Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Heck, this could basically a tricorder type device for various analysis.

If it were positioned and marketed towards the technical market - say, the medical or aerospace industries - I would agree. However, everything they've revealed so far seems to be aimed squarely at the consumer market, where the desktop PC paradigm simply isn't a thing; and tablets, like the whole mobile computing boom, only really took off after they branched off and formed their own distinct space wholly separate from desktop PCs.

It's currently tech for the sake of tech: even smartwatches invented the problem of having to take your phone out of your pocket to do Phone Things, whereas I just don't see the problem that Ara solves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

spincube posted:

If it were positioned and marketed towards the technical market - say, the medical or aerospace industries - I would agree. However, everything they've revealed so far seems to be aimed squarely at the consumer market, where the desktop PC paradigm simply isn't a thing; and tablets, like the whole mobile computing boom, only really took off after they branched off and formed their own distinct space wholly separate from desktop PCs.

It's currently tech for the sake of tech: even smartwatches invented the problem of having to take your phone out of your pocket to do Phone Things, whereas I just don't see the problem that Ara solves.

As much as Google is an evil corporation looking to sell my attention and personal information as a commodity, at least they attempt these crazy out there ideas. The other alternative is that they could just release the same hardware for five years, upgrade a processor annually or just re-skin it, and call that innovation. I'd much prefer they try these sort of wild things like self driving cars, Ara or Glass. It's a neat idea, and like most Google products, it's more of a "hey we have this idea, lets give it to the world and let them have fun with it, and if it does't get traction we'll kill it off. For every five ideas they attempt, a few get killed, but a lot really take off. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

It solves the problem that upgradeable PC's solve.

I can upgrade from 4G to 5G or a new CPU or a new screen without buying a whole new device.

Whether or not the costs work out where this is actually worth it or not, we won't know until they start talking about costs. If the frame + modules cost significantly more than a normal smartphone and/or the modules themselves are close enough to the same price as just buying a whole new smartphone, then who cares.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

It solves the problem that upgradeable PC's solve.

I can upgrade from 4G to 5G or a new CPU or a new screen without buying a whole new device.

That's fine and nerds like us might like it, but I would wager the number of people that have ever upgraded something in their laptop is hovering in the low single digits. Exactly as spincube said, the desktop PC paradigm doesn't exist for many. Especially for your phone, where the vast majority of people get a new one for "free" or $100 every two years, there is no "upgradeable PC problem" to be solved, nor any perception that there is such a problem.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Civil posted:

OnePlus is still talking poo poo with nothing to show. The reveal is on 4/23. Thus far, the big advantage Samsung has in this battle is "exists" vs "does not exist".

Jesus Christ, I wish these assholes would shut the gently caress up already and just show the goddamn phone if it exists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Play Services is being updated to extend the Verify app functionality to sideloaded applications as well as continual protection scans of already installed apps.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/10/google-continuous-app-check/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

That's fine and nerds like us might like it, but I would wager the number of people that have ever upgraded something in their laptop is hovering in the low single digits. Exactly as spincube said, the desktop PC paradigm doesn't exist for many. Especially for your phone, where the vast majority of people get a new one for "free" or $100 every two years, there is no "upgradeable PC problem" to be solved, nor any perception that there is such a problem.

Right, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether I, or people like us, would care.

I mean, if your argument is "this won't succeed because not enough people will care" that's a plausible point that we'll just have to see. If your argument is "there is no problem this solves", then you're just wrong.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Right, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether I, or people like us, would care.

I mean, if your argument is "this won't succeed because not enough people will care" that's a plausible point that we'll just have to see. If your argument is "there is no problem this solves", then you're just wrong.

I suppose you could also market it to consumers, you could have a really nice DSLR module for serious photography, and a smaller module for every day. Also if you dropped it and broke the screen, just buy a new shell. There's a decent amount of consumer ideas, but it all comes down to price.

For example, I'd love for it to have an option ethernet port that you can use as an ethertool, or a home owner could borrow a thermal camera module to do an energy assessment of his house. Also they could release screen free chassis to build home automation devices.

There's no end to the possibilities!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bull3964 posted:

Play Services is being updated to extend the Verify app functionality to sideloaded applications as well as continual protection scans of already installed apps.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/10/google-continuous-app-check/

Any rational person would assume this would mark the end of all the virus-scanner apps.

However...

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I just hope there is an SD card reader block.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sereri posted:

Any rational person would assume this would mark the end of all the virus-scanner apps.

However...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/10/google-is-rolling-out-constant-on-device-scanning-for-verify-apps-feature/#disqus_thread

The comments here are better than XDA's. :v:

deadlinguo
Nov 17, 2004
when the revolution comes
Edit: This should have gone into a different thread I think.

deadlinguo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 10, 2014

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are Sony likely to release an Xperia Z2 Compact edition as they did with the Z1, or was that likely more of a one-off thing? I'm liking the reviews of the Z2 but I'm thinking the screen size is just too much for my wee pockets. Maybe it's different when you see it in person, but it looks enormous.

I was reading a few old phone reviews from around 2009, and one of the negatives of an old HTC Windows Mobile was that the 4.3 inch screen may be too big. Now 4.3" is the compact edition. I went from a Sony Ericsson slide phone to an HTC Desire in 2010. This thing had a 3.7" screen and at the time I felt like I was carrying around a brute. Funny how my perception of these things has changed over the past few years.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I'm fairly certain I'm going to get a S5 here in a few weeks when my contract is up, but I've been using a Galaxy Nexus for the last few years and I'm worried that I'm going to hate Touchwiz.

Can the aspects of Touchwiz that I dislike be individually removed in favor of stock Android, or is it an all-or-nothing kind of thing?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

AhhYes posted:

I'm fairly certain I'm going to get a S5 here in a few weeks when my contract is up, but I've been using a Galaxy Nexus for the last few years and I'm worried that I'm going to hate Touchwiz.

Can the aspects of Touchwiz that I dislike be individually removed in favor of stock Android, or is it an all-or-nothing kind of thing?

You can replace the launcher/home screen and all the S-Crap apps, but that's it. Everything else (notification tray, phone settings, basically all the non-app functions) can't be changed.

Just get a Nexus 5 or something if you're worried about Touchwiz.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

AhhYes posted:

Touchwiz isn't really an issue. The camera is awesome, and some of the under the hood stuff, like the power management settings are nice to have. People complain about the launcher (which can be swapped out, or even replaced by the google launcher the nexus uses), and take issue with the settings menu or pull down toggles.

It still runs android apps perfectly and works just fine for most people. Read a few reviews and see it in person at a phone store to see if it's right for you. Don't just take the anti-Samsung messages you read here as the last word.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AhhYes posted:

I'd take full advantage of your carriers return policy, honestly. I know Verizon at least, gives you 13 days from the date you sign the contract to change your mind and return it for a different phone. Usually they charge you a ~$30 or 40 restocking fee for this, but some 3rd party vendors like Best Buy don't have a restocking fee (at least they didn't as of 6 months ago).

So basically go find a Best Buy, get an s5 and try it out for week and a half. The Touchwiz stuff probably won't bother you honestly, it only seems to bother a subset of people on this forum.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

I Googled around and apparently a bulging Nexus 4 battery is common enough for reports to show up everywhere online. Any idea if my warranty is still valid for the battery repair despite the hack repair? I'm not sure if they'd be able to notice it was done. The phone is mine (i.e. not from a wireless provider) and I live in Canada, if that matters any.

If the battery is authentic, they'll almost certainly replace it. As mentioned, there are liability issues involved due to the batteries basically being explosive and from what I understand, companies are generally quite happy to make the issue go away as quickly as possible.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

AhhYes posted:

For what it's worth:

quote:

In a nod to criticism, Samsung has cut back on the number of its Samsung-branded preloads. You can still download the ones you want through the Samsung Apps shortcut in your apps tray, and through Galaxy Essentials, an item in your menu button.
http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s5/

Having my first experience with a Samsung phone to be an S3, I didn't think it was all that bad and replacing a launcher allowed for a lot of look and feel changes. But then again I didn't have Nexus experience either so I didn't know what to look for as far as Touchwiz features and bloat.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What I hate the most with Touchwiz is the notification tray and the settings menu, stuff like that. I hate to sound like a broken record, but my current ROM is touchwiz-based but replaces it all with an AOSP UI. It runs damned well and I have no complaints now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also if you dropped it and broke the screen, just buy a new shell.
[...]
Also they could release screen free chassis to build home automation devices.
The screen is a module, by the way, not part of the exo (the "shell"). You can even choose what screensize you want (within certain limits based on the exo size you get, obviously).

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

PerrineClostermann posted:

What I hate the most with Touchwiz is the notification tray and the settings menu, stuff like that. I hate to sound like a broken record, but my current ROM is touchwiz-based but replaces it all with an AOSP UI. It runs damned well and I have no complaints now.

How do they differ? I'm not defensive about Touchwiz, I just don't know how they changed it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Agitator posted:

How do they differ? I'm not defensive about Touchwiz, I just don't know how they changed it.

Literally all the system UI elements have been replaced with AOSP. All the goodness of TouchWiz (basically S-Pen support) with none of the horrible design choices. That notification drawer is garbage.

e: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2620723

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 11, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Civil posted:

Touchwiz isn't really an issue. The camera is awesome, and some of the under the hood stuff, like the power management settings are nice to have. People complain about the launcher (which can be swapped out, or even replaced by the google launcher the nexus uses), and take issue with the settings menu or pull down toggles.

It still runs android apps perfectly and works just fine for most people. Read a few reviews and see it in person at a phone store to see if it's right for you. Don't just take the anti-Samsung messages you read here as the last word.

Yeah, I don't mind TW that much myself. It's kinda ugly but otherwise it's fine. I love the Samsung camera app and never really experienced the lag that everyone talks about. Or maybe I'm just more tolerant, I dunno.

Anyway, so I went to the store today to get my Note 3 and came back without it because they only have the black ones and I wanted a white one. They searched their database and literally no stores anywhere have even a single white Note 3 in stock. I'm gonna have to have it mailed to me which might take 2 - 3 weeks. I don't really mind waiting but I'm kinda bummed that I couldn't buy it today. I'm so used to Samsung devices being white by default that it didn't even occur to me that they wouldn't have one at the store. Bleh.

e: my husband is ordering a Nexus 7 tonight. He doesn't like the cases from Google Play but he would really like at least a sleeve or something so he doesn't have to worry about it getting scratched or damaged in his bag. Any recommendations?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SwissCM posted:

If the battery is authentic, they'll almost certainly replace it. As mentioned, there are liability issues involved due to the batteries basically being explosive and from what I understand, companies are generally quite happy to make the issue go away as quickly as possible.

Just got off the phone with Google. My warranty expired yesterday but they're still sending me a replacement completely free-of-charge! :woop:

I might have to pay to get the old one shipped out, but oh well. It sure beats buying a new phone in the interim.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

the kawaiiest posted:

e: my husband is ordering a Nexus 7 tonight. He doesn't like the cases from Google Play but he would really like at least a sleeve or something so he doesn't have to worry about it getting scratched or damaged in his bag. Any recommendations?
If only we had a thread called "24/7 Nexus 7 case-chat"

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If only we had a thread called "24/7 Nexus 7 case-chat"

Oooops :saddowns: sorry!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

the kawaiiest posted:

Oooops :saddowns: sorry!

T-Mobile is going to be selling the LTE versions of all their tablets for the same price as the Wi-Fi only models, so maybe wait for that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e: I was wrong

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Right so I can't decide between getting a Moto X or a Nexus 5.
Both are similarly prices and can be had for 350~ Im leaning towards a Moto X due to its better battery life.

Im curious as to how Motorola handles their warranties, a few posts above me someone got their expired warranty Nexus 4 replaced.
Has anyone had any experience dealing with Motorola's warranty?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tha Chodesweller posted:

It's probably good from a futureproofing perspective if you wanted to hold onto your phone for like 4 years, but Android has gotten good enough with memory management and all that jazz that in the future the only apps that will really be starved for RAM will be games.

If you get a phone with 2GB you aren't shooting yourself in the foot.

Lblitzer posted:

It probably makes little no difference I'm guessing because the 801 is a faster and more efficient cpu to the 800. Benchmarks for both battery and performance tests has the S5 beating out the Note in nearly every single one. Android already has good memory management and with the new version of Touchwiz I imagine they didn't see it as a large benefit.

Godinster posted:

This is pretty much spot on. I've used both extensively and have yet to run in a scenario on the S5 where I think more RAM would have helped.

Thanks, one less thing to think about. :)

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="428150141"]
T-Mobile is going to be selling the LTE versions of all their tablets for the same price as the Wi-Fi only models, so maybe wait for that?
We were just at the store today and they said we'd have to add a data plan for the tablet if we bought one from them and my husband didn't really want to do that. We're connected to wifi 24/7 and barely ever touch our mobile data so he felt it would be a waste of money, especially since the tablets are still a bit more expensive there than on Google Play. Thanks, though. :)

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Civil posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this. Just threw the Google launcher on my S5 and now I'd say it's drat near perfect, as Samsung had already mostly fixed TouchWiz.

I grabbed the Google launcher from http://d-h.st/iNW in case anyone's looking for it. Downloaded straight to phone and sideloaded.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Digital Jesus posted:

I grabbed the Google launcher from http://d-h.st/iNW in case anyone's looking for it. Downloaded straight to phone and sideloaded.

You don't need to sideload it anymore, it's on the Play store now FYI. "Google Now Launcher."

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

You don't need to sideload it anymore, it's on the Play store now FYI. "Google Now Launcher."

Only works on Nexus or GPE phones. All others need to sideload.

There are 3rd party ones but the official one is restricted to the above.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
Samsung Note 3 over Samsung S5 if price is the same. Thoughts?

To expand:

I like the size of the note and using a stylus to text and write sounds awesome in theory. However its a few months old and I don't want to miss any spectacular upgrades in the S5.

Chiken n' Waffles fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 11, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Samsung Note 3 over Samsung S5 if price is the same. Thoughts?

The Note 3 is bigger and has a stylus but the S5 is more powerful/has newer hardware. The S5 has a fingerprint reader and finally got the multitasking button right (instead of soft menu key). The S5 is also more rugged with the IP67 certification. In a bit you'll be able to get a QI charging back that maintains IP67.

The Note 3 is not a better phone than the S5 and there will be a Note 4 in a couple months.

The main S series gets updates in Sprint the Notes get updated in fall.

Do you want a stylus and the ability to draw on your phone, if yes get the Note. If you don't care about drawing then the S5 is probably a better choice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stick100 posted:

The Note 3 is bigger and has a stylus but the S5 is more powerful/has newer hardware. The S5 has a fingerprint reader and finally got the multitasking button right (instead of soft menu key). The S5 is also more rugged with the IP67 certification. In a bit you'll be able to get a QI charging back that maintains IP67.

The Note 3 is not a better phone than the S5 and there will be a Note 4 in a couple months.

The main S series gets updates in Sprint the Notes get updated in fall.

Do you want a stylus and the ability to draw on your phone, if yes get the Note. If you don't care about drawing then the S5 is probably a better choice.

Hardware power's not really a concern these days.

Am I the only one who prefers a menu button to a multitasking button?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

Hardware power's not really a concern these days.

Am I the only one who prefers a menu button to a multitasking button?

Nope. I like my menu button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Are there any good ad blockers that you can sideload without root (because S5)?

• Locked thread