Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not going to obsess over the "estrogen" comment because its already established I "hate" Spencer, but the only reason it bugs me is its like the third time he's said something that sounded kind of misogynistic. Its each one of those small isolated comments that has slowly been pushing me away from him as they add up.

I think you're making too much out of nothing, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

LeJackal posted:

I think you're making too much out of nothing, personally.

I disagree. It wouldn't even occur to me to make a comment like that. It doesn't make him a terrible no good person, but it is an indicator of a personality trait when someone says something like that during a confessional, staring straight into a camera on a television show watched by millions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not even making much of a thing about it. Its a weird comment that I'd never say but isolated is just that. Its just that there's been a few of them which seems like a pattern which suggests a personality flaw. Not enough for me to hate him or call him a misogynist but enough to make him sketch me out.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not even making much of a thing about it. Its a weird comment that I'd never say but isolated is just that. Its just that there's been a few of them which seems like a pattern which suggests a personality flaw. Not enough for me to hate him or call him a misogynist but enough to make him sketch me out.
It reminds me that he is 21 and has room for some self-improvement in this department. I doubt a 24-year-old Spencer makes these kinds of comments. At least, I would hope not.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I think most people would come off as sorta lovely on survivor.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It seems like someone saying "all that estrogen is making that lady act crazy!" is pretty fair grounds for criticism, regardless of the person's age or the fact that they are constantly being filmed. It's not every-single-Big-Brother-contestant-ever levels of shittiness, or even Jeff Probst levels of sexism, but I went from thinking Spencer was pretty decent to the point that he's probably my least favorite person remaining after the last episode.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

xbilkis posted:

It seems like someone saying "all that estrogen is making that lady act crazy!" is pretty fair grounds for criticism,

If only Spencer had actually said that! Too bad he didn't. Did you shut down the rest of the conversation after you experienced this hallucination? It was part of an entire spiel about Kass was 'going with her gut' and making decisions without thought to the consequences. Not saying that Kass made a lovely decision because she was a woman.

Would you be so outraged if Spencer had said somebody was 'thinking with their testosterone'?

xbilkis posted:

It's not every-single-Big-Brother-contestant-ever levels of shittiness, or even Jeff Probst levels of sexism, but I went from thinking Spencer was pretty decent to the point that he's probably my least favorite person remaining after the last episode.

In the midst of lying, backstabbing, cheating, thieving, social manipulation, fighting and unapologetic out-right bullying to the point of mental breakdown the guy who says somebody was making decisions with their guts/hormones/feelings is the shittiest person? You've got pretty hosed up morals. Go back to Tumblr.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 10, 2014

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
You are allowed to continue to like Spencer or not personally mind that particular comment, but I don't think it's unfair or out of context to criticize it as a stupid thing to say. In general - and even discounting that one offhanded remark - Spencer's post-Tribal Council reaction (and to a lesser extent, his reaction right after Woo took the idol clue) seemed like a melting of a facade he'd been keeping up the whole game, and I found it to be annoying!

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I would have not been as composed, I think, as Spencer. I mean Kass absolutely thinks she is a power player and talks about her gut like she's some sort of Survivor mastermind.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Yea, I think blaming testosterone or estrogen is pretty demeaning in all cases. People are more complex than that, even Kass. The comment was terrible and he apologized for it, because he knew how dumb and off-base it was. There are plenty of logical/fair criticisms of Kass that it was definitely enough for me to reevaluate how much I want Spencer to win (he was a favorite with Woo and Tasha) since personality is a factor, as a viewer. His strategy hasn't been overly impressive and now he seems like kind of a jerk as well. And he totally misplayed the clue situation, luckily he recovered decently! I'm no longer actively rooting for him, but am not at the point of rooting against.

Hoping for a Woo flip, maybe he'll team up with Tasha and Jeremiah. I think Tony and LJ plan on being in the FTC with Jeffra at this point. Woo needs to make a move and maybe there isn't a misdirect in the preview...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
In her exit interview (yeah I listened, it's only 20 minutes), Morgan said that Tony was entertaining but also made misogynistic comments around camp. So everyone hating on Spencer for mentioning a female hormone is going to have to hate Tony too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Spencer gets the best texts from Tony.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
See, now if Spencer wrote things like that, I would be able to forgive some casual misogyny

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Binary Logic posted:

In her exit interview (yeah I listened, it's only 20 minutes), Morgan said that Tony was entertaining but also made misogynistic comments around camp. So everyone hating on Spencer for mentioning a female hormone is going to have to hate Tony too.

Thankfully I already dislike Tony. And acknowledging a hormone is one thing, blaming the hormone is a whole other level. Even Spencer distanced himself from the comment...

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
So, just to clarify, it's horribly offensive for me to accuse one guy of letting his dick do the thinking? 21 year-olds make dumb comments all the time it doesn't make them horrible people.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Juanito posted:

I would have not been as composed, I think, as Spencer. I mean Kass absolutely thinks she is a power player and talks about her gut like she's some sort of Survivor mastermind.

Yeah, he's pretty much had to deal with Kass from the beginning and I don't think his outbursts towards her were all that bad considering she was willing to accept his apology like it was sincere later in the episode. He did act stupid and goony in reaction to Woo's antics, but that was more just him and the camera and not him getting all confrontational with Woo like an rear end in a top hat.

I'm surprised that Tasha hasn't verbally roasted Kass yet, I would've liked to see what she thought of Kass's move in a confessional at least.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Binary Logic posted:

Well, she said that he kind of insulted her when she went to look for the idol, telling her she wouldn't be capable of helping, and she got kind of a misogynistic read from that.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

So, just to clarify, it's horribly offensive for me to accuse one guy of letting his dick do the thinking? 21 year-olds make dumb comments all the time it doesn't make them horrible people.
Spencer is an econ student at U Chicago, right? Just saying.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Where am I calling Spencer a horrible person? The comment just took him down from where I'd (and others) had him, a favorite, since that's part of the show. Liking people based on what they say and do, that's really all the audience can base their perceptions on, and it's totally ok to hold a comment like that against him. It's also ok to recognize the circumstances, which is why I'm not completely against him. He also put his foot in his mouth when he called out Kass at council, he would possibly be in a better position if he had held his tongue and could maybe work with her going forward (he'll likely need to).

As for the dick thing, men and women can both act out of sexual desire. He wasn't saying Kass was trying to have sex with anyone so your comparison isn't apt at all. Jackal was right about testosterone being comparable, except, it's possible to dislike all these comments. Blaming estrogen essentially ignores what is wrong with Kass (her ego) and puts it on her gender. It's crude and stupid and Spencer probably actually was speaking from frustration. Sorry for the derail!

Tasha has shown immense composure, like that time with Sarah and Kass, which is why she's now ostensibly my favorite. I also use to think Jeremiah was a moron but have grown to like him.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Spencer is an econ student at U Chicago, right? Just saying.

hahaha good point. I just don't think the comment was a big deal one way or the other.

Milovan Drecun posted:

Where am I calling Spencer a horrible person? The comment just took him down from where I'd (and others) had him, a favorite, since that's part of the show. Liking people based on what they say and do, that's really all the audience can base their perceptions on, and it's totally ok to hold a comment like that against him.

That makes perfect sense. I guess I'm just not one to hold it against people for occasionally putting their foot in their mouth.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mercaptopropyl posted:

That makes perfect sense. I guess I'm just not one to hold it against people for occasionally putting their foot in their mouth.
Sure, we all screw up. Freud would say it is the subconscious leaking out, others would say it doesn't mean anything.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Person says lovely thing while starving, angry and stressed out, news at 11.

Or perhaps it was the key to understanding Spencer is secretly a Men's Rights Activist and also the shooter from the Montreal Massacre.

:iiam:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You guys are all pussies holy poo poo.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You guys are all pussies holy poo poo.

it's 2014 you can't say that anymore

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
It was a pleasant era in the Survivor thread. A new season had turned and brushed away the sadness and weariness of Nicaragua and returning players. A lasting peace had overcome the land. The drums began to beat in the distance. Quickly turning their heads to the mountains, the goons could see the army scrambling down the face towards them. Like every Something Awful thread, the time had come. The drums beat louder.

It was time.

The drums came louder.

It was too late.

GENDER GENDERGENDER GENDER GENDER GENDER GENDER GENDER GENDER

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Yeah this thread got really dumb really fast.

Aras said on RHAP yesterday that anytime someone says they are "going for a walk" it is code for going for an interview and "going for a walk to coconut grove" is taking a deuce. This was in relation to Spencer telling Woo that he was just going for a walk, which I thought was a really weak excuse at the time but now makes sense. Apparently this is relatively new terminology because Rob wasn't aware of it. Thought that was pretty interesting and will definitely be listening for people saying that in the future.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

freehotel posted:

It was a pleasant era in the Survivor thread. A new season had turned and brushed away the sadness and weariness of Nicaragua and returning players. A lasting peace had overcome the land. The drums began to beat in the distance. Quickly turning their heads to the mountains, the goons could see the army scrambling down the face towards them. Like every Something Awful thread, the time had come. The drums beat louder.

It was time.

The drums came louder.

It was too late.

GENDER GENDERGENDER GENDER GENDER GENDER GENDER GENDER GENDER

The instant I heard him say it I thought 'it's about to get ugly in the thread'.

Bahumaut
Apr 6, 2009
What I really wish would have happened during the Tribal was he tried to use the idol, and call out Kass for the play. This way Kass wouldn't have anywhere to go but back to her previous alliance if she wanted to move forward. The 5 man alliance wouldn't trust her because Spencer got the idol right in front of her and how would she defend herself from an accusation like that?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Unmerciful posted:

Yeah this thread got really dumb really fast.

Aras said on RHAP yesterday that anytime someone says they are "going for a walk" it is code for going for an interview and "going for a walk to coconut grove" is taking a deuce. This was in relation to Spencer telling Woo that he was just going for a walk, which I thought was a really weak excuse at the time but now makes sense. Apparently this is relatively new terminology because Rob wasn't aware of it. Thought that was pretty interesting and will definitely be listening for people saying that in the future.
"going for a jog to coconut grove" means you have diarrhea

"going for a run to coco-" means you have dysentery.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fooz posted:

The instant I heard him say it I thought 'it's about to get ugly in the thread'.
I don't think this thread really went off the rails just because a few people said "I like Spencer less now because he made a dumb comment"

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

My clairvoyance is tenuous.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah but why would Woo care that Spencer left them? I think Woo was planning to use that as a pretense to get into Spencer's pants, hoping to grab an idol or clue and it just ended up being even easier than he expected.

he can hardly be blamed. I'd want to get into spencer's pants too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'd like to think they can't give the Survivors Blooming Onions during the Outback challenge because it would unfairly give the remaining contestants enough calories to last the rest of the way without having to worry about eating anymore.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've never been to Outback. Is it any good?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

Huge portions, fair prices and dumb kitschy poo poo on the walls.

So it's basically every chain restaurant created in the last 20 years.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Nothing to write home about though.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
This episode started out pretty badly (petty squabbles and product placement challenge) but the idol scramble was pretty cool. I think if Spencer played the game more aggressively he could have done something like lie about what kind of idol he found or made it evident he had it. But I think it's clear that neither of the two big alliances are really tight and Spencer is just looking out for himself and doesn't care if his alliance implodes as long as he's not going home. I mean even if he did play the idol on Morgan and they got out Tony, how much loyalty would that buy? Morgan isn't really playing hard enough to be winning individual immunity (which does help their alliance) or busting out secret idols. And there would still be a ton of challenge threats around.

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 11, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's not bad, but it's imperative that you stick to something with steak. All their non-steak stuff is bland to awful.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rick posted:

It's not bad, but it's imperative that you stick to something with steak. All their non-steak stuff is bland to awful.

Aww, I thought I could go to Outback Chicken Caesar Salad House all in the same go :mad:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Uh, I'm pretty sure Morgan said it's the best salad she's ever had in her life. If you can't trust that testimonial then I don't know what you can believe in

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's not hardcore, but I definitely crave vegetables whenever my diet's in the shitter.

Morgan: investigative journalism you can believe in ( . Y . )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

LeJackal posted:

How about not rifle through people's poo poo, throw their pants in the river and then run off like the thief he was?

Hey man, you just left your wallet laying around, how can you be mad when I search through it, take your money, and then throw the wallet in a trash can?

I guess you would hate Rupert stealing the other tribes shoes in on of his seasons then lol. All non idol and essential clothing seems fair game in survivor

• Locked thread