Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
look for cinder block buildings with the business name painted on the side, f350's with rusted out utility beds parked out front, gravel driveways

seriously i got a $50 refurb for the blazer with a 1year warranty that was like 25% larger than the one that was in it, fellas were very nice and threw in a pair of new terminals no charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Jonny 290 posted:

battery stuff

I've got a couple of deep cycles kicking around, including an old calcium king that ive been looking for a use for because i literally do not trust it to do anything vaguely important plus the truck has 2 180ah 1000cca in it for starting and 2 80ah that I can tap off, batts are already isolated too.

so what, build a standard dipole and just throw it into whatever tree is available?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah dipoles are an excellent and reliable antenna, definitely just stick with wire antennas for now if you can. its so much simpler. you could do a trap dipole for 40 and 20 meters, or a Windom, there are several different ways to go and part of the fun is figuring out which one works best in each environment. don't bother with trying to run a mobile style antenna off the truck itself though, a 3m whip just isn't going to do poo poo on 40 meters, you'll hate it, no fun.

the super lazy portable strat is to just throw a 20 meter long wire up in a tree, get it up as high as you can and feed it down to an antenna tuner, and use the vehicle as the ground (just connect a short ground wire from the tuner to a solid bolt on the vehicle chassis/frame). unpredictable and sometimes hard to tune, but a classic fast and easy portable setup

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!
ok, i'm back in town on the 22nd for like two weeks so im gonna try and find a radio within that time, if that works out i should be good to go

hopefully in a bit ill be drinkin beers, watching the stars and doing fun radio poo poo

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Apparently the only 2m repeater is in the tow 10 mi north of us. Can't hit it clearly, hoping new antenna does the trick. Also gonna go get ham plate today lol.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
just bought two Icom F110 25W VHF mobile rigs, gonna pick them up next tuesday, one for a overhead shelf-mounted base station to chat on the repeater and one for the DV hotspot since it has a better receiver than the 80s rig im using now

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i meant to ask the lady if i could come back w/ a second vehicle's license plate and have matching ham plates on 2 vehicles.

also i rly hope i don't get pulled over for not having a plate while i wait for mine to get made that would be so dumb

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

you didn't get a temp plate? most DMVs will print out a 3-day or something, hell you can do it online in my state

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeeeeeeah go get a temp

also tbqh you need a big rear end antenna on the burb man, i say we pool funds and get you one of these and a 10 meter rig

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

yeeeeeeah go get a temp

also tbqh you need a big rear end antenna on the burb man, i say we pool funds and get you one of these and a 10 meter rig

quote:

PENETRATOR HAM SPARROW
mmmmmmmooooooodsss

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

you didn't get a temp plate? most DMVs will print out a 3-day or something, hell you can do it online in my state

i asked 'do i get a paper plate or anything' and the lady shook her head. lol. i mean if i get pulled over ive got the registration sticker that goes on the plate and its got my callsign and everything else it just sucks cause hey look a guy w/o a plate lets pull his rear end over.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

yeeeeeeah go get a temp

yeah the burb def needs a fuckoff big antenna, i'm just getting bids back from contractors for newhouse right now and it makes me just want to live in a shoebox and eat pb+j for the rest of my life and not buy anything else ever lol.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
On the exact other side of the radio spectrum, I look forward to see whether or not the earl actually works.
VHF+UHF+SDR+flexible e-ink+solar+gps box that runs the android. I'm afraid they're biting off a bit more than they can chew but if they pull it off it'd be pretty much the dream outdoors computing solution.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jimmy Carter posted:

On the exact other side of the radio spectrum, I look forward to see whether or not the earl actually works.
VHF+UHF+SDR+flexible e-ink+solar+gps box that runs the android. I'm afraid they're biting off a bit more than they can chew but if they pull it off it'd be pretty much the dream outdoors computing solution.

I saw this thing a few weeks ago and decided to hold off on buying a Kindle

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
why is it that i don't find out about ham poo poo until day before? hamfest in memphis tmw apparently. if i go to memphis and wife comes shes gonna want to spend $500 at target so idk

https://sites.google.com/a/maraonline.org/mara-online/freefest

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

why is it that i don't find out about ham poo poo until day before? hamfest in memphis tmw apparently. if i go to memphis and wife comes shes gonna want to spend $500 at target so idk

https://sites.google.com/a/maraonline.org/mara-online/freefest

yeah hams are terrible about promoting things ahead of time. the only time i hear about hamfests is either the day before or three days after

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
yessssssssssssssssssssssss found some digital stuff on the business licensed freqs gonna whip out the laptop and see if i cna figure out who it is cause im assuming only cops and military can do encryption

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Anybody wanna give me a read on this?

http://fayar.craigslist.org/ele/4404448950.html

fairly tempted.

e: looks like a Hitachi VC-6155

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 11, 2014

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm reading the study guides and will probably go for a technician license in may

thanks yospos.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

fairly tempted.

analog scopes :3:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

fairly tempted.

looks like it's an equivalent time 100 MSPs 100 MHz digital scope with a 100 MHz analog mode as well, equivalent time is ok for analyzing repetitive signals but you'd only want to use it up to about 10 MHz to analyze non-repetitive signals (for viewing a waveform 10 samples per cycle is usually needed to give a reasonably true representation)

I say go for it, i loved the hybrid analog/digital storage scopes when i used them myself

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alright im going to arrange a meet and see what he's got

he's got a fluke 105 too but i aint got 600 bucks

this, however, is interesting

http://fayar.craigslist.org/ele/4404528601.html

i'd negotiate way down on it, but i may be able to buy up some of this dudes shop for supercheap

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Jonny 290 posted:

yeeeeeeah go get a temp

if you're gonna put a big-rear end antenna on your truck you gotta make sure you drill a hole through a tennis ball and slide that fucker on there for ultimate pro points. dont want that thing whappin up your paint, right?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

teledildonics posted:

if you're gonna put a big-rear end antenna on your truck you gotta make sure you drill a hole through a tennis ball and slide that fucker on there for ultimate pro points. dont want that thing whappin up your paint, right?

gently caress yes

also yeah if u want paper tags u gotta be a car dealer lol

https://www.dor.ms.gov/docs/mvl_7690610.pdf

this fukken state.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cool, scope guy called me back, seems legit

gonna look at nerd gear in a bit!

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i bought a "H-250" handset with an Icom plug, it's mostly targeted at airsoft guys who want to look military (like the PRC 152 i linked before)

original sonetronics version

Airsoft model

it's surprisingly good, the cord is decent but more plastic than the genuine Sonetronics one i have, what's clear is that it's not a modified original handset like the TRI branded ones were rumored to be, the original one is mostly waterproof with dynamic mics and no screws, the whole unit is glued together and not meant to be serviced
it looks like they've recreated the chassis and made a very close replica, the microphone is almost certainly an electret instead of the noise cancelling dynamic mic (they're arranged to be directional) used in the original, the assembly is a fair bit lighter but still well built

not a lot of strain relief on the connector is unfortunate, the original has a large piece of rubber tubing on the lead whereas this is mostly straight out, though there is some rubber just where the cable enters so they have put some thought into it at least, I might put some heavy duty rubber tape and a large shrink tube around it

the good part is that the actual speaker, microphone and PTT are very close to the original, mic is clear, sensitive and suitable frequency response for a two way radio and has a wind screen built in, speaker sounds pretty much the same as the original and gets very loud before distorting, PTT is solid, different than the Sonetronics but not in a bad way

i wish it were possible to use the internal speaker at the same time as this though, but that's a general problem with things like this

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Taco Bell drive thru thought: could/does trbo use OpenSSL

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is that a question I should even be asking???

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
answer to everything: no

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no connection whatsoever

sunday radio status: playing with psk31, found my old interface (scary din plug on one end, 2x 1/8" on the other. no ptt, gotta tx/rx manually) and listening to psk31 and rtty today

which brings me to: does one listen to psk31, or watch it?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i like to listen to rtty transmissions, they're kind of soothing

reading old posts in AI, gonna crosspost from kastein:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

these guys know what's up with wiring, read and learn

takeaway: shrink tubes with glue = pro tier, use real wire strippers, never solder a connector (we must all deviate from time to time but it's not an acceptable production technique),
shielded cables with mil connectors and epoxy sealant = god tier, cable ties suck, shrink tube label maker = :getin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
read the whole thing, love it

Since the oscilloscope dude stopped answering the phone, i have a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket, so doing some small purchases for the radio desk

1x USB->TTL FTDI cable. these need literally zero interface to become an icom ci-v interface, you tie tx and rx together and those become the data bus. boom done
1x USB->serial because I can't afford the nice Startech 4x interface yet, but need a single RS232 port for random serial duties. Daily drivin' task will likely be running the PCR100
2x male BNC->female SMA adapters because I am standardizing my RX chains on SMA, one for the PCR100, one for my backup scanner
1x MCX to female SMA pigtail for the SDR because ^

I am also pondering getting going on that mini whip project. do yall see any problem in the world with me running that off 50-75 feet of rg6? really thinking that on RX chains I don't need to cry about impedance too much, especially if i have a preamp ahead of it, and i've heard of 75 ohm rx systems before that had no problems. and i like the concept of running 75 ohm lines with (proper) F connectors, to eliminate any possibility of transmitting 40 watts of psk31 into a preamp or whatever.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 14, 2014

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

fwiw I've been using RG-6 for scanners for years and haven't had a problem... plus like you say it's almost impossible to fry a preamp or multicoupler if you only use RG6 with them. stick with the solid copper center conductor stuff if you can, but the copperweld stuff will do in a pinch.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
woop FTDI and serials ordered. i can use my pcr100 again, and control my big icoms! and even program my IC-208h (it can't be controlled via ci-v but the right channel of the speaker jack is the programming port)

one of these days i will have an extra $150 to throw around and will buy the interface board to get my 271a on CI-V, which would owwwwwwwwwwwn for satellite work

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
you'd want to change the output driver resistor in the buffer stage is all, and terminating properly at the receiver wouldn't hurt

i got my RG-174 cables for the mini-whip, it's clearly not suitable for any of my VHF+ gear so i'm not worried

got the shielded reed relays, they're just dip packages with a bit of metal around them, won't have time to do anything with them before easter though
also got the INA-10386 Agilent preamp IC, might use that for something later, noise figure is a bit high compared to the PSA4 IC though so it's probably better as an IF amp or PA driver (well, P1dB figure is crap too...)

plus i built a few power distribution units out of screw terminals, glue, and a block of wood, now the shelf above the posting station has 60W of 12V and 10W of 5V to power various bits and pieces, should get the F110s and maybe some more goodies tomorrow so everything's ready for it now

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
just got a uv-3r and this janky looking panel to have up at the cabin. panel seems to direct charge just fine and the foymount repeater is super close. cell phone reception is abysmal and I wanted a more reliable way to call out if i break my leg or something. still waiting for a chance to take the test so i can start having some actual fun with radio, but it feels good to have an HT around even without a licence in case there's a serious emergency

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i believe radio has a very strong use case in any type of remote areas and can provide not only lifesaving emergency communications but also a lot of boredom-killing chat and interaction. i could live in the woods indefinitely with like monthly trips into town as long as i could have a radio setup that i could jabber on for a half hour a day, maybe listen to some news, so on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
$2 worth of parts for a noise generator + sdr = poor man's filter analyzer

this is tight

http://hansvi.be/wordpress/?p=91

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
if you could get a cal on that it would be super tight, only issue then is dynamic range (still need it to properly measure sharp filters) but it's soo much better than nothing

of loving course what i discovered is that my plan of just making an adapter to connect my old Icom HT programming cable to the F110s is stillborn since they tie tx and rx together, and the only TTL serial interfaces i have is a few of those cables
ordered the proper cable from the UK but still won't get here before easter
looks like i may actually have some use of the PCI-e RS232 card i bought back in january, it's been sitting untested since then so if i can get a d-sub connector and maybe a max232 from work i'll be all set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
walked away with an IC-W2E as well, duplex 2m/70cm! looks like the encoder is a bit dirty since sometimes it only goes one way, otherwise in perfect shape

the F110s are all working perfectly as well, a bit dusty and no brackets for now, but the guy said he was gonna find some for next time, they're so cute and tiny!

even managed to use some 80s cerdip package MC1488/89 ICs to make a RS-232 to TTL adapter and got the programming done tonight, probably gonna add some maritime channels and other useful stuff (i'm licensed for it so why not) tomorrow

• Locked thread