Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Met posted:

I'd stop relying on the "take-backsies" option on missions. Embrace failure.

Those poor brave souls died because of my carelessness. What will I tell their wives, their children? I feel like a murderer...

There's kerblood on my hands, and it will never wash off.

I seem to remember one of the planned features for a future release being a simulator that would allow you to test out your designs risk free, including popping them directly into orbit and so on. If that were the case they could take out the revert option entirely, which would add a lot more weight to your 'actual' launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Eruonen posted:

So now I want to rescue the rescue mission by having a ship push them into orbit. I don't have the grabber part and it will take ages before I get there, so does anyone have any good ideas on how to slow down a ship in orbit that is out of fuel? It has plenty of energy left to reorient in case that helps (it might when two ships come into contact).

I've already read up on how to rendevous with a ship that's in orbit, but manipulating its speed is where I'm having trouble.
Do it the old school way: Make a cradle out of girders and/or landing legs, catch the capsule and push it back to Kerbin.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I would love to see a feature that lets you dry run through the staging. most of my mission failures tend to be loving up and accidentally attaching a decoupler to the wrong part and ending up with engine stuck and unable to provide thrust.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The revert option only seems to last as long as your focus over the original launch vehicle does. It will go away if you exit to the space center or change focus to another ship.

Obama 2012 posted:

I seem to remember one of the planned features for a future release being a simulator that would allow you to test out your designs risk free, including popping them directly into orbit and so on. If that were the case they could take out the revert option entirely, which would add a lot more weight to your 'actual' launches.

I don't think that came from Squad, I've only ever seen it posted here as a suggestion by players. It's not a bad idea, but to be feasible it means the game would have to be absolutely bulletproof and free of the random failures and quirks that can happen with complex ships. 0.23.5 went a long way towards that with the new joints.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Vetitum posted:

I would love to see a feature that lets you dry run through the staging. most of my mission failures tend to be loving up and accidentally attaching a decoupler to the wrong part and ending up with engine stuck and unable to provide thrust.

I attach a scaffold to a launch framework then attach it to the top of the last stage. You can throttle down and test all your stages and the parts just drop onto the launch pad. Throttle up a tad and visually check engine function. I then at the end delete the scaffold in the VAB and relaunch.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Falken posted:

The top fairing is part of the (pending, haven't unlocked it yet) Launch Escape system. Everything north of the decoupler comes off clear of the rocket with the top half of the fairing which is there for aerodynamics.

Speaking of the LES, am I the only one who thinks that the unlockable one seems underpowered? I tested it on a plain-jane SRB and a 3 man capsule, and it seemed barely able to yank the capsule away from the fiery death motor. Had this been on a multi-orange tanked asparagus behemoth, I could easily see the capsule striking one of the lower parts of the rocket as everything goes tits-up.

I may just stick with my old faithful escape tower from ages past:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TBH if your stack is accelerating that quickly, you're probably wasting thrust and/or hitting terminal velocity, and could stand to cut engines/add fuel.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Fucknag posted:

TBH if your stack is accelerating that quickly, you're probably wasting thrust and/or hitting terminal velocity, and could stand to cut engines/add fuel.

The problem isn't as much the acceleration as some types of engine failure (having a stack of tanks break halfway, example) locking the problem thrusters in the ON position. At this point you're still accelerating even as you're doing your level best to fire off the LEM.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fucknag posted:

and could stand to cut engines

Does not compute.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fucknag posted:

If you aren't accelerating fast enough to trigger re-entry effects on your way out of the atmosphere, you're doing it wrong. :jeb:

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

BitBasher posted:

I attach a scaffold to a launch framework then attach it to the top of the last stage. You can throttle down and test all your stages and the parts just drop onto the launch pad. Throttle up a tad and visually check engine function. I then at the end delete the scaffold in the VAB and relaunch.

Glorious idea! Will have to test it, thanks chap.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Drake_263 posted:

The problem isn't as much the acceleration as some types of engine failure (having a stack of tanks break halfway, example) locking the problem thrusters in the ON position. At this point you're still accelerating even as you're doing your level best to fire off the LEM.

^ This.

Imagine on an asparagus launch, you gently caress up your decoupler staging, so when you stage, you've suddenly got an orange tank on an uncontrollable mainsail crashing its way up your stack. The LES not only needs to get your capsule off of the top, but also away from the debris cloud quickly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

The LES not only needs to get your capsule off of the top, but also away from the debris cloud quickly.

Sepratron, point it sideways. :jeb:

That's how I shed empty fuel tanks from the top of my stack, works great!

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Does anybody have any tips for outside kerbin activities? I managed to get a science missile to moho, but realized transmitting is awful. I've got docking down, but everytime I try to make bigger ships via docking to get to duna or jool they either spin off course when throttled up or shake to much.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Krataar posted:

Does anybody have any tips for outside kerbin activities? I managed to get a science missile to moho, but realized transmitting is awful. I've got docking down, but everytime I try to make bigger ships via docking to get to duna or jool they either spin off course when throttled up or shake to much.

illectro has used a train-like setup for interplanetary travel, before. Add a pair of nuclear engines to the front of your rocket, and have them tow the thing to wherever.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nth Doctor posted:

illectro has used a train-like setup for interplanetary travel, before. Add a pair of nuclear engines to the front of your rocket, and have them tow the thing to wherever.

Holy poo poo that's brilliant, I spent so much time building train setups only for it to fall to pieces.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
What are the current goon recommendations for prettifying mods at the moment? I had a look on the OP but didn't spot any.

I don't want to change the core gameplay yet, just make everything look swish.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Nth Doctor posted:

I tried a puller configuration once and it would swerve in the opposite direction of what I wanted when powered up. A bit of digging suggested that this might have been because the engines forward of the COM gimballed the wrong way.

Am I mistaken, or for pullers do you have to lock the gimbals and rely on other methods to turn?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TerminalSaint posted:

I tried a puller configuration once and it would swerve in the opposite direction of what I wanted when powered up. A bit of digging suggested that this might have been because the engines forward of the COM gimballed the wrong way.

Am I mistaken, or for pullers do you have to lock the gimbals and rely on other methods to turn?

For trains/pullers, you want to maneuver as little as possible while throttled up. RCS/SAS into the correct heading, stabilize, then throttle.

As for further stability, try to do a double-clamp dock. Its FAR more stable, though a bit trickier to execute.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

potatocubed posted:

What are the current goon recommendations for prettifying mods at the moment? I had a look on the OP but didn't spot any.

I don't want to change the core gameplay yet, just make everything look swish.

Environmental Visual Enhancements is pretty much the gold standard right now; it will add clouds to the planets with atmosphere and city lights to the night side of Kerbin.

e: I also run this skybox in Universe Replacer.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 10, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also Chatterer, which although not a graphical mod adds a ton of ambience.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

If I have two ships reentering orbit at the same time, is there a way to have both deploy their parachutes? I can't seem to switch ships once I enter the atmosphere.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Eruonen posted:

If I have two ships reentering orbit at the same time, is there a way to have both deploy their parachutes? I can't seem to switch ships once I enter the atmosphere.

Deploy them before entering atmo? They'll activate but won't actually deploy until after the atmospheric pressure is right.

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Hey Maxmaps, I have been having a ton of fun lately messing with rover designs around the space center. I really enjoy taking my designs through the research center then typically I do a sweet jump off the launch pad...

Anyway I think it would be cool and would fit the spirit of the game to have a section of the space center like the VAB or SPH just dedicated to rovers. A place that when you hit the launch button, you start in an area that has interesting terrain to test rover designs on. Stuff like ramps or a test track or maybe a fake crater to do sick jumps over. :)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Of course, if they get too far from one another, the one that's not focused will be deleted. KSP really doesn't handle multiple atmospheric missions well at all.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Space cash posted:

Anyway I think it would be cool and would fit the spirit of the game to have a section of the space center like the VAB or SPH just dedicated to rovers. A place that when you hit the launch button, you start in an area that has interesting terrain to test rover designs on. Stuff like ramps or a test track or maybe a fake crater to do sick jumps over. :)

A Danger Room with simulations of environments is high in my wishlist. I'll keep fighting the good fight.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I had the ultimate Kerbal rescue over the weekend, I am ashamed I didn't record it.

I was delivering some new science experiment modules to my space station and managed to somehow put my lifter rocket in an orientation that blocked all of the solar panels while I was in a parking orbit with the station. So I sent Bob out to manually decouple it and push the payload free of the offending obstacles so it could get sunlight and I could drive it to the station.

The first part of the plan worked pretty well, Bob was able to decouple the payload and after some trial and error push the 40-ton payload free of it's cradle. The trouble started when I sent Bob back to the station. I wasn't watching his EVA fuel and didn't realize how much I had used in freeing the rocket. Bob ended up zipping past the station, watching sadly as it receeded from his view.

By the time I docked the science experiments Bob was several hundreds of kilometers away. This was a problem, but not an insurmountable one since my science station had 8 nuclear engines and thousands of units of monopropellant. :science: I began chasing my missing astronaut down with a 500 ton space station. It took me a while to catch up with him and to maneuver the station next to him, then I had another problem. Bob had no eva fuel at all, he couldn't even turn around. The only way I could get him back into the station was to get him next to a ladder and have him grab on.

I figured I had 2 options.

I could bring more kerbalnauts out and try to reassure Bob and try to carefully push him towards the ladder.

Or

Jebediah could swing the station at him like a giant bat and pray that his aim was true and that Bob's reflexes were hot.

Operation Space Basekerball was a smashing success. Jebediah was awarded an MVP trophy and inducted into the hall of fame. Bob Kerman is undergoing medical treatment for multiple fractured bones, bruises and space sickness but reports he is in great condition and eager to get back to "work".

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Eruonen posted:

If you have enough fuel on the rescue ship just boost it back up to a safe orbit after you've done the deorbit burn for the stuck ship and reenter them one at a time.
Hopefully you won't find out you don't have enough enough margin after the fact and get the rescue ship stuck. :jeb:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Saddest Robot posted:

I had the ultimate Kerbal rescue over the weekend, I am ashamed I didn't record it.

I was delivering some new science experiment modules to my space station and managed to somehow put my lifter rocket in an orientation that blocked all of the solar panels while I was in a parking orbit with the station. So I sent Bob out to manually decouple it and push the payload free of the offending obstacles so it could get sunlight and I could drive it to the station.

The first part of the plan worked pretty well, Bob was able to decouple the payload and after some trial and error push the 40-ton payload free of it's cradle. The trouble started when I sent Bob back to the station. I wasn't watching his EVA fuel and didn't realize how much I had used in freeing the rocket. Bob ended up zipping past the station, watching sadly as it receeded from his view.

By the time I docked the science experiments Bob was several hundreds of kilometers away. This was a problem, but not an insurmountable one since my science station had 8 nuclear engines and thousands of units of monopropellant. :science: I began chasing my missing astronaut down with a 500 ton space station. It took me a while to catch up with him and to maneuver the station next to him, then I had another problem. Bob had no eva fuel at all, he couldn't even turn around. The only way I could get him back into the station was to get him next to a ladder and have him grab on.

I figured I had 2 options.

I could bring more kerbalnauts out and try to reassure Bob and try to carefully push him towards the ladder.

Or

Jebediah could swing the station at him like a giant bat and pray that his aim was true and that Bob's reflexes were hot.

Operation Space Basekerball was a smashing success. Jebediah was awarded an MVP trophy and inducted into the hall of fame. Bob Kerman is undergoing medical treatment for multiple fractured bones, bruises and space sickness but reports he is in great condition and eager to get back to "work".

This is my new favorite KSP story.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Are there any 2M tanks with the same textures as the new 2M side boosters? I like using them but they look really ugly with one 2M NASA-style one then a big orange tank on top. The 32 ones look better but still a bit weird.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Re: Spacetrains

Docking ports definitely do better under tension than compression for a couple of reasons. The biggest thing about tension (engines-front) is that lateral movement will make a force on the joint that pulls it back to the center, while under compression (engines-rear) it will produce force pushing the joint further away.

OTOH, just personally I dislike a front-engines train because ~my immersion~, especially with NTR engines that would cook the crew if you put them up front. I end up building big truss structures to have them out on arms away from the main ship, which adds a lot of weight and has stability problems of its own. I do have a design that puts the heavy fuel tanks in longitudinal slots around the engine core, but it's quite a PITA compared to the linear space train. It needs to bring a little RCS tug along, and dropping tanks means stopping the engines to re-configure the whole thing, rather than just undocking the empty one off the back. Makes a cool Jool 2001-type thing, but it's a bit over-engineered really.

Eruonen posted:

As maxmaps says you can deploy chutes in advance, but the real problem is keeping two ships within 2km during any type of atmosphere entry. Drag is so wonky in stock that getting two things to fall at the same rate is drat near impossible.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I think at some point (and possibly still) Mission Controller would auto-recover ships below a certain altitude with sufficient chutes.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If we're talking pie-in-the-sky wishlist items, having a whole testing facility with a number of runways and launchpads (plus maybe a rover course), selectable from the VAB/SPH, and perhaps separated from KSC a bit would be great.

On a similar topic, what's the most lightweight mod for adding more launch location options? Last time I checked there were several of varying quality and this was right around 0.22 release so compatibility was an issue with several as well.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thank you to everyone for the advice from saving my crew stuck in orbit.

Since I was pretty low on the science tree I had to make do with whatever I had available, but it worked out relatively well.
I built "THE CLAW".
http://imgur.com/a/P6ZEQ
Sadly the pilot of "THE CLAW" did not survive since despite Maxmap's suggestion, they seem to have disappeared into thin air during reentry of Kerbin.
RIP Lencal Kerman, the only Kerbal stupid enough to undertake this mission.

I am new to the game and space physics, so I probably did a lot wrong, but I loved every moment of it.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 10, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Roflex posted:

On a similar topic, what's the most lightweight mod for adding more launch location options? Last time I checked there were several of varying quality and this was right around 0.22 release so compatibility was an issue with several as well.

I would love to have more launch location options, so I'm curious about this as well. There's the old KSC on the other continent and the island runway for aircraft, and you could probably add more launch spots too. One thing I remember is that Kerbtown had a few addons like this- one had a gigantic mass driver modeled off the one in Ace Combat 5 (which is the coolest way of launching poo poo ever. Build it ramping up to a tall mountain facing east and you're good to go)and another mod had a Peacekeeper-style missile silo that you could walk around inside. There's also the possibility of something like SeaLaunch with a huge movable platform. Pipe dreams though, eh?

Probably the best mod at the moment for what you want is Extraplanetary Launchpads, though.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Environmental Visual Enhancements is pretty much the gold standard right now; it will add clouds to the planets with atmosphere and city lights to the night side of Kerbin.

e: I also run this skybox in Universe Replacer.

As nice looking as Dreamscape is, I like Sido's skybox more.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Maxmaps please solve my obsession and don't count flags as 'flights in progress' so I don't have to freak out every time and check space center first.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I stranded a flight of Kerbals in Gilly orbit. Not enough delta-v to escape Eve and get back to Kerbin.

Which is alright. I can send a fueling mission later. Their mission has provided me with with a ton of science.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Keiya posted:

Of course, if they get too far from one another, the one that's not focused will be deleted. KSP really doesn't handle multiple atmospheric missions well at all.

I love new content, but fixing a lot of these things would really open up the game for me. It's frustrating to try something weird and lose things because the game doesn't handle them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

The first time my science package dissapeared into thin air because it passed out of the "physics bubble", I was really confused and didn't know what was going on. Turns out the game doesn't support multiple ships in atmosphere very well. This is one of the things I wish the stock game handled better, for sure. You never know, though, the game isn't finished yet.

For now, you can download http://kerbalspaceport.com/lazor-system/ to solve the problem if you like. It has an option that let's you increase the physics bubble to up to 99km.

There does seem to be some weirdness as far as drag goes, though. For example I built a plane that would drop a science package bay over the north pole at around 10k up. The seperation and everything worked fine, but when I switched over to the science package to activate the chutes and whatnot, I noticed that my plane (now unfocused) was accelerating at a VERY quick rate, almost like the game wasn't calculating drag on it while it wasn't focused. As soon as I switched back, the plane would suddenly slow down and fall back to whatever speed it was cruising at.

• Locked thread