Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yup.

quote:

However, she was captured by slavers (apparently still at a young age) when she swooped down from flight to rescue a child fleeing from them. They sold her to a circus, where she was kept on display and in a cage so small she had no room to stand, much less stretch her wings, which eventually became diseased. The infection threatened her life, which was saved in a very crude manner by painfully chopping off the wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wait, there are winged people now?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

quote:

However, she was captured by slavers when she swooped down from flight to rescue a child fleeing from them.
Swooping is bad. :suicide:

KoB posted:

Wait, there are winged people now?
Not in Dragon Age. Schubalts quote is about Aerie from Baldur's Gate 2.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Kaidan is an understatedly humorous character, and it's too bad everyone hates him, because he's actually pretty drat great.

If you want a stream-of-diarrhea writeup of the apparent happenings in Masked Empire: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age:_The_Masked_Empire

I think the reason people hate Kaiden is that Rafael Sbarge, was also the voice of Carth Onasi. And people transferred their Carth hatred on to Kaiden. I was guilty of that too but my fiancee convinced me to not kill him first opportunity and the writing was very good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I never liked Aerie, but you cannot compare the real terrible poo poo she had to go through (including being adopted by Quayle!), with the rather tame things Alistair had to stomach.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alistair is not only whiny, he's also a massive prick about everything. It's kinda amazing how someone can be written as so unlikeable at every turn.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
Alistair is compassionate though. Or at least, he would be, if your party members didn't just stand there like mooks and not make any attempt to restrain you as you literally murder people in front of them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They know that if they get in the way of The Murder Knife, they're gonna get The Murder Knife. Seriously, look at it, would you want to go anywhere near that if someone else was holding it and gearing up for some murder?

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

mesmerizing

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Man, I can't wait for like 4 different characters in DA3 to make references to calibrations the murder knife.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

losonti tokash posted:

Man, I can't wait for like 4 different characters in DA3 to make references to calibrations the murder knife.

Hahaha calibrations guys remember that.

Hey we just killed off another character for no reason.

But hey calibrations :smith:

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
New DA:I character confirmed: Murder Knife

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So this game won't have any DLC characters because people were mad that Origins and DA2 had on-disc DLC characters.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

:lol: Cassandra Pentaghast, never knew that was her full name. Is she a seventeen-year-old goffic vampire witch who attends Hogwarts School in England?

Shame about no extra characters though. They've been some of the best characters in their respective games, but gently caress day 1 DLC :zaeed:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Krowley posted:

:lol: Cassandra Pentaghast, never knew that was her full name. Is she a seventeen-year-old goffic vampire witch who attends Hogwarts School in England?

Shame about no extra characters though. They've been some of the best characters in their respective games, but gently caress day 1 DLC :zaeed:

Huh? I don't know what you are talking about (I only saw the Harry Potter films). Is there some Harry Potter character with a similar name?

Penthagast had me immediately think of Pendragon (like in Uther Pendragon, King Arthur's father) which apparently means "head dragon" or "chief dragon" and is probably somewhat appropriate as the name of the royal family of Nevarra, which are also the biggest dragon hunters in all of Thedas. I think I stand on firm grounds when I say that this is the most likely origin of the name.

Good to hear! Finally, Bioware shows that they can learn from mistakes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Huh? I don't know what you are talking about (I only saw the Harry Potter films). Is there some Harry Potter character with a similar name?

Penthagast had me immediately think of Pendragon (like in Uther Pendragon, King Arthur's father) which apparently means "head dragon" or "chief dragon" and is probably somewhat appropriate as the name of the royal family of Nevarra, which are also the biggest dragon hunters in all of Thedas. I think I stand on firm grounds when I say that this is the most likely origin of the name.

He's referring to mary-sue fanfic characters with convoluted backstories and silly names, see My Immortal for the most infamous example.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

Alouicious posted:

Alistair is not only whiny, he's also a massive prick about everything. It's kinda amazing how someone can be written as so unlikeable at every turn.

The problem with Alistair and Morrigan in DAO is that their personalities don't gel with your mission. Every time you offer to help someone Morrigan complains, but how else are you supposed to get xp? And Alistair is difficult to befriend no matter what you do (this wouldn't be a problem if there was another way to unlock the Templar specialization).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Prophetess Five-Ghoul is a pretty funny name.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Alistair does whine a lot though. He whines about a lot of trivial poo poo and will bring up his past problems at the drop of a hat. Even ignoring his past though he'll whine about a ton of poo poo. Waaaah you didn't conduct a horrible blood ritual to save a dumb kid! Waaaah you're making me take responsibilities to save an entire country! Waaaah you're not executing a guy to sate my desire for pointless revenge! WAAAAAAH DUNCAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!! :qq:

You know that whole issue could have been resolved if the experience warden had explained to Alistair some of the possible uses of a Warden when it comes to dealing with the blight I think he would have been much more onboard with the whole situation. Also I wanted to kill that moron just as much as Alistair did because he was the moron who got the king killed and plunged his country into a civil war whilst the forces of hell were invading due to having issues with the previous human oppressors. "Yes I know that a hoard of flesh hung monster are invading to devour all of humanity but its more important to focus on how untrustworthy our neighbour/former oppressor was even though at there worst they were never as bad as the literal monsters trying to kill us all" :tinfoil:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeaaah, I found it very hard to not kill Loghain, even if he's a good companion, because literally all the problems are his fault.

I did like that one of the dialogue options when Anora says she's going to kill Alistair is "FINALLY!" (or something to that effect).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I liked saving Loghain because it meant I didn't have to let Morrigan have a demon baby, but didn't have to kill my character. I almost always hardened and set Alistair up as king anyways, so it didn't really bother me.

He is nuts though, and the only reason to spare him is to let him die instead of people who aren't nuts. I guess I can understand why Alistair may not like the idea of letting the guy who caused the Warden's death into the Warden's, even if it's to die, but holy crap man, the Wardens literally recruit serial killers, murderers, thieves, every bad thing in society! Even traitors! It's not some magical order that we're tainting by letting a single bad person into it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
But death was too good for him. It's much more fun to think of the special hell that is a nationalistic fantasy Brit being stuck helping out fantasy Frenchmen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

I liked saving Loghain because it meant I didn't have to let Morrigan have a demon baby, but didn't have to kill my character. I almost always hardened and set Alistair up as king anyways, so it didn't really bother me.

He is nuts though, and the only reason to spare him is to let him die instead of people who aren't nuts. I guess I can understand why Alistair may not like the idea of letting the guy who caused the Warden's death into the Warden's, even if it's to die, but holy crap man, the Wardens literally recruit serial killers, murderers, thieves, every bad thing in society! Even traitors! It's not some magical order that we're tainting by letting a single bad person into it.

But DUNCAN! :qq:

I'm sure those two guys Duncan murder knifed at the beginning of the game totally deserved it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

MantisToboggan posted:

And Alistair is difficult to befriend no matter what you do (this wouldn't be a problem if there was another way to unlock the Templar specialization).
:confused: All you had to do was not belittle or dismiss him. Admittedly that temptation can be pretty difficult to resist.

Also, reminder that Alistair is 20 years old in DA:O. That at least partially explains why he's such an immature manchild in the way he deals with poo poo. I actually like him as a significantly flawed character... but I'm not entirely convinced all of that was intentional.

That said, Morrigan gets mad at you for super dumb, short-sighted reasons sometimes.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

But DUNCAN! :qq:

I'm sure those two guys Duncan murder knifed at the beginning of the game totally deserved it.

They were Darkspawn, so yeah, probably...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, that was the game's grimdark way of establishing the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, given the Grey Wardens are tasked with preventing a potential apocalypse I thought it was fair they stopped people blabbing about the more unpleasant and controversial aspects of their organisation.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

MantisToboggan posted:

The problem with Alistair and Morrigan in DAO is that their personalities don't gel with your mission. Every time you offer to help someone Morrigan complains, but how else are you supposed to get xp? And Alistair is difficult to befriend no matter what you do (this wouldn't be a problem if there was another way to unlock the Templar specialization).

I've never found Alistair difficult to befriend? You just act like a decent human being to him, and he loves you.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Leelee posted:

I've never found Alistair difficult to befriend? You just act like a decent human being to him, and he loves you.

And there's the rub, since he's such an smarmy, glib prick.

Also Loghain is basically the only character in the game with an actual, honest to god character arc. I mean sure, maybe talk to one of your unlikeable assholes following you around for nebulous reasons and they might change somewhat, slightly. But spare Loghain and he actually has a complete character arc.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Leelee posted:

Yeah, just be a decent hero, help people out instead of mindlessly murdering them for fun/stat boosts, and don't immediately call him a whiner when he dares to speak of less than happy childhood and Alistair will lay down and die for you. I don't get why he gets so much hate from some people as if he was an actual puzzle to get along with. We're not talking about having a second Morrigan here.

Just treat him as a somewhat respected, but still goofy sidekick and you'll be golden.

Alouicious posted:

And there's the rub, since he's such an smarmy, glib prick.

Also Loghain is basically the only character in the game with an actual, honest to god character arc. I mean sure, maybe talk to one of your unlikeable assholes following you around for nebulous reasons and they might change somewhat, slightly. But spare Loghain and he actually has a complete character arc.

So you're pissed that Alistair actually takes offense at letting the guy who indirectly contributed to his substitute family (as well as his actual brother) being killed, hunted you throughout the entire game, screwed up any chance at Fereldan being prepared for the Blight, and had you tortured right before the scene where you can try to recruit him?

How dare Alistair have a realistic response to the man who basically made himself your mortal enemy instead of falling in line?!

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 10, 2014

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Stroop There It Is posted:

That said, Morrigan gets mad at you for super dumb, short-sighted reasons sometimes.

You mean Master Manipulator Morrigan? Nah you just don't get here. She's uh, she's like brilliant. And totally naive, too. And speaks in Olde English for some reason (even her mom doesn't do that, how did that happen?).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had the stupid idea to play DA2 again, only apparently the PS3 digital version has a bug now where it won't update and the opening cutscene with Varric causes your PS3 to grind to a halt and require unplugging. This exact thing has been reported by a bunch of people and there's apparently no solution at all. GG Bioware.

Has anyone ever had success getting a refund out of EA?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Has anyone ever had success getting a refund out of EA?

Not if you're playing it *again*.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drifter posted:

Not if you're playing it *again*.

This is the digital copy. The physical copy I had is the one I played before.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

precision posted:

This is the digital copy. The physical copy I had is the one I played before.

I called EA in the past over an Origin issue. They may give you a PC copy for free, which is what they did for me (I had it on disc and the disc stopped working). Worth a shot calling them or using the chat box for help.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I really liked Loghain as a villian and saved him entirely because i like his voice actor and wanted to hear more of his dialogue. I'd have preferred it if they had made it so he had a plan that had an even slight chance in hell of working though, rather than the gently caress everything up and than get everyone killed by orcs approach.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Or if there was more to his fear of Orlesian help than just his undying founding father hatred of Fantasy France to make his actions seem more logical or unavoidable. Like stumbling across treaties which assured assistance came at the cost of some severe strategic sacrifice and/or economic concessions to Orlais. But that require the writers to consider actual backdoor politics which could be involved in anything besides an obvious bad guy plot.

Edit: Also, speaking of every country being a fantasy equivalent of something, what the gently caress is Kirkwall supposed to be? Because I will be slightly miffed if Kirkwall is some Germanic city-state. I mean, the Mother Courage style assured horrible fate of DA2 would sort of make up for it, but I still think they should be able to make better tiny principalities or the like of a medieval slice of central Europe.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 10, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Or if there was more to his fear of Orlesian help than just his undying founding father hatred of Fantasy France to make his actions seem more logical or unavoidable. Like stumbling across treaties which assured assistance came at the cost of some severe strategic sacrifice and/or economic concessions to Orlais. But that require the writers to consider actual backdoor politics which could be involved in anything besides an obvious bad guy plot.

He hates Orlais because they raped and murdered his mother in front of him and subjugated his country and all that. Even if Loghain was sort of comically evil, his hate of Orlais is totally justified.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

The only backdoor politics the Bioware writers are capable of writing involves a bottle of lube, a troubled youth, a few smarmy looks and a fade to black.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

KoB posted:

He hates Orlais because they raped and murdered his mother in front of him and subjugated his country and all that. Even if Loghain was sort of comically evil, his hate of Orlais is totally justified.

They also killed his dog.

I'm not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

KoB posted:

Leelee posted:

They also killed his dog.

I'm not kidding.

Almost stereotypical personal vendettas are nice, but when the writing requires Kain to be some kind of strategic and political genius that allowed Fereldon to have successfully won against the might of Orlais, I'd expect a little more forethought and purpose to his actions besides drat THOSE FROGGIES!:britain: I know their war hounds are cool as all get out, but come on. Give me some more Henry V than John Lackland. :v:

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 10, 2014

• Locked thread