Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

After watching the trailer for "Clown", it got me thinking - there aren't many horror movies where a good person slowly turns into evil due to some external force. Can anybody recommend some movies that have that sort of premise?

The Amityville Horror, and now that I think about it DOOM also qualifies, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Comedy options would of course be The Incredible Melting Man and Night of the Demons 2.

I actually like Hardware a lot, just once Porkins actually gets into the apartment, that scene goes on FOREVER. Some people find it darkly comedic but it feels like it's the entire middle third of the movie and was really starting to lose my interest.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I actually like Hardware a lot, just once Porkins actually gets into the apartment, that scene goes on FOREVER. Some people find it darkly comedic but it feels like it's the entire middle third of the movie and was really starting to lose my interest.

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember the climax being really drawn-out, too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How do people feel about Enemy?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316411/

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Reason posted:

I'm like 5 min in and i already love it. it's got me "WHAT THE gently caress"ing pretty hard

e: to add more substance, it looks great, the sound/music is great, the atmosphere is great. it almost doesn't matter what the plot is

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 28, 2014

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Watched Confessions over the weekend which seems to fit the psychological thriller tag what's are peoples thoughts on it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Reason posted:

Excellent. It and Under The Skin are my two favorite movies so far this year.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd recommend pretty much everyone watch Under the Skin. Utterly engrossing, beguiling, creepy and disturbing. Slightly Lynchian in places, I wanna say, but that's mainly because it's so drat bizarre and unexplainable.

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

She wears underwear with dick-holes in 'em
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479162/

"Special", starring Michael Rapaport, is the best movies I have watched in years. I would call it a psych thriller, though I may be off with that description. It's available on netflix until midnight tomorrow. Seriously, seriously watch this movie. I would even go so far as to say that it deserves to just be watched with no pre-conceived notions of any kind. Just watch it. You'll thank yourself later for not spoiling it.

tenniseveryone posted:

I'd recommend pretty much everyone watch Under the Skin. Utterly engrossing, beguiling, creepy and disturbing. Slightly Lynchian in places, I wanna say, but that's mainly because it's so drat bizarre and unexplainable.

What year was it made? There are two I can see on netflix.

Dalai Lamacide fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 28, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dalai Lamacide posted:

What year was it made? There are two I can see on netflix.

2014. It's still in theaters.

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

I see, thank you. I have not even heard of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Put a bookmark on it because it will surely be on Netflix in a few months.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Have any of you seen Ti West's new movie The Sacrament? I liked The Innkeepers, and LOVED House of the Devil, so I'm hoping it's good.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dalai Lamacide posted:

I see, thank you. I have not even heard of it.

It's the third film by Jonathan Glazer, who did Sexy Beast in the early 00s and a bunch of music videos before that. I'd recommend trying to catch it in the cinemas, because the visuals and soundtrack are such a big part of it, but otherwise definitely keep a lookout on the streaming sites!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Vier posted:

Watched Confessions over the weekend which seems to fit the psychological thriller tag what's are peoples thoughts on it?

I quite liked Confessions, but couldn't help but compare it to that one episode of South Park involving pubes in chili. It's fiendish but utterly ridiculous.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
"Sorcerer," a movie we talked about earlier in this thread, finally got some showings earlier this month at Cinefamily (and some other places, maybe?). It was really fantastic, as others said the south american setting is much more awful than the Wages of Fear version, and there are some scenes in this movie that are so harrowing it borders on a panic attack. I thought it would be a small crowd to see the film but I went on the last night it showed and the theater was basically full. The sound editing is so precise, it's no wonder it garnered the film its only award nomination. Gunshots, explosions, car doors slamming are all monstrously loud and sharp, and during the tense moments the soundtrack (by Tangerine Dream, which in other parts of the film was kind of cheesy but when it works it works) builds up and then abruptly cuts, and the whole theater was silent afterward.

One thing I can't find any info on though: Especially during the early scenes (perhaps because I became accustomed to it, I don't know) the film looks as if it was shot on video, or at a very high film speed. There's no motion blur and it gives the effect that it was shot in a very amateur way. It was like that effect that dumb people turn on their modern TVs that makes everything look like a soap opera, the "tru motion" setting or whatever. Anyway it sort of looked like poo poo to begin with. Anyone else who has seen this notice this?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Zesty Mordant posted:

"Sorcerer," a movie we talked about earlier in this thread, finally got some showings earlier this month at Cinefamily (and some other places, maybe?). It was really fantastic, as others said the south american setting is much more awful than the Wages of Fear version, and there are some scenes in this movie that are so harrowing it borders on a panic attack. I thought it would be a small crowd to see the film but I went on the last night it showed and the theater was basically full. The sound editing is so precise, it's no wonder it garnered the film its only award nomination. Gunshots, explosions, car doors slamming are all monstrously loud and sharp, and during the tense moments the soundtrack (by Tangerine Dream, which in other parts of the film was kind of cheesy but when it works it works) builds up and then abruptly cuts, and the whole theater was silent afterward.

One thing I can't find any info on though: Especially during the early scenes (perhaps because I became accustomed to it, I don't know) the film looks as if it was shot on video, or at a very high film speed. There's no motion blur and it gives the effect that it was shot in a very amateur way. It was like that effect that dumb people turn on their modern TVs that makes everything look like a soap opera, the "tru motion" setting or whatever. Anyway it sort of looked like poo poo to begin with. Anyone else who has seen this notice this?

I've seen that movie a lot and never noticed this, both on the DVD and the actual print I saw. Usually that kind of stuff stands out to me like a sore thumb.

Maybe a projection issue?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
It could be the idiots at Cinefamily leaving that option on when they showed the DCP. I don't think my brain was playing tricks on me.

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

Zesty Mordant posted:

I thought I was crazy. I saw this for the first time watching "A time to kill". I kept wondering why such an acclaimed movie had such terrible production values. poo poo looked like "passions". I've seen that several times since, and nobody I bring it up to seems to care. I kind of thought it was lovely that we finally get great quality tvs that can display the detail of new media, and they just look terrible.

Glad to know it's just idiots not knowing stuff, as opposed to having no option to change the setting.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Have any of you seen Ti West's new movie The Sacrament? I liked The Innkeepers, and LOVED House of the Devil, so I'm hoping it's good.

I saw it at a film festival a few weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it; that being said, it's also the first Ti West movie I liked. I really disliked his first two; while they were great at buildup, it never went anywhere, and the ultimate fizzing out really killed them for me.

But The Sacrament is pretty relentless. It's basically just a found-footage re-telling of a famous actual event (in case you're wondering, I'll spoiler tag it, even though it's pretty obvious very early on: Jonestown), and it uses West's knack for building tension to great effect, creating tension as we parse the situation and wait for the other shoe to drop.

That being said, it's not really a traditional horror movie in any sense. It's basically just telling the aforementioned story, and what horror there is comes from watching everything unfold slowly and tragically. For some people, the fact that West adds nothing to the story was a detriment; essentially, it is the story, without much added (the found footage idea isn't bad, but it feels ignored at certain points, and often neglected). For me, though, it packed a major wallop. It's stuck with me for a while, and really haunted me in a pretty stark way.

Also, the guy who plays Father, the leader of the cult, is phenomenal. You may recognize him as the coin toss guy from No Country for Old Men, but he's incredible here - he's equal parts magnetic and unsettling, and he works the part exactly as it needs to be worked, especially in a long interview sequence at the heart of the film.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Dalai Lamacide posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479162/

"Special", starring Michael Rapaport, is the best movies I have watched in years.

Huh, not bad, but not mind blowing. I can't tell if it would've been better if they didn't tell us what was going on right off the bat.

By the way, do you (or anyone) know what song is playing about the 25m mark? As he's driving around?

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

Not sure about the song. I wouldn't call it mind blowing, but it definitely has some headfuck moments.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Here's my impressions of Sacrament from the Toronto fest this year. I don't think they've changed much or would change on a second viewing.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm gonna try to keep this vague but it's nearly 3:30am so if there's spoilers here I apologize.

This is just my opinion, and I certainly have friends that caught this Sunday that thought it was the best of the Festival so far (which I think is reaching considering the amazing stuff on display this year) but I was extremely disappointed with The Sacrament. I mean, I have family from Guyana and am extremely familiar with People's Temple/Jonestown so maybe that's why I wasn't as impressed with this as some others were, and I've noticed that every single person that loves Sacrament doesn't really know much about what happened there.

I just feel like I was waiting for the signature Ti West twist and it just never comes. It plays out exactly as you expect, again if you know anything about Jonestown, but is somehow more trite than it should be, especially since the actual People's Temple footage and photos are horrific enough on their own (and far more so than West ever accomplishes here). At the same time, I was hoping for a little more about why The Father is so seductive to these people and that's not explored either. My benchmark for this sort of thing, at least with recent movies, is Martha Marcy May Marlene or even Leslie My Name Is Evil and West just never aspires to or reaches those levels with Sacrament.

One thing that stuck out to me was that they keep reminding us that there's 160-odd people at this commune but you never get the sense that there's anything more than about 50 people around. This is important because of the last point - it makes Father's influence seem a lot smaller than it should be, and he's therefore less threatening.

Another thing is the inclusion of Vice. Like, I get that West wanted to use a real brand and all, but there's so much bound up with them that it seems unnecessary. If West wanted to make a fictionalized Jonestown (and he did, since he literally said that in the Q&A), I don't know why he didn't make up a news organization so he wouldn't have to explain what Vice was, what they do, and have the audience enter with a preconceived notion about them if it's not being subverted in any way. Vice is all over the first third of the film and while I didn't feel like I was being advertised to, exactly, West does spend longer than he needs to on explaining what Vice is when you kind of just want them to get to the cult.

So I guess I'd recommend this movie if you've never read up on Jonestown and never want to, because honestly, the real story is about 1000x more impactful, extreme, and horrifying than what West has done here. The performances are generally pretty good and it's enjoyable enough while you're watching it (enjoyable is the wrong word given the subject matter but, again, it's late) but in not saying anything bigger or much more meaningful than "people be gullible" it's a big missed opportunity, in my opinion.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

ClydeUmney posted:

Also, the guy who plays Father, the leader of the cult, is phenomenal. You may recognize him as the coin toss guy from No Country for Old Men, but he's incredible here - he's equal parts magnetic and unsettling, and he works the part exactly as it needs to be worked, especially in a long interview sequence at the heart of the film.

If you mean Javier Bardem, that sounds amazing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

If you mean Javier Bardem, that sounds amazing.

Nah, the guy in the gas station.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

Nah, the guy in the gas station.

Oh, too bad. Could still be okay.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Holy poo poo Cheap Thrills. I loving love this movie. I maybe expected it to be faster paced or more bloody but I can't complain about how it turned out. I can't imagine anyone who could play David Koechner's part better than him. Pat Healy and Sara Paxton are really good too.

I never thought I'd laugh so hard at someone getting a finger chopped off.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Holy poo poo Cheap Thrills. I loving love this movie. I maybe expected it to be faster paced or more bloody but I can't complain about how it turned out. I can't imagine anyone who could play David Koechner's part better than him. Pat Healy and Sara Paxton are really good too.

I never thought I'd laugh so hard at someone getting a finger chopped off.

I watched this and the near-identical Would You Rather? in the same week. They're both decent; Cheap Thrills is probably the better of the two, since Would You Rather? plays out in an extremely obvious way. The ending of Cheap Thrills (the last shot I mean) is great especially in comparison.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah, not to drat it with faint praise, but I certainly wouldn't call it a great movie. But I really enjoyed it.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

acephalousuniverse posted:

I watched this and the near-identical Would You Rather? in the same week. They're both decent; Cheap Thrills is probably the better of the two, since Would You Rather? plays out in an extremely obvious way. The ending of Cheap Thrills (the last shot I mean) is great especially in comparison.

Yeah I've seen them both and only felt like I wasted my time with Would You Rather despite seeing it first. The only part I can recommend is Jeffrey Combs who hams it up wonderfully. Cheap Thrills is pretty slick and the ending is not bad. Neither are great but at least Cheap Thrills was entertaining. It was a CHEAP THRILL if you know what I mean.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Saw 1408 for the first time the other night and it was amazing. Not because it was good or anything, but watching John Cusack writhe around and bang on walls was probably the best thing I've seen on a screen all year. I'd probably prefer to watch that again over something with a serious tone like Mothaman Prophecies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

flashy_mcflash posted:

Here's my impressions of Sacrament from the Toronto fest this year. I don't think they've changed much or would change on a second viewing.

You were 100% correct, by the way.

Nabeshin_Afroman
Feb 17, 2005

he tips at the end of shoelaces are called 'aglets'. Their true purpose is sinister
Just watched Kill List what an amazing movie it has such a bleak feel throughout and the genre shift towards the end when it goes all Wicker Man is amazing needs a few more viewing I feel. It would make for a nice double feature with the Wicker Man I feel.

To add a recommendation to the thread i recently watched a movie called The Borderlands its a found footage movie with quite a slow build and a truly terrifying climax. The basic premise is a Vatican investigation team are called to the West country to investigate the claim of a divine miracle and well lets just say things don't quite go as planned I don't really want to say anymore as most of the first half of the movie is character building which leads to the slight change in direction for the terrifying end sequence. Its not available on demand anywhere that I am aware of yet so here is a Trailer.

Strangely there seems to be another movie currently available on amazon instant video called back from hell that shares the exact box art and a similar plot synopsis which is nowhere near as good.

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

After watching the trailer for "Clown", it got me thinking - there aren't many horror movies where a good person slowly turns into evil due to some external force. Can anybody recommend some movies that have that sort of premise?

The Fangoria movie I, Zombie does this and is pretty decent.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

tenniseveryone posted:

I just saw it and I agree. It was disturbing and fascinating at the same time. I've just ordered the novel that it was based on and almost made a review in Film Dump.

It is in art cinemas right now and the DVD will be released in July or August according to Amazon.

trailer.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
Three Extremes

This is a truly disturbing film that delves deep into the depths of human depravity. It's cut into three short stories each crazier than the next. There is *some* gore but it's a psychological thriller at it's core.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

ServoMST3K posted:

Saw 1408 for the first time the other night and it was amazing. Not because it was good or anything, but watching John Cusack writhe around and bang on walls was probably the best thing I've seen on a screen all year. I'd probably prefer to watch that again over something with a serious tone like Mothaman Prophecies.

The scene where he wrecks the mini-fridge after seeing Samuel Jackson in it made me and my friends cry tears of joy. It really is a fantastic movie

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

faustcf posted:

The Fangoria movie I, Zombie does this and is pretty decent.

I just saw this on youtube at the recommendation of HUNDU THE BEAST GOD, pretty great stuff and literally the most horrific masturbation scene this side of Antichrist

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
I've streamed a few low-budget movies recently that I think apply to this thread:

Resolution
Guy traps his meth head buddy in a remote house to force him to withdraw from the drugs and then go into rehab. Strangeness ensues.

I thought this was pretty decent, even from appreciating that there is a "legitimate" reason for them to be isolated and vulnerable (keeping the guy secure so he can't relapse) instead of taking off at the first signs of creepiness.

Not really "jump scares." Rather, weird poo poo happens and strange objects are found or discovered in unusual places, and continues to get weirder and more scary. I also liked that some of the concerns I originally had about possible plot holes were addressed eventually like who was recording the video of the addict in the beginning that drew the buddy out to him if the friend was actually all alone.

The ending was tense, but at the same time I guess I don't know if it made a lot of sense in the world of the film Why would the "presence" warn them of various possible fatal outcomes, and then get upset that they learned to avoid those outcomes and then survive?

Willow Creek
Bobcat Goldthwait's Bigfoot movie. Not what I would have expected from him, but he did a good job creating atmosphere and tension. (For the record, I actually liked God Bless America.)

Guy drags his girlfriend along as he researches the famous Bigfoot footage that everybody has seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cHFcHpRcuw.

He seems to be a true believer, and his girlfriend is just going along to humor him. They go to the real town near where the footage was shot, meet some "colorful" locals, etc. Then comes time to get down to business and actually head out to the woods. Big mistake.

Great visuals of the forest, giving a strong sense of how easily someone could get lost or injured naturally, without even needing a giant creature to attack you. Also some decent setup of how the locals may not take too kindly to a couple city jerks coming around to mock them or cause trouble. Both of these make you a bit unsure as to just what is happening to our couple as they camp out in the forest.

I am still going back and forth in my head about whether some of the problems that happen are a result of either the characters being idiots, or whether the movie is making mistakes.

1. If Bigfoots are so rarely seen or noticed, they're probably fairly skittish around humans. So why are they spending so much time around our couple in the woods?

2. If our hero is soooo into Bigfoot and wants to document their existence, when there is the possibility that there is a Bigfoot right outside his tent, why doesn't he at least stick the camera out there to see if he can record it? Of course it could be that he is an idiot who has gotten in over his head and is regretting everything, so maybe that's a character flaw instead of a movie flaw.

3. Ever hear of a campfire dude? Or a gun? Maybe you shouldn't be camping without the tiniest clue. Again probably a character flaw, not a movie flaw.

Anyway, the ending got pretty freaking intense and disturbed me a fair amount. I'm kind of a pussy though.

The Den
Kinda interesting, kinda crappy found-footage videochat-based movie. Main character gets a grant to study internet chatrooms, with trolls and attention seekers and whatever? Sure. Plus, who would actually want to spend their time video chatting with assholes?

But if I go with the premise, it has some good jumps and scares. Even some that are revealed to be jokes, but are actually fairly scary or intense.

Main character attracts the attention of internet evil, and a lot of death and mayhem ensue. Tone shifts at the end to more Saw or Hostel type gore.

Good tension and scares, then kind of a letdown at the end with the tone change. Ultimately depressing I guess.

I Am a Ghost
Super low-budget, tiny cast I said to my wife "looks like a Bed and Breakfast where they filmed it, and turns out it is. It does well with what it has, and takes its time to set the mood. There is a good amount of repetition that gets clarified later, so patience pays off in a way.

Still confused about the ending, but if it's what I think it is then it is quite a downer. I guess "true" horror, though not exactly "scary."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

Thunderlips posted:

The ending was tense, but at the same time I guess I don't know if it made a lot of sense in the world of the film Why would the "presence" warn them of various possible fatal outcomes, and then get upset that they learned to avoid those outcomes and then survive?

If you look at the "presence" as us, the audience, it makes a bit more sense. We can tell early on the two boys are aware of horror movie tropes and reasonably they refuse to give in to them. The "presence" wants a great story, and these guys are avoiding every cliche so it must end great right?

Well, no, the friend just gives up and says he'll let his friend take him to rehab. This, after making it very clear he's not going to stop. This makes us/the "presence" upset because what kind of an ending is that? Right where we'd groan or shout 'come on!' at the screen the presence makes itself known and the two guys realize all that's left for them is a closure-less ending.

That's how I see it anyway. Interesting idea even though the ending makes it necessary for it to be disappointing

• Locked thread