Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That last gif is such a great sequence, he starts going to the body and right when the elbows drop low enough he switches back to the head, then immediately dodges the counter like he had an egg timer on it. Goddamn.

Also note he's touching Guyborg's head with his head so he knows instantly when dude starts to shift his weight. smartlike.

I could see Hendricks getting swarmed like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Johny is a better wrestler than GSP. I don't think he has much to worry about from Diaz.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

coconono posted:

Also note he's touching Guyborg's head with his head so he knows instantly when dude starts to shift his weight. smartlike.

I could see Hendricks getting swarmed like that.

Hendricks would wrestle the poo poo out of Diaz's narrow rear end.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That last gif is such a great sequence, he starts going to the body and right when the elbows drop low enough he switches back to the head, then immediately dodges the counter like he had an egg timer on it. Goddamn.

That fight is one of my favorites, basically just Nick beating up some skilled man. He ends it with an amazing sequence into an armbar as well, I'll try and find a gif of that.

edit:

He does that great roll and then, -critically- he doesn't go straight for the arm. He punches to Cyborgs guts. These don't hurt, but they annoy and distract. As soon as Cyborg moves, Diaz straightens the arm and thats that.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 10, 2014

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Johny is a better wrestler than GSP. I don't think he has much to worry about from Diaz.

gsp's top control was really really good in that fight, and diaz was incredibly active and did a pretty good job wearing gsp out. johny is strong as gently caress, so that might help him keep diaz down, but he could end up incredibly gassed

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the bj penn fight was probably the best diaz fight. bj got him down with his improved wrestling (tm), got into his most effective position by taking the back with hoooks in and diaz got out, and bj immediately broke. it was good.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Man out of time right there, thats like turn-of-the-century boxing where they still fought bare knuckle sometimes and would try to break hands with their foreheads and poo poo.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxwnY0lRw0

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

Man out of time right there, thats like turn-of-the-century boxing where they still fought bare knuckle sometimes and would try to break hands with their foreheads and poo poo.

josh barnett and fedor and lots of dudes do that poo poo all the time

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

david carmichael posted:

josh barnett and fedor and lots of dudes do that poo poo all the time

Use their heads to break hands?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/11/16/3642584/the-pugilist-comparing-nick-diaz-daniel-mendoza-sweet-science-boxing-wrestling-prizefighting

This very thing is discussed in this article. It's wild stuff.

The best Diaz fights are his 2 from '04 against Lawler and Parisyan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JDS tried it a lot in the second and third fights with Cain. He's not very good at it though.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Use their heads to break hands?

pick shots off with their skull, yes.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
JDS kept his hands low to guard the takedown and in turn got punched in the head a whole bunch, he was trying to avoid them

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
cyborg kicked the poo poo out of nick's leg in that fight iirc, it was pretty brutal and competitive until the armbar

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Sprecherscrow posted:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/11/16/3642584/the-pugilist-comparing-nick-diaz-daniel-mendoza-sweet-science-boxing-wrestling-prizefighting

This is really good and I now believe in reincarnation.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sprecherscrow posted:

I thought I read this back in the day! Thanks for finding this.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Foul Fowl posted:

cyborg kicked the poo poo out of nick's leg in that fight iirc, it was pretty brutal and competitive until the armbar

Yeah the Diaz's believe that anything that isn't boxing or traditional BJJ (see: wrestling, leg kicks) is cheating.

I was gonna write that sentence as "Nick believes," but part of the Diaz magic is that if you write a sentence about one of the brothers it's true for the other one 95% of the time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

attackmole posted:

Yeah the Diaz's believe that anything that isn't boxing or traditional BJJ (see: wrestling, leg kicks) is cheating.

Lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2m5FjVCrxs

They also make decent use of judo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Count Roland posted:

Lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2m5FjVCrxs

They also make decent use of judo.

Only because Nick gets all weird feeling when he's around Ronda Rousey.

http://youtu.be/xkWtQ1yRNrY?t=2m36s

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I thought I read this back in the day! Thanks for finding this.

It's funny, when I went to look for it I couldn't remember who wrote it or what website or much of the details, so I got it by Googling "Nick Diaz 18th Century". Part of me was hoping I'd get A Gentleman Never Tells, but I guess that'd be 19th century.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

When Big John was asked why he didn't call it on either time Diaz got dropped and was getting beat on is because Nick kept shittalking the whole time. Dude is facedown on the drat mat and still talking poo poo to Daley.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

When Big John was asked why he didn't call it on either time Diaz got dropped and was getting beat on is because Nick kept shittalking the whole time. Dude is facedown on the drat mat and still talking poo poo to Daley.

Amazing.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

tesilential posted:

Coincidently I was clearing out old notes on my iPhone yesterday and found a comment I typed after Condit v Diaz. At the time the Forums were crashing often on my phone so I typed it in notes and meant to paste it in the UFC thread, but forgot. I'll just leave it right here:

On 7am Feb 12, 2012, I posted:

"I watched the fight at home with a couple MMA friends.

We all thought Diaz won round 1 and 2, although they were pretty close. Condit was moving straight back and fell into Nick's game several times. Then rounds 3 and 4 were clearly Condit's, with Diaz looking silly and confused. I don't even remember him connecting at all in one of the rounds.  

When five began, it was conceivably even on the scorecards although Carlos most certainly had huge momentum going in his favor.  He seemed to continue to win the striking, despite Diaz picking up the pace. The round was closer than 3 and 4 but still leaning towards Carlos when Diaz took his back and got him down. At that point it looked like Diaz might be able to steal the round, if not submit Condit. He stayed active and looked good on the ground until he went for the armbar and finished the fight getting elbowed by Los.

The judging criteria says the fifth should be awarded to the more successful striker since the round was primarily fought standing, but since the standup was sort of close and Diaz had the single most dominant minute(s) of the fight, I'd like to give him the 5th round.

We are all fans of both guys but were cheering for Diaz for the comedy factor. the overall vibe we had before the decision was sadness because Condit would get the decision. That said it should have been 3-2 condit or 3-2 Diaz. 4-1 Condit doesn't make sense to me."

Nobody is gonna read this.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Nobody is gonna read this.

I read it and I regret doing so.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think I am a Diaz fan now.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Tim the dirt bird means is back in the UFC to fight Neil Magny

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I can't believe Neil Magny won his last fight

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

This is the best fight to show people that are unfamiliar with the sport.

Coolest round ever.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Tezcatlipoca posted:

same

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Lloyd Boner posted:

I can't believe Neil Magny won his last fight

TUF 16 NEVER DIE :smith:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Aurain posted:

Tweets from Abu Schaubi and Hunto seem to suggest that they're going to be fighting next, after the speculation about it.

While I love the thought of Hunt knocking out Schaub I kinda feel he should be getting someone a little better.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Ewar Woowar posted:

While I love the thought of Hunt knocking out Schaub I kinda feel he should be getting someone a little better.

Eh, he's had a long layoff and has been punching upwards (figuratively this time) for a long time now.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

My favorite Diaz moments (and I'm trying to remember these quotes the best I can) are the more subtle trash talk (not that him calling his opponent a bitch mid fight isnt funny) where he'll say things like 'elbows and kicks to the head sound good but can you get those off while you are running backward?" or when he praises a guy then slams him like after the Condit fight. He says something like "Carlos you're the man" and then immediately after talks poo poo about him like "I don't need this poo poo. I backed him up the whole fight and all he hit me with was baby kicks."

Also "I lost but I don't accept that. I've lost before but I don't accept those either."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
abu schaubi won't be able to deal with the best ankle picks at heavyweight

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Condit won that fight 4-1 IMO and anybody who thinks that is an impossible score probably smoked too much heefer.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

So I check this thread on lunch today and it's turned into a Nick Diaz appreciation thread.

It's a good day.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
idk seems less appreciation and more 'statement of facts'

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Eh, he's had a long layoff and has been punching upwards (figuratively this time) for a long time now.

gently caress it, I'm happy for Hunt to just knock dudes out for the rest of his career. Doubly so when they're guys I don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Apparently after watching the video of Akiyama and his daughter that someone posted earlier, Youtube recommended me a similar video of the two, but this time with Uncle Stun Gun hanging out with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkrjejNyOok

It's adorable, I don't know why.

• Locked thread