Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Schizoguy posted:

(Tumbledeez)

So far so good. I haven't randomly died yet.

The coins that you collect during the game seem to have little to nothing to do with the coins that you use to buy stuff; why isn't there just a 1-to-1 relationship?

Do we even need the other two game modes now that we have Adventure mode? They just seem superfluous.

There's not a 1-to-1 because in Adventure mode, you get points for distance and gold, then Coins based on the score total. I wanted to try to make it not as gold-focused as Gold Rush mode (which is why the distance ticks up faster than in plain Distance mode). The single coin counts for about 1/2 a Coin, the pile is about 2, and the sack is 4. You also get the Coins in both other modes, with a higher score-to-coin breakdown since there's only one way to score in each.

Honestly, the Coin thing was a temporary name that I couldn't think of anything better for. Credits? TumbleBucks? Nothing really sounded good. It may still get renamed.

And what I'll probably do next time I sit down and work on it (I've been tinkering with this, which may or may not become a real game) is move Adventure to the top of the game mode list, and keep the other two as more mini-games. My wife is my test group, and she doesn't play games, ever. I found that when she played Adventure mode, she never used any of the items unless I was hanging over her shoulder asking her to try them. So leaving in the simple mode and the only slightly more complex mode helps with the super casual (ie: Flappy Bird) crowd. Plus they're still a source of Coins and have their own leaderboards, so it's not a waste to play them.

There's definitely still work to do. I've been learning quite a bit messing with this other project, so I can probably fix a few things here and there, and there are still a few things I'd like to add in. Then it's all in on trying to make a Pokemon clone, I think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Ineptitude posted:

Speaking of Puzzle Craft, does anyone know when Android will receive Puzzle Craft's "Treasure Hunt" update? (the version 1.12 update, Android currently has 1.09)

It has been out on iOS for over a year now, but no amount of Googling have led me any closer to figure out if it is ever coming to Android.
I did discover that the Android Puzzle Craft is ported by a different company though, which is probably the reason for the update not being out yet.

Issues like this makes me regret swapping to Android :(

Sorry for the late answer, but I've been hella busy with Another Case Solved.

Due to things beyond our control (contractual obligations, etc.) we unfortunately don't expect the Treasure Hunt update to appear on Android in the nearest future. Sorry :(

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
For anyone who somehow hasn't played it yet on any of the many other platforms its already been released on, season one of The Walking Dead Telltale Adventure Game is finally out on the Play Store. Episode one is free, with each subsequent episode and bonus ep 400 Days $5 each. There is a discounted season pass however for around $16.

In other releases, Impossible Road, a super hard minimalist ball rolling game that got some good reviews when it debuted on iOS a year ago is also out for Android, while OrangePixel (Heroes of Loot, Meganoid) has a new shooter called Groundskeeper 2 that should be good for some mindless fun.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 9, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mrkillboy posted:

So here's some footage of the new Crazy Taxi for mobiles that's coming out soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r03UGPscXqI

Its not an endless runner as speculated but it does seem to play similar to those games but with a mission based structure. The open world is gone and the new music is pretty awful. Still, I'll probably give it a go when it comes out.

my childhood :negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mrkillboy posted:

So here's some footage of the new Crazy Taxi for mobiles that's coming out soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r03UGPscXqI

Its not an endless runner as speculated but it does seem to play similar to those games but with a mission based structure. The open world is gone and the new music is pretty awful. Still, I'll probably give it a go when it comes out.

That looks like fun, even if you can't manually drive where you want anymore.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Crayzeh Taxeh...

I dunno, that looks like it plays exactly like an endless runner to me, even if it's actually mission based. Nice presentation and it could be fun, but it definitely looks like a simplified mobile game for phones.

Also the Humble Bundle updated with a few more games, including a point and click adventure from the Gemini Rue guy

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Just a reminder that the original Crazy Taxi is also available and was even free at some point in the thread.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Also the Humble Bundle updated with a few more games, including a point and click adventure from the Gemini Rue guy

Hahaha, it's a game where you play a rabbi who's suspicious about a big donation that's come in to his congregation. That is amazing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

baka kaba posted:

If it's the Shivah, it isn't by that guy, it's by Wadget Eye (who published Gemini Rue, but didn't make it).

I'd really like to see the Blackwell games on Android. Couldn't be that difficult to port, surely.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
KoP&P keeps on going.. and going...

How long is it?

I've got to the part where I cleared the places in the real world after saving Gaben and the remaining quests have all jumped to the mid-60s and I'm still like lvl 40. How far through it am I? Am I just supposed to grind out some upgraded equipment and slog out these mid-60s quests in the low 40s?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is there any reason to hope that FTL will be ported to Android devices eventually?

I'd love to have that on my tablet to justify using it again.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

a shameful boehner posted:

Is there any reason to hope that FTL will be ported to Android devices eventually?

They've made zero official commitment to do so outside of vague statements like:

quote:

"But many of you might be asking 'What about Android (or Surface, etc.)!?' For now, the answer is that we hope to get it on all tablet devices but do not know for sure... Expanding tablet support will be our next highest priority, but we don’t want to make any promises (or rejections) until we’re 100% sure of the outcome."
Don't hold your breath.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

KoP&P keeps on going.. and going...

How long is it?

I've got to the part where I cleared the places in the real world after saving Gaben and the remaining quests have all jumped to the mid-60s and I'm still like lvl 40. How far through it am I? Am I just supposed to grind out some upgraded equipment and slog out these mid-60s quests in the low 40s?

You beat the original game, now you are on the expanded stuff. I'm not never beat any of that stuff, but it is pretty likely that it isn't very long.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

a shameful boehner posted:

I am considering buying an iPad solely for FTL. I really don't want an iPad though.

edit: It was hyperbole. I really wish they'd port it though. Heartily enjoying enhanced edition on my pc

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 10, 2014

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Lowness 72 posted:

I am considering buying an iPad solely for FTL. I really don't want an iPad though.

Play it on your computer.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Chas McGill posted:

If it's the Shivah, it isn't by that guy, it's by Wadget Eye (who published Gemini Rue, but didn't make it).

Oh yeah? Didn't realise that, I thought it was pretty much all a one-guy shop. The Shivah seems to run pretty well, and as far as I know (which isn't a lot in retrospect :v: ) all the Wadget games are done in the same engine, so it might be pretty doable if there's interest

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stan Taylor posted:

Play it on your computer.

This. Hell, you could RDP into your computer on Android or Windows, so you could play it on the go from a tablet, laptop, or phone that isn't an iPad.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Oh yeah? Didn't realise that, I thought it was pretty much all a one-guy shop. The Shivah seems to run pretty well, and as far as I know (which isn't a lot in retrospect :v: ) all the Wadget games are done in the same engine, so it might be pretty doable if there's interest

Are you hoping for Gemini Rue on Android? It already exists; I have it in my Humble app list from a previous bundle.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Are you hoping for Gemini Rue on Android? It already exists; I have it in my Humble app list from a previous bundle.

Nah Chas was talking about the Blackwell games, I just ~think~ they all use the same engine so there could be ports a-plenty.

Also anyone playing The Shivah - tap the top of the screen for your goddamn inventory gently caress! Could have done with that being explained instead of having to hit up GAMEFAQS

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Nah Chas was talking about the Blackwell games, I just ~think~ they all use the same engine so there could be ports a-plenty.

Yes, they all use the Adventure Game Studio (AGS), which has an android port of sorts (which I haven't tried myself).

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Hey remember the time when The Simpsons: Tapped Out came out? Well now there's a Family Guy game that's just like it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, I can't loving wait to waste more time tapping at poo poo to read weak jokes about a show I haven't given a poo poo about for many, many years.

At least South Park makes actual, fun games - fun enough that I enjoy them despite no longer wanting to watch or tlak about the show ever again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

coyo7e posted:

At least South Park makes actual, fun games

This has literally never been true until Stick of Truth came out.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

coyo7e posted:

Wow, I can't loving wait to waste more time tapping at poo poo to read weak jokes about a show I haven't given a poo poo about for many, many years.

At least South Park makes actual, fun games - fun enough that I enjoy them despite no longer wanting to watch or tlak about the show ever again.

This reminds me of a time when I played new Dungeon Keeper.
*Sells his wedding ring to a shady-looking character in back alley for $100. 'Now I'll finally be able to buy that second imp'*
Good times.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

coyo7e posted:

You might not be in the target audience for this game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mrkillboy posted:

Hey remember the time when The Simpsons: Tapped Out came out? Well now there's a Family Guy game that's just like it.

The description says it has "new jokes". So it's not really like the show at all. HEYO!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Paladinus posted:

This reminds me of a time when I played new Dungeon Keeper.
*Sells his wedding ring to a shady-looking character in back alley for $100. 'Now I'll finally be able to buy that second imp'*
Good times.

It's really not that bad. Now the fifth and sixth imp? Those are wedding ring selling.

Although the last time I booted it it looked like gems were a little easier to get.

I will stand by goons made too big a deal about the gem thing though. I got pretty far without ever spending real people money.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

coyo7e posted:

Haha yeah this will probably be garbage because it's just the same poo poo over and over again *pays another $5 for kairsoft's next game that's the same poo poo with a different coat of paint*

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think there needs to be two categories of games in the play store. Real games that are based on player actions, and skinner boxes that are based on real time and tricking people into buying smurfberries.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ponzicar posted:

I think there needs to be two categories of games in the play store. Real games that are based on player actions, and skinner boxes that are based on real time and tricking people into buying smurfberries.

I'd definitely buy more games if I could filter for non-IAP games.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

I'd definitely buy more games if I could filter for non-IAP games.

This is not a good idea. Pixel Dungeon supports them, but only as a developer tipping mechanism. There's plenty of IAPs that are reasonable. Typically reviews give you a hyperbolic idea of how the game really is, and then you can judge for yourself.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This is not a good idea. Pixel Dungeon supports them, but only as a developer tipping mechanism. There's plenty of IAPs that are reasonable. Typically reviews give you a hyperbolic idea of how the game really is, and then you can judge for yourself.

Have you tried to browse the store recently? I'd sacrifice missing a few diamonds in the rough for not having to pore over hundreds of reviews looking for the occasional game that isn't a IAP cash grab.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

Have you tried to browse the store recently? I'd sacrifice missing a few diamonds in the rough for not having to pore over hundreds of reviews looking for the occasional game that isn't a IAP cash grab.

It's even worse when the pay wall isn't immediate. Like you get to lvl 40 in a game and then realize you can't compete anymore without shelling out $100. Games with Arenas/pvp tend to do this a lot.

Clash of clans has struck a nice balance where it's not necessary to buy any cash and in the late game it doesn't have a large effect on your outcome.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

This has literally never been true until Stick of Truth came out.

Chefs game show on N64 was goddam awesome. The fps was great too.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
If anyone wants to give Disco Zoo a once-over we'd appreciate it!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimblebit.discozoo

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

eeenmachine posted:

A friend of mine has been playing on her iPhone nonstop, so I've heard good things. Will give it a go.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Toshimo posted:

Oh my god, yes. It is the most frustrating thing coming from the console and PC games market. Not only is it a sea of crap, its all highly-rated crap for some reason, and even the Featured and Best apps are 90% IAP money sinks.

Dungeon Keeper was especially heinous to some people because it took a known property and went IAP-crazy with it -- sure, it's not that bad once you've been conditioned by Candy Crush or whatever, but if you're comparing it to PC games like the actual Dungeon Keeper games, it's an amazingly unpleasant surprise and pretty much ruins the game.

I really detest the Android marketplace and the entire IAP movement, and I routinely buy non-F2P games that I'll put an hour into, just to help keep real developers going.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've found that simply reading this thread and occasionally looking at "users also installed" has kept my phone full of more games than I can even manage to finish. :shrug:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Oh boy it's finally out on android!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

eeenmachine posted:

It's making my old Nexus 7 incredibly hot.

• Locked thread