Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Colbert will be replacing Letterman

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/arts/television/stephen-colbert-to-succeed-letterman-on-late-show.html?smid=tw-bna

So I guess the #CancelColbert hashtag worked in a sense

Wow, how long can that last? Colbert is literally an imp, I don't know if he can just toe a network line every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

duz posted:

I'm just surprised by how crappy the paintings look. Those ones that leaked from his hacked email account seemed less melty-face than these.

This seems really petty to be honest. The guy's got more artistic talent than I do, that's for sure.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I just wanted to chime in after reading the last few pages and say that Angus King is the most balling name I've heard in at least a month. He sounds like a fast-food superhero.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Indeed, also see anything by any number of painters. I don't find anything wrong with the practice, just pointing out that someone did get sued for it recently and some people on this forum cheered (never mind the Zimmerman situation).

Talmonis posted:

This seems really petty to be honest. The guy's got more artistic talent than I do, that's for sure.

So I should provide constructive criticism only? I said that these look worse than his previously leaked ones, maybe these were done before those. I don't know, which is why it was surprising to me.

edit:

ColoradoCleric posted:

Maybe the Pastel Paintings from Past Presidents thread?

That'd be an good photoshop phriday at the very least.

duz fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 10, 2014

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't we take the art chat to Creative Convention?

Maybe the Pastel Paintings from Past Presidents thread?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Goons poo poo on multi-million dollar projects that look amazing and unique, but don't you dare criticize King George's art talent!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SedanChair posted:

Wow, how long can that last? Colbert is literally an imp, I don't know if he can just toe a network line every night.
That had not occurred to me. He pushes Viacom's boundaries regularly. MTV, Spike, Comedy Central, that Viacom. I don't know how he's going to cope with the boundaries of network.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Eulogistics posted:

I just wanted to chime in after reading the last few pages and say that Angus King is the most balling name I've heard in at least a month. He sounds like a fast-food superhero.

The best name in US politics is still Butch Otter, Governor of Idaho.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

dinoputz posted:

Just for yuks, I googled the guy's name to see what else he's been up to, and I just now found out he's been known to write for WorldNetDaily. I know I shouldn't be surprised or anything, but now I'm wondering whether his book cover shows up in this forum so often because of the ridiculousness of the subject matter, of if it's considered topical to GOP rebuilding because of his bizarre politics.

Somebody posted it yospos forever ago, but there's some feral youths and around blacks never relax poo poo in his books. Dude is definitely a racist, nerd shitlord.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The best name in US politics is still Butch Otter, Governor of Idaho.

He's still a fuckwad.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Who's behind Vox?

Korg, I think.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nonsense posted:

Goons poo poo on multi-million dollar projects that look amazing and unique, but don't you dare criticize King George's art talent!

Come on man, there's plenty to criticize about W's reign of terror. Why bother making GBS threads on him being an amateur painter? It just seems petty.

Really, being smug about anyone's lack of artistic talent is pretty dickish to me. Well, unless it's funny that is.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

He's still a fuckwad.

Everyone's a fuckwad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Someone equated Bush's paintings with Zimmerman's, and the concept is the same but the execution is way different.

Bush's paintings are imperfect and look like a painting done by an amateur.

Zimmerman's paintings look like a Photoshop filter on a jpg with some hacky bullshit scrawled on it and carefully screenprinted onto a canvas.

Both of them are lazy as gently caress, but Bush's paintings actually show effort. Also, Bush didn't gun down an unarmed teenager in Florida.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The crack researchers at the WSJ have made a discovery: the Mississippi Senate candidate who can't remember how many League of the South rallies he's spoken at is kind of a racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbRKeDb-6E

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Phone posted:

Also, Bush didn't gun down an unarmed teenager in Florida.

Let's be fair, the world would be a far better place if that was the worst thing he did.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, Zimmerman has a lot of ground to cover to catch up with Bush.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The crack researchers at the WSJ have made a discovery: the Mississippi Senate candidate who can't remember how many League of the South rallies he's spoken at is kind of a racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbRKeDb-6E

Our first clue that he was a Republican from Mississippi.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I did the math, Ryan's budget requires a 4.3% growth rate consistently for 10 years to work*. Last time the US held that kind of rate for multiple years was under Kennedy.

* To balance the budget, if it works it still kills thousands by cutting seniors' health care by 46%.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It drives me nuts that Ryan is held up as a economic/budgetary savant by Republicans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

shrike82 posted:

It drives me nuts that Ryan is held up as a economic/budgetary savant by Republicans.

Anyone who is a economic or budgetary savant is already not a Republican.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It makes perfect sense if you remember he's being held up by the Republican party.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fojar38 posted:

I refuse to defend the Iraq War but I think you'd have to be pretty ballsy to argue that removing Saddam Hussein from power wasn't an objectively good thing.

9 out of 10 child brides agree with you!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/10753645/Iraq-ready-to-legalise-childhood-marriage.html

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

shrike82 posted:

I like to think he's the only one who actually comes up with anything other than "loving OBAMA!"

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

fade5 posted:

:words: about Libya

I don't mean to be 'that guy', but Libya is not in the Middle East. It's in Africa...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Introduced into Congress this month: H.R. 4142: the No Welfare for Weed Act of 2014.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Keep in mind that block-granting Medicaid is straight up gonna kill thousands of old people. It's legislative mass murder. Paul Ryan don't care, Paul Ryan's got his, nobody in Paul Ryan's family is on Medicaid (any more).

Can we elaborate on how this is so, in small words that people can remember? The older folks on my Facebook (goddamn they have a lot of free time!) should probably be agitating about this but they haven't been exposed to any clarity yet.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's some mighty fine quality States Rights right there!

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Are any of Ryan's cuts cuts to the rate of growth?

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!
UN publishes excoriating report regarding US Human Rights violations, criminilization of the homeless; US responds with *Thhhhppppprrrrtttttttt*

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I did the math, Ryan's budget requires a 4.3% growth rate consistently for 10 years to work*. Last time the US held that kind of rate for multiple years was under Kennedy.

* To balance the budget, if it works it still kills thousands by cutting seniors' health care by 46%.

I assume this is assuming an average tax rate, or did you weigh sectors by tax burden, figure out their growth, and then aggregate that for the average growth figure?

Like if the growth is concentrated in middle class incomes you'll see a burst in tax revenues but if the growth was in companies that have reduced their tax burden to zero you won't, so you need middle class incomes need to grow faster to "compensate" for the fact that the growth those companies had won't be reflected in tax revenues, and then integrate these various growth rates to find the necessary average annual growth rate to make this work

Basically, can you post your work? Is like to see how you did it so I can do it in the future :)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Fried Chicken posted:

Money I don't know. Writers they basically grabbed all the young "wonk" types they could, like Ezra Klein and Matt Yglesias. Matt Tabbi I think went to First Look, but he might have gone to vox. Basically the fallout of Bezos buying the WaPo led to a lot of number crunching contributors going off and doing their own thing because they didn't hew to the new company line on policy

He did. I miss his RS pieces already :(

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Does he make up his own rate of growth based on some nonsense model that his office has produced, or has the plan been rated by the CBO presumably using the same model and assumptions that White House budget proposals use?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Given what we've seen from him till now, he probably pulled it out of his rear end.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So since buying marijuana with EBT is already illegal, the only change is that stores that sell marijuana products can't sell other products and accept EBT, even if they are otherwise legitimate.

Are there even any dispensaries that this would affect? Way to swing for the fences, Mr. Gosar.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Only 12 Republicans voted against the Ryan budget, but three of them (Broun, Gingrey, and Kingston) are running for Senate in Georgia.

Here's the NYT graphic for the vote: http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/113/house/2/177

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Don't foodstuffs have to specifically be approved to be purchasable with EBT/WIC? I know products in the grocery store are labeled "WIC" for compatibility with that and it's been a while since I was on food stamps (back when it was food stamps), but I'm almost certain that there are all manner of foods/non-foods you can't get with them. Can you get any kind of OTC medicine with EBT?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Can we elaborate on how this is so, in small words that people can remember? The older folks on my Facebook (goddamn they have a lot of free time!) should probably be agitating about this but they haven't been exposed to any clarity yet.

Well, there are two big ways it will happen.

The first is that the block grant is designed to be cheaper than the projected growth rate in Medicaid costs. In other words, Medicaid will pay less for everything.

The second is that "block granting" means that all the federal rules on how Medicaid money has to be spent -- for example, "Medicaid must cover nursing facility care" -- would go away. So Medicaid would be paying for significantly fewer things, and what specific things Medicaid would cover would be dictated by the states. As part of all the rules going away, all the federal rules giving people rights under Medicaid would go away -- all the rules that protect patients and allow them to contest denials and so forth, all gone. Theoretically state regulation could fill that gap, but in a lot of states that won't happen, or won't happen adequately -- the federal rules exist for a reason, they're necessary.

Most Medicaid funding is tied up in long-term health care costs -- nursing homes, assisted living facilities, etc. -- so those would likely be the first cuts to be made. If you have a family member or relative in a Medicaid-funded nursing home bed, under the Ryan budget, that relative is likely either moving into your house or getting abandoned on the street. Think of the savings!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 10, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Eulogistics posted:

Don't foodstuffs have to specifically be approved to be purchasable with EBT/WIC? I know products in the grocery store are labeled "WIC" for compatibility with that and it's been a while since I was on food stamps (back when it was food stamps), but I'm almost certain that there are all manner of foods/non-foods you can't get with them. Can you get any kind of OTC medicine with EBT?

I believe WIC only applies to specific selected items, but EBT applies to anything classified as "food", and its not cooked or otherwise "prepared". Although I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Think of the savings!

Thanks for that, I'm well enough armed now to at least play at being an information traffic cop when the topic arises.

• Locked thread