Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Coffin Princess has a lot of things that should annoy me but it's done so well that I'm into it. I think it was the unicorn.

I was not expecting the unicorn, but I thought it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Coffin Princess did not disappoint so I'm fairly excited to see if it can keep it up. That unicorn design was pretty drat great.

No Game No Life was about what I expected. For the moment, they've actually toned down the sibling creepiness a fair degree compared to the LN so that's nice, since even in the novel, there were genuine moments where you could see that they were siblings or at least two kids who are pretty dependent on each other (of course they're step-siblings because :japan:). It's why I have mixed feelings on that relationship from what I've read since if it weren't for that creepy factor that has to always be pushed in practically every trashy LN, it's a story that could work about these two kids who are afraid of the real world and only have each other. Course things can change since there's a couple future scenes which we'll have to see how the anime will execute, but at the moment, it's sitting on the borderline. I'm probably putting more thought into it than is needed anyways and it's doubtful the story will go that in-depth. The other pros I didn't mention in my last post is that basically all the games basically run on Hunter x Hunter/Kaiji logic with dashes of Yu-Gi-Oh moments, and every opponent basically tries to cheat against them, so it can get pretty creative in what happens in the games, and with 16 races to deal with, you've got your standard fantasy world-building set up. The fanservice moments will happen though and everyone here will comment or complain about it, and it is pretty terrible, but that's the nature of this genre unfortunately.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

Putting in the Coffin Princess for the 3 ep rule. Not totally sold on the characters or setting yet, but it was stylish as gently caress let's hope it carries past the budget heavy beginning. I did absolutely love they wrecked a shop then actually paid the damages

e:also what's up with anime and PTRD anti tank rifles? It was hilariously ineffective against armor and you had to have two people carry it.

It is a very big gun. A bigger gun is more impressive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If your magic wand is going to be a gun, might as well make it a gigantic anti-material rifle. I see nothing wrong with this, this way we get scenes of the little girl waving around a gun that's bigger than her while chanting magic spells.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
If you read the summary for Fuuun Ishin Dai☆Shogun and thought "that sounds like garbage" you were wrong! It's loving awful garbage. They apparently ran out of budget after drawing the keyframes because for huge sections of the episode there is basically no animation.

edit: To be clear, the show would be garbage even with great animation. With what it has it becomes some of garbage personification

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 10, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I'm not sure it actually had keyframes to be honest.

It had four animation directors and five key animators. Think about that one for a bit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

aers posted:

I'm not sure it actually had keyframes to be honest.

It had four animation directors and five key animators. Think about that one for a bit.

Hey, at least they've got one guy they trust to work unsupervised! :v:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

aers posted:

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0062079

Some stills posted from Koike's (REDLINE) new Lupin movie. Style looks great, here's hoping he gets a ton of budget to work with.

Those two images look pretty neat, I really hope this turns out well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Did you like Neptunia, but didn't think it was quite Sega enough? Sega Hard Girls has you covered! Featuring character designs by the man behind Miku!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I made a thread for the Rabbit Cafe anime

E: Good chill show overall, although it doesn't really bring anything new to the SoL genre and the fanservice of one character is problematic.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 10, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

If you read the summary for Fuuun Ishin Dai☆Shogun and thought "that sounds like garbage" you were wrong! It's loving awful garbage. They apparently ran out of budget after drawing the keyframes because for huge sections of the episode there is basically no animation.

edit: To be clear, the show would be garbage even with great animation. With what it has it becomes some of garbage personification
The entire show is just the animators trying to use shaky-cam and zoom-ins to hide the fact that all that's moving are mouths.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If your magic wand is going to be a gun, might as well make it a gigantic anti-material rifle. I see nothing wrong with this, this way we get scenes of the little girl waving around a gun that's bigger than her while chanting magic spells.

A little girl in Darker than Black used one too. I don't know it just makes me laugh thinking about a middle school girl firing one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is a public service announcement: Unless you hate good things and enjoy eating garbage you should watch Ping Pong, tia.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It was so overtly Yuasa it felt like overdosing on sugar.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ViggyNash posted:

It was so overtly Yuasa it felt like overdosing on sugar.

I don't know, there was a dearth of psychedelic colors and crazy imagery in the first episode.
Though that final scene was hella Yuasa brand intense, that was great.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's really just being incredibly faithful to the manga.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Nanana's Buried Treasure was pretty neat. Towards the end, I noticed one of the games she was playing was Terraria. Are the other things she played also real games? I didn't recognize any of the other ones.

e: As if Friday and Saturday weren't stacked full of anime, CR picked up Akuma no Riddle to stream on Fridays and Mekaku City Actors to stream on Saturdays.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, if you thought Sakura Trick fetishised yuri stuff to a ridiculous degree, it's got nothing on Inugami-san.

Edit: I guess there was less kissing, but still managed to make it creepier.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 10, 2014

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, if you thought Sakura Trick fetishised yuri stuff to a ridiculous degree, it's got nothing on Inugami-san.

I have a hard time believing that. Are they scissoring every five minutes this time, or what?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hard to do when an episode is less than 3 minutes long. It just has a few dumb pg-13 sex jokes.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
My thoughts so far for the anime I have watched:

Mushishi - Yeah! It's back. I only watched the first season after hearing about this, so I went and watched it. This season just seems to continue the chill nature of the first season. I really enjoyed the fact that Ginko only appeared for a short time and it was about the other guy's story. Definitely going to be watching this!

Captain Earth - This was very enjoyable. I only watched a few episodes of Star Driver, since I missed when if first came out and haven't really had time to finish it. The first episode of this was good. A lot of build-up about things we don't know yet, and there was an amazing transformation sequence right at the end of the episode. Will probably watch the entire season.

Baby Steps - Sports anime. I have watched a few, and my brother has read and watched a few more than I have. He suggested I watch this since apparently the manga is good. I enjoyed the first episode, and want to see where this goes. Will probably watch the entire season.

If She Triggers a Flag - The first episode of this wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. From what I can see it is going to be a fairly basic harem series? Maybe? Watching the ED I started counting the girls that appeared. After 6 I stopped because the next ones looked way too young. I will watch this until it gets too creepy... maybe?

Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V - You'd think that an anime about a children's card game would try to be more serious about the dueling. I stopped watching about 10 minutes in because:
*Hard light?
*Entertaining people instead of trying to decide the fate of the academy/city/country/world
*I think there's something called a pendulum summon? I don't know. I stopped watching before that.
*Dancing Hippos... who look like they are ready for Carnival... actually if there weren't the other problems, I would have watched just for the Hippos!
*I really need to watch Yu-Gi-Oh in english so I actually know about the cards.

Chaika the Coffin Princess - I am really surprised, and I really, really enjoyed the first episode. It was interesting, the characters were nice, and there were some amusing moments. It said nothing about the overall plot though, so I really want to see where this goes. Hopefully it stays good. Will be watching this.

The Devil's Riddle - I didn't find the first episode bad, but I really think I am going to hold my opinion of this until I have seen a few more episodes of this. Probably going to do the 3 episode test.

Dragonar Academy - I don't even know... I thought about making a gif of all the gravity defying boobs in the OP and ED, then realized that I'd rather not. I may watch another episode? I don't recommend this. Good luck if you want to this. Probably 3 episode test.

Blade and Soul - Boring, boring boring. I actually had trouble finishing this episode. And the ~Big Action Sequence~ at the end felt like it was just there to kill everybody but the main character and the other woman instead of doing anything interesting. And all of that was before the ED... which is a butterfly flapping over a silk road... for 2 minutes. That's another anime I'm not watching more of.

Kenzen Robo Daimidalar - First: I do not reccommend this. Between the reverse tails the penguins have, the constant fanservice, and the penis jokes, I somehow want to watch the next episode... This is still a horrible, stupid, fanservice-filled, unlikeable main character, (so far) 2 dimensional side character (1 side character... so far) anime, yet I will probably watch the next episode.
Also:

No Game No Life - umm... Beyond the fanservice of an 11 year old and the incestuous feelings the main characters have for each other, this is kind of interesting? I was really all up for watching the next episode, then the after ED thing came up and now... I think I will watch the next episode, but I don't think this is going to be an anime I watch through the season.

The Irregular at Magic High School - It was an anime. The sister likes the brother. It was very unremarkable. Almost nothing happened. Maybe it gets better? I don't think I'll count on that, but another anime on the 3 episode test.

Black Bullet - The monsters look cool? A bit more interesting then I was expecting. Not too sure where this is going. Another one that isn't overly noteworthy, though, once again, one that I am going to do the 3 episode rule for.

Brynhildr in the Darkness - An anime that looks like it will become a harem from the ED, though the first episode was... safe. Not too much about the character or plot, just an opening premise, then bam! wizards right at the end. No fanservice (so far) is a slight plus though. I am already watching way too many animes, but here is another one for the 3 episode rule.

Ping Pong - That was a really nice first episode. The only other thing by Yuasa I have watched was The Tatami Galaxy for the Simulwatch. The style of this is just amazing and I can't wait for the next episodes! Probably going to watch this all the way through

Haikyuu!! - The first episode of this was quite sports-animie-ish. It just set things up for later the next episode. Also in ~Sports Anime Fashion~ the main character is an idiot. 3 episode test.

Roughneck Sumo Wrestler!! Matsutarou - The OP was wonderful, and then I couldn't even make it 5 minutes through the episode. Not going to be watching anymore of this.

Nanana's Buried Treasure - While the first episode felt a little slow, I am feeling that this can get much better. The premise is interesting, and I am wondering at the genre it is trying to go. Mystery, adventure, supernatural? 3 episode test definitely.

I am really glad I have Spring Break next week so I can watch the next episodes of these without having to worry about school work, because I have spent far too much time watching anime this week.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Chaika the Coffin Princess was indeed really good and intriguing , recommend giving it a test.
I also enjoyed Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V. The holograms are now solid objects which leads to

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Thing to note: Main character rides on the hippo the entire first round, then in his next turn he jumps with the hippo off a cliff, tributes it and lands on his ace dragon midair and it's radical.

I really liked the first episode of Haikyuu!!.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

Edit: I guess there was less kissing, but still managed to make it creepier.

Reading through the first chapter and comparing it to the episode, they actually toned it down a little by omitting a few of the more overtly sexual 4-koma strips.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Marvel Disk Wars episode 2 is somewhat less badly animated than episode 1, but is somehow filled with even more idiotic logic. It is still entertaining in completely awful it is.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zorak posted:

Marvel Disk Wars episode 2 is somewhat less badly animated than episode 1, but is somehow filled with even more idiotic logic. It is still entertaining in completely awful it is.

I'll give them this, at least the characters seem to have some actual personality (even if it's incredibly stock Japanese shounen personality), and aren't completely wooden and lifeless like the last Marvel anime projects.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The World is Still Beautiful seems nice and kind-spirited. Most importantly though they set up an interesting story that could go pretty far. I'll watch more in hope that it will.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Sidonia's first episode was amazing, though I could see how the full CG would turn people off. My only gripe is that they got rid of some of Tanikaze's denser moments, such as the "railing check."

It's too bad that Netflix is going to release it all at once, because it doesn't look like anyone else is releasing/subbing it in the meantime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zorak posted:

And I just made a thread so we can discuss how stupid it is, because this is something special.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Kawaisou - Meh. The constant background text annoyed me. So did the characters. Pass.

One Week Friends - This is going to make me cry, isn't it? Watch.

Love Live 2 - μ's music, start! Watch.

Flag - Everything felt rushed. Apparently they covered the entire first LN in episode 1. Pass.

Magica Wars - 3 minutes of mild amusement. Watch.

Black Bullet - A middle-of-the-road action series. Pass.

NGNL - I liked the plot, so I'm tentatively going forward. Will be dropped if it gets too skeevy. Tentative Watch.

Chaika - A lot better than I was expecting. The weapons are pretty awesome. Watch.

Rabbit - Watching this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Watch.

InuNeko - Annoying. Pass.

Nanana - Indi-Nana Jones? Watch.

Ping Pong - It's certainly well-made, but I don't think this show is for me. I've never clicked with sports anime. Pass.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, and I watched Soul Eater Not today. As a Soul Eater fan, it's actually pretty okay. If anything, it can be the nice worldbuilding Silmarillion to Soul Eater's Lord of the Rings, only with schoolgirls who might be into each other.

Also one of the main characters is named Meme and that makes me giggle. It's pronounced Meh meh, but still.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
I watched the first couple episodes of WIXOSS and I don't really have an opinion on it yet other than I don't like the main character's first friend purely on what their wish is. I also enjoyed that part where they opened a bunch of packs to get a certain card and that the person that plays a blue deck is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

ViggyNash posted:

Nanana's Buried Treasure was pretty neat. Towards the end, I noticed one of the games she was playing was Terraria. Are the other things she played also real games? I didn't recognize any of the other ones.

e: As if Friday and Saturday weren't stacked full of anime, CR picked up Akuma no Riddle to stream on Fridays and Mekaku City Actors to stream on Saturdays.

I noticed she played Phantasy star online 2 a little around the middle of the episode.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Sidonia's first episode was amazing, though I could see how the full CG would turn people off. My only gripe is that they got rid of some of Tanikaze's denser moments, such as the "railing check."

It's too bad that Netflix is going to release it all at once, because it doesn't look like anyone else is releasing/subbing it in the meantime.

A subbed version just popped up on Nyaa. Not sure if we're okay to discuss fansubs in this case since it is licensed, but by a company that's handling that license in a profoundly stupid way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Blhue posted:

A subbed version just popped up on Nyaa. Not sure if we're okay to discuss fansubs in this case since it is licensed, but by a company that's handling that license in a profoundly stupid way.

Go ahead, if it's not available it being licensed doesn't matter for much.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

dudermcbrohan posted:

I watched the first couple episodes of WIXOSS and I don't really have an opinion on it yet other than I don't like the main character's first friend purely on what their wish is. I also enjoyed that part where they opened a bunch of packs to get a certain card and that the person that plays a blue deck is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

WIXOSS: Well for one thing they're channeling Madoka really hard, as in literally the main character has the same major dilemma as Madoka with her whole "but I don't have a wishhhh" thing. Also cracking packs for that one key rare and blue players being total dickholes is also the most card game thing.

Also I can't really dislike Yuzuki is obviously being set up for a really tragic arc. It's gonna be one of those things where she gets close to her wish, maybe makes the wish, realizes that it removes all agency from the brother she loves in the first place and then either total misery occurs or just a sad ending occurs. Her situation isn't set up in the fetishized incest way that like 90% of shows this season seem to have going but rather the tragic romance angle where we know it'll never happen. That makes it more interesting than yuck in my opinion.

Oh yeah and she's obviously someone who has little talent/skill in the game and only picked it up to be closer to her brother but she plays mono-red so you just gotta cheer for her.

Eej fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 11, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So Ping Pong the Animation turned out to be fantastic. It is an absolute treat to watch. As a sign of how cool it is, it has two Chinese characters with native Chinese voice actors speaking in natural Mandarin basically the entire episode and that is dope as hell.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 11, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Getting some really hard Scrapped Princess vibes from Chaika which may or may not be a good thing because I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who watched and enjoyed that show.

Fingers of Fury posted:

Putting in the Coffin Princess for the 3 ep rule. Not totally sold on the characters or setting yet, but it was stylish as gently caress let's hope it carries past the budget heavy beginning. I did absolutely love they wrecked a shop then actually paid the damages

e:also what's up with anime and PTRD anti tank rifles? It was hilariously ineffective against armor and you had to have two people carry it.

That's totally not an anime PTRD but an anime .50 cal anti-materiel rifle of some sort.

Eej fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 11, 2014

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.
Okay so I just started Akuma no Riddle and this seems to be about a classroom of assassins, yet is not Assassination Classroom. Anime, why are you making this so difficult.

Only other shows I've gotten to are Jojos, Cap Earth, Ping Pong, World's Still Beautiful, One Week Friends, Magic High School, and Black Bullet. Of which only the first three I'll continue, Captain Earth with slightly more reservation than PingPong and Jojos. Oh, and also Marvel Disk Wars, which is terrible beyond my greatest dreams and brings me a special kind of joy for it.

Flocci fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 11, 2014

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sidonia is tough for me to take a stance on. Rather than thinking it's ugly, I suppose it's just really disappointing that this is how they chose to adapt it. The Gauna are now shifting blobs and tentacles instead of the detailed masses of flesh in the manga. Detailed backgrounds are jarring compared to the smooth character models, especially Hiyama's lack of any fur texture. It's a spot on adaptation, but I think I'll stick to reading the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess Escha and Logy isn't getting picked up. A fansub group picked it up, but it looks like they're waiting for it to air on another channel for a better raw. Either way it won't be out until the weekend.

• Locked thread