Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Backov posted:

Heathens. I love my little S90. Here I am getting ready to head out.

I'm imagining race leathers and boots with the same graphic patterns as that kid's pajamas and 'flops and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Twerk from Home posted:

A friend of mine is wondering about what it would cost to get a $300 abandoned CB750 running reliably:

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4415133285.html

I'm assuming that they're selling it because the answer is "too much". Whats parts availability like for these guys?

Just gonna quote myself:

Z3n posted:

It's not even worth looking at.

Tires - 250 bucks. 1 hour
Carb rebuild kits can run upwards of 250 bucks depending on what needs to be replaced. 8 hours if you've never done it before.
Stored outside - 120 bucks for replacement rubber bits - carb boots, intake boots, and other airbox related poo poo, plus all the fuel lines. 1 hour
Brake lines are hosed - 100 bucks. 2 hours
Brake fluid is definitely toast, master cylinders might be too, figure $50 - 2 hours
Going to need to deal with those loving absurd forward controls that someone put on it, that's another 100 bucks in parts to find the appropriate pegs, mounts, if they didn't loving cut them off because idiots who do that poo poo love to do that kinda stuff - anywhere from 2 to 10 hours, depending on how bad they hosed it up
The fork seals and rear suspension rebuild, that'll be another 100 bucks in parts - 2 hours
Another 150 bucks in chain, sprockets, cause those are probably hosed - 1 hour
This is assuming the brakes are otherwise in perfect condition, if they're not, 200 bucks in rotors, pads, shoes, whatever if you want decent replacement stuff. If you're willing to gamble on ebay parts, that can be done a bit cheaper. - 2 hours
Oh, and you haven't opened the engine - air filter, oil, oil filter, valve check, spark plugs - that's another 100 bucks. - 4 hours
Somewhere you're going to need at least one set of wheel/head/swingarm bearings, too, that's another 30 bucks. 1 hour

That's just the easy poo poo. Tank rusted out? You're stripping it, hoping it's not so far gone that it's just a mess of pinhole leaks. Ignitor cover is missing, so poo poo's hosed there too, maybe if you're lucky you can find an electronic ignitor for it, that'll only cost you 200 bucks or so plus another few hours of your time...

Yay, now you're only $2000 into your bike, a reasonable estimation of ~35 hours of work into it, and you still have a lovely bike from the 70s that's a poo poo starter bike, heavy and overpowered. Oh, and it still looks like something that sat in a barn for 15 years. You can spraybomb it for another 50-100 bucks, and maybe it'll look kinda less lovely. Or doing paint right will cost you 500-1000 bucks.

And that's if literally everything else is perfect. Everything. That's if you fire it up and it runs forever.

Don't even loving bother. I can tell from looking at it that it's not serviceable as a first bike for someone who wants to ride motorcycles. If you just want to have something in your garage to suck up time and money, well, you should have said that in the first place and start a thread when you buy it.

If you want an honest estimation of if the bike is worth a poo poo, the only way to do it is to get the bike running then and there, which is always risky, cause at that level of shitshow you're hooking up a battery, firing ether into the intake, and hoping it lights enough, doesn't spit something through the crankcase, and even then, all of the above are guaranteed to apply. Might also have sludge/water for oil, so if you had torn it down and gotten rid of that poo poo, maybe it would be decent if everything isn't all rusted out from the water...

None of this is a dig on your expertise at rebuilding firearms or dickwaving on projects completed, or how good a mechanic your friend is. It's just that if you're going to walk into this, know that it's going to run you 2k to get it running and safe. If you're lucky.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What is a BMW K75 like?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You'll grow a ill-kept grey beard and suddenly be super into HAM radios and trains.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spiffness posted:

You'll grow a ill-kept grey beard and suddenly be super into HAM radios and trains.

You coulda just said autism.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

What is a BMW K75 like?

Power up high on the tach, handle a little wierd but super comfortable. Lots and lots of tech. These things had ABS, Fuel Injection, heated grips, self canceling blinkers, front and rear disc brakes, the works - in like 1983 or whenever they came out.

The 750 engine is like the smoothest engine ever. Period. I swear to god you could forget it's running (also sounds drat good). Full factory stainless exhaust. Aluminum gas-tank. Well engineered kit.

Basically the K75 is a great machine, just a little heavy, has some weird handling characteristics.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Have a 94 K75RT. Great tourer, ~200 miles to a tank, all the gizmos, and guaranteed to start every time. That said, it's very top heavy, very heavy, and wicked difficult to ride at a walking pace. I've had this since January and am giving serious thought to getting rid and picking up something a lot better suited to commuting. It's also good to note that a lot of the community of this bike is slowly dying of graybeard, and they are worth so little now that any fix > $500 is probably going to junk it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Niacin posted:

Have a 94 K75RT. Great tourer, ~200 miles to a tank, all the gizmos, and guaranteed to start every time. That said, it's very top heavy, very heavy, and wicked difficult to ride at a walking pace. I've had this since January and am giving serious thought to getting rid and picking up something a lot better suited to commuting. It's also good to note that a lot of the community of this bike is slowly dying of graybeard, and they are worth so little now that any fix > $500 is probably going to junk it.

Why is it difficult to ride slowly?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, after seeing videos like this, I no longer believe anyone who says you can't ride a heavy bike slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNh8tquXzc8

The K75 sounds like pretty much exactly the kind of bike I want, except for two things: the weight and the engine. I like a bike that's light and I actually really like the throbbing and vibrating of a bouncy engine. I've never ridden something with a "turbine-smooth" engine but I feel like it must lose some of the appeal of motorcycling. The range, reliability, ABS and styling (there's something appealing to me about late 80s designs) all sound great though.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

High Protein posted:

Why is it difficult to ride slowly?

I carries its weight poorly. Also the engine is effectively turned so that the pistons travel parrallel to the ground and it pulls on the bike somewhat.

They don't handle BAD, they're just... quirky.

For instance, mine one went into a head-shake... with new tires, good balance, setup suspension.. for no readily apperant reason, while i was all locked into a nice 65 MPH sweeper. On an overpass ... 100 feet over the highway below me.

That was rather unsettling.

But besides that it's been a loving great machine. Not to say I don't enjoy my triumph a lot more, the K75 will always hold a special place in my heart - and be the standard to my compulsive "Jesus Christ what is that loving sound!" paranoia I have on my Triumph.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, after seeing videos like this, I no longer believe anyone who says you can't ride a heavy bike slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNh8tquXzc8

The K75 sounds like pretty much exactly the kind of bike I want, except for two things: the weight and the engine. I like a bike that's light and I actually really like the throbbing and vibrating of a bouncy engine. I've never ridden something with a "turbine-smooth" engine but I feel like it must lose some of the appeal of motorcycling. The range, reliability, ABS and styling (there's something appealing to me about late 80s designs) all sound great though.

If you're in the Bay Area, you can come by and have a go if you want.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Hey guys how does this deal look?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4377449515.html

Some dude ran a stop and totaled my car, so now I am looking for a motorcycle in the GA area.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What the gently caress.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/4417129511.html

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Niacin posted:

PM sent.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hella :japan:. Seriously, that wouldn't draw a second glance over here... the best are the ones with really loud sound systems you can hear Doppler'ing by playing all manner of terrible Japanese music.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hella :japan:. Seriously, that wouldn't draw a second glance over here... the best are the ones with really loud sound systems you can hear Doppler'ing by playing all manner of terrible Japanese music.

That thing looks like a rolling sensory deprivation tank and now I'm picturing hundreds of those scooters rolling through the streets of Japan playing womb sounds on sick sound systems.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Somebody buy this.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4418505645.html

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Some Mad Max poo poo going on in this craiglist ad:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/4407395410.html

I think the skull tasseles really give it that wow factor

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

kloa posted:

Some Mad Max poo poo going on in this craiglist ad:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/4407395410.html

I think the skull tasseles really give it that wow factor

I think that's quite possibly the ugliest bike I've ever seen. It seriously looks like a turd.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

new orleans has the worst god drat bikes for sale, its awful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh look, a Hawk GT with only 10,000 miles, bone stock and in perfect condition, sold by the original owner, asking $2150!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4431664136.html

Seriously gently caress not having a garage or any other reasonable place to have a second bike! Jesus.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/edmonton/1982-suzuki-gsx-katana-gsx750sz/584950408?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

1982 Suzuki Katana GSX750SZ

Now available is a pristine example of an all-original bike, with no modifications. This bike had remained with the original owner over the past 30 years, always stored indoors with mileage of only 23,700 KM when sold to me in July, 2012.

Comes with;

Original Bill of Sale, Service Card, Owner's Manual
Tool Kit,
2 sets of original keys

Since purchasing the bike in July 2012, I’ve added;

New clutch ($500)
New Avon tires ($545)
New speedo cable ($20)
Only 757 KM in past 20 months

Only issues are minor rust bubbling on right side muffler and small split on left side muffler, which do not affect overall noise or performance.

This motorcycle is extremely collectable due to it's rarity, original condition and provenance, certain to hold its value over the long term.

The Suzuki Katana has historical influence in the design of modern-day motorcycles, and is a piece of Art you can admire in your garage, and on the open road.

Motorcycle is located in Calgary.

See it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4vSmQZ4PuQ

Rare, limited, low mileage, classic, vintage, collectable

Dude also has a 928 in the driveway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Seriously gently caress not having a garage or any other reasonable place to have a second bike! Jesus.

I rent a 5x10 storage unit, it's $50 a month and it's climate controlled. Gets the job done.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, that's nice. Self-storage around here is about $150 a month for a 5x10. :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Oh look, a Hawk GT with only 10,000 miles, bone stock and in perfect condition, sold by the original owner, asking $2150!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4431664136.html

You could leave it at my place if you need a second spot to store a bike until you get your stuff in order.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, that's nice. Self-storage around here is about $150 a month for a 5x10. :smith:

That's how much it costs me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

Year round riding weather!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

What's this? (<- more images here)

oh.

A 1960 Harley-Davidson Topper, with the seller claiming the frame #A2051 makes it numer 51 produced.

Wikipedia posted:

The Topper had a 165 cc (10.1 cu in) single-cylinder two-stroke engine mounted horizontally between the floorboards. The engine required a premixed gasoline/oil mixture. The starter was of the rope-recoil type similar to lawnmowers or the Lambretta E model. Unlike most scooters with enclosed engines, the Topper's engine did not have a cooling fan. It was expected that the low, horizontally mounted engine would be cooled by air passing under the scooter, but some Toppers developed overheating problems. The engine used a reed valve in its induction system.

The engine powered a continuously variable transmission that included a safety device that did not allow the scooter to move from rest at engine speeds higher than 1800 rpm. Final drive was by an exposed roller chain.

The Topper had 5 inch internal expanding drum brakes on both wheels. The front brake was controlled by a hand lever with a parking brake lock; the rear brake was controlled by a pedal.

The front body, front fender and floorboards of the Topper were made of stamped steel, and the engine cover and body were made of molded fiberglass.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

That is definitely a thing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Strange as it sounds, the more I learn about scooters from the 50s/60s, the more of an engineering achievement Vespas seem to be. Monocoque construction, engine/transmission/final drive/swingarm as a single unit, single sided wheel mounts, forced air cooling. Other contemporary scooters were mostly huge and heavy and complicated.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Who else is playing the "how much bike can I find for a grand" game on cl right now?

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4421031129.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Ozmiander posted:

Who else is playing the "how much bike can I find for a grand" game on cl right now?

That's a pretty well kept bike for the price it seems. My little brother keeps sending me all these pics of nicely done cafe'd out hondas and poo poo and it's seriously making me consider finding something cheap to build up.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ozmiander posted:

Lets say you go check out the bike and everything checks out okay. I wonder if you then handed the guy his asking price without haggling if he would go into shock.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Coredump posted:

Lets say you go check out the bike and everything checks out okay. I wonder if you then handed the guy his asking price without haggling if he would go into shock.

Been trying to, he won't just set a time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ozmiander posted:

That's a fun game!

chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/4423182242.html

A $900 non-running, non-titled Ninja 250. BUT! The plastics and tank look like they're in good shape. I could haul it home and have a whole new body for my ninjette, which is all "streetfightered" or whatever with a big round headlight at the moment. Plus, spare wheels and a new petcock, replacement engine parts, a backup seat that I can reupholster...oh, the possibilities!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't have a burning desire for an enduro, but someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy this right god drat now... other than being on my 6th drink ATM.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/lethbridge/1973-yamaha-360-rt-1-enduro/586343894?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

836 miles showing on speedo Just completely gone through New battery/fork seals/brakes/chain and sprockets/points and condensor. Fresh paint and decals and reupholstered seat.Good tires Clean complete Enduro Runs and drives great! Asking $1650.00 obo NO PAYPAL Terms are cash or certified cheque only!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 24, 2014

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat, a $600 running goldwing with hard cases. I was going to buy about $600 worth of luggage for my FZ6, but this seems like a better deal!

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4435246596.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

slidebite posted:

I don't have a burning desire for an enduro, but someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy this right god drat now... other than being on my 6th drink ATM.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/lethbridge/1973-yamaha-360-rt-1-enduro/586343894?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Do it, I love my DT175

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

slidebite posted:

I just spent a few minutes reading about these - Looks like it's in incredible shape - I'd get it for a fun toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Voltage posted:

drat, a $600 running goldwing with hard cases. I was going to buy about $600 worth of luggage for my FZ6, but this seems like a better deal!

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4435246596.html

Saw that, don't think I can convince him to bring it to me though, heh.