in the browser because holy poo poo the web is horrible with ads
  • Backing up apps that don't sync and store data correctly - mostly games
  • Tweaking the interface - something like Xposed/GravityBox
  • Running a custom ROM because the stock software is so bad

Using a Nexus/Moto, the last one doesn't apply. The third is just aspergers talking (full disclosure: I use Xposed/GB on my Nexus). The other two are genuinely convenient and useful.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kitten smoothie posted:

Remember that you've been able to outright disable bloatware since 4.0

Note, however, that this isn't true in every case. I wasn't able to disable all the crap that my parents' Verizon Droid Ms came with.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Note, however, that this isn't true in every case. I wasn't able to disable all the crap that my parents' Verizon Droid Ms came with.

Yup, lots of garbage is unable to be disabled on a T-Mobile Galaxy S4, too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

There are only four reasons to root your phone:
  • Backing up apps that don't sync and store data correctly - mostly
That one can be done with Helium without root, though it does require a computer to start the ADB daemon.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

That one can be done with Helium without root, though it does require a computer to start the ADB daemon.

Atleast once every reboot. It's not a terrible solution, but it's good enough if you need to switch phones or whatever.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

Helium says I can not back up some of my games, such as Pixel Dungeon. However, titanium backup works fine. Otherwise I'd unroot my phone so I can get the OTA of 4.4.2 for the HTC One. As far as I can tell from XDA no one has released the stock rooted 4.4.2

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Helium says I can not back up some of my games, such as Pixel Dungeon. However, titanium backup works fine. Otherwise I'd unroot my phone so I can get the OTA of 4.4.2 for the HTC One. As far as I can tell from XDA no one has released the stock rooted 4.4.2
That's true. Because Helium uses ADB backup, it obeys android:allowBackup which can be set by an app dev to prevent backups. I can't imagine why anyone would do that on a game but there you go, some devs are stupid I guess.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Unless you want to use things that require root.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

That's true. Because Helium uses ADB backup, it obeys android:allowBackup which can be set by an app dev to prevent backups. I can't imagine why anyone would do that on a game but there you go, some devs are stupid I guess.

Ah I did not realize that's the reason why. I'll have to get around to unrooting but can't figure out if that will erase everything on my phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Unless you want to use things that require root.

Nobody is saying otherwise. He's saying you don't NEED root because the newer generations of phones aren't broken out of the box (for the most part).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Ah I did not realize that's the reason why. I'll have to get around to unrooting but can't figure out if that will erase everything on my phone.
It depends exactly what you mean by "unrooting" but in the most literally accurate sense of the term, you just go into Superuser / SuperSU, tell it to delete the binary, and then uninstall the app.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

Is there a better phone for a rooted experience than Nexus 5? I'm on US AT&T. Due for an upgrade, wanted people's opinions. TIA.

I just picked up a Developer Edition Moto X (from a Nexus 5) and it was easily no more difficult to unlock and root than my Nexus 5. And its a really sweet device. I can't really say one is better than the other but definately worth a look before you pull the trigger

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, I almost made it through the week-long experiment on stock without having my phone experience the "can't fully wake up" glitch, but it happened today. I think every time it's happened, I've been streaming Google Music. I'll leave Xposed off for another week and try using another streaming service to see if it happens again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Well, I almost made it through the week-long experiment on stock without having my phone experience the "can't fully wake up" glitch, but it happened today. I think every time it's happened, I've been streaming Google Music. I'll leave Xposed off for another week and try using another streaming service to see if it happens again.
Off or installed?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Off or installed?

Umm, deactivated?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Umm, deactivated?
My issues didn't go away until I hit the Uninstall button in the Framework section of Xposed. Simply deactivating the modules did nothing to solve the problems I was having.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

My issues didn't go away until I hit the Uninstall button in the Framework section of Xposed. Simply deactivating the modules did nothing to solve the problems I was having.

I guess I did uninstall it, then. I just looked in that section now (previously just at the main page of Xposed) and hit the uninstall button and was told that there's no backup.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

It depends exactly what you mean by "unrooting" but in the most literally accurate sense of the term, you just go into Superuser / SuperSU, tell it to delete the binary, and then uninstall the app.

That and replace the bootloader. I thought I'd use the access to root more but I really don't.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

That and replace the bootloader. I thought I'd use the access to root more but I really don't.
There's no reason for this to cause you to lose data. Just find the stock recovery and flash it in fastboot. (But always take a backup, etc.)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
So apparently the 4.4.3 update might be imminent for the N5. I'm trying to make the update as painless as possible - currently I'm stock rooted, with Xposed+GB installed. I've backed up the GB settings. Do I need to fully deactivate/uninstall Xposed before updating when the time comes?

Then after the update, I assume the procedure to get back to where I am now would be to re-flash custom recovery, re-flash Xposed in recovery, re-install GB in Xposed, restore my GB settings, reboot, profit?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

sirbeefalot posted:

So apparently the 4.4.3 update might be imminent for the N5. I'm trying to make the update as painless as possible - currently I'm stock rooted, with Xposed+GB installed. I've backed up the GB settings. Do I need to fully deactivate/uninstall Xposed before updating when the time comes?

Then after the update, I assume the procedure to get back to where I am now would be to re-flash custom recovery, re-flash Xposed in recovery, re-install GB in Xposed, restore my GB settings, reboot, profit?

Since you have a custom recovery you won't get the update automatically. You can wait till someone releases a rooted stock recovery. As for xposed etc, not sure.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

This will be my first time using Xposed through an update but my guess is that the update *should* just apply over top. Xposed doesn't alter any system files so it shouldn't break it (though as deong says, the custom recovery will have to be pointed to the update rather than it automatically working).

You'll then have to flash the custom recovery and re-root if that's your thing. Setting Xposed back up once you've rooted should be as simple as going into the framework app and hitting install then rebooting.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively you can fastboot update the factory image when it appears, then proceed as above with regards to root/Xposed. This avoids having to reflash recovery but it's pretty much the same thing either way.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Pixel Dungeon is a roguelike. Saving is a no-no. There's not much game data in that game to transfer anyways, so it's not really a big deal. Maybe games with IAP premiums like to prevent you from saving before a purchase to some how game the system?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What are people's opinion here of the SGS5? I ask here rather than the generic cell phone thread because I specifically want the opinion of other root users. I'm not necessarily planning on rooting it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ScarletBrother posted:

What are people's opinion here of the SGS5? I ask here rather than the generic cell phone thread because I specifically want the opinion of other root users. I'm not necessarily planning on rooting it.

Well if it ends up like the SGS4, then apparently if you wanted to root it it'd be best to buy one now because later models will make it substantially harder.

Personally I think it looks rather nice, but I don't see a reason to stop using my less than a year old SGS4 to buy one. Biggest thing it does that might be useful to you is the fingerprint sensor, and it's able to take microsds up to 128 gb rather than the 4 only going up to 64 gb. However, it's only available in 16 and 32 gb onboard storage while the S 4 is currently available with up to 64 gb.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Install Windows posted:

Well if it ends up like the SGS4, then apparently if you wanted to root it it'd be best to buy one now because later models will make it substantially harder.

Personally I think it looks rather nice, but I don't see a reason to stop using my less than a year old SGS4 to buy one. Biggest thing it does that might be useful to you is the fingerprint sensor, and it's able to take microsds up to 128 gb rather than the 4 only going up to 64 gb. However, it's only available in 16 and 32 gb onboard storage while the S 4 is currently available with up to 64 gb.

Right now I am using a Nexus 4, so the 5 would be a pretty substantial power upgrade. I am also debating between the Moto X and just an unlocked Nexus 5. Saving some money by using an upgrade is tempting though.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

ScarletBrother posted:

The s5 was rooted the day before release and there is already a cwm recovery for it. No roms as far as I know yet.

However, root will trip Knox, as far as I know, no way around that and possibly never will be.

I'm waiting to make sure I don't have any hardware defects before tripping Knox. I do find 4.4 annoying without root due to the external SD write restrictions.

Edit apparently the s5 update that just came out locked the bootloader.

Edit quick correction, Att and Verizon have locked bootloaders. I'm on us cell rooted with custom recovery.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 19, 2014

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm having a bastard of a time getting my 4.4 (Cyanogen) Galaxy S2 to scan my sd card. My music player was displaying the wrong thumbnails so I decided to clear cache on the Media app, but when I went to trigger a sd card rescan (I had an app) it just crashed when opening.

I googled a bit, and apparently most of those "rescan media" apps are crashing in 4.4 because of something they did to the "storage mounted" broadcast permissions or some such. SD Scanner and these two do... something, but I need to input the path to the sd card manually (strorage/sdcard1, as sdcard0 is the phone's internal storage), but when I do that it scans sdcard0 and then just stops.

I tried going into Settings -> Dev options -> Launch tools and trigger the sd scan manually, but it just tells me "broadcasted storage mnounted flag" and then does nothing again.

If I go to apps -> running I can see MediaScannerService under Media, which stays there keeping my phone awake for like two hours, but then, again, there's nothing under gallery or my media player (no pictures, videos or music).

Any ideas? :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm having a bastard of a time getting my 4.4 (Cyanogen) Galaxy S2 to scan my sd card. My music player was displaying the wrong thumbnails so I decided to clear cache on the Media app, but when I went to trigger a sd card rescan (I had an app) it just crashed when opening.

I googled a bit, and apparently most of those "rescan media" apps are crashing in 4.4 because of something they did to the "storage mounted" broadcast permissions or some such. SD Scanner and these two do... something, but I need to input the path to the sd card manually (strorage/sdcard1, as sdcard0 is the phone's internal storage), but when I do that it scans sdcard0 and then just stops.

I tried going into Settings -> Dev options -> Launch tools and trigger the sd scan manually, but it just tells me "broadcasted storage mnounted flag" and then does nothing again.

If I go to apps -> running I can see MediaScannerService under Media, which stays there keeping my phone awake for like two hours, but then, again, there's nothing under gallery or my media player (no pictures, videos or music).

Any ideas? :(
I'm sure you've tried it but I don't see it listed: reboot?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure you've tried it but I don't see it listed: reboot?

A few thousand times. :v:

I -kind- of fixed it installing SDFix and then using one of those scanners I mentioned were looking into the wrong folder, and now my music's there at least. I'll fix the pictures later, I'm bored of tinkering with it for now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone rooted an Xperia T (or similar-era Sony device)?

Apparently Sony put the recovery image on the kernel partition, replacing the kernel made it bootloop, flashtool doesn't support installing FTFs from fastboot, and the official flashing tool which can restore me to the original firmware only runs on Windows (I'm on a Mac) and doesn't work with an unlocked bootloader.

Currently I would like to murder everyone at Sony who contributed to this disaster of a phone.

(I don't care about the device, it's a company-owned test device that I need to root for some root detection stuff. I told them to just let me root the Nexus 4 but oh no, that was "being used". I'm just frustrated because I've wasted all day trying to unfuck this thing.)

Edit: I hacked SuperSU into a stock ROM and then dropped the system partition into a flashable zip and flashed it through TWRP. And amazingly that actually worked. Wow, this'll teach me for giving a presentation on root access and becoming "the guy who knows how to root poo poo".

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 16, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Dyscrasia posted:

However, root will trip Knox, as far as I know, no way around that and possibly never will be.
This is also true for the Note 3, and I think it's going to be the case for every Samsung device from now on. It burns an e-fuse, too, so it's irreversible:

quote:

However, due to the use of a customized recovery image, CF-Auto-Root will trigger the security protection embedded in the trusted boot process, and an e-fuse will be burned to indicate that a non-KNOX kernel image has been loaded to the device. For example, some KNOX security mechanisms, such as SE for Android, will trigger an e-fuse if the system is booted with an arbitrary kernel, kernel initialization script or data, and therefore be disabled and no longer function correctly.

From https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog/about-cf-auto-root

I understand why they're doing this, I guess it can't be helped if they want to target businesses and such. Still, it kinda sucks.

I rooted my Note anyway though.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I've got a 4.2 rooted s4 that I've held out updating so as not to fall into the Knox fray. I'd like to be able to update past Jellybean and eventually will when my warranty runs out.

But if this Knox thing means my company may down the line allow us to toss our blackberries in favor of an android I'll be loving ecstatic.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

tjones posted:

I've got a 4.2 rooted s4 that I've held out updating so as not to fall into the Knox fray. I'd like to be able to update past Jellybean and eventually will when my warranty runs out.

But if this Knox thing means my company may down the line allow us to toss our blackberries in favor of an android I'll be loving ecstatic.

Yeah, I totally understand why Samsung is doing this. If they want businesses to consider their products then they don't really have a choice. Sure, it'll inconvenience/annoy some people, but they're a tiny percentage of their customers anyway.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Wait, how does an arbitrary e-fuse help them land business accounts? When your job gives you a company phone you just don't tamper with it because your job is worth more than a 500 dollar phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

revolther posted:

Wait, how does an arbitrary e-fuse help them land business accounts? When your job gives you a company phone you just don't tamper with it because your job is worth more than a 500 dollar phone.
Lots of businesses refuse to adopt Android because they don't think it's secure. It's not so much fear that the employee will mess with the phone, it's fear that someone else will gain access to information/files/whatever, if the phone is lost or stolen. Basically,

quote:

Once the e-fuse bit is burned, a Samsung KNOX-enabled device can no longer create a KNOX Container, or access the data previously stored in an existing KNOX Container. This is a mechanism to ensure that enterprise data will be protected as long as the rooting attempt is detected.

It's there to make it so that it's impossible to access enterprise data if the e-fuse is burned. Here's a ridiculous infographic that describes what it does.