Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

"I don't love to fight, I don't want to fight" is indeed something coming from a guy who jumped his opponent in a hospital because he was pissed about the decision.
Or the guy who initiated the Strikeforce brawl because he didn't like the guy's hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That's the most rational I've ever heard Nick tbh, and I can understand his reasoning. He's an entertaining fighter and I'd love him back at the UFC, but not fighting for the belt unless he's earned it. Fighting Lombard seems an easy way to get a title shot, especially if it's 5 rounds, but apparently he doesn't think it's worth it. Of all the guys near a title shot right now (Woodley, Rory and Lombard) Hector is definitely the only one I can see Nick beating.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The just don't respond tactic of salary negotiation doesn't seem like the best plan

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I got to talk to Nate at length and he seriously hates hating people, and he has to hate them to fight them, because, Diaz. I can see how it sounds paradoxical, but I believe what nick says in that regard.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I like Diaz a lot more after he taunted Hendricks as he shivered on the scale.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm one of the few Diaz fans here but what is this "He sounds rational for once" and "he's right" poo poo? He's saying he won't fight Hector Lombard for anything less than half a million dollars...is it really rational to think Nick Diaz should get that type of money? I realize he's a draw but he also hasn't won a fight since he beat up BJ Penn's corpse and how many guys really make that sort of money in the UFC right now?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Ty1990 posted:

I'm one of the few Diaz fans here

Not remotely

Ty1990 posted:

but what is this "He sounds rational for once" and "he's right" poo poo? He's saying he won't fight Hector Lombard for anything less than half a million dollars...is it really rational to think Nick Diaz should get that type of money?

He's saying he doesn't need to fight, doesn't enjoy fighting and doesn't want to do it unless the money is good enough to warrant being punched in the face, this is a reasonable thought process for a human being to have

Ty1990 posted:

I realize he's a draw but he also hasn't won a fight since he beat up BJ Penn's corpse and how many guys really make that sort of money in the UFC right now?

Who cares

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Yuriy posted:

He's saying he doesn't need to fight, doesn't enjoy fighting and doesn't want to do it unless the money is good enough to warrant being punched in the face, this is a reasonable thought process for a human being to have

I thought when people said it sounded reasonable they were saying "Half a mil to fight Lombard...yea he deserves it". Putting it the way you just did makes way more sense.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I'd love him back at the UFC, but not fighting for the belt unless he's earned it.

why

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Ty1990 posted:

I'm one of the few Diaz fans here but what is this "He sounds rational for once" and "he's right" poo poo? He's saying he won't fight Hector Lombard for anything less than half a million dollars...is it really rational to think Nick Diaz should get that type of money? I realize he's a draw but he also hasn't won a fight since he beat up BJ Penn's corpse and how many guys really make that sort of money in the UFC right now?

Wasn't there some UFC poll on Hendrick's next opponent and the far away majority was Diaz?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yep. Though I hope that no one is shocked that people who choose to watch MMA may make questionable decisions.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Aurain posted:

Yep. Though I hope that no one is shocked that people who choose to watch MMA may make questionable decisions.

People were complaining when Chris Weidman was going to fight Anderson Silva due to being an unknown and not deserving the mighty Anderson. Popularity power is a dumb thing.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Yuriy posted:

Who cares

People care because it's an unreasonable expectation that we're responding to, regardless of his other good points

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tweets from Abu Schaubi and Hunto seem to suggest that they're going to be fighting next, after the speculation about it.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

the least weasel posted:

People care because it's an unreasonable expectation that we're responding to, regardless of his other good points

He said he'd fight anyone if the money was right, just that Hendricks guarantees that the money is right since he's the champ...

How is this confusing or unreasonable?

He wants to get paid

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so did they have a Nick Diaz translator or did his CTS clear up?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I like Diaz a lot more after he taunted Hendricks as he shivered on the scale.

That's what he'll do.

The Lombard fight would be ok. Lombard would probably dominate the first round, then gas and start to eat a gazillion punches to the face and body. Diaz by decision or late submission.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

fatherdog posted:

"I don't love to fight, I don't want to fight" is indeed something coming from a guy who jumped his opponent in a hospital because he was pissed about the decision.

This is a good point, but he's said several times that if he could make the money he does in MMA by doing triathlons instead he'd never fight again.

He probably meant fight professionally.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

I'm one of the few Diaz fans here

Interesting theory

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

origami posted:

Interesting theory

Most of the regulars here don't really like Nick Diaz and, if I recall correctly, were pretty happy with GSP dominating him a year ago.

99% of people here were thrilled that Condit beat him but I'll chalk that up to Condit being cool moreso than people not liking Nick.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I have no idea what threads you've been reading, man. Err'yone loves a Diaz. People make fun of people who think that he won the Condit fight, but the man himself is one of the great sources of comedy in MMA. And he puts on super fun fights to boot.

Nibbles141 posted:

Wasn't there some UFC poll on Hendrick's next opponent and the far away majority was Diaz?

And Kobe Bryant was voted into this years NBA all star game after playing like 5 games this year. Fans are stupid, and popularity is a pretty lovely metric for deciding who's gonna fight the next title shot. I know we're living in a post GSP/Diaz and Jones/Sonnen era so they throw in fun fights sometime, but the UFC still vaguely operates under the pretence that the best fighters get the shot. It would piss the gently caress out of all the other contenders at welterweight, too.

No one really gets mainstream popularity until they actually have the belt. He's gonna draw more than Woodley/Rory/Lawler/etc. and will continue to do so until one of them becomes champ. Being the champ doesn't guarantee popularity either, but it's practically a pre-requisite. Like we could just circlejerk popularity and have champs fight ex champs to max buy rates, but at a certain point you have to introduce new talent to the pool, especially when the new guys are clearly better fighters.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 10, 2014

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

attackmole posted:

I have no idea what threads you've been reading, man. Err'yone loves a Diaz. People make fun of people who think that he won the Condit fight, but the man himself is one of the great sources of comedy in MMA. And he puts on super fun fights to boot.

I could be very wrong about the GSP thing as I was too lazy to go back and read the thread.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Enjoying watching someone lose is not mutually exclusive with liking them (see: Stefan Struve).

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

I could be very wrong about the GSP thing as I was too lazy to go back and read the thread.

He was well regarded when I started reading this forum, but by that time, it was the second straight time he had retired because he was beat up.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Just because I enjoy watching Georges school you hilariously for 5 rounds doesn't mean I don't like you.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Enjoying watching someone lose is not mutually exclusive with liking them (see: Stefan Struve).

This is a really good point.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nick Diaz is like Goku. Several months of grunting and yelling followed by an all too brief fight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wouldn't say I had that great of an opinion of Nick in the Condit fight, but god bless him for giving his full backing to his fans' denial of the obvious loss. And for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14TuicHBzkI

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's Hendo teaching all of us how to properly drop the H-bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7q001ZbIU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Nick Diaz is entertaining in all aspects of his mma career and for that I am a grateful fan.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Coincidently I was clearing out old notes on my iPhone yesterday and found a comment I typed after Condit v Diaz. At the time the Forums were crashing often on my phone so I typed it in notes and meant to paste it in the UFC thread, but forgot. I'll just leave it right here:

On 7am Feb 12, 2012, I posted:

"I watched the fight at home with a couple MMA friends.

We all thought Diaz won round 1 and 2, although they were pretty close. Condit was moving straight back and fell into Nick's game several times. Then rounds 3 and 4 were clearly Condit's, with Diaz looking silly and confused. I don't even remember him connecting at all in one of the rounds.  

When five began, it was conceivably even on the scorecards although Carlos most certainly had huge momentum going in his favor.  He seemed to continue to win the striking, despite Diaz picking up the pace. The round was closer than 3 and 4 but still leaning towards Carlos when Diaz took his back and got him down. At that point it looked like Diaz might be able to steal the round, if not submit Condit. He stayed active and looked good on the ground until he went for the armbar and finished the fight getting elbowed by Los.

The judging criteria says the fifth should be awarded to the more successful striker since the round was primarily fought standing, but since the standup was sort of close and Diaz had the single most dominant minute(s) of the fight, I'd like to give him the 5th round.

We are all fans of both guys but were cheering for Diaz for the comedy factor. the overall vibe we had before the decision was sadness because Condit would get the decision. That said it should have been 3-2 condit or 3-2 Diaz. 4-1 Condit doesn't make sense to me."

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mean Bean Machine posted:

He's an entertaining fighter and I'd love him back at the UFC, but not fighting for the belt unless he's earned it.

Well then they should just change the rules so that any welterweight champion has to fight Diaz as every second fight.

Problem solved and everybody wins.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

quote:

Have you ever seen me knock somebody out and make a big scene? Hell no. I threw my hands up and walk around pissed off because, f*ck, that could have been me. That wasn't fun."

Much like his striking: Every so often Diaz goes hard to the gut after some nonsense pitter-patter.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Nick Diaz is one of the smartest retarded people I know about.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
It'd be sweet if after welterweight defenses there's be like a sick lightning strike graphic on the zuffatron and Nick Diaz comes out for a lightning round title defense and if he wins he immediately vacates the belt.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've been a fan of Nick for years, since his fight with Gomi. I didn't follow him outside the UFC, but I enjoyed Nate as he entered the UFC with the identical style and attitude. Both of them have been spewing even more bullshit than normal lately; I suspect they realize that poo poo-talking earns them money, which makes it feel less authentic than before.

But I'd love to see Nick come back, even for the title, despite not deserving it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That last gif is such a great sequence, he starts going to the body and right when the elbows drop low enough he switches back to the head, then immediately dodges the counter like he had an egg timer on it. Goddamn.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Nick Diaz is one of the smartest retarded people I know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I really wish he'd take the Lombard fight and get to headline a card with it. I don't think there's any result that fight could have that wouldn't be hilarious.

• Locked thread