Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The coast line is all wrong! California should have fallen into the sea by now! The great quake took it all!

And created a nice religion around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
You could call your Rust (or whatever name you pick) religion's holy order "The Order of the Blue Collar" or something like that

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Riso posted:

You can get your Sengoku 2.12 on for Rajas of India.

For some reason it crashes while loading, when it gets to Calculating Naval Ranges. I don't own Sons of Abraham or Rajas yet, but the notes say Patch 2.1.2, and the Sengoku version is 2.12 (although on the mod selection screen it's showing as Sengoku 2.04).

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 10, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

JGBeagle posted:

If anything, the little sliver of Vegas would probably be a county or something. But I think the majority of the West Coast should be wasteland; much of it (Nevada especially) isn't inhabited today. Of course I'm not saying California is a wasteland. Hell if anything that should be an Empire all of it's own. Have the counties form six kingdoms (to represent the whole Six Californias movement going on for some reason) that form into the Empire of California.

Being a West Coaster I have a lot of ideas for it. :v:

My idea was roughly to split the state into two kingdoms, and have an "Empire of the West" encompassing the whole West Coast. As it is, I'm not sure if the size of the area on the map would really justify having six Kingdoms, unless they're going to be tiny 3-county kingdoms like Navarra, or there's going to be much smaller and denser provinces than the East coast.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

My idea was roughly to split the state into two kingdoms, and have an "Empire of the West" encompassing the whole West Coast. As it is, I'm not sure if the size of the area on the map would really justify having six Kingdoms, unless they're going to be tiny 3-county kingdoms like Navarra, or there's going to be much smaller and denser provinces than the East coast.
Smaller de jure duchies and kingdoms tend to make for potentially more volatile situations, from what I've seen, especially as long as gavelkind is involved. Should California be a pit of violence and landgrabbing, or a region of peace and stability in an otherwise chaotic continent?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Does the new patch do anything about pagans usurping Christian titles? I'd like to start a new Viking game but I'm really not interested in taking each individual plot of Scotland by hand.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

Smaller de jure duchies and kingdoms tend to make for potentially more volatile situations, from what I've seen, especially as long as gavelkind is involved. Should California be a pit of violence and landgrabbing, or a region of peace and stability in an otherwise chaotic continent?

The Northern part hates the Southern part so I doubt they'd stay friends. See our ongoing water problem.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Serperoth posted:

For some reason it crashes while loading, when it gets to Calculating Naval Ranges. I don't own Sons of Abraham or Rajas yet, but the notes say Patch 2.1.2, and the Sengoku version is 2.12 (although on the mod selection screen it's showing as Sengoku 2.04).

Seems I forgot to update the file with the new number. Anyway my only DLC is Legacy of Rome.
So I don't know what's up.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
It looks like the Workshop still doesn't work.
Is there any way to get the mods running besides getting them from the paradox forum?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Riso posted:

Seems I forgot to update the file with the new number. Anyway my only DLC is Legacy of Rome.
So I don't know what's up.

Huh, thanks anyway. I'll check the files for any case sensitivity issues, although I'm on Windows so I don't know if that's it.

Would the error file help any? I gave it a look, but I'm incredibly unfamiliar with CK2 modding.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jinnigan posted:

Does the new patch do anything about pagans usurping Christian titles? I'd like to start a new Viking game but I'm really not interested in taking each individual plot of Scotland by hand.

Can't you just prepared invasion/subjugate/holy war it?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Riso posted:

You can get your Sengoku 2.12 on for Rajas of India.

How hard would it be to add the Sengoku game assets to the mod if you own both?

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Caik posted:

It looks like the Workshop still doesn't work.
Is there any way to get the mods running besides getting them from the paradox forum?

If it's hosted on a mirror, yeah. What's the problem with the forum?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've tried 4 times now as a Jewish character, 3 times as converted Jew in a republic and just now as an Ethiopian Jew, and the Israel achievement won't give me credit. What gives?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Arghh.

Still playing as Socotra and the ruler of Abyssinia has implemented Elective so all his vassals are happy and no-one will vote for me/join my factions as I'm wrong culture and ruligion.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Autism posted:

If it's hosted on a mirror, yeah. What's the problem with the forum?

For a while some people were having issues with forum registration recognizing that people in fact own the games (I was one of them), and frankly - the Paradox forums are pretty toxic.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Would you guys be interested in more point-by-point breakdowns of things like I did for combat? Because it seems like every Steam sale we get some completely new players coming in asking about stuff, and the game itself isn't documented very well in terms of the real gameplay flow. We've got the tutorial thread, but that's more LP stuff, I'm talking about more of an old-school Prima strategy guide kinda deal.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Koramei posted:

How hard would it be to add the Sengoku game assets to the mod if you own both?

But the mod is already made of Sengoku (demo) game assets?
What are you looking for?

If the answer is music you're outta luck, CK2 uses ogg not mp3.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I looked at the mod page and they use Mongol portraits and the CK2 UI, is there some other page I'm missing?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

#327 on List of Things I Had to Learn the Hard Way:

Taking a -50 opinion hit from the tyranny of imprisoning and executing an adventurer threat, then realizing that he was of your dynasty so you're a kinslayer, and also all of your top-level vassals are of your dynasty, really really sucks, but it's still better than the alternative of facing a doomstack 3x the size of anything I can field.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DStecks posted:

Taking a -50 opinion hit from the tyranny of imprisoning and executing an adventurer threat, then realizing that he was of your dynasty so you're a kinslayer, and also all of your top-level vassals are of your dynasty, really really sucks, but it's still better than the alternative of facing a doomstack 3x the size of anything I can field.

Yet another example of a problem more appropriately solved by stabbing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Soooo is there anything you can do about the Holy Roman Empire getting positively massive and just eating everything? I have an Ireland game I don't want to just abandon but I'm having some issues with them and the Aztec invasion that just got dumped on my border. The HRE spans from Spain to Hungary right now. It controls all of Italy (including the Pope, even though the Emporer is Lollard and the Pope is Catholic) and a few slivers of Africa goo. The Emperor, even though we were total bros for a hundred years, declares war on me and takes a duchy every time the truce runs out. I just can't muster enough allies and literally nobody comes even close to how powerful the Kaiser is. Byzantium and the one Muslim empire might have been able to deal with him if they weren't incessantly falling apart and reforming due to rebellions.

Is this just a case of "hold out as long as possible for whatever points you can get?" It's been fun to be sure, I'm just running into some issues.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Soooo is there anything you can do about the Holy Roman Empire getting positively massive and just eating everything? I have an Ireland game I don't want to just abandon but I'm having some issues with them and the Aztec invasion that just got dumped on my border. The HRE spans from Spain to Hungary right now. It controls all of Italy (including the Pope, even though the Emporer is Lollard and the Pope is Catholic) and a few slivers of Africa goo. The Emperor, even though we were total bros for a hundred years, declares war on me and takes a duchy every time the truce runs out. I just can't muster enough allies and literally nobody comes even close to how powerful the Kaiser is. Byzantium and the one Muslim empire might have been able to deal with him if they weren't incessantly falling apart and reforming due to rebellions.

Is this just a case of "hold out as long as possible for whatever points you can get?" It's been fun to be sure, I'm just running into some issues.

Cantorsdust posted:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

For a while some people were having issues with forum registration recognizing that people in fact own the games (I was one of them), and frankly - the Paradox forums are pretty toxic.

I remember the other day there was a thread where someone suggested female characters should be able to take the ambition to get married and it became the MRA hangout thread in less than 5 posts.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

Not sure if this is still viable, but if you can give the adventurer some land (generally you can if he's part of your dynasty, since he should be in your court, or the court of a vassal) you could just revoke a mayor title or a barony title that is already your vassal, and give it to him. Take less of a relations hit that way.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

I didn't have enough money or intrigue, nor the time to acquire either.

Tsyni posted:

Not sure if this is still viable, but if you can give the adventurer some land (generally you can if he's part of your dynasty, since he should be in your court, or the court of a vassal) you could just revoke a mayor title or a barony title that is already your vassal, and give it to him. Take less of a relations hit that way.

I actually have a spare barony I was considering giving him, but I decided it just wasn't worth it, since I'd spent 700 gold to build the drat thing. The idea of revoking a random city didn't occur to me, since yeah, it would have definitely incurred less tyranny and also not kinslayer. Thankfully, buying an indulgence still erases kinslayer about half the time, which is seriously overpowered and turns kinslayer from a massive impediment into a joke, unless you can't scrounge the money together in time.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Shank him using the plot. If you're old feel free to use your spymaster and take a risk unless it's like 5% chance 50% chance of being caught. Undoubtly there are a lot of people who hate him. Keep killing Emperors and the constant successions will begin to start fracturing the empire. The short reign penalty will cause havoc and with any luck the AI wont have been attentive to making sure every vassal is the same culture so perhaps some independence factions will form and fire off.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ugh, de jure empires everywhere are a pet-peeve of mine and it seems like only CK2+ got rid of them. Well, it used to. Not sure now, haven't played in a while but just put on HiP and found them plastered all over.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thanks to having seniority inheritance forced on me early in the game my Irish-Italo dynasty is crumbling due to one sick old king after another taking the throne. Vassals keep creating "Replace King of Italy with____" factions and there isn't enough stabbing to stop them all. I think it's time to cast off Italy and hope for a nice quiet reign after which I can switch to an inheritance method that doesn't guarantee Rule of the Ancients.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

YouTuber posted:

Shank him using the plot. If you're old feel free to use your spymaster and take a risk unless it's like 5% chance 50% chance of being caught. Undoubtly there are a lot of people who hate him. Keep killing Emperors and the constant successions will begin to start fracturing the empire. The short reign penalty will cause havoc and with any luck the AI wont have been attentive to making sure every vassal is the same culture so perhaps some independence factions will form and fire off.

Just keep in mind that every time the HRE gets a new ruler, the truce timer finishes, so he could technically war you right away. If you can stab him enough so there is a child on the throne then I'd go for that, since it should hopefully split things up on him more than a random adult taking the throne.

Also, if you can pick off some land in the HRE during a revolt, you can make it your primary title, then join the HRE and expand from within.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 10, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Also somebody at Paradox answered my prayers; religious traits now appear to only influence opinion of people with the same religion.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
How do you get to do an invasion as a Pagan? I can't seem to work out the criteria.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Antinumeric posted:

How do you get to do an invasion as a Pagan? I can't seem to work out the criteria.

Can you be more specific? Do you mean *prepared invasions or what?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Geokinesis posted:

I'm trying!

I've just got a castle shipyard so I have a whole 9 galleys, unfortunately Abyssinia is gobbling up the land to my east. I'm tempted to swear fealty and work my way up from the inside.

My tactic was to swear fealty immediately, just so I'm less likely to be declared on by the Muslims; then save up Military tech points for shipyards, gold for the purchase of said shipyards, and piety for the holy order. Once you have 10 boats, you can hire the holy order and take the southermost duchy of Arabia.

With a bit of luck, you can keep expanding into Arabia with the holy order, while the King of Abyssinia builds up his Kingdom there, such that combined you become powerful enough to be able to repel the Abbassid Caliph, when he inevitably becomes your neighbour.

I eventually gave up on my Scotora game, and instead played around as the Indians. By the time I had conquered the empire of Persia, the Kingdom of Mesopotamia and the Kingdom of Arabia, I was surprised to see that Scotora was still Nestorian, so I moved my capital and converted.

A difficult reign ensued, since the technology in Scotora was awful, though I managed to convert all my vassals easily enough, since I had built up a war-chest to bribe them with.

I was getting bored, but then the next generation had my Patriarch convert to Messalian, so I thought I'd give that a go.
The conversion is still ongoing, and I miss free excommunication, since it makes imprisoning difficult dukes so easy; but my ultimate goal is to worm my way into the successions of the Holy Roman and Byzantine Empires, so I can re-form the Roman Empire and stack all the opinion bonuses from Noble customs (currently +14), Born in the Purple (+5 I think), Augustus (+15) and Divine marriage (+10); since I'd quite like, for once, to have a ruler who was universally loved.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

loving around as a Jewish merchant republic of Ireland, how do I get more mercenaries? Only two are available to me.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

StashAugustine posted:

loving around as a Jewish merchant republic of Ireland, how do I get more mercenaries? Only two are available to me.

Pick a better religion. Not even joking.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

CommonTerry posted:

Can you be more specific? Do you mean *prepared invasions or what?

Yeah prepared invasions. I can seem to do one as the count in Brittany 867 every time, but not always as other rulers.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DStecks posted:

What I don't understand is this guy made it public knowledge that he wants you dead and to take your land but you are seen as the bad guy. Ah crusader kings how you never cease to amaze me with your logic.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Adventurers doesn't want to kill you, they just want your land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Antinumeric posted:

Yeah prepared invasions. I can seem to do one as the count in Brittany 867 every time, but not always as other rulers.

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Casus_Belli#Prepared_Invasion

• Locked thread