Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sebelius says that 7.5 million have enrolled under the ACA. The GOP says "nuh-uh!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Sebelius says that 7.5 million have enrolled under the ACA. The GOP says "nuh-uh!!!!"

They really are going all in on the "7 million signed up is a fabricated number" line it seems.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

They really are going all in on the "7 million signed up is a fabricated number" line it seems.

Yeah they don't have any counter numbers or anything they are just saying "-not, Wayne's World".

Once the numbers are concrete from a third party agency they'll just move the goal posts and pretend that they didn't go all in on the "no one will use Obamacare because it's big government" and you know what, everyone will forget that they did.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

haveblue posted:

According to those links, Koch collects $88 million, not billion. So it's merely outrageous rather than utterly insane.

See this is why I shouldn't sit on links. I could have sworn demos.org had a study that put it at 88 Bln and went with that.

Anyways, links are good summary of corporate welfare

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah they don't have any counter numbers or anything they are just saying "-not, Wayne's World".

Once the numbers are concrete from a third party agency they'll just move the goal posts and pretend that they didn't go all in on the "no one will use Obamacare because it's big government" and you know what, everyone will forget that they did.

Actually the current line of attack from the political cartoons thread is that the ACA is a failure because over 30 million people still don't have health insurance.

Obama has sent them so far to the right they are attacking things from the left

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Breakdown of the Ryan budget the GOP is passing today

http://www.vox.com/cards/paul-ryan-budget/can-i-see-those-savings-in-one-chart

By the way, it has been active for for a brief time but I am really finding vox a useful source of news. It's what I hoped the new 538 would be. Lots of data sourcing and the reasons broken down coherently. I don't agree with a lot of it, but I don't read the news for agreement, I read it to be informed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

By the way, it has been active for for a brief time but I am really finding vox a useful source of news. It's what I hoped the new 538 would be. Lots of data sourcing and the reasons broken down coherently. I don't agree with a lot of it, but I don't read the news for agreement, I read it to be informed

Who's behind Vox?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

E: I'm also really liking Vox so far. I wonder how long it will take for it to get the "liberal bias" branding so I can no longer link people to it to refute anything.

Fried Chicken posted:

Actually the current line of attack from the political cartoons thread is that the ACA is a failure because over 30 million people still don't have health insurance.

It's a very modern Republican strategy to criticize left programs for not going far enough, like when Romney and Ryan were attacking Obama for cutting Medicare even though that isn't even a half truth and Ryan's own budget would legitimately cut the poo poo out of it. It's easy to attack the opposition from any angle when you have no actual values or principles.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fried Chicken posted:

There was a beautiful week during the 2012 primary where Gingrich and Romney criticized Obama for cutting taxes and being too militaristic, and then the news cycle moved on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Who's behind Vox?

Calvin Klein I think.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Calvin Klein I think.

You mean Ezra Klein?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Who's behind Vox?

Money I don't know. Writers they basically grabbed all the young "wonk" types they could, like Ezra Klein and Matt Yglesias. Matt Tabbi I think went to First Look, but he might have gone to vox. Basically the fallout of Bezos buying the WaPo led to a lot of number crunching contributors going off and doing their own thing because they didn't hew to the new company line on policy

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Who's behind Vox?

Vox is from Vox Media. Basically, it started as a network of sports blogs and has expanded from there. If you've seen SBNation, The Verge, or Polygon, they're all part of that network.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fried Chicken posted:

What an awful budget. Over the next ten years: $5.2 trillion in spending cuts, $5.7 trillion in tax cuts, an additional $5.7 trillion in revenue from closing loopholes and ending deductions, and $7.3 trillion in additional revenue from economic growth. His plan only works if the economy grows at a rate of at least 5%* for the next 10 years. You might as well say Obama's budget balances if you assume healthcare-loving aliens give us a spaceship full of gold.

* I'll do some calculus and post a more accurate number later

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

What an awful budget. Over the next ten years: $5.2 trillion in spending cuts, $5.7 trillion in tax cuts, an additional $5.7 trillion in revenue from closing loopholes and ending deductions, and $7.3 trillion in additional revenue from economic growth. His plan only works if the economy grows at a rate of at least 5%* for the next 10 years. You might as well say Obama's budget balances if you assume healthcare-loving aliens give us a spaceship full of gold.

* I'll do some calculus and post a more accurate number later

Keep in mind that block-granting Medicaid is straight up gonna kill thousands of old people. It's legislative mass murder. Paul Ryan don't care, Paul Ryan's got his, nobody in Paul Ryan's family is on Medicaid (any more).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

zoux posted:

I read somewhere that the number was closer to 9 million because they weren't factoring in kids who re-enrolled on their parents' plans due to the "age 26" provision. Am I wrong?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think there's been a Ryan budget that hasn't been full of ridiculous cuts.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

I read somewhere that the number was closer to 9 million because they weren't factoring in kids who re-enrolled on their parents' plans due to the "age 26" provision. Am I wrong?

Vox has a breakdown of it

http://www.vox.com/health-care/2014/4/10/5579430/vox-guide-obamacare-enrollment-numbers

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He's quite fluent in the GOP language.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ColoradoCleric posted:

I don't think there's been a Ryan budget that hasn't been full of ridiculous cuts.

Nor one that's mathematically viable, a trend which I doubt this one will break.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well they have the benefit of being able to propose these budgets and then make wild claims about how good they will be knowing they will never become law and never be tested.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
If those people had managed to save better for retirement they could use that money to supplement medicare.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I love Ryan's budget and the fact that it doesn't do anything to balance the budget. Unless I'm missing something:

We currently have a budget deficit of: $x
His proposed spending cuts: $5.2t
His proposed revenue lost due to tax cuts: $5.7t

Net change at the end of his budget: Deficit of $x+0.5t

So not only does it gently caress over the poor, it increases the deficit. I love the GOP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

I love Ryan's budget and the fact that it doesn't do anything to balance the budget. Unless I'm missing something:

So not only does it gently caress over the poor, it increases the deficit. I love the GOP.

Ah but see you are missing the explosion in economic growth brought about by the government finally getting out of everyone's way.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Your wrong because job creators will create trillions of dollars of wealth & create jobs because
e. f,b

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Except for unions, we the government to get really involved with loving those up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

Ah but see you are missing the explosion in economic growth brought about by the government finally getting out of everyone's way.

Well there will definitely be an uptick in the gravedigging and mortuary industries should his budget pass.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Khisanth Magus posted:

No, no, we get a magical additional $7.3t from closing loopholes and economic growth. Note that he hasn't listed any loopholes or deductions he wants to end, so it's $7.3 trillion that he's hoping to raise through growth.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Well they have the benefit of being able to propose these budgets and then make wild claims about how good they will be knowing they will never become law and never be tested.

I think this is pretty much why the Tea Party constantly just parrots Paul Ryan, none of the old people have read it. If it wasn't for the AARP calling Paul Ryan out on turning social security into a fixed stipend that wouldn't increase in value Obama wouldn't have nearly the support he needed to win the Presidency.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

This has literally been every budget Ryan has proposed. The dude is a hack.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Colbert will be replacing Letterman

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/arts/television/stephen-colbert-to-succeed-letterman-on-late-show.html?smid=tw-bna

So I guess the #CancelColbert hashtag worked in a sense

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

ColoradoCleric posted:

This has literally been every budget Ryan has proposed. The dude is a hack.

Personal favorite line: "This resolution calls on comprehensive tax reform and lays out some principles, but it does not embrace any particular plan."

e:full proposal, in case nobody's linked it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The rich will finally be free! No longer will they be shackled by the poors taking all their hard-earned cash!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Colbert will be replacing Letterman

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/arts/television/stephen-colbert-to-succeed-letterman-on-late-show.html?smid=tw-bna

So I guess the #CancelColbert hashtag worked in a sense

I actually kinda don't like this. Colbert's persona works really well in a context where he's always only talking about politics, but maybe not if he's on a generic Late Show where he also has to devote time to pop culture or celebrity gossip or whatever else. So either he abandons the character or it loses its focus.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is this the one where they also did not even try to hide the fact that they were increasing defense spending?

Decades of the same ol' bullshit.

loquacius posted:

I actually kinda don't like this. Colbert's persona works really well in a context where he's always only talking about politics, but maybe not if he's on a generic Late Show where he also has to devote time to pop culture or celebrity gossip or whatever else. So either he abandons the character or it loses its focus.

Yeah there is no way Late Nite Colbert is going to be anywhere near as entertaining as Fake Conservative Blowhard Colbert.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the other hand he might get more exposure with the baby boomer generation since they're the ones who typically watch late night shows.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah there is no way Late Nite Colbert is going to be anywhere near as entertaining as Fake Conservative Blowhard Colbert.

Colbert has amazing improv chops. Check out strangers with candy. It will be different. But I see no reason to assume that means worse.

Besides, the point is to laugh at online "activists"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

JT Jag posted:

Using a picture as basis for painting is pretty commonplace these days. It's not like Bush traced the pictures or anything. I don't see the problem.

AP took Shepard Fairey to court over it and numerous people on this very forum think Fairey should have been thrown in jail or paid millions in copyright violations for doing it.

I'm just surprised by how crappy the paintings look. Those ones that leaked from his hacked email account seemed less melty-face than these.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

duz posted:

AP took Shepard Fairey to court over it and numerous people on this very forum think Fairey should have been thrown in jail or paid millions in copyright violations for doing it.

I'm just surprised by how crappy the paintings look. Those ones that leaked from his hacked email account seemed less melty-face than these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fairey gets poo poo on any chance life gets, and not enough for the internet to be satisfied with.

• Locked thread