Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Dabir posted:

Given the announcement of customisable movesets, and given that we know all of Mega Man's moves, should we start speculating about what his variants might be? I'm thinking we'll see Shadow Blade as an alternate Metal Blade, possibly Charge Kick as a slide variant if they can come up with a good weakness and god drat they'd better have the MMIV buster and the Mega Arm. There's about six shields they could pick and choose from for alternate Leaf Shield although Star Crash and Plant Barrier are basically the same and Skull Barrier is worse than both. Maybe Drill Bomb as a less-damaging Crash Bomb with remote detonation?

If they have Bass or Proto Man as a clone, maybe we will see the dash as well?

For flame blast, they could go with Fire Storm, as that had a barrier around Mega Man when he used it.

Also, I am wondering if Beat will make an appearance, and if so, how will Beat be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Supercar Gautier posted:

But which Nintendo studio should handle the property? I'm torn between Sora and Retro.

Wasn't Retro working on a Megaman X FPS before it got trashed as well?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

horriblePencilist posted:

Ex-Retro people, I think.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Discotek, who distributed the first (and so far, only) English Game Center CX DVDs, posted on their Facebook page that they're releasing the entire series of the western Mega Man cartoon from the 90s in September... While the cartoon isn't that great from what I've seen, I give them credit for making one of the best DVD cover arts ever and kinda making me want to buy it just because of said cover art.

Also, nthing about how awesome Mega Man's final smash is going to be in the new Smash Bros. :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Obeast posted:

Discotek, who distributed the first (and so far, only) English Game Center CX DVDs, posted on their Facebook page that they're releasing the entire series of the western Mega Man cartoon from the 90s in September... While the cartoon isn't that great from what I've seen, I give them credit for making one of the best DVD cover arts ever and kinda making me want to buy it just because of said cover art.

Also, nthing about how awesome Mega Man's final smash is going to be in the new Smash Bros. :)

Yeah...I'm gonna be buying this. I don't know why. SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT....MEGA MAN! is utter poo poo, but I need to have that particular flavor of poo poo in my life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's really bad, but in a good way. I mean, really, it's worth watching for Cut and Guts Man antics. Some of the episodes are just truly terrible, though, like Curse of the Lion-Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MizTlnwkzi4

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I remember liking the X episode.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

horriblePencilist posted:

It was also kinda poo poo!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I unironically enjoy this cartoon, and the box art is astounding. I'm definitely going to pick it up if I catch it at Hastings.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I am probably going to get it. It's a pretty horrible cartoon. The fact that they try to make Megaman have a catch phrase (sizzling circuits I think) and not even trying to disguise that Rush is basically scooby doo and Roll not being much help and using home appliances as her buster.

Yeah...

Though hey it had Goku voiced Megaman and a few more other voices as well. It's really surprising knowing that Protoman was basically Duo from Gundam Wing and Ken from Street Fighters.

Also best scene is Megaman going NOW i got your power and Pharaoh Man punching him immediately.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 10, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

When I first heard of the cartoon (via MMHP) I thought it was utter crap and a waste of a good property, especially when I came across the images from the promo that used an art style more like the Japanese artwork, but then I saw actual clips from it and for some reason despite the horrible inaccuracies like Proto Man being evil and green Eddie it had some ridiculous charm to it. The cliche episodes do sound dumb (like "The Incredible Shrinking Mega Man") but if they hadn't canned it I think it would have been interesting to see the direction it would take. Apparently Bass was going to be introduced in the third season, probably as a replacement for Proto Man which might prompt him to join Mega Man's side?

Just talking about this now makes me wish we'd get a newer Mega Man cartoon based on the Archie comics. Also if Discotek got that "Upon A Star" OVA series, that would be awesome.

On a slightly different note, I hate how sanitized they made Battle Network's anime when it aired here. Granted, most of it was probably a result of Standards & Practices being more concerned post-9/11 (FireMan -> TorchMan and NapalmMan -> MoltanicMan) but there were some scenes of random viruses being deleted that got the axe. And to add insult to injury, the final season never aired here. Not sure how good the Starforce anime was but it sounds like everyone forgot about it, so it probably wasn't good.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 10, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Mega Man cartoon was the poo poo when I was 5 years old. Don't you dare trash it. :colbert:

The days where I didn't have to go to school and I could watch Mega Man and Sailor Moon all morning were the best.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The best thing in the cartoon was Pharaoh Man's response to having his power stolen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Pollyanna posted:

The Mega Man cartoon was the poo poo when I was 5 years old. Don't you dare trash it. :colbert:

The days where I didn't have to go to school and I could watch Mega Man and Sailor Moon all morning were the best.

It's why I'm getting it. Pure nostalgia. I'm right there with you. I watched Mega Man every day.

And then the day they showed X? Trust me I was screaming like a fanboy when he showed up.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

BattleMaster posted:

The best thing in the cartoon was Pharaoh Man's response to having his power stolen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE

I am more partial towards Mega Man's patriotic side if anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI8RPO87vSc

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Kurtofan posted:

Imagine a Megaman only Smash.

God drat yes. Also Megaman Soccer 2 using the latest Mario Strikers game as a base :getin:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Thwack! posted:

I am more partial towards Mega Man's patriotic side if anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI8RPO87vSc

Oh god this video hurts

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pollyanna posted:

I agree with you on both counts. Having said that, I don't think I can maintain the illusion of it actually being a good show.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Holy cow, that cover art is WAY better than the cover for the old DVD set. The old DVDs were two cases sold separately, and the box art is nowhere near as awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Megaman-A-Hero-Is-Born/dp/B001KXZG1E

I've got the old DVDs. It's a pretty dumb show, but that opening sequence is still fun. Super fighting robot! MEGA MAN!

Also I still think the Dr. Wily in that show was the best possible Dr. Wily.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

HJE-Cobra posted:

Holy cow, that cover art is WAY better than the cover for the old DVD set. The old DVDs were two cases sold separately, and the box art is nowhere near as awesome.

I've got the old DVDs. It's a pretty dumb show, but that opening sequence is still fun. Super fighting robot! MEGA MAN!

Yeah. I have the first volume signed by Scott McNeil and he said "people actually liked that show?" in the Dr. Wily voice. :3:

I almost kind of wish we could have gotten season 3 so we could have seen Bass, a good Protoman and more X, but they ran out of generic Saturday morning cartoon plots.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That cover does make me want to buy it certainly.

When is it going on sale and will they have a bluray release?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Shindragon posted:

I am probably going to get it. It's a pretty horrible cartoon. The fact that they try to make Megaman have a catch phrase (sizzling circuits I think) and not even trying to disguise that Rush is basically scooby doo and Roll not being much help and using home appliances as her buster.

Yeah...

For all the nostalgia I have for the show, you are right. The writing was bad, the animation at times was some of the worst I have ever seen, and when combined, you get episodes like "Curse of the Lion Men". When the series was good, it was really good, but when it was bad it stank the joint up.

HJE-Cobra posted:

The second volume has been out of print for a long while. I would have bought the original sets if I could have gotten them both.

Shindragon posted:

Also best scene is Megaman going NOW i got your power and Pharaoh Man punching him immediately.

Pharaoh man was the best robot master in that cartoon, which is why he is in only one episode.

Mordaedil posted:

That cover does make me want to buy it certainly.

When is it going on sale and will they have a bluray release?

Why would you want it as a blu-ray? The picture will be NTSC size, up converting it will make it look really bad.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

PassTheRemote posted:

Why would you want it as a blu-ray? The picture will be NTSC size, up converting it will make it look really bad.

Fewer discs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Captain Invictus posted:

It's really bad, but in a good way. I mean, really, it's worth watching for Cut and Guts Man antics. Some of the episodes are just truly terrible, though, like Curse of the Lion-Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MizTlnwkzi4
Don't you dare diss the best episode of any cartoon ever made

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
Until the Retsupurae of that episode, I forgot that it existed. I thought the worst episode was about robots devolving into cave robots for some reason.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

This is one of the funniest images I have ever seen and I cannot articulate why but I now need to purchase this series.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

alcharagia posted:

This is one of the funniest images I have ever seen and I cannot articulate why but I now need to purchase this series.
In the meantime, you(and everyone else) should probably check out the tumblr I'm shamelessly pulling these images from.

e: I'm smart, got linked below tho

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 10, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Dammit Mega Man, stop getting stuck in the Phantom Zone.

(Though a link would be very nice, thank you).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

In the meantime, you(and everyone else) should probably check out the tumblr I'm shamelessly pulling these images from.

Could you link the tumblr then, as I am not sure how you track down a tumblr from imgur images?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Could you link the tumblr then, as I am not sure how you track down a tumblr from imgur images?

Reverse google image search found it: http://superfightingrobot-megaman.tumblr.com/

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Something about the timing on those pictures makes it ten times funnier than the cartoon. It's like Garfield minus Garfield.

Mega Man minus Context?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god this thing is hilarious.

This one killed me

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
This is the gift that keeps on giving...

I do agree that the lack of context makes them great.

Also...

:stare:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

Until the Retsupurae of that episode, I forgot that it existed. I thought the worst episode was about robots devolving into cave robots for some reason.

There's a Retsupurae of it!? edit found it :3:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 10, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

What's weird to realise in hindsight with the Ruby-Spears cartoon is that, compared to what had come before it, it was one of the more faithful and generally decent video game adaptations out there. Yes, the episode to episode plots varied wildly, and Protoman being a villain was off (though a Capcom decision, according to this interview), but the basic premise of good robot fighting mad scientist with evil robots remained, and accounting for proportion changes, most of the robot designs stuck true to the original concepts - which considering this was after most of the classic series came out, was a lot of robots for the staff to work on. Heck, they even bothered with covering Mega Man's origin story, rather than take the existing route of 'eh the kids watching probably played the game and know all this stuff'.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, since I really didn't follow the original series, Proto man threw me for a loop because my only experience with him was from the cartoon. Imagine my surprise when I played Mega Man 7 and he was a good guy trying to help you.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I wanna say they should've just made a Megaman X cartoon at that time, but I doubt they could've done the bigger ideas and darker themes justice. Not that the crossover episode wasn't pretty great.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Hobo Siege posted:

I wanna say they should've just made a Megaman X cartoon at that time, but I doubt they could've done the bigger ideas and darker themes justice. Not that the crossover episode wasn't pretty great.

They actually had plans for it as a spinoff, but, in spite of the MegaMan cartoon actually being one of the highest rated cartoons of its day, its toy sales didn't match what Capcom had hoped.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
http://www.p4rgaming.com/capcom-unable-to-recognize-four-out-of-five-characters-in-mega-mans-final-smash-in-smash-bros/

Please tell me this is some kind of sick, sick joke.

Though the prospect of Sakurai creating a small MegaMan game within Smash 4 certainly has my interest....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

LemonLimeTime posted:

http://www.p4rgaming.com/capcom-unable-to-recognize-four-out-of-five-characters-in-mega-mans-final-smash-in-smash-bros/

Please tell me this is some kind of sick, sick joke.

Though the prospect of Sakurai creating a small MegaMan game within Smash 4 certainly has my interest....

http://www.p4rgaming.com/people-who-play-games-that-are-rated-perfect-are-more-attractive-and-intelligent/

It is.