Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Wren610 posted:

Well it basically went down exactly like I figured, however Woo being awesome with ninja and sonic references made up for the predictable safe boot.

Woo is dead to me now after his wonderful little display of thievery. I hope he gets eliminated soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BGrifter posted:

I forget who posted it above but it was a spot on observation that Tony has the same love of the game Russell Hantz did. Rain or shine, no matter how miserable, I always liked that Russell loved every moment on Survivor. I ate up that whole "let it rain, it only makes me stronger as they get weaker" speech. Tony seems to be the same, genuinely enjoying every second of the experience and fighting to wring every last drop he can out of it. He's overplaying like hell, but it's a lot of fun to watch.

I love this, actually. It's like Russell Hantz, but fun to watch because he's not the worst person to ever exist. I genuinely like Tony, he's probably their best casting "hit" since Malcolm.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm sure there's a massive case of Monday morning quarterbacking going on here, plus Spencer didn't get to see the edit I did or anything, but... man. It still feels to me like Morgan was the obvious next target -- they all hated her, and going after a weak player is exactly the kind of stupid-smart decision both Tony and Kass love. I can't shake the feeling that Spencer should have known to play his idol on her.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The only way I can see this avoiding a Pagonging, would be for Spencer/Tash to get Jeremiah to somehow convince LJ and Jefra to join up with them and make Beauty have the numbers 2/3 in that new alliance. Because otherwise, it's 3/2/1 Brawn/Beauty/Brains in that tribe once they pick off the other side, giving the Brawn trio the pull to always vote out who they want. Feasibly Kass might force a 3/3 split, but after this episode where a tie could have happened too, I don't see her going to it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I'm sure there's a massive case of Monday morning quarterbacking going on here, plus Spencer didn't get to see the edit I did or anything, but... man. It still feels to me like Morgan was the obvious next target -- they all hated her, and going after a weak player is exactly the kind of stupid-smart decision both Tony and Kass love. I can't shake the feeling that Spencer should have known to play his idol on her.

He learned his lesson about Idols from the last Tribal, and why would he burn it for Morgan just to keep the 5-1-4 split for another week?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

So Spencer plays his idol on, magically, the right person (he has a 33% shot). Tony goes home, and they're still down 5-4 and still have to flip Chaos Kass, and Spencer is down an idol.

I think Spencer did the right thing - the idol buys him safety at a future vote, and the fact that the majority alliance is now up 6-3 gives them an opportunity to fracture very soon. He's pretty much hosed regardless, though, so :shrug:.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Poque posted:

I love this, actually. It's like Russell Hantz, but fun to watch because he's not the worst person to ever exist.

Yeah, this episode fully sold me on Tony (and I was basically there after the last episode, too). I'm usually turned off by idol-obsessed "mastermind" types, but he is genuinely having fun and getting along with people. His overstrategizing seems to come from a place of "this is a game where I can do insane stuff and that is enjoyable," not "these other people are so stupid and I'm so great for getting one over on them."

That's also a good sign for his inevitable returnee season - he's probably not going to play up a gimmick like Philip, or continue to completely misunderstand how other people feel about him like Russell, like I feared he might earlier in the season. He's just a strong, unique character.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

LeJackal posted:

He learned his lesson about Idols from the last Tribal, and why would he burn it for Morgan just to keep the 5-1-4 split for another week?
Because 5-1-4 is better than 6-3 :(

Also, that 5 no longer has Tony keeping them together through sheer insane force or will and might fracture.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 10, 2014

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think it was way too big a risk to assume they were targeting Morgan (consider how hard other people were pushing for Tasha), but I wonder if this season will cause anyone in future seasons to give their idol to the weakest person in their alliance. I would enjoy seeing that play out successfully AND seeing it fail completely, so I hope someone is bold enough to try it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I loved that one of the arguments for voting Morgan was "Morgan sucks." It was important enough that they had to subtitle it. The episode was basically just a huge middle finger rubbed in her face.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

LeJackal posted:

Bounce Tony and it's 4-4-1 with Kass in the middle. It was 5-4-1 this week. If Kass flipped this week it would just force a tie, but next week she could swing the vote if the idol was correctly played on Morgan.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 10, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Woo is dead to me now after his wonderful little display of thievery. I hope he gets eliminated soon.

Seriously? Spencer left the clue lying around. What was he supposed to do?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I think it was way too big a risk to assume they were targeting Morgan (consider how hard other people were pushing for Tasha), but I wonder if this season will cause anyone in future seasons to give their idol to the weakest person in their alliance. I would enjoy seeing that play out successfully AND seeing it fail completely, so I hope someone is bold enough to try it.
Let me tell you about a Survivor player named Parvati Shallow :allears:

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Why all the Morgan hate? Her self awareness was actually somewhat refreshing. She didn't seem to feel genuinely entitled, just honest about how she lives her life. Did you guys forget about Abi-Maria?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

blue squares posted:

Seriously? Spencer left the clue lying around. What was he supposed to do?

How about not rifle through people's poo poo, throw their pants in the river and then run off like the thief he was?

Hey man, you just left your wallet laying around, how can you be mad when I search through it, take your money, and then throw the wallet in a trash can?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LeJackal posted:

How about not rifle through people's poo poo, throw their pants in the river and then run off like the thief he was?

Hey man, you just left your wallet laying around, how can you be mad when I search through it, take your money, and then throw the wallet in a trash can?

yes this is the same thing. there's no other context to the situation, like, say, a competitive reality television show

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What kind of demented sociopath writes down the name of the person he likes the least every three days, puts it in an urn, and purges them from their life? Woo has seriously deranged ideas about interaction with other people.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CapnAndy posted:

Because 5-1-4 is better than 6-3 :(

Also, that 5 no longer has Tony keeping them together through sheer insane force or will and might fracture.

But in this spot 6-3 with an idol is better than 5-1-4. Spencer got burnt twice gambling on Kass already, any plans that don't involve hanging on till LJ and Tony fracture rely on her again. Spencer would be foolish to burn his idol on the chance Kass comes through.

Plus if he's trying to hang on long enough for that alliance to start coming apart he wants Tony around. Spencer needs LJ and Tony to start thinking about how they have to take the other out before the finals and build tension about who will make the first move. Plus Tony is the most likely to be abrasive and stir non-strategic drama.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Poque posted:

yes this is the same thing. there's no other context to the situation, like, say, a competitive reality television show

Might as well slit all the other contestant's throats in the night then, eh?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I like Woo, but even I think this sets a weird precedent. I wonder where the line is.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

King Burgundy posted:

I like Woo, but even I think this sets a weird precedent. I wonder where the line is.

The precedent for this was set long ago when they dug through Yau-Man's bag to discover his idol. Unattended belongings are fair game, although ownership of an idol can't transfer under those circumstances.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If only we had sleepy, sad-sack Colby sitting nearby to tell Woo to give it back.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my interpretation of the Woo/Spencer incident was that Woo was genuine in saying to Spencer he'd forgotten his pants, picked up Spencer's pants to return them, saw the clue fall out, threw the pants to Spencer (perhaps the throw was off target due to his excitement), and ran back to pick up the clue, then took off into the jungle. Spencer then returned to camp and exaggerated things by saying Woo threw his pants in the water to steal the clue.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Bounce Tony and it's 4-4-1 with Kass in the middle. It was 5-4-1 this week. If Kass flipped this week it would just force a tie, but next week she could swing the vote if the idol was correctly played on Morgan.

If Kass flipped this week she could have told them who was being voted for, Spencer could have played the Idol on them, and they'd go into next week with a 5-4 advantage.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sand Monster posted:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my interpretation of the Woo/Spencer incident was that Woo was genuine in saying to Spencer he'd forgotten his pants, picked up Spencer's pants to return them, saw the clue fall out, threw the pants to Spencer (perhaps the throw was off target due to his excitement), and ran back to pick up the clue, then took off into the jungle. Spencer then returned to camp and exaggerated things by saying Woo threw his pants in the water to steal the clue.

The pants throwing could go either way but I agree with how it started (didn't Woo even say as such?). The better question is why did Spencer leave the clue there. What if a stiff wind blew it away?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shakugan posted:

If Kass flipped this week she could have told them who was being voted for, Spencer could have played the Idol on them, and they'd go into next week with a 5-4 advantage.

But this plan calls for people to rely on Kass, who has proven herself to be unreliable. It actually calls for Spencer to rely on her three times. Once to tell the truth about who is being targeted and a second time to vote with the right group and then finally to stick with the group at the next TC.

The funniest part about the Woo incident is that the former captain of the track team can't keep up with Woo. Spencer must have been a distance runner.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

He was too focused on huffing and puffing and throwing rocks at other rocks

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Spencer's best chance is to ride it out until the majority alliance fractures. It probably won't happen next week, regardless of preview shenanigans, but it's coming soon. Once that happens, it's anyones game again.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

I think the line is "don't 'hide' a clue by just placing it on top of your pants, folding your pants over it once, and then walking away".

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sure, in hindsight, we have already had incidents like someone stealing and ruining someone's shoes, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I just thought game related things, like the idol and idol clue were off limits. So to take it further, can someone pickpocket an idol clue off someone now? Is that allowed? Obviously physical violence like a mugging would be right out. ;)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sand Monster posted:

Yeah but why would Woo care that Spencer left them? I think Woo was planning to use that as a pretense to get into Spencer's pants, hoping to grab an idol or clue and it just ended up being even easier than he expected.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

King Burgundy posted:

Sure, in hindsight, we have already had incidents like someone stealing and ruining someone's shoes, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I just thought game related things, like the idol and idol clue were off limits. So to take it further, can someone pickpocket an idol clue off someone now? Is that allowed? Obviously physical violence like a mugging would be right out. ;)
That's probably allowed. Nothing is protected... except idol "ownership." My question though is that if someone doesn't have the idol on their person, or in their bag, but rather has it hidden out in the woods, is it still theirs if someone finds it?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fast Luck posted:

That's probably allowed. Nothing is protected... except idol "ownership." My question though is that if someone doesn't have the idol on their person, or in their bag, but rather has it hidden out in the woods, is it still theirs if someone finds it?

no

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva

King Burgundy posted:

I think stealing the idol is off limits, but the clue is fair game. Remember the fight between Amanda and I think Danielle (with Colby literally in between them trying to watch a movie) over a clue during HvV?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Schmitty42 posted:

I think stealing the idol is off limits, but the clue is fair game. Remember the fight between Amanda and I think Danielle (with Colby literally in between them trying to watch a movie) over a clue during HvV?

Sure, but that felt more like it hadn't been firmly established as anyone's yet. Or maybe my memory is just cloudy on that.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva

King Burgundy posted:

Sure, but that felt more like it hadn't been firmly established as anyone's yet. Or maybe my memory is just cloudy on that.
My memory is cloudy also, but the way I remember it, one of them found the clue in a basket by the side of the bed, tried to be sneaky about it, then the other one tried to physically take it from her.

I feel like Spencer was dumb for leaving the clue laying around, but I don't see why Woo had to run it back and blab about it to everyone. Seems like it would have served Woo better to be cool about it and team up with Spencer to find the idol and keep it a secret between the two of them.

Side note, every time Spencer flails his arms around or has his hands on his hips, I am reminded of Leonardo DiCaprio in Gilbert Grape and it makes me chuckle.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah but why would Woo care that Spencer left them? I think Woo was planning to use that as a pretense to get into Spencer's pants, hoping to grab an idol or clue and it just ended up being even easier than he expected.

If I was in Woo's position, I would assume that the clue - that he didn't even know if Spencer had - was on his person, rather than in a pants pocket, because who the gently caress takes off their pants and then leaves them lying there with the clue? Spencer made no effort to try and get back to them, instead started off in the other direction, so he was making no effort to protect the clue. I think Spencer was genuinely surprised by Woo coming up on him and temporarily forgot about the clue and pants. The clip showed the clue falling to the ground, anyway, it's not like Woo dug through the pockets. And pants aren't exactly the best air travelers.

The whole scene makes me think people leave their pants all over the jungle while out on walks/poop trips/whatever. Just pants everywhere.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
How could you possibly think that Woo was wrong to take the clue? "Spencer EARNED that clue by sitting at a table and using a napkin!!"

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah I'm not certain what Woo's logic was, though my best guess is he wanted to keep the idol from Spencer and the best way to do that was have all his allies help.

My opinion of Spencer was all over the place that episode. He found the clue he hid it well, but not so much when he went to look for the idol. He could have at least put the clue in the pocket of the pants. The 'estrogen' comment was pretty unnecessary, but in his position I probably would have said something dumb in frustration too. Maybe we're both dumb. He apologized for his outburst so that's more than most people do. Maybe he only did it because it was in his best interest but I'm sure I'd feel the need to genuinely apologize so it could be either. Not ready to write him off for it entirely, but it lowered my opinion of him a bit.

That said, props to him on both finding the idol and hiding it while practically being watched, as well as the immunity win. That challenge looked painful and I'm sure it was much worse than it looked.

Still not sure what Kass's game is. Maybe she doesn't have one. Can't say it bothers me because it's been entertaining. I don't think I'd lower her to 'Chet' levels of bad because at least she's playing but I think she's imagining some other show entirely.

I hope the preview isn't misdirection cause I'd love to see what craziness results from what they suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Kass is just straight up going for chaos. I think her logic is that they won't bother voting her out if she's just this crazy floater because they'll be more interested in breaking down alliances and taking out serious threats. She just thinks she can weasel her way to the end. Then when she gets in front of the jury she tries to lawyer them saying she caused this and that and that's why she deserves to win. I don't think its a good plan, but that's what I think it is.

I think Woo made the right move telling his allies about the clue. Given the bizarre way he came about the clue trying to play secret on it just sets him up for Spencer to throw shade on him and undermine his game. And if he let Spencer get away with it then he has to assume Spencer has the idol and has to tell his tribe about it. And once Spencer saw him you have to assume Spencer might play the idol on someone else like Tony/LJ to throw him off. This just seemed like the best way to handle the weird situation.

And I think its hilarious that someone thinks he was out of line. If Woo had actually gone into Spencer's bag or clothes I'd say he was out of line, even though we've seen that before. But Spencer literally left the clue sitting out on top of his pants which he left in the middle of the woods and started walking away from. I don't know if Woo was just trying to be helpful or was hoping he'd feel an idol or something, or if he intentionally threw the pants in water or just made a bad toss. But the clue literally just fell to the ground. That's all on Spencer for not sticking it in his drat pocket. Or remembering his pants.

And I still want to know exactly what Spencer was planning to do if he caught Woo.

I'm not going to obsess over the "estrogen" comment because its already established I "hate" Spencer, but the only reason it bugs me is its like the third time he's said something that sounded kind of misogynistic. Its each one of those small isolated comments that has slowly been pushing me away from him as they add up.

But luckily for him Morgan outshone him in being an unlikable person in every way. Good riddance. I'm glad she's aware her beauty has to get her through life because her personality surely won't.

Team Woo all the way.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 10, 2014

• Locked thread