Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

The reason you're playing the 5 color deck (at least in my opinion) is to be able to play both Sphinx's rev and Rakdos's return. If you're playing creatures like Polukranos or SB Dragon you don't need Chromanticore anyway. The issue is that it just NEVER sticks unless you can bestow it on something which is slow as hell and even then it dies pretty easily to just about anything other than Doom Blade.

The thing about Chromanticore sticking if you bestow it is that even then it actually gets removed by stuff like Golgari Charm or Revoke Existence, which isn't even being brought in to deal with it but is really efficient removal for it. Turning potentially dead sideboard cards into a 2 mana kill spell for your wincon is really bad.

I thought it was a cool idea but it dying to enchantment removal that decks will side in to deal with Detention Sphere is a terrible unintended consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tharizdun posted:

Fever dreams.
Pretty much this. If the video is indicative of anything, I guess, then that everything around him keeps dying.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rabidsquid posted:

The thing about Chromanticore sticking if you bestow it is that even then it actually gets removed by stuff like Golgari Charm or Revoke Existence, which isn't even being brought in to deal with it but is really efficient removal for it. Turning potentially dead sideboard cards into a 2 mana kill spell for your wincon is really bad.

I thought it was a cool idea but it dying to enchantment removal that decks will side in to deal with Detention Sphere is a terrible unintended consequence.

Yeah plus it dies to revoke even if it's not bestowed. It's bad.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

Wait, on what are people basing speculation about a new Garruk?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's not standard playable, since that seems to be the thread consensus on everything.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cactrot posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's not standard playable, since that seems to be the thread consensus on everything.

The card that hasn't been announced isn't standard playable, ok. Yeah this thread is full of people who hate on cards that aren't obviously game breaking but there's no reason to be this passive-aggressive about it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tharizdun posted:

Fever dreams and slash-fic
I heard a rumor from my rear end that Huey is going to be a whole block based on 4-color legendary ducks. Let me post a poorly templated hypothetical design I just made up so that we can argue for 10 pages about whether it would be overpowered and how it breaks the color pie.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
In fairness I think Mark Rosewater has mentioned on his tumblr he thinks it was a mistake that M14 Garruk was pure green, as that lead to the impression that he was cured of the Veil nonsense. The unwritten implication there is that at some point Garruk will receive a new card that reflects where he's supposed to be at in the lore.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

I heard a rumor from my rear end that Huey is going to be a whole block based on 4-color legendary ducks. Let me post a poorly templated hypothetical design I just made up so that we can argue for 10 pages about whether it would be overpowered and how it breaks the color pie.

It's pretty obvious that Huey block is based off of William Huey Jensen. Dewy is likely EFro, although it's a mystery who Dewy is.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Symphonie posted:

In fairness I think Mark Rosewater has mentioned on his tumblr he thinks it was a mistake that M14 Garruk was pure green, as that lead to the impression that he was cured of the Veil nonsense. The unwritten implication there is that at some point Garruk will receive a new card that reflects where he's supposed to be at in the lore.

Was his flip card in Innistrad meant to represent, like, the exact moment the curse took hold?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mortimer posted:

The card that hasn't been announced isn't standard playable, ok. Yeah this thread is full of people who hate on cards that aren't obviously game breaking but there's no reason to be this passive-aggressive about it.

It's hard not to get tired of people just drive-by posting "new card bad", especially since it's the safest prediction in general, considering that most cards they print never see competitive play.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Spoil Pharika already goddam it.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

Man, I love looking through the old sets.
Just found one of my old favorite Ice Age cards:

The artist didn't know what a lemure was and so he drew a lemur. I guess there's something to be said for a tighter art direction process. :v:

The best part about this card is that the painter got "Hyalopterous" right.

From https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/arcana/340

quote:

"Hyalopterous" is a fancy word meaning "having glassy or transparent wings."

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Vomax posted:

Was his flip card in Innistrad meant to represent, like, the exact moment the curse took hold?

When Garruk and Liliana finally meet he's fully Veil-Cursed, yes. Avacyn's Cursemute brings him back to his senses.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oryx posted:

No, the best part about that card is the follow-up from the fan service set.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mortimer posted:

The card that hasn't been announced isn't standard playable, ok.

That's pretty incontrovertibly true, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

The reason you're playing the 5 color deck (at least in my opinion) is to be able to play both Sphinx's rev and Rakdos's return. If you're playing creatures like Polukranos or SB Dragon you don't need Chromanticore anyway. The issue is that it just NEVER sticks unless you can bestow it on something which is slow as hell and even then it dies pretty easily to just about anything other than Doom Blade.

The reason you play a 5 color deck is to live the impossible dream of bestowing a Chromanticore on a Chromanticore.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

oryx posted:

From https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/arcana/340

IIRC those wings were added by a WotC in-house artist after the art was submitted with a deadline looming too near to redo the whole piece.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Balon posted:

Spoil Pharika already goddam it.
:f5: Brian Kibler's website for his exclusive on Pharika.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Angry Grimace posted:

The reason you play a 5 color deck is to live the impossible dream of bestowing a Chromanticore on a Chromanticore.

Do it now before you live the dream, and are immediately blown out by Silence the Believers and have to commit ritual suicide

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Korak posted:

:f5: Brian Kibler's website for his exclusive on Pharika.

Who do I F5 for Athreos because I wanna build his EDH deck already.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Who do I F5 for Athreos because I wanna build his EDH deck already.

2WB

Extort
Extort
Extort
Extort

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Angry Grimace posted:

For some reason Kookus is on the Reserved List.

I believe that at the time, any rare in an expansion that wasn't immediately reprinted in the next core set became reserved.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So when is anybody going to do a UR variant of Standard Dredge involving Spite of Mogis and Spellheart Chimera and using poo poo like Steam Augury and Izzet Charms to pitch spells into the graveyard?

It's me, I'll be doing it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

So when is anybody going to do a UR variant of Standard Dredge involving Spite of Mogis and Spellheart Chimera and using poo poo like Steam Augury and Izzet Charms to pitch spells into the graveyard?

Spite can't target players, I believe.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

I will also be doing this since it sounds so fun.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I've already been doing that. Spite looks lovely, though I'm not sure how I'm going to be moving my deck around to get it in.

I wonder if I can fit the blue red god in as a one of.

edit: Actually, Magma Jet, you're out. That doesn't do dick to move me beyond the initial few turns.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 11, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

Spite can't target players, I believe.

It doesn't but when you're blowing a 10/10 polukranos into the graveyard with R, you'll be feeling good.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I am also working on a version of said deck.

I actually feel like including some Young Pyromancers and Dragon Mantles could complement Spellheart pretty well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ThirdEmperor posted:

I am also working on a version of said deck.

I actually feel like including some Young Pyromancers and Dragon Mantles could complement Spellheart pretty well.

While the Mantle is helpful for drawing more cards, I find that the Young Pyromancer is better just sitting there and using his buddies as chump fodder.

In general, I try to keep only one nontoken creature on the field at a time too. Forcing the other person to use wraths and what not to retain card advantage is fantastic. People really are scared of Guttersnipe.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This is the version that LightReaper and I have been messing with in the Brewhaus thread: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/izzet-good-16-03-14-2/

I'm planning on putting in 4 Temple of Epiphany, 2 Keranos, and some number of Skred Spite, although I guess that'll be in testing because it's a good power level but it's also a Sorcery rather than an Instant.

The linked list is out of date, I think even as the format is now the deck needs Negate maindeck to protect your Spellhearts. Quicken is coming out, I'm also not really happy with Guttersnipe but I don't really have any idea of what goes in that slot.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I would like to see goblin electromancer get some love. Wonder if he can fit in there somewhere.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Boco_T posted:

This is the version that LightReaper and I have been messing with in the Brewhaus thread: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/izzet-good-16-03-14-2/

I'm planning on putting in 4 Temple of Epiphany, 2 Keranos, and some number of Skred Spite, although I guess that'll be in testing because it's a good power level but it's also a Sorcery rather than an Instant.

The linked list is out of date, I think even as the format is now the deck needs Negate maindeck to protect your Spellhearts. Quicken is coming out, I'm also not really happy with Guttersnipe but I don't really have any idea of what goes in that slot.

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Guttersnipe? I get fantastic results with how he's a magnet for removal or just eats through life really fast.

If anything, one of the first changes I would make is dropping the number of Chimeras down to two, since having one early game is rather deadweight.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Count Bleck posted:

Why are you dredging? Just play burn, but with blue splashed for Spellheart and maybe some counters. You've got Pyrostatic_Pillar.bear, don't not be playing burn.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ramos posted:

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Guttersnipe? I get fantastic results with how he's a magnet for removal or just eats through life really fast.

If anything, one of the first changes I would make is dropping the number of Chimeras down to two, since having one early game is rather deadweight.
Probably just a small sample size against removal-heavy decks but I never really get any damage out of it.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I better see Athreos here in 60 seconds..

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Probably just a small sample size against removal-heavy decks but I never really get any damage out of it.

That's a good thing. Any removal going to it and not Chimera is A GOOD THING.

Keep in mind, the only creature you aren't pitching out there to die is the Chimera. Everything else is a distraction.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Duels 2015 will feature proper collection-based Deck Building

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Now that's a land.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Turn my entire board into Brimaz? Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They forgot to tell Maro he had a social media preview again:

Whooooooops

• Locked thread